PDA

View Full Version : Piracy

RIgregAA
04-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Due to the impending release of a new Offspring album I will be on the lookout for any signs of piracy. You've been warned.

generalpike
04-02-2012, 12:02 AM
"We're not afraid of the Internet. We think it's a very cool way to reach our fans. If a band sells 12 million albums, what are we supposed to say? Oh, maybe we could have sold 13 million if we had just been Internet Nazis. Frankly, at a certain point, you have to say. Hey, let the people have the music." - Dexter Holland

randman21
04-02-2012, 12:15 AM
For several reasons, I'm willing to bet that quote is from the '90s, and is therefore no longer relevant.

Mad Tiger
04-02-2012, 12:24 AM
"We're not afraid of the Internet. We think it's a very cool way to reach our fans. If a band sells 12 million albums, what are we supposed to say? Oh, maybe we could have sold 13 million if we had just been Internet Nazis. Frankly, at a certain point, you have to say. Hey, let the people have the music." - Dexter Holland

:cool: This guy

jacknife737
04-02-2012, 12:50 AM
God bless you Mr. RIAA.

Keep us safe from the terrorists.

Defender
04-02-2012, 12:56 AM
The real Offspring fans are going to buy the new one and any other Offspring album! I don't think somebody would download it.

weezly
04-02-2012, 01:08 AM
God bless you Mr. RIAA.

Keep us safe from the terrorists.

hahaha this made my day, we have been warned.. seriously dude,ill tell kim dotcom, he is in new zealand where i am from.

Tijs
04-02-2012, 01:26 AM
As a representative for Sony, you sure have a remarkable way of looking after their image.

Hey "My Name Was Taken" your profile picture is beautiful.
I love filling my girl Laura with cum nightly.
I want to educate her with my dick. Who's with me?
Condoms? Are you kidding me? I'll pass. I like to get my man juice as far up a girl's vagina as possible.
I hate getting to know people. I just want to get my dick in and out as quick as possible.

Powerh
04-02-2012, 01:34 AM
RIAA ?? hahaha It is an April Fool ?? loool !

RageAndLov
04-02-2012, 03:49 AM
The real Offspring fans are going to buy the new one and any other Offspring album! I don't think somebody would download it.

A real Offspring fan would follow the band's recommendation of downloading all their music illegally (preferably through Napster), than giving away their money to already filthy-rich Sony.

Defender
04-02-2012, 04:40 AM
A real Offspring fan would follow the band's recommendation of downloading all their music illegally (preferably through Napster), than giving away their money to already filthy-rich Sony.

Downloading affects the band,not just Sony.

sneedo83
04-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Downloading affects the band,not just Sony.

Indeed, good point.

BagOfShenanigans
04-02-2012, 06:37 AM
I would download it (at least until I could buy it), but I just realized I have a target gift card.
Looks like I'll be buying the CD from filthy-rich SONY, through filthy-rich Target, saving the songs on to my computer that I bought from filthy-rich DELL, and uploading them to my Ipod that I bought from filthy-rich Apple.

So keep your pants on Mr. Music Cop, I'm going through all of the recommended channels of purchase.

Supa
04-02-2012, 08:08 AM
I wish The Offspring would go join or start an independent label and get away from the power hungry, greedy-yet-already-filthy-rich "company" that is Sony.

Little_Miss_1565
04-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Regardless, we won't be allowing leaks of the new album on this forum.

BagOfShenanigans
04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
I wish The Offspring would go join or start an independent label and get away from the power hungry, greedy-yet-already-filthy-rich "company" that is Sony.

I'm pretty sure Dexter already owns a record label. But Nitro records can't market the album as well as Sony.

My Name Was Taken
04-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm pretty sure Dexter already owns a record label. But Nitro records can't market the album as well as Sony.

Exactly. That's exactly what i would have said.

Dexter_italy
04-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Is it ok if I buy all sony albums and download the offspring?.... I'm kidding, I buy the Offspring's album and download all the rest (even theirs when I find the leak). If I could download t-shirts I would do it too!

