PDA

View Full Version : Best album closer?

Llamas
04-03-2012, 07:09 PM
I brought it up in another thread, and then thought about it again today while listening to Americana. The Offspring has quite a few albums with just incredible endings - I think it might be part of why we don't really like Splinter that much.

Which album's last two songs do you think make the greatest album closer? I'm really having a hard time deciding, myself.

Multiple choices are allowed because I figure it's a really hard decision.

BagOfShenanigans
04-03-2012, 07:16 PM
I really like the song 'Smash'. Not the one was meh. It doesn't really stick out much, but then again, I haven't heard it for a while. (Since I stopped listening to the offspring radio.)

'Americana' is a great song as well.

[Edited to hide my shame.]

Omni
04-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Change the World all the way.

Llamas
04-03-2012, 07:40 PM
We're not voting for individual songs here, though; we're voting for the best album ending as a whole. If you have two B+ songs as a closer, vs an A song an an F song, the two B+ songs should win. :P

Pay the Man totally has lyrics, dude... and no, the hidden track doesn't count :P

Outerspaceman21
04-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Cross between Americana and Ignition. Both are really good. Americana's closing had a very epic feel to it's closing, whereas Ignition was just really solid and flowed well with the album. Smash's closing was really good as well, but I'd say Americana takes the cake for me.

BagOfShenanigans
04-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Pay the Man totally has lyrics, dude...

http://wordybirdnerd.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/have_the_dumb.jpg

Yeeeaaah.. I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe I had it confused with the Blurb.

Degstur Lolland
04-03-2012, 10:42 PM
1st Americana
2nd Ixnay
3rd Smash

Pay The Man wins it, but Americana is bad ass too. Ixnay has really 2 strong songs at the end. Not The One is weaker I guess and it loses 2nd place.

I really love Kill The President and Nothing From Something, but that's just one punch for me. S/T might even beat Ignition. Co1's Vultures is very good. Splinter od RFRG? :D Splinter! Da Hui beats it with just a minute and When You're in Prison is beyond words...which is better that playing Green Day. :D

sneedo83
04-03-2012, 10:48 PM
In my opinion Ignition would have the best closing although it's hard to argue with Americana and Pay the Man, damn solid one two punch there.

rdcouch
04-03-2012, 11:00 PM
I had to vote for Americana, the song Americana and Pay the Man are both utterly fantastic.

Ignition is probably my favorite album, and Forever and a Day is superb, but when you add Nothing from Something it doesn't stack up quite as well, even though still a good song.

Ixnay is another close one for me, looks like the poll results reflect my struggle :D

ThunderPX
04-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Pay the Man, of course, by a mile. I will say though, that Let's Hear It For Rock Bottom is an awesome song and the end of RAFRAG is totally tainted by the shitty semi-title track.

GamerKT
04-03-2012, 11:24 PM

People, we have a winner, already. Stop posting.

Defender
04-03-2012, 11:54 PM
A m e r i c a n a .

danitanev
04-04-2012, 12:26 AM
I think Smash is The Best by far! Americana is not bad, but Ignition is better and Smash is The Best!

Pablon
04-04-2012, 03:01 AM
CO1 features actually CO1 + Huck It, as a "closer", or whatever... which is rad!!!! But I'm with the Ixnay this time, I guess... Ignition has a great one too!

sneedo83
04-04-2012, 03:07 AM
CO1 features actually CO1 + Huck It, as a "closer",

Not for everyone unfortunately, Huck It was omitted from the North American release.

I like that song too.

randman21
04-04-2012, 03:12 AM
If we were choosing just one song, my choice would be much harder. That's one thing I noticed early on with Offspring. They know how to pick their openers and closers. Anyway, for two songs, the choice is clear for me. Ignition.

Pablon
04-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Not for everyone unfortunately, Huck It was omitted from the North American release.

I like that song too.

Ooops, I'd skip that part!!

That sucks my friend, too bad! It's a killer song. I'm positive that the album gets way weaker that way...

sneedo83
04-04-2012, 03:17 AM
Yeah I was listening to it last night actually and I was thinking, man CO1 just really wasn't that good at all save for a few pretty great songs.

