PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jim Marshall

Lord Phidias
04-06-2012, 01:34 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/la-me-jim-marshall-20120406,0,7731042.story

My chances of getting a Marshall amp have diminished, now their prices went sky-high for the passing of this rock n roll grandpa.

My Name Was Taken
04-06-2012, 01:45 PM
My chances of getting a Marshall amp have diminished, now their prices went sky-high for the passing of this rock n roll grandpa.

Way to make someone's death all about you. sheesh.

T-6005
04-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Is it just me, or is Lord Phidias getting the major short end of the stick here?

The major end of the short stick.

The major short of the end stick.

The major stick of the end short.

The stick end of the short major.

Yeah, last one was the best.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-06-2012, 11:28 PM
I don't exactly understand what just happened, but it made me laugh.

Llamas
04-07-2012, 07:04 AM

If this isn't a classic example of an insecure member taking every opportunity to piss on someone that they deem lower than themselves, in order to "fit in"... then llamas suck.

Seriously, why would anyone really care about the death of an old man who probably lived a long, prosperous life, and whom we'd never even heard of until he died? It's like when the guy who invented bagels died. I wasn't sad. I just ate a ton of bagels because they're awesome.

mrconeman
04-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Seriously, why would anyone really care about the death of an old man who probably lived a long, prosperous life, and whom we'd never even heard of until he died? It's like when the guy who invented bagels died. I wasn't sad. I just ate a ton of bagels because they're awesome.

Considering he's pretty much tied for first place with Les Paul, and Leo Fender for creating the sound of modern guitar and recording, also the man responsible for the sounds of almost everyone's favourite guitar player, and everyone's favourite album - a shit load of people do care. Including me.

The out pour on my Facebook and Twitter was huge when he died, also. He was a hugely important figure in music, and a really stand up guy, by all accounts. I was bummed.

I don't play Marshall's (though I used to, I play Blackstar amps, which is a company founded by former Marshall engineers), but I'm well aware that without Jim Marshall and his company, guitar in general would be a hell of a lot further back than it is, and pretty much every rival amp manufacturer owes their technology to him.

edit: also yes, this was pathetic:

edit 2: Llamas, you should just read the article, it does a way better job than me of explaining how important, and really cool he was.

Homer
04-07-2012, 03:21 PM
I love my Marshall half stack...

Rest in peace, Jim. Rest in fucking peace. *guitar solo*

Lord Phidias
04-07-2012, 05:03 PM

Lol, ok...

My Name Was Taken
04-07-2012, 05:16 PM
If this isn't a classic example of an insecure member taking every opportunity to piss on someone that they deem lower than themselves, in order to "fit in"... then llamas suck.

I wasn't trying to "fit in" I was actually making fun of the way you guys make everything he says sound bad. It was 100% sarcastic.

mrconeman
04-07-2012, 07:11 PM
The Bighead effect.

Lord Phidias
04-07-2012, 09:49 PM
I wasn't trying to "fit in" I was actually making fun of the way you guys make everything he says sound bad. It was 100% sarcastic.

I didn't recognize sarcasm, nor did the other people.

The Bighead effect.

Hope not.

Llamas
04-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Considering he's pretty much tied for first place with Les Paul, and Leo Fender for creating the sound of modern guitar and recording, also the man responsible for the sounds of almost everyone's favourite guitar player, and everyone's favourite album - a shit load of people do care. Including me.

The out pour on my Facebook and Twitter was huge when he died, also. He was a hugely important figure in music, and a really stand up guy, by all accounts. I was bummed.

I don't play Marshall's (though I used to, I play Blackstar amps, which is a company founded by former Marshall engineers), but I'm well aware that without Jim Marshall and his company, guitar in general would be a hell of a lot further back than it is, and pretty much every rival amp manufacturer owes their technology to him.

edit: also yes, this was pathetic:

edit 2: Llamas, you should just read the article, it does a way better job than me of explaining how important, and really cool he was.

Fair enough, I shouldn't have said, "Why would anyone care..." but instead, "Most people don't care..." I get why someone who's really into the stuff this guy invented would care about him. You've probably noticed, though, that I rarely care about celebrity (if you can call this guy a celebrity... but the point still stands) deaths and am automatically less interested/concerned than the majority of people. It takes a LOT for me to actually feel sad about such a death. So I didn't find anything wrong with LP's thread, and would've probably made a similar post if I was posting about someone dying whom I didn't know.

WebDudette
04-08-2012, 06:51 AM
You've probably noticed, though, that I rarely care about celebrity (if you can call this guy a celebrity... but the point still stands) deaths and am automatically less interested/concerned than the majority of people. It takes a LOT for me to actually feel sad about such a death.

Then why comment at all?

Llamas
04-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Then why comment at all?

Sorry, but that's a really dumb question. If you go back and read my original comment, it wasn't about this guy; it was about MNWT's stupid post. I have nothing to say about this guy, and I haven't said anything about him. I've been addressing other people in this thread. And that's why I've commented.

WebDudette
04-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Ah, I understand the context now, this is what I get for being awake at 6am. When you said LP I honestly thought you meant the thread about Les Paul and how you could understand why people cared, because he's popular. However, you would have said 'who cares' about any other famous person you didn't recognize.

Yeaaaaah, I'm really sorry, I'll see my way out.

Llamas
04-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Ah, I understand the context now, this is what I get for being awake at 6am. When you said LP I honestly thought you meant the thread about Les Paul and how you could understand why people cared, because he's popular. However, you would have said 'who cares' about any other famous person you didn't recognize.

Yeaaaaah, I'm really sorry, I'll see my way out.

Lolz, it's all good ;)

mrconeman
04-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Fair enough, I shouldn't have said, "Why would anyone care..."
Yeah, I was just clarifying that it wasn't some nobody :)

But instead, "Most people don't care..."
I don't even know about that though. Especially considering the nature of this forum.