PDA

View Full Version : Justin Biber or: How I Learned to Stop Obsessing Over Music Created for Preteen Girls

WebDudette
04-08-2012, 02:11 AM
I wish I could say that I've never heard of Justin Bieber, not because I think he's the worst thing that has ever happened to mankind, or because I think he's is singly handily ruining modern music. I wish I could say I'd never heard of Justin Bieber because I'm fucking tired of hearing grown ass men drone on and on and on about a teenager who creates music SPECIFICALLY TARGETED AT YOUNG GIRLS.

I can't pinpoint the day the name Justin Bieber became recognizable to me and synonymous with the kid who makes manufactured pop music, but I would be willing to bet everything I own that I know who he is because some 20something dude was calling for his death, calling him a faggot, or something along those lines. I know people like to talk about him as if he is occupying every facet of media and they have to deal with a Bieber onslaught everyday of their lives, but I find that incredibly hard to believe. Even if you have a Bieber superfan for a little sister and you are actually subjected to him on a daily basis, why the fuck you'd want to subject everyone else to it as well? I guess what I'm getting at here is, if grown ass men stopped complaining about Justin Bieber most grown ass men would never even know about him. Said grown ass men need to grow the fuck up and realize that they are not going to have the same taste in music as little girls, different demographics and shit.

So, that's one rant I wanted to get out there. On to the real topic of this thread, who the fuck thinks this shit is clever or an accurate representation of generations and music?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/SystemSloth/yrzsE.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/SystemSloth/shakur-1.jpg

First of all, why would anyone ever choose to compare genres like this? It's always frustrating when people make such baseless and outlandish comparisons, but this one is straight bullshit. Not to mention that cherry picking some of the most famous artists from the last 40 years and using them as a generalized example for entire generations is just plain silly. Apparently bad music didn't exist until the last 10 years. It's not like people forget about all the shit bands from past generations because they were shit bands.

Also, I'm not an expert on the subject, but I'm pretty sure Led Zepplin had mostly shitty lyrics (including these) and stole plenty of material at one point or another, so that's pretty cool. Yeah, I said it, Led Zepplin pretty much suck. I know next to nothing about Tupac and have no comments to make about him.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be giving honest or legitimate criticisms, but there is a huge difference between that and people throwing around death threats or baseless claims that all modern day music is void of talent and it's all shit. If some people spent half as much time looking for new music as they did concerning themselves with what Justin Bieber is doing and complaining about new music, they'd find out that we might be living in one of the best, if not the best time for music, in history. Seriously, artists have never had so many freedoms in regards to making music, and it's never been so easy to find artists that practically tailor their music to you taste. Mostly though, they wouldn't have to complain about it anymore and I wouldn't have to hear their vapid bullshit every time I open my internet browser.

So, is there anyone who disagrees with me and has any kind of reason outside of 'lololo biber is gay, stairway to heaven fiveever'?

TL;DR: Kanye West is the greatest artist of all time, OF ALL TIME! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Llamas
04-08-2012, 06:01 AM
I make fun of Bieber and the like sometimes when it comes up. I posted this img some time ago, but it was mostly for laughs. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TLjxYXIxtKY/T0tK3Rl5ikI/AAAAAAAADcI/Sfdva1PI0Ls/s1600/425255_10150596921367138_500557137_9092003_1797553 504_n.jpg

I'm with you that the haters of Bieber are far more annoying than Bieber and his fans .I only know one person who is a Bieber fan, and he's a 14-year-old student of mine. I don't get how people get so riled up about this without being surrounded by Bieber fans. It's totally different than hating Nickelback; a big part of my beef with Nickelback is hearing people my age going on and on about how awesome they are and how anyone who doesn't appreciate "real" music like Nickelback must be a fan of Bieber. But the opposite doesn't exist.

I mean, the demographic is a huge point of contention - including in these images comparing lyrics. Can you imagine a singer who targets teenage and pre-teen girls, singing, "With each word your tenderness grows, tearing my fear apart, and that laugh that wrinkles your nose, it touches my foolish heart"? Teenagers are moronic demons dressed in human clothes; it's way too much to ask of them that they listen to music with good lyrics. Let them have their shitty music. They'll grow out of it, and hopefully into some better music when they get older.

PS: That youtube comparison is bullshit. Tupac died long before Youtube existed. Most of the listeners in HIS demographic aren't searching Youtube to listen to him. Most of them actually own his CDs. Bieber's demographic spend all day on the internet. Horribly stupid comparison. How about comparing their CD sales and seeing how much more "popular" Tupac is?