I like Splinter better I think although I echo most people saying it's too short or too full of filler songs.

sneedo83
04-04-2012, 03:19 AM
I wonder what Dexter's thought process was when tacking on When You're In Prison, do you think he was like oh shit, this album is super short, how about I write and old timey jingle about sodomy, that'll appease the masses?

And if he did think those exact words, wow.

Tijs
04-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Easiest poll ever: Americana.

I wouldn't consider the song Americana as a part of the closer, Pay The Man does the job perfectly well all by itself.

Defender
04-04-2012, 04:10 AM

I like that song too.

"Rise & Fall, Rage & Grace" gets weaker too, because "O.C. LIFE" is out of it (on the European version at least) and this track is amazing!!!! It's one of my favorites on this album.

sneedo83
04-04-2012, 05:08 AM
Yes, OC Life is a great song, good cover song choice to wrap it all up.

Llamas
04-04-2012, 07:46 AM
CO1 features actually CO1 + Huck It, as a "closer", or whatever... which is rad!!!! But I'm with the Ixnay this time, I guess... Ignition has a great one too!

Ooops, I'd skip that part!!

That sucks my friend, too bad! It's a killer song. I'm positive that the album gets way weaker that way...

"Rise & Fall, Rage & Grace" gets weaker too, because "O.C. LIFE" is out of it (on the European version at least) and this track is amazing!!!! It's one of my favorites on this album.

Yeah, my versions of RFRG and CO1 don't have Huck it or OC Life. Huck It is one of the best songs on CO1 (along with Living in Chaos), and not having Huck It totally lowers the quality of the entire album. OC Life is a really good song, but I don't think it's one of the best on RFRG.

If we were choosing just one song, my choice would be much harder. That's one thing I noticed early on with Offspring. They know how to pick their openers and closers. Anyway, for two songs, the choice is clear for me. Ignition.

They really, really do. I mean, intros aside, the first track on every Offspring album is killer. Jennifer Lost the War, Session, Nitro, Meaning of Life, Have You Ever?, Come Out Swinging, The Noose, Half Truism... there isn't a single weak song in the bunch. And they mostly have awesome album endings (minus Splinter - RFRG's is good if you count OC Life).

mrconeman
04-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Americana by a country mile. If I had realised it was multiple choice before submitting though, then Ignition would have been choice 2.

Llamas
04-04-2012, 03:26 PM
zsk and marco are total assholes.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-04-2012, 05:08 PM
I didn't realize it was multiple choice. Crap. I voted Ixnay, but I would've also voted Americana if I wasn't so ignorant.

mrconeman
04-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Either that or they are 13.

Llamas
04-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Either that or they are 13.

This is likely for whoever voted for Splinter, but voting for RFRG's closing? There's just no accounting for bad taste.

BagOfShenanigans
04-04-2012, 07:27 PM

Some people just think obscenities are cool.
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee406/Michael_Warner_Jr/dahui-1.jpg

Supa
04-04-2012, 08:49 PM

This. That song is a great finale.

holland25
04-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Smash, Pay the Man and Forever and a Day.

Gayman
04-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Pay The Man is just epic.

randman21
04-05-2012, 10:25 AM
You guys freaking suck. The poll was about the last two songs! I chose Ignition for nothing. :(

Llamas
04-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Smash, Pay the Man and Forever and a Day.

Pay The Man is just epic.

You guys freaking suck. The poll was about the last two songs! I chose Ignition for nothing. :(

Seriously, what Randman said. People who voted for ONE song as their favorite didn't follow the directions and totally suck.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I voted for Amazed AND Change the World.

Supa
04-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Amazed and Change The World still win it for me.

jacknife737
04-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Ignition, and i didn't have to think about it that long.

Americana's ending is pretty fantastic, Pay the Man in particular being one of the best songs the band has written: but i think that the 1-2 punch that closes Ignition is one of the strongest endings to any album, ever.

randman21
04-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Ignition, and i didn't have to think about it that long.

Americana's ending is pretty fantastic, Pay the Man in particular being one of the best songs the band has written: but i think that the 1-2 punch that closes Ignition is one of the strongest endings to any album, ever.

My thoughts exactly. Pay the Man is my favorite song, but I remember the first time I sat down and really listened to Ignition. I was blown away by the ending.

Oh, and for the record, I think Rise and Fall is a very good closer...just not a great song.