Lord Phidias
04-02-2012, 11:19 AM
...If I could download t-shirts I would do it too!

Trololol me too! :D

BagOfShenanigans
04-02-2012, 11:35 AM
http://www.the-monkey.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/downloadacar_thumb.jpg

Dexter_italy
04-02-2012, 01:08 PM
I have only original cd's, singles, vhs, dvd's, t-shirts and whatelse from the band... but the first post was just useless and fake I think. people who wants to buy it are gonna buy it, random fans are gonna buy some songs on itunes, random listeners will download the album but they wouldn't have bought it in first time... we know, the band knows, at sony they know... .
let's hope just for some good extra on the cd to make it even more worth it. and no bid differences with japanes edition! that always pisses me off :D

Llamas
04-02-2012, 01:24 PM
I would say the reason is more that they're on a contract. I think this is the last album of their contract, though? So maybe the next one will be indie... who knows?

http://www.the-monkey.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/downloadacar_thumb.jpg
I'm so glad someone posted this - less work for me.

I will, in fact, be downloading this album and then buying it sometime down the road when I'm no longer broke as fuck.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Regardless, we won't be allowing leaks of the new album on this forum.
Why is that? I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious. This board has always seemed fairly relaxed. Is it because it's illegal or whatever?

Little_Miss_1565
04-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Why is that? I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious. This board has always seemed fairly relaxed. Is it because it's illegal or whatever?

There are entire teams of people whose jobs involve this album, and it's not fair to them to use the band's own website to undermine their efforts.

Degstur Lolland
04-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Let's fire them then. :D Good music sells itself. :D

Little_Miss_1565
04-02-2012, 05:49 PM
After 6 years in the music business myself, I can say with absolute certainty that good music does not sell itself.

jacknife737
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
After 6 years in the music business myself, I can say with absolute certainty that good music does not sell itself.

Quoted for truth.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-02-2012, 05:54 PM
There are entire teams of people whose jobs involve this album, and it's not fair to them to use the band's own website to undermine their efforts.
Well there's that.....

Okay thanks. Now I feel like an idiot, but at least I know now.

Degstur Lolland
04-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Can you tell us what specific teams do? Was it same with last album?

GamerKT
04-02-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm gonna download the shit out of the album as soon as it's available. Then, I'm gonna buy the shit out of the album as soon as it's released. Problem?

Degstur Lolland
04-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Not a problem for hardcore fans I guess.

Little_Miss_1565
04-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Can you tell us what specific teams do? Was it same with last album?

Same as with the last album. It's a staggering number of people worldwide.

I'm gonna download the shit out of the album as soon as it's available. Then, I'm gonna buy the shit out of the album as soon as it's released. Problem?

I honestly and truly mean it when I say I do not care what you do personally. You just can't do it on the band's own website.

Degstur Lolland
04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Can I say, it's out, go to your beloved torrent site? :D

GamerKT
04-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Same as with the last album. It's a staggering number of people worldwide.

I honestly and truly mean it when I say I do not care what you do personally. You just can't do it on the band's own website.

You don't care? What a meanie!

I'm buying this shit. I love and respect The Offspring. However, I need to hear it as soon as possible... I will become physically ill if I don't.

Little_Miss_1565
04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Can I say, it's out, go to your beloved torrent site? :D

I don't care where you say that so long as it's not here.

Omni
04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Everyone knows that the band probably doesn't care if the album gets downloaded, and the sales expectations for it are probably less than a quarter-million.

It's still just disrespectful to do it right in their own house. I bought RaF,RaG three times total (once on CD, once on vinyl, once again on CD for a friend) - brand new each time so it counted toward album sales, and I'll be buying this latest release launch day. I usually don't feel guilty for downloading an album (and I download quite a bit), because I spend far, far, above the average amount of money on music, but a lot of time and work went into this release and this is my favorite band.