WebDudette
04-08-2012, 06:25 AM
I saw a guy compare views from a 3 minute Eminem video to Kanye's 30 minute ego-orgy and present that as an argument for why Eminem should have won a Grammy he wasn't nominated for. I thought that was pretty funny.

Al Coholic
04-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I always though Pink Floyd was annoying and overrated. They're not bad or anything, they're just not that good.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
04-08-2012, 02:37 PM
First of all, why would anyone ever choose to compare genres like this? It's always frustrating when people make such baseless and outlandish comparisons, but this one is straight bullshit. Not to mention that cherry picking some of the most famous artists from the last 40 years and using them as a generalized example for entire generations is just plain silly. Apparently bad music didn't exist until the last 10 years. It's not like people forget about all the shit bands from past generations because they were shit bands.

Well these genres are all "pop." They were all popular at the time and that would make 2pac "pop even though he was rap and it would make Frank "pop" too even though he was Jazz or Swing or whatever he was. Now, my point is that people are comparing binding mainstream genres and complaining about the state of music. These days, music is targeted towards retarded teen-boppers like you said, and the quality of music horribly sucks balls compared to past talents. Compare, Nikki Minaj, Newboyz, Lil Wayne, and other rappers to past rappers like Pac, biggie, Dre, Snoop, and P. Diddy. Rap is just...Compare the best punk bands: BR, the offspring, NOFX, Minor Threat, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys. Now compare the punk bands of today. There aren't any. Point is, the quality of mainstream music became shit. You used to be able to turn on the radio and have good shit coming out. The only quality and talented genre of music from the modern age is dubstep. And I'm not trying to sound like a hipster but dubstep will soon start to suck because someone's going to try and formulate it and make money effortlessly without putting any feel or work into the music. Dubstep will become more about the money than about the dubstep.

On the topic of mainstream: I don't knock it because it is popular. Shit, I listen to Skrillex, The offspring, greenday, We came as romans, and Drake. I only bash on mainstream artists because it can be seen clearly that they formulate and structure their songs to sound the same just to make as much money and possible and not have a song that is not a cash bomb

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-08-2012, 02:58 PM
What really bothers me is that Justin Bieber is mentioned on almost every other video of a punk rock song on YouTube. YouTubers always complain that he's the cause of the 1 dislike or whatever else. If it wasn't for all the haters, I would have probably only heard Justin Bieber's name mentioned a few times in my life.

I mean, from the two songs of his that I've heard, I agree he has terrible music and should be contained to a small sound-proof container in the ocean somewhere, but his music wasn't meant for me to like. Like others have said, it was intended for the 10-13 year old female age group.

jacknife737
04-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I also really don't get the hate towards Bieber: he's no worse than any other form of popular music; the 90s had boy bands and Vanilla Ice, the 80s had hair metal and Mi Milli Vanilli..... it's always been full of shit; i fail to see how Justin Bieber is any worse.

It's also pretty easy to ignore as well; i don't listen to the radio, don't watch mtv: i seriously don't even know if i've actually heard a justin Bieber song in its entirety.

I always get a bit annoyed with the over-romanticization that gets attached to old bands: not saying they're bad, but its usually just really boring. I'd honestly rather sit through a Katy Perry album than one by say Pink Floyd.

Also, this comment never fails to make me laugh:

You say Justin Bieber,I say Nickelback
You say Taylor Swift,I say Breaking Benjamin
You say Lady Gaga,I say Evanescence
You say Miley Cyrus,I say Slipknot
You say T-Pain,I say Three Days Grace
You say Emenem,I say Linkin Park
You say Jonas Brother,Isay Green Day
92% of teens have turnedteens have turned to pop and hip-hop.If you are part of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy and paste this message to 5 other videos. DON’T LET THE SPIRIT OF ROCK AND ROLL DIE

Rap is just...Compare the best punk bands: BR, the offspring, NOFX, Minor Threat, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys. Now compare the punk bands of today. There aren't any.

Oh dude, no. There's more to this genre than what's on the radio at the moment. There's been records out in the past few years that i'd put on par with any other time period in punk; just take a bit of time to explore the newer stuff, there's bound to be something you'll enjoy.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-08-2012, 03:11 PM

92% of teens have turnedteens have turned to pop and hip-hop.If you are part of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy and paste this message to 5 other videos. DON’T LET THE SPIRIT OF ROCK AND ROLL DIE

I hate that comment so much. The person acts as if Nickelback and Linkin back are the best in rock and roll. They always list some other crappy modern bands.

