PDA

View Full Version : Best Album Opener

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-06-2012, 12:06 PM
It seems as if we have all looked over this aspect of our beloved Offspring albums. There are some pretty solid opening songs on most of the albums. This poll excludes intros like Time To Relax, Disclaimer, and even Neocon. I'm actually including 3 songs from each album as the opener because the Offspring have had some pretty stellar third tracks. Also, I'm only allowing one choice, just because.

My personal favorites would probably be Session/We Are One/Kick Him When He's Down, Nitro/Bad Habit/Gotta Get Away, or Half-Truism/Trust In You/You're Gonna Go Far, Kid.

EDIT: Even though they're not in the pole feel free to vote for Time to Relax/Nitro/Bad Habit, Disclaimer/The Meaning of Life/Mota, Welcome/Have You Ever/Staring At The Sun, etc. It's come to my attention that some people love the intros as much as what I'd consider a "real track".

jsmak84
04-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Ignition !!!!

F........

F...........

F................

dff_punk
04-06-2012, 12:24 PM
As much as it isn't my favorite album, RAFRAG has almost all its strongest songs in the first half.

Supa
04-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Tough one, but I'm going with Splinter. I think really it should be Neocon, The Noose, and then Long Way Home, because those three songs are awesome.

Tijs
04-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I refuse to vote in this poll, as my vote would go out to Neocon and The Noose. How can you not add those to the poll? How..?

Okay, so I'm still voting Splinter, but really, Neocon, Disclaimer and Time To Relax should definitely be added.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Ignition !!!!

As much as it isn't my favorite album, RAFRAG has almost all its strongest songs in the first half.

I figured that RAFRAG, Ignition, and Smash would be the most successful in this poll. I had trouble choosing, but I decided on Smash.

My thought process:

Smash
Nitro (Youth Energy) = 7/10
Bad Habit = 10/10
Gotta Get Away = 10/10

Ignition
Session = 8/10
We Are One = 7/10
Kick Him When He's Down = 9/10

Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace
Half-Truism = 8/10
Trust In You = 7/10
You're Gonna Go Far, Kid = 10/10

Smash = 27
RAF, RAG = 25
Ignition = 24

Now that's not my sole way of deciding, because in my mind, it would be:
1. Smash
2. Ignition
3. Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

That's just because I also take into account how well the songs go together, and how solid they stand as a grouping. I think Ignition's first three songs sound amazing together, just not quite amazing as Smash's.

GamerKT
04-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Three fucking tracks? Jesus. My vote went to Have You Ever.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Tough one, but I'm going with Splinter. I think really it should be Neocon, The Noose, and then Long Way Home, because those three songs are awesome.

I refuse to vote in this poll, as my vote would go out to Neocon and The Noose. How can you not add those to the poll? How..?

Okay, so I'm still voting Splinter, but really, Neocon, Disclaimer and Time To Relax should definitely be added.
If I could change it, I would. I'm sorry.

Llamas
04-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I really don't like how you made this poll... three tracks is too many, not including the intro tracks... and not allowing multiple choices is weird. I'm gonna vote as though we're just talking about the first two tracks, intros included.

dexterone
04-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't really get why there are no intro songs...I've voted for Splinter but I'm missing Neocon in this poll...don't really know the reason why it's not included because that's an opener of Splinter...but never mind...however,Neocon and The Noose is the best way how to start an album...

randman21
04-06-2012, 02:40 PM
RaFRaG is so worthy of mention for its perfect first half, but going strictly by the rules, three songs not counting intros, gotta go with Smash. That's about as good as it gets for me.

hshduppsnt
04-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Of all the albums with the three songs you listed I actually think RaFRaG has the best three songs.

For each of the rest of them I'll admit I usually don't listen to one. Like, it would've been Ixnay but I don't actively listen to Me and My Old Lady a lot

or hit that for example.

Smash is probably a close second for me.

BagOfShenanigans
04-06-2012, 03:38 PM
When we're ready to sing, we step up to the microphone, and it comes out something like this.

Really? I'm the only one?

Krojd
04-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Tough one but after all I voted for Ixnay, because:

Disclaimer
The Meaning of live 11/10 (better opener than all the 3 first rafrag songs together)
Mota 9,8/10
Me and My old Lady 8/10

Pablon
04-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm with Krojd. Though I don't really like Me & My Old Lady, Meaning of Life + Mota is terrific. Plus, Disclaimer is pretty cool as well.

My other choices could be the Self Titled (cause of Elders and Out on Patrol) and Smash.

Really? I'm the only one?

The only one voting that Original Prankster joke... Come Out Swingin' is great, but... the following track...

holland25
04-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Only one fucking choice? ONE?

Jennifer Lost the War
Session
Nitro
Half-Truism

Also, Have You Ever, The Noose and Come Out Swinging are not bad either.

BagOfShenanigans
04-06-2012, 06:05 PM
The only one voting that Original Prankster joke... Come Out Swingin' is great, but... the following track...

I now realize that my choice was nostalgia-fueled madness. Co1 was my first album.

I'd like to unofficially change my choice to Ignition.

RageAndLov
04-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Neocon is a real song! Why must a song be at a certain length to be considered a song? Are you saying that Minor Threat never made any "real" songs?