So, everyone, if you like any of the singles released, request like mad at your local rock station and buy the album if you have the money to do so comfortably!

BagOfShenanigans
04-02-2012, 07:22 PM
buying it from itunes is worse than stealing it...

jacknife737
04-02-2012, 07:47 PM
buying it from itunes is worse than stealing it...

You're going to have to expand on that just a tad.

brokenwings66
04-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Everyone knows that the band probably doesn't care if the album gets downloaded, and the sales expectations for it are probably less than a quarter-million.

It's still just disrespectful to do it right in their own house. I bought RaF,RaG three times total (once on CD, once on vinyl, once again on CD for a friend) - brand new each time so it counted toward album sales, and I'll be buying this latest release launch day. I usually don't feel guilty for downloading an album (and I download quite a bit), because I spend far, far, above the average amount of money on music, but a lot of time and work went into this release and this is my favorite band.

So, everyone, if you like any of the singles released, request like mad at your local rock station and buy the album if you have the money to do so comfortably!

I bout RaF,RaG twice, bought Smash twice. First one I bought was back in 94, second was 2 years ago after my disc got cracked from way over use. which makes me wonder, does anyone else here collect the original prints? I have 3 myself. Found smash in the mall and paid an extra 5 bucks for it compared to the rerelease, but it was worth it to me. I also own a shirt, belt buckle, CoO cd which I miraculously found used in mint at my local disc replay. Btw since everyones on the whole piracy thing, does anyone else remember when RaF, RaG full album was leaked like 2 weeks before it's release?

brokenwings66
04-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Also I'd like to add I wont be downloading this album, I'll buy it at launch if I have the money, if not I'll wait till I can come up with it. I'll buy anything Offspring as long as I have the money. They're music has always moved me and to be honest I've related with most of their songs. I don't feel as I owe them my life, but I do feel as if I owe them something for being positive roll models when I had none growing up. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Llamas
04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Also I'd like to add I wont be downloading this album, I'll buy it at launch if I have the money, if not I'll wait till I can come up with it. I'll buy anything Offspring as long as I have the money. They're music has always moved me and to be honest I've related with most of their songs. I don't feel as I owe them my life, but I do feel as if I owe them something for being positive roll models when I had none growing up. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I tend to agree with you - even though they get a very small amount of the money I pay for an album, I still feel like it's the right thing to do for a band I respect and appreciate. The only thing is that I'm okay with downloading it until I'm able to buy it; I'll buy it either way once I can afford it, but since I can listen to it before then, I will. My downloading of the album doesn't cause them to lose money in any way. What I have a problem with are people who never buy albums and just download everything for free, and then they have the nerve to say that someone is their favorite band even though they've never given a cent to them nor tried to support them in any way.

brokenwings66
04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
I tend to agree with you - even though they get a very small amount of the money I pay for an album, I still feel like it's the right thing to do for a band I respect and appreciate. The only thing is that I'm okay with downloading it until I'm able to buy it; I'll buy it either way once I can afford it, but since I can listen to it before then, I will. My downloading of the album doesn't cause them to lose money in any way. What I have a problem with are people who never buy albums and just download everything for free, and then they have the nerve to say that someone is their favorite band even though they've never given a cent to them nor tried to support them in any way.

I agree with you there. There are plenty of bands I like that I've downloaded they're music, but if I like them then I'll support them as much as I can. Though no band comes anywhere close to me as The Offspring does lol. Even though most bands make more off the touring that the actual product I'd have to say it's still not right to just take they're stuff and not give anything back, unless it's little wayne lol

Degstur Lolland
04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
I don't care where you say that so long as it's not here.
Can I say, oh noez, it leaked, evil people did it, what are we gonna do? :D

Also is it disrespectful to make a review of leaked album? We could ban bunch of fans this way. :D

Little_Miss_1565
04-02-2012, 09:14 PM
No. No mention of leaks, no personal reviews before it comes out (links to professional reviews would be okay), nothin' of the sort.

sneedo83
04-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Due to the impending release of a new Offspring album I will be on the lookout for any signs of piracy. You've been warned.

