PDA

View Full Version : Soundgarden releases new 22-second song preview.

Omni
03-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Called Live to Rise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVWjZ6Hk9Jg), and it's going to be released May 1st for the new Avengers soundtrack. Their first new studio recording in 15 years.

It's just guitar and drums, and I can't make a real opinion of it because it's only 22 seconds. But it's something new for this slow section of the forum to discuss. I really do like the riff. I'm interested in how Cornell's vocals are going to sound. They haven't specified whether it's going to be on the new album or if it's just for the movie soundtrack.

"Live to Rise" is such a lame fucking pseudo-deep post-grunge kind of title, though. I would expect a title like that from Alter Bridge or Shinedown or something.

Omni
04-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Well, the song is out. Here it is. (http://oron.com/u6lb9m6y54ee)

The guitarwork is fantastic, and Cornell sounds great. But the song kind of sucks. I'm pretty sure this is just a song written for the movie, though, and won't make it on the album. At least I hope. That rockin' ass intro was extraordinarily misleading.

A lot of Soundgarden's music takes multiple listens. It took forever for the majority of Down on the Upside to grow on me. I don't think I'll come to really like this one, however. Soundgarden has rarely ever disappointed me album-wise, so I still have hope that the record will be good.

Rooster
04-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Well, it doesn't sound like classic Soundgarden, but then again they said it wouldn't. Speaking for the album, they said they didn't want to do another grunge or metal record, they'll pick up where they left with Down on the Upside.

I think this song was intended for the soundtrack only, I don't think it'll be on the album. It's not anything fantastic, but I kinda like it, it's not a bad song in itself. But yeah, I hope this isn't any indication of how the album will sound, and Cornell said it isn't.

bighead384
04-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Wouldn't it be cruel if a band with a large following reunited with the intent of releasing just 22 seconds of music before disbanding again?

Omni
04-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Wouldn't it be cruel if a band with a large following reunited with the intent of releasing just 22 seconds of music before disbanding again?

I don't know if I would find that hilarious or infuriating. Probably hilarious.

Little_Miss_1565
04-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I heard the song on KROQ. It was okay, I suppose. The production was way too slick.

Rooster
04-10-2012, 02:12 PM
The production is what bothered me most of all. It's ok, until the clean guitar during the verses comes in... But I think this was to be expected, since the song was written (and recorded) for the soundtrack of a big budget action flick.

yarock
04-11-2012, 09:23 AM
I don't know, I didn't bother to listen the new song as an old SG fan. Maybe if it wasn't a commercial work I would've wondered what they had come up with. But I see no point why did they rejoin. Their style went out of date a decade ago, Cornell way way receded from his roots, their main fanbase got old- maybe that's why they're inclining to mainstream as a starter.

findout5
04-11-2012, 09:27 AM
It didn't really sound like Soundgarden. Sounds like Cornell circa "Carry On"...very boring for a lack of a better word. I'm betting he wrote that one. Uninspiring is a word that comes to mind.

Omni
04-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Well, it's charting really well. But I suspect it's only because it has that "new song" hype. It'll probably reach the top 10 on the mainstream and maybe the alternative stations.

I can't wait to see what the new album brings, though. As much as it disappoints me they made something so sub-par just because some movie guys asked them to, I'll put it behind me and wait for something substantial like I know they're capable of delivering.

Outerspaceman21
04-16-2012, 02:52 AM
I just listened to the full song on the radio yesterday, albeit I was in and out of it because it was at a friends house, it sounded alright. I was liking it.

Rooster
05-03-2012, 01:28 AM
So, while we're waiting for the new album, I decided to pick this up: http://www.soundgardenworld.com/news/2012-04-25/soundgarden-classic-album-selection-europe-only

I only have Superunknown and Telephantasm, so getting all these albums in one package is brilliant, and the price is good too. This release was probably aimed at the new fans as an opportunity to get all the classic albums (except Ultramega OK for some reason, probably because it was released on a different label) in one package. For fans that already have these albums it's useless of course, but being pretty new to Soundgarden I like this release very much :)

Unfortunately it's going to be released in Europe only, but being European this doesn't bother me :p

Rooster
05-25-2012, 02:20 AM
The package arrived this morning. It contains Louder Than Love, Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, Down on the Upside and Live on I-5. Albums are in gatefold sleeves and each contains a booklet (I think the booklets are exactly the same as they are in the original release of these albums, at least in Superunknown's case it is so).

Oh, and the best thing is that the albums have NOT been remastered, so the sound is exactly the same as on the original albums, dynamic range hasn't been compromised :)