Oh dude, no. There's more to this genre than what's on the radio at the moment. There's been records out in the past few years that i'd put on par with any other time period in punk; just take a bit of time to explore the newer stuff, there's bound to be something you'll enjoy.
There's actually some pretty cool stuff in the "Your Band" section of the BBS. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's crap.

Jojan
04-08-2012, 03:33 PM

I can proudly say that I have only heard Eminem out of those on the left, and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JZnj4eNHXE) remake of a Lady Gaga song.

I hate that comment so much. The person acts as if Nickelback and Linkin back are the best in rock and roll. They always list some other crappy modern bands.

I can proudly say that I have disabled all comments on YouTube with this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-comment-snob/

04-08-2012, 03:47 PM

You do have a point. But see, the only punk Ive been listening to is the new BR album Dissent of Man and I'm anxious for the new Offspring Album. So yeah, I havent been searching hard enough. Point is, punk is not played like it used to be.

WebDudette
04-08-2012, 04:59 PM
eminem has some amazing songs and I feel like I have bands that would destroy what ALL ETC had to say about modern music.

Llamas
04-08-2012, 05:13 PM

A&*$((#SOIERUioetjisj89357*(&(%89jisef!!! I hate that comment so much. That, and the "xx people [who disliked this video] are Justin Bieber fans" comment. Makes me wanna put a fist through a wall. And I'm a very passive person.

BagOfShenanigans
04-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Face it, if Justin Bieber goes, someone new, and worse will pop up. Columbia isn't happy unless they have some teenage heart throb for little girls to gush over.

To be honest, if it pleases the masses of gullible, impressionable teen girls, than who am I to intercede? My sister is into Justin Bieber, I will never know why. Much to my delight, she also likes the Offspring. I think she'll grow out of Mainstream pop sooner or later.

I'm upset at the way people view hip hop, there are a lot of great hip hop artists. You just have to ask around.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-08-2012, 10:24 PM
I can proudly say that I have only heard Eminem out of those on the left, and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JZnj4eNHXE) remake of a Lady Gaga song.

I wish I could say the same. You sir, are my hero.

I can proudly say that I have disabled all comments on YouTube with this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-comment-snob/
I thank you for that. As soon as I restart my browser I'll also have that add-on.

holland25
04-09-2012, 07:46 AM

That awkward moment when you realize you listen to artists from both sides of the list, except of Bieber, T-Pain and The Jonas Brothers...

And even more awkward when you realize you actually prefer Taylor Swift over Breaking Benjamin.

EDIT: Actually no, it's not awkward... I'm not ashamed of my musical taste.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-09-2012, 09:24 AM
This is just another classic example of when the opposition to something mildly annoying is far more annoying than the thing itself. I could not give less of a shit about Bieber one way or another, so I fucking hate going to completely unrelated youtube videos and seeing the top comments all be about that kid in one way or another.

"LOL this is almost as gay as Justin Bieber!" (automatic 15 thumbs-up)

"This band kicks ass! THIS is what people should be listening to and not that Justin Bieber fag!!!" (automatic 20 thumbs-up)

This type of thing has been happening forever. It's still going on with Nickelback, because dumping on their music is the safest ground ever for validating one's own taste in music. It even happened on this BBS back a few years ago when a bunch of young British posters would not shut up about "chavs." If "chavs" actually exist, sure, maybe they're annoying, but there is absolutely no way in hell they were as annoying as people who complained about it.

Probably the earliest example of this that I could relate to was Adam Sandler back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I never thought he was the funniest guy ever, and yes, a lot of the time he was painfully unfunny. But I thought a couple of his movies were pretty amusing. Back then, people who were anti-Sandler felt the need to be as vehement as they possibly could about it, and they always came off as elitist. Oh, you think a guy who wrote a song called "Dip Doodle" is "immature"? Congrats on forming that opinion! So, while I was never a huge Adam Sandler fan, I was always rooting for him. Whenever he had a new movie come out, I always wanted it to actually be good so that people might shut the fuck up. I hope Bieber comes out with a really kickass album sometime soon.

Llamas
04-09-2012, 10:07 AM
That awkward moment when you realize you listen to artists from both sides of the list, except of Bieber, T-Pain and The Jonas Brothers...

And even more awkward when you realize you actually prefer Taylor Swift over Breaking Benjamin.

EDIT: Actually no, it's not awkward... I'm not ashamed of my musical taste.