Ha, just noticed the RIAA guy got banned :o

sneedo83
04-02-2012, 10:42 PM
I would guess because he's just some lowlife impersonating a RIAA official, mainly from his disgusting posts about birth control and sexual activities.

Defender
04-03-2012, 12:37 AM
even though they get a very small amount of the money I pay for an album, I still feel like it's the right thing to do for a band I respect and appreciate. What I have a problem with are people who never buy albums and just download everything for free, and then they have the nerve to say that someone is their favorite band even though they've never given a cent to them nor tried to support them in any way.

You are in my brain, Llamas !!

Dexter_italy
04-03-2012, 01:37 AM
No. No mention of leaks, no personal reviews before it comes out (links to professional reviews would be okay), nothin' of the sort.

I find it pretty legit. but let me make a question.... will you download the album before it comes out? (I know you'll buy it when it comes out).

Little_Miss_1565
04-03-2012, 08:42 AM
I find it pretty legit. but let me make a question.... will you download the album before it comes out? (I know you'll buy it when it comes out).

No, I won't download a leak.

Dexter_italy
04-03-2012, 08:57 AM
No, I won't download a leak.

Fair enough, I was just curious, not a provocation :)

Supa
04-03-2012, 09:04 AM

Completely forgot about Nitro. I think they would be fine though, The Offspring is a popular enough fanbase that I think they'd be fine releasing their stuff there, and I think the fans would follow them over. As well as get turned on to new bands.

Little_Miss_1565
04-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Completely forgot about Nitro. I think they would be fine though, The Offspring is a popular enough fanbase that I think they'd be fine releasing their stuff there, and I think the fans would follow them over. As well as get turned on to new bands.

It takes an enormous amount of infrastructure to release an album. It's not just a matter of printing a CD and sending it to stores. It takes sales reps to get the stores to buy in advance, it takes a whole team to create the marketing plan, it takes another team to get the radio plan together...it's a romantic notion to say they should start releasing on Nitro next but those of you in farther-flung countries from the US may have a more difficult time getting your hands on the music if that were to happen.

mrconeman
04-03-2012, 10:18 AM
It takes an enormous amount of infrastructure to release an album. It's not just a matter of printing a CD and sending it to stores. It takes sales reps to get the stores to buy in advance, it takes a whole team to create the marketing plan, it takes another team to get the radio plan together...

This should be at the top of every thread in GoD, I've pretty much said the same thing, maybe 10 times in my duration here (mostly in the lead up to RAFRAG), and I know you've said it countless times, put it in the rules or something.

With Nitro - It'd be nice to know the band could release their songs on Dexter's label, but Nitro is not a major label, The Offspring even with their waning popularity, are a major label band. It wouldn't work.

Degstur Lolland
04-03-2012, 11:39 AM
They would have to upload it for free and let people pay over the internet.

There would be a having physical copy problem, but I guess we could make it a separate business.

The number of downloads would be a serious parameter.

Radio and other marketing would stay, but I'm not sure if you'd need an enormous amount of people.

Little_Miss_1565
04-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Radio and other marketing would stay, but I'm not sure if you'd need an enormous amount of people.

Actually, no. Radio doesn't just play songs they like or fit their station's format. They want to hear about how many YouTube views a song is getting, how many fans on social media, and of course, SALES. Digital sales matter, but it's incredibly rare that they take on a song that's only been released digitally. That may change as the music industry continues to change, but CD sales matter, especially for bigger bands.

Supa
04-03-2012, 12:17 PM
It takes an enormous amount of infrastructure to release an album. It's not just a matter of printing a CD and sending it to stores. It takes sales reps to get the stores to buy in advance, it takes a whole team to create the marketing plan, it takes another team to get the radio plan together...it's a romantic notion to say they should start releasing on Nitro next but those of you in farther-flung countries from the US may have a more difficult time getting your hands on the music if that were to happen.

