PDA

View Full Version : Best way to arrange a track list?

Omni
04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm making a CD, and rather than just hit shuffle or arrange them alphabetically, I want to find the best way to open, close, and maintain some kind of flow throughout the disc. Do you guys have any specific ways you arrange the order of songs on albums? I know we have quite a few musicians around here, so maybe a couple of you could give me tips.

Llamas
04-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I basically start off with something hard-hitting and energetic (though that totally depends on what kind of album it is), and then it's all about how one song ends and the next one begins. I usually pick a first song, and then skip to the last 30 seconds of it... and then find which song's beginning goes the best with those last 30 seconds. It's all about how one song flows into the next. Though I do try to keep a bit of a pattern - start high, drop down *just a bit*, no lower than mid-tempo, bring the album to a climax about 3/4 of the way through, and then throw in a few slower tunes toward the end. But this is all very, very general. It really all depends on the album that's being made.

mrconeman
04-02-2012, 07:06 PM
All I know is people who make mix tapes/cd's/playlists without any attention to how it flows should be gotten rid of by pain of fucking death.

I love Iron Maiden. I love Tupac.

I don't fucking want to hear Run To The Hills running into California Love though.

Omni
04-02-2012, 07:27 PM
It's honestly never occurred to me to make a CD that diverse. Putting the Dixie Chicks right after 50 Cent and right before Elvis Presley just makes me feel like I need to take a shower.

Llamas
04-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I think back when the BBS Mix Tape (not the one where bands here contribute songs they wrote, but when we all posted mixes of our favorite songs to share with others), I made a super diverse tape because it was supposed to be my favorite songs. But otherwise, making a mix that doesn't have a musical theme (go to hell, lyrical-themed mixes!) is a pile of garbage.

Gregmau5
04-03-2012, 05:20 AM
I basically start off with something hard-hitting and energetic (though that totally depends on what kind of album it is), and then it's all about how one song ends and the next one begins. I usually pick a first song, and then skip to the last 30 seconds of it... and then find which song's beginning goes the best with those last 30 seconds. It's all about how one song flows into the next. Though I do try to keep a bit of a pattern - start high, drop down *just a bit*, no lower than mid-tempo, bring the album to a climax about 3/4 of the way through, and then throw in a few slower tunes toward the end. But this is all very, very general. It really all depends on the album that's being made.

Yeah, it's all about how the songs flow as one. I'll refer to Splinter. Just as I am getting into the mood with hard, fast punk songs, a song like Worst Hangover Ever or Hit That comes on. Really disrupts the mood for me.

EDIT: Also, I agree with pretty much everything Llamas has said.