PDA

View Full Version : The foreign exchange student

My Name Was Taken
04-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Iíve just realized that our foreign exchange students are leaving in about two months. Iíve grown very attached to one in particular. Heís from Serbia. Iím having a hard time dealing with the possibility of never seeing him again. I have him on skype and face book, of courseÖ But Iíll never see him face to face again. Itís strangeÖ and sad.

Isolated Fury
04-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Never get too attached.

My ex's friend hosted for exchange students. She eventually fell in "love" with one. This lovely young man's name was Erik, and he knocked her up and moved back to Prague. Then she aborted it and never heard from him again.

Good times.

Llamas
04-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Iíve just realized that our foreign exchange students are leaving in about two months. Iíve grown very attached to one in particular. Heís from Serbia. Iím having a hard time dealing with the possibility of never seeing him again. I have him on skype and face book, of courseÖ But Iíll never see him face to face again. Itís strangeÖ and sad.
Or you could visit him in Serbia - beautiful country.

Never get too attached.

My ex's friend hosted for exchange students. She eventually fell in "love" with one. This lovely young man's name was Erik, and he knocked her up and moved back to Prague. Then she aborted it and never heard from him again.

Good times.

Sounds like a typical Czech man. Knock up girl, flee ;)

My Name Was Taken
04-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Or you could visit him in Serbia - beautiful country.

I'd love to, honestly, but my friend Bojan said "Serbia is not place for young girl from states haha. People are nice but crazy"

And someone else told me I'd be sold for camels, which is strange because Serbia's in Europe, and they aren't Arabic...

Llamas
04-02-2012, 04:47 PM
I'd love to, honestly, but my friend Bojan said "Serbia is not place for young girl from states haha. People are nice but crazy"

And someone else told me I'd be sold for camels, which is strange because Serbia's in Europe, and they aren't Arabic...

Your friends are idiots. I mean, I wouldn't travel to Serbia alone as a young woman, but with friends, hell yes. And you can't go there if you're super naive. Then you might get sold for camels because you don't know how to look out for yourself. Like those fools in Turistas.

My Name Was Taken
04-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Bojan IS Serbian. He lives about 324km away from Andreja's (the exchange student) hometown.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Arm yourself as soon as you arrive. You'll be untouchable.

My Name Was Taken
04-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Do you suggest knives or guns?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Whichever is more convenient and legal. A good concealable knife will do the trick. A gun would put you at greater ease though.

My Name Was Taken
04-02-2012, 07:06 PM
That and i'm less hesitant to swing a blade than i am to pull a trigger...

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Whatever floats your boat.

My Name Was Taken
04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
awesome :)

Llamas
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Bojan IS Serbian. He lives about 324km away from Andreja's (the exchange student) hometown.

I figured he was, but it kinda sounds like he was just being arrogant. People from certain countries (especially men) can act all tough and like other people (especially women) wouldn't be able to handle themselves in their country. I live close to Serbia (in Slovenia), I know tons of Serbs, and I have tons of friends here (Americans and otherwise) who go to Serbia all the time in the summer. My friends tell me all the time how much I need to go to Serbia and experience how friendly everyone is there - and I'm an American girl.

My Name Was Taken
04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Andreja is seriously one of the nicest guy's i've ever met. So I definitely believe that the people are very nice. I really would love to visit him in the coming years :/ I just need the cash. lol.

Baldwin
04-03-2012, 01:44 PM
If anybody gives you trouble, apologise for bombing their country. If that doesn't work, apologise for bombing their country on the behalf of filthy heathens. If they still want to hurt you, they're probably just a regular rapist/murderer and nationality has nothing to do with it. So, uh... run.

Carrying a gun or knife probably won't help when you're outnumbered 10 million to one and everyone has AKM's and RPK's buried under their floorboards.

Degstur Lolland
04-03-2012, 02:31 PM

He is right.

In Europe, but not yet in EU, so it's not even politically correct. Belarus, for example, is the last European totalitarian state, so not everything in Europe is great. They are probably mixed with filthy Turks who still live in 1450 with burkas from head to toe except Gulsah.

My friends tell me all the time how much I need to go to Serbia and experience how friendly everyone is there - and I'm an American girl.
That's a really annoying generalization.

Llamas
04-03-2012, 02:59 PM
He is right.

In Europe, but not yet in EU, so it's not even politically correct. Belarus, for example, is the last European totalitarian state, so not everything in Europe is great. They are probably mixed with filthy Turks who still live in 1450 with burkas from head to toe except Gulsah.

That's a really annoying generalization.

And with that, I'm pretty sure this thread will result in the most recent banning of HAU. I especially like how he thinks that my friends telling me I have to travel to Serbia because they love the people there is an "annoying generalization", while he's generalizing and bashing Turks. Classy.

He's right, though. Not everything in Europe is great; there's Slovakia.

omg jk holland25, dffpunk, etc!! lolz

Degstur Lolland
04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Read again, how friendly everyone is there.

Yeah, you can ban Baldwin too, because we are like deadly serious in every sentence. Yeah, and I totally generalized Gulsah, that little filthy Turk.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Carrying a gun or knife probably won't help when you're outnumbered 10 million to one and everyone has AKM's and RPK's buried under their floorboards.

10 million armed rapists against one girl? O.o

If you read that wrong, it sounds like there would be rapists with 10 million arms.

T-6005
04-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Never get too attached.

Good times.
On a mildly serious note, that's some major bullshit here. Exchange students (much like local residents, to everyone's surprise). I'm a foreign student - and have been for years - and I dated a local girl for a little over five years. And in my defense, she may only have been pregnant once.

Tongue-in-cheek aside, love pops up anywhere and everywhere.

It's stupid, it's tacky, and it certainly jars with the fact that I was stuck at a douchebro bar earlier tonight replete with lines like "there's a first time for everything, baby" (first pint I bought), and "seriously, I'm totally hard" (wait, still the first pint?).

Perhaps I'm basing this on just one guy who truly believes that what he has to offer in the sack is revolutionary. In that case, I envy him.

Back to the point, though. I never thought I would live in Toronto forever, but I stayed with my ex as if I would, because sometimes things are more important than going back home. And the people in your life, no matter how badly you'd like to explore other cities, have an incredible tendency to ground even the most hardened soul. We were together five and half years, the longest chunk of my life I've ever intimately spent with someone, and I'm glad for all of it. And if she'd treated me like you suggest, I would never have had that.

What I'm saying is that douchebags exist everywhere. And that someone leaving isn't always a set thing, and shouldn't determine your treatment of them.

Llamas
04-07-2012, 07:09 AM
T, I see what you're saying and I agree that assholes are everywhere... but the fact of the matter is that *very, very few* people who go abroad to study, stay abroad. If you get romantically involved with a foreign student, you need to accept and be cool with the fact that odds are they'll be going home in a few months. That simple fact doesn't make them an asshole, though.