It's hard to me to choose between Splinter and Ignition. Neocon + The Noose are such great songs, but Session is also a great opening.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Okay, my poll/thread sucks. Someone else make a better one and we'll let this one fade away until it's a distant memory.

EDIT: I'm an idiot and was wrong to design this thread the way I did. That's why I haven't bothered to defend myself. I have no defense.

Degstur Lolland
04-06-2012, 10:05 PM
1st Americana
2nd Smash
3rd Splinter

But, Smash is very close if not better. Not really into Neocon, but The Noose is great. Ixnay is interesting too.

Defender
04-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Hmm... another hard to decide-poll! I love so much "Americana" 's intro-songs and I like "CO1" 's "Come out swinging" but RAFRAG' s opener unexpectedly impressed me the most, so I am going with it...

cool 2 hate 681
04-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I went with the first album I couldn' let it get 0 votes

randman21
04-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Yeah I can't believe S/T isn't getting any love. Jennifer Lost the War is a great opener, Elders is a decent song, and Out on Patrol is the best song on the album.

dff_punk
04-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Yup. When I listened to S/T for the first time, Elders was the song I liked the most at the first listen. Jennifer is great too, a great opener that showcases the album's style brilliantly.

danitanev
04-09-2012, 01:02 AM
Smash is my favorite for Best album opening and closing too, but I'm glad to see RAF, RAG is close to it! Actually I think this poll is much more competitive than the other for Best Album closing! :)

DeeThree
04-09-2012, 11:53 AM

100% agree with you mate

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Again, I'm very sorry. Like I mentioned before, I'd like this thread to slip into the cracks of unknown BBS history.

I designed it poorly and should be stoned to death because of that.

Degstur Lolland
04-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Go make version 2.0. Intro/2 songs. Those without intro would have a disadvantage, but that's ok.

sneedo83
04-11-2012, 03:53 PM
I dig The Noose but Long Way Home is a boring song after that, it's a shame.

I'll have to go for Smash I'd say.

Supa
04-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I dig The Noose but Long Way Home is a boring song after that, it's a shame.

I'll have to go for Smash I'd say.

How can you say Long Way Home is a boring song?:eek:

Lupin
04-12-2012, 02:52 AM
Yeah I can't believe S/T isn't getting any love. Jennifer Lost the War is a great opener, Elders is a decent song, and Out on Patrol is the best song on the album.

Crossroads?? I'll Be Waiting?? ... ... ... holy shit, i'm putting the s/t on the jukebox!

Llamas
04-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Crossroads?? I'll Be Waiting?? ... ... ... holy shit, i'm putting the s/t on the jukebox!

Uhh, did you pay ANY attention to what this thread is about? Crossroads and I'll Be Waiting are not in the OPENER of the album. I mean, even the title of this thread says "Best Album Opener". Not "Best Album". *facepalm

Lupin
04-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Uhh, did you pay ANY attention to what this thread is about? Crossroads and I'll Be Waiting are not in the OPENER of the album. I mean, even the title of this thread says "Best Album Opener". Not "Best Album". *facepalm

Yup, i know. I just did it to get a 'facepalm'.

Supa
04-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Seeing also the lack of love for Ixnay, I want to chip in that The Meaning Of Life is a great opener. And while Mota and Me & My Old Lady are both good songs, I don't think they stand up to the rest of the band's opening album tracks.

cool 2 hate 681
04-12-2012, 12:55 PM
How can you say Long Way Home is a boring song?:eek:

yeah me either i think it's one of the best songs on splinter

Supa
04-12-2012, 01:18 PM
I think Splinter has some of the best tracks from the band. I like every song, but I think they ruined the pace with The Worst Hangover Ever, Da Hui, and When You're In Prison. Good stand alone songs, but they ruined the pace. And from Neocon through Race Against Myself, Splinter is their hardest hitting album, in my opinion.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-13-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm scared to make a new thread. Someone else do it.

cool 2 hate 681
04-13-2012, 02:13 PM
I think Splinter has some of the best tracks from the band. I like every song, but I think they ruined the pace with The Worst Hangover Ever, Da Hui, and When You're In Prison. Good stand alone songs, but they ruined the pace. And from Neocon through Race Against Myself, Splinter is their hardest hitting album, in my opinion.

Im also not a fan of Hit That or Spare Me the Details and I like Da Hui

Supa
04-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Period or in the context of the album?

DividingByZero71
04-14-2012, 01:46 AM
Anything that doesnt have an "introduction" like from Co1. Me personally its just a waste, splinter is a perfect example which has only 10 songs (neocon and When you're in prison dont count)

cool 2 hate 681
04-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Period or in the context of the album?

im just not a fan of those songs in general

Supa
04-14-2012, 09:13 PM
I can understand that, as they aren't for everyone. But I like them.

DividingByZero71
04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Maintaining our client's hair integrity and providing award-winning
customer service is our top priority of our Bayside Salon. See our
price list for service specials from our Bayside Salon and seasonal
coupons that offer affordable luxury. Prom specials, discounted
Brazilian Smoothing Treatments, and more.

go away. no one cares