That's something I appreciate and respect about you. You have terrible taste in music, you know you have terrible taste in music, but you own it. You don't give a shit what people think or say, and instead you like what you fuckin' like. More people should be like this. It's how I am about the movies I like. I have terrible taste in movies, and I don't care. No shame. I like what I like and shut the fuck up :)

This type of thing has been happening forever. It's still going on with Nickelback, because dumping on their music is the safest ground ever for validating one's own taste in music. It even happened on this BBS back a few years ago when a bunch of young British posters would not shut up about "chavs." If "chavs" actually exist, sure, maybe they're annoying, but there is absolutely no way in hell they were as annoying as people who complained about it.

As stated earlier in this thread, I don't think Nickelback is comparable to Bieber, simply because of the demographic. While I never would hear anything about Bieber if it weren't for the haters, it can be pretty infuriating trying to avoid Nickelback-obsession. People who talk positively about Bieber are like 13; for Nickelback, they're in their 20s. Since I work with adults all the time, and all my friends and acquaintances are adults, I'm much more likely to find myself defending why I don't like Nickelback.

Hating Nickelback is also a way of bonding for me. ;)

Probably the earliest example of this that I could relate to was Adam Sandler back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I never thought he was the funniest guy ever, and yes, a lot of the time he was painfully unfunny. But I thought a couple of his movies were pretty amusing. Back then, people who were anti-Sandler felt the need to be as vehement as they possibly could about it, and they always came off as elitist. Oh, you think a guy who wrote a song called "Dip Doodle" is "immature"? Congrats on forming that opinion! So, while I was never a huge Adam Sandler fan, I was always rooting for him. Whenever he had a new movie come out, I always wanted it to actually be good so that people might shut the fuck up. I hope Bieber comes out with a really kickass album sometime soon.

I totally agree with you here. Will Ferrell is the new Adam Sandler in this regard.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-09-2012, 10:48 AM
It's how I am about the movies I like. I have terrible taste in movies, and I don't care. No shame. I like what I like and shut the fuck up
In most cases I respect people's movie opinions. What really bothers me is when people are like "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace are way better movies than Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back." Okay, first of all, yes, I am a nerd. Second of all, The original trilogy is a hundred times greater than the new movies.

But sometimes my taste isn't very good either. I love the Transformers movies. I also love that 2010 movie "Predators". The sequel style movie to the original Predator movie. It would bother me if someone said that Predators is a much better movie than Citizen Kane, or something of that nature. A movie doesn't need to be a masterpiece to be enjoyable, and just because I like it doesn't mean it's an amazing movie.

Okay that's the end of my rant.

coke_a_holic
04-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I only listen to Mamaleek now. It's the only non-commercial music. It is the only music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qg8vut4dZ0

Harleyquiiinn
04-10-2012, 01:37 AM
You say Justin Bieber, I say Worlds Apart.

Shitty bands made for teenage girls always existed and honestly, I feel it is a little bit better that guys chose to make little girls happy are now teenagersinstead of full grown men. So yeah, I completely agree with Pilz-E

What sucks is I can't guarantee that if I were 13-14 now, I wouldn't be secretly in love with Justin Bieber.

Isolated Fury
04-10-2012, 06:17 AM
I'm sure this is just a reiteration or generation differences. Do you think everyone loved the Beatles when they first appeared? If you ask me, there seemed to be a lot more screaming/moistening girls in the crowd than guys. And what about the older people that didn't like them? Are we just going to call them ignorant asses now? No. They didn't like that music, just like you don't like Bieber. I will laugh my balls off if Justin Bieber is just as big, if not bigger, as he is now. Just. Like. The Beatles.

And this doesn't just apply to the 60s or the Beatles. Look at Hanson. If you ask anyone that only heard "MmmBop" during their days in the spotlight, that person will tell you how retarded that song was and how retarded that band was. If you ask anyone that's given that band any sort of chance outside of "MmmBop", they'll tell you that they could be one of the most talented bands still playing today (ugh... I feel like Tizz right now). Teenage girls loved it; everyone else hated it. Same with ANY hair-metal from the 80s. Teenage guys wanted to be them, and teenage girls wanted to fuck them. Their parents thought they were the devil.

