PDA

View Full Version : New The Used

bighead384
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
"I Come Alive": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_xzqN0JY6s&ob=av2e

New album "Vulnerable" just came out this week.

I think Bert McCracken is an under-rated songwriter. He experiments so much, and makes it work. That's something I really respect.

Llamas
03-29-2012, 03:52 PM
The Used is quite hit-or-miss for me. Their self-titled album is entirely awesome and I still listen to it. Songs like Blue and Yellow, The Taste of Ink, A Box Full of Sharp Objects, and On My Own are just incredible. In Love and Death was pretty good, but a bit drab. Lies for the Liars was just awful. I never listen to that album. But then Artwork was quite good - Men Are All the Same is one of the best songs they've ever written (especially with the way they worked "Kissing You Goodbye" into the outro), self titled album included. Blood On My Hands was also their best single since the self titled.

I don't dig the new single, but I'll check out the new album and give it a chance. I wouldn't call him underrated or say he experiments that much - at least not since the self titled. That album was pretty unique, but since then there's been a lot of the same, with a bit of originality mixed in here and there.

findout5
04-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Their debut really is amazing...it's all about breaking out and leaving a crappy life behind. And after it was released they did so. It's really heartfelt. From there it's been pretty "meh". Musically it's always interesting, but Bert no longer sings his heart out from a bad place, because he ain't there anymore. It's great for him, but the songs have lacked from it. An artist needs to suffer, goddammit!

FYI - the musical genius is Quinn, not Bert. They all chip in, but once again the guitar is the driving force!

Retard
04-18-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't think I've ever heard a full album. All the singles, and bits and pieces while in the car with my friends over the years have given me a good a good amount of insight. What I've heard I've liked, just not enough for me to ever dig any deeper.