PDA

View Full Version : Buying and reselling tickets...really?

Mustardgas
04-07-2012, 06:49 PM
what a bogus scam.. Weenie roast tickets came out 2 days ago and the lawn tickets are already sold out...i check craigslist and stubhub and people are selling them for well over the original value...Im a huge Offspring fan but I honestly cannot justify buying off these f*ckers on craigslist just trying to make some money.. I understand if things sell out they cant sell anymore but to have people overselling them on other websites is just ridiculous to me. my only hope is as we get closer to the date some people will get desperate and me and my buddies can pick up some tickets. such a burrrnnnN!!!

randman21
04-07-2012, 07:11 PM
I think re-selling tickets for more than face value is prohibited on CL. Maybe if you report them enough times, they'll repost them at a fair price. Post the link and I'll report as well.

Mustardgas
04-07-2012, 07:18 PM
trust me its like online piracy..so many people are doing it there is no way they can stop it. I mean have you gone to stubhub and typed in weenie roast 2012. tickets normally are going for 60 bucks they are selling them 120 a pop. same thing with craigslist. I know im just complaining but i just needed to vent i guess...

but as the saying goes dont hate the playa hate the game

mrconeman
04-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah ticket scalping is pretty much impossible to stamp out completely. They'll probably start tying your ticket to your ID or something, if they haven't already in some places.

jacknife737
04-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Anybody who scalps tickets for more than its face value is scum.

Lord Phidias
04-07-2012, 10:05 PM
I just bought yesterday reselled tickets to see Radiohead, I'm giving those to my gf as a first anniversary present, because she loves them. I struggled for 3 weeks to get those, because the tickets were sold out and after a long research, I found many people reselling their tickets because they weren't going to be able to go to the event, so I just paid 200 extra pesos (18 usd) for the original price (90 usd each, fucking expensive present...), I'm very satisfied! There were also people reselling tickets for more than twice the original value, which is a fucking abuse, it is banned here, if the police catches people doing it it's prison. So try looking everyday for tickets, everywhere, I heard twitter is a good place to find people willing to sell you tickets for the original price, so don't give up!

Llamas
04-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Scalpers really are the scum of the earth. What's sick is how downloaders are being targeted and attacked for "stealing" files online, while comparatively little is being done to prevent scalping. How often is the internet patrolled for scalpers to sue? And the reason it's like this is because there's zero morality involved; it's all about whether or not they're making their money. Scalpers cause all the tickets to get sold, so they don't really care. The only time scalping is targeted is when people get free tickets and try to sell them for below face value - which is the only time scalping SHOULDN'T be under attack.

Little_Miss_1565
04-08-2012, 10:56 AM
The only time scalping is targeted is when people get free tickets and try to sell them for below face value - which is the only time scalping SHOULDN'T be under attack.

I disagree. When I get free tickets I can't use, I give them away. Selling tickets you got for free is a scumbag move.

JohnnyNemesis
04-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I disagree. When I get free tickets I can't use, I give them away.

I do the same, but sometimes people insist on paying me anyway. I think it's a bit of a grey area; I think it can be a little scummy, but I did just go 4 months without a job, and I likely would have done something like that because it'd have been almost ridiculous not to.

killer_queen
04-10-2012, 07:29 AM
My friend usually buys more than one ticket for herself for opera and before the show starts she gives the ticket for free to a handsome guy (if there is one) who waits outside of the opera house so she can meet someone with similar tastes in music. I swear it's my friend. Not me.

samseby
04-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Yeah, the world is a bad place ;)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
'tis a shame

mario_spaghettio
04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Seriously, fuck all of you whiners. Supply and demand. The entire world economy is based on this. Everything you buy is scalped in one fashion or another. I have bought tickets just to resell many times and made a lot of cash doing so. I just regret missing the boat on that Hannah Montana shit. Can you imagine dropping a couple hundred on tickets and flipping them for $10,000? It's not like you're withholding water from the thirsty. Concerts are a luxury and should be priced accordingly based on the supply of tickets and the demand for them. Big deal if you miss a show. Get a fucking grip people.

Degstur Lolland
04-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Mario, you are cute and very kind. :)

samseby
04-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Seriously, fuck all of you whiners. Supply and demand. The entire world economy is based on this. Everything you buy is scalped in one fashion or another. I have bought tickets just to resell many times and made a lot of cash doing so. I just regret missing the boat on that Hannah Montana shit. Can you imagine dropping a couple hundred on tickets and flipping them for $10,000? It's not like you're withholding water from the thirsty. Concerts are a luxury and should be priced accordingly based on the supply of tickets and the demand for them. Big deal if you miss a show. Get a fucking grip people.

So true (partially that is) ;). I haven't bought any tickets up to now just for the sole purpose of reselling them though. But if I wouldn't be able to go to a show I'd try to sell my tickets for what I paid at least ... if in the end I'd manage to sell them for twice the price I wouldn't say no to that either - would you? ... I'm not that good of a person ;)

No one is actually 'forced' to buy overpriced tickets. If in fact someone does it's their fault and not the fault of those trying to make some money ... like it or not.

Edit:
Not quite on topic but even better question is: Are some ticket prices in general justified? And how much is actually in it for the bands themeselves and how much money is for the management, the agencies, the promoters and the like?

Little_Miss_1565
04-21-2012, 02:17 PM
I remember for KROQ's Almost Acoustic Christmas, a bunch of seats had to be won by calling in to the station. A bunch of other seats were for the bands' guests. And then another portion of the seats could be purchased. I'm not surprised at all to hear that seats for one of their biggest events all year sold out immediately, and you shouldn't be either. You should also know that you can still win tickets from the station.