PDA

View Full Version : Moving abroad

Alison
03-28-2012, 09:34 AM
So, I'm considering moving away after I finish my thesis. Preferably to somewhere in the EU.

The only thing is I don't exactly have any foreign languages that I'm fluent in. I do have a small bit of German, and I guess I could pick it up more over time, but, it's pretty basic.
What countries seem to be the best for taking on foreign workers? It's not like I'm looking for some great job either - I would settle for working in some Irish pub where I get harassed about leprechauns and Guinness and stuff like that.

Anyway, any advice is welcome.

My Name Was Taken
03-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Personally i'd like to go to Serbia.... Not sure exactly why :/

Harleyquiiinn
03-28-2012, 09:43 AM
In what field are you ?

mrconeman
03-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Hey just because she's Irish doesn't mean she lives in a field.

see what i did there

Harleyquiiinn
03-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Hey just because she's Irish doesn't mean she lives in a field.

see what i did there

Yeah I wasn't so sure it was good english... "What do you study ?" would be better I guess...

But I liked your joke. It's true that the only time I went to Ireland, I was in a family of farmers who taught me to milk a cow. Pretty cool actually.

RageAndLov
03-28-2012, 09:54 AM
So, I'm considering moving away after I finish my thesis. Preferably to somewhere in the EU.

The only thing is I don't exactly have any foreign languages that I'm fluent in. I do have a small bit of German, and I guess I could pick it up more over time, but, it's pretty basic.
What countries seem to be the best for taking on foreign workers? It's not like I'm looking for some great job either - I would settle for working in some Irish pub where I get harassed about leprechauns and Guinness and stuff like that.

Anyway, any advice is welcome.

One of the English football pubs here in Trondheim, Norway has an Irish bartender. He is really cool.

Little_Miss_1565
03-28-2012, 10:15 AM
The time to get out there and do crazy things like move to a country where you don't know the language is now, while you're young. If you can do it and not bankrupt yourself in the process, do it up.

Alison
03-28-2012, 10:28 AM
In what field are you ?

I'm doing a masters in Anglo-Saxon literature....so, uh...yeah, not very useful!

Defender
03-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Switzerland is a good choice,as I know. It's an organized country(economically & socially) and the people there speak 4 languages(this may help you): Italian,German,French and English as well. Scandinavian countries are a "reliable" choice,too.

Harleyquiiinn
03-28-2012, 01:48 PM
ok then.

Eventhough I am inclined to preach for my city, I'm going to be honest with you because it is an important choice :

Paris pros : it is a great city, full of interesting things to do and it's not too big so it's easy to "own" it.
french over 30 usually don't speak english so you will have to learn french. Which is good because you will be able to read hugo and zola in the way it was written.
you won't need a car.
I am in Paris and I am a really cool person

Paris cons: it is an expensive city, especially when you are a young adult. Housing is crazy... To give you an idea, we pay a 1000 euros for 46 m2 and it is cheap.
french people in general are very attached to diplomas so it might be tough to find an interesting job if you can't "sell" your diploma.
The weather isn't so good but considering where you come from... :D

Now you have other cities in France where life is cheaper, weather nicer, and some would say, people too. I lived in Lyon for a while. Beautiful city. My boyfriend wqs crazy about it.

PS: we have some great Irish pubs.

hope this will help. :)

edit : harley's boyfriend speaking. You can call me Joker
paris is quite nice but parisians can be jerks. Also, night life is not that good : if yore looking for crazy nights, go to berlin.
choose your neighborhood carefully : some districts can be pleasant in broad daylight, but scary at night.
anyway, i would be plaesed to show you the city if you are a cute redhead with big boobs, we could drink rzd wine and make a tjreesome. Because thats what we do here in Paris : drink wine and make love. By the way, i m now quite drunk, and i have to fulfill my "duties". HARLEYYYY?

yours faithfully,
Joker

Alison
03-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Haha, thank you for all the information!

The only problem with France is the language barrier, I guess. I did French for a few years in school, yet all I can see is "Do you like chess and small dogs?".
Although my boyfriend knows a French guy who he used work with who said if he ever needed a job in France he was opening a pub...so who knows, I may end up there!

Also, unfortunately I am not red headed or big boobed, so I will have to pass!

Llamas
03-28-2012, 03:45 PM
If you're willing to teach English for your living, I'm a good person to ask ;) And it's easier to get work and get paid well for it if you go to less developed countries. But if you wanna work in a pub, I can't help you in terms of a job; only in terms of how the process works, culture shock, being a foreigner abroad, etc... let me know if you have any specific questions :)

RageAndLov
03-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I don't understand though; you are doing a Masters degree in Anglo-Saxon literature, yet you want to work in a pub? Why?

Harleyquiiinn
03-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Haha, thank you for all the information!

