PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to learn to think more positively?

bighead384
03-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Or, is it simply a character trait that, for the most part, can't be changed?

I've tried different ways to inspire myself to think more positively, but it's never a permanent thing. Something may inspire me for a week or two, but it never lasts. But of course, this is just my experience. Has anyone managed to changed the frequency of their negative or positive thoughts?

Edit: Come to think of it, I'm more concerned with other people's experiences than whether it's "possible" or not.

Jojan
03-26-2012, 11:50 AM
If people can make themselves believe that there is a deity, and that Apple makes good products, then you can make yourself think positively. You just have to practice more.

Defender
03-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Thinking negatively is something nobody can control. It just comes to mind. Positive thoughts don't last for a long time. There is always something that breaks the positiveness.

Llamas
03-26-2012, 01:10 PM
I've had success with thinking more positively. I spent a couple years being overly negative and seeing the bad side of everything. Stressing and worrying about nothing, and just overall a pile of negativity. In the last half a year or so, though, I've managed to overturn that to a certain extent and am now a much more optimistic person than I'd been. Feels good, man.

bighead384
03-26-2012, 01:43 PM
I have this thing against the idea that the acknowledgement that positive thinking is more beneficial than negative thinking should be enough to inspire a person to become a positive thinker. Positive and negative thoughts are influenced by feelings/emotions. And of course your feelings are based on rational analysis. So if you have many negative feelings, perhaps for legitimate reasons, you're going to have many negative thoughts.

I like the "militaristic positivity" tag. There's a tool on my FB friends list that fits that description.

the_real_potomek
03-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Hehe, thread for me. I think it is possible to learn to think more positively, but I haven't found the way myself yet. In theory focusing on the bright sides of things should help, but in practice it's so tempting to focus on the negative ones:p

mrconeman
03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
I would presume to say that it's possible to go from a state of thinking negatively to a state of thinking positively, yes. However to "learn" to go from one to the other is an entirely different thing. I would say that kind of thing has to happen naturally, or even chemically (heroin makes people happy, right? same with anti-depressants ...if they work, I wouldn't know).

Despite internet appearances, and a sometimes really grim view of the human race as a whole (but very rarely a grim view of individuals interestingly), I have a sometimes overwhelmingly positive thought process pretty much all of the time. I don't know why.

Anyhow, yeah, if it's possible for happy healthy people to slip into a state of depression, then it's possible to slip back to being happy and healthy, and weather or not drugging yourself, or like I dunno, meditating or some shit, qualifies as "learning to be positive" is up to your definition when you made the thread.

Layna
03-26-2012, 04:12 PM
It is really difficult, of course I've tried, now that I have a new job and I never though it would be that hard, Im a teacher and after 7 hours of classes i feel like ....fed up!...and sometimes I think that everything sucks, im not in the mood, :mad: etc...I have been reading a book about neuro-linguistic programming, I consider it is really good, I have a lot of theory but to put that in practice is not as easy as it looks like.

Layna
03-26-2012, 04:15 PM
I've had success with thinking more positively. I spent a couple years being overly negative and seeing the bad side of everything. Stressing and worrying about nothing, and just overall a pile of negativity. In the last half a year or so, though, I've managed to overturn that to a certain extent and am now a much more optimistic person than I'd been. Feels good, man.

How did you do that?

My Name Was Taken
03-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Over the years I've noticed that my thought have become more negative. I'm not sure I know how to be positive anymore :/

yellow
03-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Positive and negative thoughts are choice you make, which way do you want to think. How you think effects how you feel and choices you make.

DUKENT
04-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Move to Hawaii, it should help.

bighead384
04-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I would say that it is a reality that there is more to be negative about than positive about in life.

Life isn't fair, people suffer needlessly, and even in the best conditions there are, people spend much more time doing things that suck/being bored.

For these reason, I can't often think positively. Because for me, positive thinking can only be spurred by actual positive events in reality, of which there are few.