PDA

View Full Version : What accounts for Guidos?

bighead384
03-26-2012, 06:19 PM
I mean, what exactly is it about the Italian-American experience that has led to such a horrible type of person? And that's not to mention the other genre of Italian-American losers: the mafia wannabes. Pretty similar to guidos but not exactly the same as the modern day guido.

Honestly, I really don't know how I expect people to approach this conversation. I mean, it seems stupid to me too, but then...the fact that guidos exist in the first place is even stupider.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-26-2012, 06:22 PM
You have created 277 threads. At this point are you just going for a record or something?

bighead384
03-26-2012, 06:25 PM
You have created 277 threads. At this point are you just going for a record or something?
Sorry, I use this place as a personal outlet for things. It's all good though.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-26-2012, 08:03 PM
I've criticized bighead for many things before, but honestly I'm glad someone is making threads around here. Props to him for that.

I think you're just seeing the first generation of Italian-Americans that came from wealth while their families were in the US. Not long ago Italian-Americans were looked upon as scum and were overwhelmingly poor. They have since had a sizable population achieve monetary success, and that population has bred.

I think that apart from their home lives, their kids probably have 100% normal American lives. I view their fashion as a modernized version of their parents' Mafia-stereotype fashion. It's like a disillusioned youthful blend of what the "cool kids" at their high schools wore, with their parents' taste for fancy Armani suits and the like.

It's also not exclusively an Italian thing. I had an encounter- actually a spring break trip to Montreal- with these 4 Indian guys from Jersey who had that exact style, and that was before Jersey Shore existed and before I knew what a "guido" was. Maybe it's just being an Americanized immigrant.

And if you want to look at the Jersey aspect of it- immigrants tend to go to large cities, with New York being by far the largest hub for Italians. Jersey is where lots of wealthy New Yorkers end up settling.

mrconeman
03-26-2012, 08:05 PM

I'm just happy that he's starting to go through the other minorities, because he has to run out eventually.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
I guess if he didn't create so many threads, we'd complain about how limited the discussion on here is. Thanks Bighead, maybe you do deserve an award or something.

Isolated Fury
03-26-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't think this argument is exclusive to Italian-Americans (since when am I not just an American, btw?)

It's more that people of certain groups feel the need to play into the stereotypes typified by large media outlets. I'm Italian. I've never acted like the idiots you see on television. I've also never watched Jersey Shore or any other similar shows. I can't name three cast members. There's no pressure in my life to play into those roles. On the topic of other groups, my black friends have all admitted one thing to me: young black people watch too much BET. You could almost call it self-brainwashing. Again, you can apply this to more groups than just "Italian-Americans."

mrconeman
03-26-2012, 09:57 PM
I predict he plans to apply this same bullshit to every -American, in it's own exclusive thread.

Isolated Fury
03-26-2012, 10:05 PM
I predict he plans to apply this same bullshit to every -American, in it's own exclusive thread.
That's not exactly the point I was trying to make by bringing that up. I was born in the United States. My father was born in the United States. My grandfather was born in the United States. As far as I'm concerned, I'm an American with Italian heritage. Hell. Just call me an American. I feel like adding "-American" to everything is pointless jargon made to make people feel uncomfortable.

mrconeman
03-26-2012, 10:34 PM
You're preaching to the converted, my friend. I literally wrote this on Facebook the other day

"If you were born and raised in America, to parents who themselves were born and raised in America, you are an American."
In reference to Americans who call themselves Irish, but have no living Irish relatives, and have never been to Ireland.

It is completely pointless jargon to make people feel important about themselves, and it's completely retarded.

I for one, have no idea about my heritage beyond my great-great grand parents on either side of my family, and everyone I know of, was born and raised here in Ireland, but I'm sure if you go back further in time, I'll have all sorts of Euro-centric ancestry, but I have no intention of running around calling myself "Germanic, Slavic, Spanish, Scottish, Welsh, English, Russian-Irish". It's totally pointless. I'm Irish. Be proud of your heritage if you want, but don't claim to be part of that culture.

That's not at all what I was getting at though. Simply that Bighead likes to flaunt really stupid generalisations about sub-sections of society, and then accuse everyone else of thinking it too, but not have the balls to say it on a (relatively) anonymous internet forum, which of course in itself simply extends his retardation. He has made several threads and comments just like this in the past, which I'm not sure if you've seen.

samseby
03-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Sorry, I use this place as a personal outlet for things. It's all good though.

Like that ;) ... kind of.

bighead384
03-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Guido behavior, in my opinion, is based on the image of organized Italian-American crime. Which is why guidos are so prominent in northeast cities and suburbs.

But that doesn't fully explain it for me. Other ethnicities had/have organized crime in the northeast too, and there's definitely not anything nearly as predominant as guidos with other ethnicities. Well, at least not with any European ethnicities who are generally well-off and rarely discriminated against.

BagOfShenanigans
03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
When the prohibition ended, the Italian-Americans still had guns, ammo, alcohol, and attitudes; but no purpose.
They don't know anything else. Douchbaggery is their forte`.

[/Generalized rant that would be offensive if I wasn't mostly Italian, and is probably still offensive despite my ethnicity]

Llamas
03-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Where's the stereotypes about German-Polish-Bohemian-Americans? I'm curious about what I'm like based on bighead's stereotypes.

And I have no idea what Guidos are. Are they just Americans with Italian roots? If so, I dunno. I don't know my friends' heritage, so I'm not sure if I know any.