I agree with this. Though I still think they should. It'd have to be built up, but it's doable, I think.

Degstur Lolland
04-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Actually, no. Radio doesn't just play songs they like or fit their station's format. They want to hear about how many YouTube views a song is getting, how many fans on social media, and of course, SALES. Digital sales matter, but it's incredibly rare that they take on a song that's only been released digitally. That may change as the music industry continues to change, but CD sales matter, especially for bigger bands.
Youtube, social media and sales that would be the internet. It's here and you don't need 100 people to upload a video or create a facebook account. But, yeah, the number of downloads is not the most important parameter now, so radios would have to adopt it.

jacknife737
04-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Even some of the more larger indie labels like Fat or Side One Dummy would probably have trouble handling a release of a band the size of the Offspring: and Nitro's infrastructure/resources is considerably less so than those two.

Epitaph maybe: but the band seems happy to be on Columbia: and that's all that should really matter to the fans.

Youtube, social media and sales that would be the internet. It's here and you don't need 100 people to upload a video or create a facebook account. But, yeah, the number of downloads is not the most important parameter now, so radios would have to adopt it.

There's more to marketing an album than simply making a few tweets: even most viral based marketing campaigns are driven by large teams of people. Not to mention pretty much the only way to get on mainstream alt-rock radio (something the band has relied on since Smash to sell records) is if you have a corporate label connection.

Degstur Lolland
04-03-2012, 02:04 PM
There's more to marketing an album than simply making a few tweets: even most viral based marketing campaigns are driven by large teams of people. Not to mention pretty much the only way to get on mainstream alt-rock radio (something the band has relied on since Smash to sell records) is if you have a corporate label connection.
Well, to my defence, they would be on Nitro (they might have to grow a bit), and I said that some marketing would stay. I don't have it completely figured out. I was rather forward looking and everyone would have to cooperate.

With that kind of look I'm kinda surprised that The Offspring doesn't educate its fans and doesn't tell them to go support them on Facebook. I still haven't added them and I'm hardcore, but I don't really use facebook or other stuff.

Also, fans could/would do marketing too.

Little_Miss_1565
04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
It would take so much additional effort (not to mention money) to do this on their own...if they really wanted to do it, they probably could, but I get the feeling you aren't fully aware of what an incredible undertaking this would be. They could spend tons of their own money to create an infrastructure that already exists with the deal they have right now, or they could just stick with the traditional label model they've had their entire careers. They'd have to really, really want to do that to make that happen, and if they really wanted to do it, wouldn't they have done it by now?

Degstur Lolland
04-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Well, if the world wants to improve, it should go the way I'm talking about. The internet should drive the costs down and if everyone used it who knows what else it would bring.

A bigger infrastructure on Nitro would be needed if Dex wants to release bigger bands in the future. The future is now, it's just not evenly distributed. :D

sneedo83
04-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Nitro is essentially non-existent these days anyway.

sneedo83
04-29-2012, 10:20 AM

I wonder if this dude is still lurking here looking for piracy of the new single :o

TheOldMark
04-29-2012, 10:40 AM

Download the album any way you like, go to their concerts and buy a t-shirt.

GamerKT
04-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Download the album any way you like, go to their concerts and buy a t-shirt.

I wish I could. Goddamn, they never come to the East Coast these days.

TheOldMark
04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
I wish I could. Goddamn, they never come to the East Coast these days.

they hit the east coast less than other places, but they will get here. i just saw them in NY 2 summers ago. and in summer 2009. and twice in 2005. they will get here. only question is what venue.

GamerKT
04-29-2012, 01:01 PM
they hit the east coast less than other places, but they will get here. i just saw them in NY 2 summers ago. and in summer 2009. and twice in 2005. they will get here. only question is what venue.

I'm near NYC, so I hope it's near here.