The only problem with France is the language barrier, I guess. I did French for a few years in school, yet all I can see is "Do you like chess and small dogs?".
Although my boyfriend knows a French guy who he used work with who said if he ever needed a job in France he was opening a pub...so who knows, I may end up there!

Also, unfortunately I am not red headed or big boobed, so I will have to pass!

;)

Where is that pub ?

As for the language, here is all you need :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSeaDQ6sPs0

Alison
03-29-2012, 02:21 AM
I don't understand though; you are doing a Masters degree in Anglo-Saxon literature, yet you want to work in a pub? Why?

Well, basically my masters is pretty much useless without a PhD, so, but I don't want to go straight back to college for another few years just yet.

llamas, I was considering doing a TEFL course over the summer, so I may end up doing that!

Harley, I've no idea where the pub is! Thanks for the video! Putain! Sorted!

Fantomaz
03-29-2012, 02:57 AM
After taking it my penis worked as a paving breaker and my wife Femara (http://congam.com/) Generic Letrozole Tabs had no reason to complain during whole night. We hooked on it and purchase with a discount.
I did not want to confess my sexual fail and intimacy problems Buy cheap Kamagra (http://kamxl.com/)

samseby
03-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Wow, interesting. I'm not that sure about the regulations for Germany.

personal_loans_1
03-29-2012, 06:28 AM
If I'd go I'd choose Spain to learn Spanish, bacause it's so widely used, or some Scandinavian country for exact opposite reason.

Just to update Irish pub's network; I feel obligated to mention that there is one in Warsaw too.

RageAndLov
03-29-2012, 07:12 AM
If I'd go I'd choose Spain to learn Spanish, bacause it's so widely used, or some Scandinavian country for exact opposite reason.

Just to update Irish pub's network; I feel obligated to mention that there is one in Warsaw too.

That's not true, you can use any Scandinavian language to communicate with any other Scandinavians (except Finnish, no one understands Finnish). That's 20 million people you would be able to communicate with. Spanish can't hold a candle to any Scandinavian language!
http://satwcomic.com/art/what-did-you-say-.jpg

Llamas
03-29-2012, 12:56 PM
That's not true, you can use any Scandinavian language to communicate with any other Scandinavians (except Finnish, no one understands Finnish). That's 20 million people you would be able to communicate with. Spanish can't hold a candle to any Scandinavian language!

I'm not 100% sure you're joking, but I really hope you are... the world's population of Spanish speakers can't hold a candle to 20 million people? That just *must* be a joke :P

Lord Phidias
03-29-2012, 04:19 PM

Me parece que necesitas informarte mejor, pero como dice la chica que ama a las llamas, espero que estÚs bromeando...

yarock
03-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Me parece que necesitas informarte mejor, pero como dice la chica que ama a las llamas, espero que estÚs bromeando...

Dude, I don't know which thread I'm on, but you have all those chicas that hitting on you, so I don't know why you're complaining here or care what other people that you don't know would think, just, just have it your way or bitch about it to your friends, just don't come here.

jacknife737
03-30-2012, 05:24 PM
You should totally do it: these sorts of things are always much easier to do when you're younger: and a little bit of an adventure now and then keeps things from getting stale.

A couple people that i know moved to Amsterdam and Paris to work as an english-tour guide for a while: the tour's are "free" and you live on tips, but they never really had any issues with money and said that the transition to a non-English speaking place isn't really an issue if you're in a big city.

I think this was the company they worked for:
http://www.newamsterdamtours.com/

ad8
03-31-2012, 01:22 PM
I as a german should try to get you into Germany, but as a current resident of the Netherlands I won't. Dutch is relatively easy to learn if you have some idea of German and speak English and almost everybody here speaks very good English, anyway. I know people here who get by not being able to speak a sentence of Dutch. Still, it is a really nice language to learn and I think that the Dutch culture is a really nice one. There are some really nice student cities here as well so you dont have to feel like 40 living here.

Alison
04-03-2012, 02:15 PM
You should totally do it: these sorts of things are always much easier to do when you're younger: and a little bit of an adventure now and then keeps things from getting stale.

A couple people that i know moved to Amsterdam and Paris to work as an english-tour guide for a while: the tour's are "free" and you live on tips, but they never really had any issues with money and said that the transition to a non-English speaking place isn't really an issue if you're in a big city.

I think this was the company they worked for:
http://www.newamsterdamtours.com/

I remember being on those free walking tours in Berlin, and the guys we got were Irish, and got a really good tip at the end. I was thinking that may be an option.

Also, when I was in Amsterdam, I noticed a fair few foreigners working there. It seems to be a good place to go to work.

I guess I've kind of narrowed it down to German speaking countries, Holland, perhaps Scandinavia, and if I end up doing a TEFL course, then Czech Republic I guess.