PDA

View Full Version : Deciding to get to know someone

bighead384
04-01-2012, 12:08 PM
When I meet someone, I am generally hopeful that they will potentially be my friend unless they do something to make me think less of them. If they fail to catch my interest after an extended period of time, I'll write them off as boring, but I'm pretty patient with that. Aside from that, I will remain hopeful unless they give me a reason to dislike them. However, I have the suspicion that this isn't how most people think. It seems as though most people don't even care to get to know a person unless they've managed to stand out. If this is the case, I don't quite understand this mentality and perhaps it would help if I did. Hopefully I can elaborate more as the thread goes on...

Side Note: I sometimes wonder if all my social interactions are largely unrelatable because I'm from New Jersey, arguably the asshole capital of the world.

Rilex
04-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Hold on, think for a minute....
How many people that you haven't met gives a crap what you think bout them?
well, not me...

mrconeman
04-01-2012, 01:37 PM
What if they're black?

bighead384
04-01-2012, 01:55 PM
What if they're black?
Jesus christ man, give it a rest.

Llamas
04-01-2012, 03:09 PM
When I meet someone, I am generally hopeful that they will potentially be my friend unless they do something to make me think less of them. If they fail to catch my interest after an extended period of time, I'll write them off as boring, but I'm pretty patient with that. Aside from that, I will remain hopeful unless they give me a reason to dislike them.

Um, of all the people out there, there's a small percentage that any person is likely to click with, and most of us don't keep a close grip on a super large number of friends. So I'm pretty sure it's natural to not assume that every new person you meet is hopefully a new friend. One of every like 50 people I meet on a day-to-day basis is likely to be friend-material. I don't care if they "stand out"; I care if they're someone I wanna be friends with. Similar interests. Good, interesting conversation. Why should I bother making efforts to make friends with everyone I meet, when I know only like 2% of them are ever gonna be possible friends? I make an effort when I see a reason to make an effort.

bighead384
04-01-2012, 04:19 PM
I see what you're saying, but it's not like you have anything to lose if you try to make a small effort to get to know someone. I'm definitely not talking about making this huge effort for every person you meet or anything. It just seems like many people give off signals that show that they aren't very open to getting to know someone. Maybe in some cases, it's because people like to appear confident and important, and I guess part of that is acting like people should make the effort for YOU and not the other way around.

But then again (and I know it's the epitome of pleasure for some of you to hear this), maybe it's just me.

Isolated Fury
04-01-2012, 05:59 PM
But then again (and I know it's the epitome of pleasure for some of you to hear this), maybe it's just me.
I just came.

No offense meant. Just cashing in on the joke.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Sometimes I don't feel like getting to know someone, even if they're really nice and all. Sometimes I feel like being quiet. If you make too many friends, you spend too much time trying to talk to all of them. At least that is what I find.

bighead384
04-02-2012, 06:57 AM
If you make too many friends, you spend too much time trying to talk to all of them. At least that is what I find.
I'm aware of this, but I never really thought about how much of an impact this can have in this situation. I'm glad you said this.

Lord Phidias
04-02-2012, 11:27 AM
I try only to befriend people as good looking as me. Why would you want to spend time with uglies? :confused:

mrconeman
04-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Jesus christ man, give it a rest.

I dunno, I thought it was an appropriate question, considering this thread tells us you like to give everyone a chance, compared to your other threads.

To actually contribute though, I'll leave you with a quote from Bruce Lee that I honestly think rings true here.

"True friends are like diamonds, precious and rare. False friends are like autumn leaves, found everywhere."

I try only to befriend people as good looking as me. Why would you want to spend time with uglies? :confused:
hahaha, well played.

Isolated Fury
04-02-2012, 12:27 PM
To actually contribute though, I'll leave you with a quote from Bruce Lee that I honestly think rings true here.

"True friends are like diamonds, precious and rare. False friends are like autumn leaves, found everywhere."
This rhyme is weaker than the bedtime stories I read to my daughter. Bruce Lee's fingertips should be kept to doing pushups rather than typing.

EDIT: lol nvm he dead

Llamas
04-02-2012, 01:09 PM

Hanging out with uglies makes you feel better about yourself cause you're hotter by comparison - and when y'all go out together, you get hit on more because ugly friends make you look hotter ;) ;) ;)

I dunno, I thought it was an appropriate question, considering this thread tells us you like to give everyone a chance, compared to your other threads.

Exactly. I'm not trying to start anything, but I can't imagine bighead trying to make friends with a black guy...

bighead384
04-02-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm being antagonizing but I have an excuse and here's why...

Yeah, whatever.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-02-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm being antagonizing but I have an excuse and here's why...Yeah, whatever.
I see what you did there.

mrconeman
04-02-2012, 06:04 PM
This rhyme is weaker than the bedtime stories I read to my daughter. Bruce Lee's fingertips should be kept to doing pushups rather than typing.

EDIT: lol nvm he dead

He was a wicked smart dude, though. I'm not sure his intention there was to rhyme, he has all sorts of cool quotes, I think this perhaps is unintentional rhyming, I think. I could be wrong.

edit: lol nvm he dead

UgLy_eLf
04-02-2012, 07:53 PM
hanging out with uglies makes you feel better about yourself cause you're hotter by comparison - and when y'all go out together, you get hit on more because ugly friends make you look hotter ;) ;) ;)

goddamnit!!!!!

T-6005
04-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Bighead, if you come to Toronto, I will buy you a beer and we shall chat.

If you say things that make you seem like an asshole, I will judge you. Otherwise, we will have a lovely evening.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-06-2012, 10:34 PM
If Bighead ever comes to Southern Alberta, there won't be a black guy in sight

T-6005
04-06-2012, 10:45 PM
If Bighead ever comes to Southern Alberta, there won't be a black guy in sight

Which is unusual, because southern Alberta is well-known for being a bastion to black people.

Llamas
04-07-2012, 06:01 AM
There needs to be a bbs meetup which bighead attends. I think we all secretly wanna know what he's like IRL.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Which is unusual, because southern Alberta is well-known for being a bastion to black people.
Not my Southern Alberta. Maybe in Calgary or Lethbridge, but they're pretty scarce everywhere else.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-08-2012, 02:34 PM
There needs to be a bbs meetup which bighead attends. I think we all secretly wanna know what he's like IRL.
That would be pretty cool actually. It would be hard to get a lot of people though just because of all the different countries everyone's from.

T-6005
04-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Not my Southern Alberta. Maybe in Calgary or Lethbridge, but they're pretty scarce everywhere else.

Yes, because I was 100% serious about everything I wrote.

bighead384
04-12-2012, 09:24 AM
There needs to be a bbs meetup which bighead attends.

I would be scared to do this. Well, not really scared. But I'm more open than most people are, so I've shared pretty much anything I've ever thought on this board.

I think we all secretly wanna know what he's like IRL.Right, because everyone secretly thinks like you. lololol.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Yes, because I was 100% serious about everything I wrote.
I don't always have the strongest sarcasm sense.