No band from one generation can be better than a band from another generation. They're two completely different things. There are too many factors involved in the comparison. What was popular before this? What activities are people involved with while listening to this? Will sales come more from live events or album sales? It's easy to take a "good" band from the past (even a years ago kind of past) and compare it to a "bad" new band. That good band was a reputation built as being a good band. That alone could smash the competition. But what about two bands that are considered classics? What if you compare Chuck Berry and Michael Jackson? I don't want to hear anything like "lol but chuck berry is black" or "MJ TOUCHED LITTLE BOYS." We're talking about two great artists. Most people will tell you that Chuck Berry was one of the first to shape the way rock and roll came to be. Those same people will tell you the Michael Jackson was the world's greatest entertainer. The point is that they're from two separate times. The people that listened to Chuck Berry would have thought that MJ was complete garbage. The people that listened to MJ would have called Berry and dinosaur. We as the later generation can appreciate both, though. They're still two completely different sounds, but we know that they are good.

The sooner everyone realizes that this isn't something you can control with bitching and "thumbs-downing" videos, the better. Music evolves and grows, just like people's tastes and preferences. It's useless to criticize Bieber. He'll still have fans. He'll still make music. Hell, we don't know just how long he'll be around. He could turn out to be one of the late greats that we compare to "stupid new shitty music."

killer_queen
04-10-2012, 06:20 AM
About Justin or any teen star who has nothing to do with music, I just can't say "oh well, they will always exist, who cares", their effect on teens is too big. I read somewhere that the music we listen to when we are pre-teens defines us for the rest of our life. Okay, I didn't read it, I heard it on an episode of Criminal Minds, but it's true. You start to choose what you want to listen instead of what your parents listen and even if you grow up and listen to different genres the music you listened to then always has an effect on your tastes.

Now I know popular music is commercialized and they don't care how this music affects the teenagers life but I don't think it would be hard, or would make them loose money if they just put some finer lyrics into the songs; lyrics that can mirror their feelings (without going crawling in my skin) or make them better people.
Unfortunately they don't. And parents can't forbid their kids to listen to that kind of crap. At that point Pilz-e, I think those pictures that are neither funny nor clever become great things. When you are a teen most of your actions are shaped by people around you. For example I stopped listening to classical music and took a break on my piano education because my friends thought me of snob and old-fashioned so I went and bought Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water. Since almost all of the teens spend their time on the web it's nice to have some things that could remind them their taste is terrible, even insult them for it. Even if just a teeny tint percent of the teens are affected by them and look for finer kind of music it's a great thing.

Teen music isn't supposed to be bad and meaningless. It should be simple and easily listened without lyrics about complex feelings. This Biber guy is terrible even for its own genre. I'm not expecting 13 year olds to listen Stravinsky but their tastes shouldn't be deformed at a young age either. Not just about music, think of literature, films and even food. Think of the difference between Twilight and Harry Potter series, they are both for teens and easily read but while HP introduces literature to the kids and make them want to read something else in the future Twilight makes young girls get used to bland, short sentences and can't take anything more complex than that. It might seem harmless when a teen listens to Bieber, reads twilight and eat nothing but fast food but there are so many people who are over their 30s and still listen to bland pop music, read best sellers it seems kinda scary. And if it takes some pictures with weird comparisons or stupid comments on youtube to make them fewer, so be it.

WebDudette
04-10-2012, 11:11 PM
killer_queen, I see what you're saying, but most everyone who shit talks Justin Bieber on the internet is preaching to the choir. If you want to take your little sister aside and show her what you think is actually good music or whatever, that's cool. When I'm on a website dominated by 20-30 year old males, I don't want one out of every ten posts to be about Justin Bieber, seeing adults complain about a teen idol is fucking pathetic. Honestly though, I don't care if people listen to Justin Bieber and I genuinely like plenty of modern pop music.

Isolated Fury, I'm pretty certain we're on the same page here.

All in All, I'm not going to say I'm an expert on modern day punk music, because I never did listen to much punk, but I can almost guarantee you it is out there. I will post a picture of my junk on this forum if you spent sometime looking and couldn't find a single punk band from the last 5 years you liked. Basically, if you're only getting music from the radio and what used to be on the radio, you're doing it wrong, really, really wrong.

Here are some of my partially educated guesses at modern day punk, I'm sure others could be a lot more helpful:

The Lawrence Arms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CrL6pL7Jvw)

Andrew Jackson Jihad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkkjDMXkb60)

Rise Against (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-SQGOYOjxs)

Billy Talent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwy5VK8xR_I)

Gallows (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hvF3mDOmSo)

Gaslight Anthem

The Hold Steady

Say Anything

Titus Andronicus

I have very little experience with any of these bands, these are just some bands that I know people who enjoy(ed) the bands you mentioned enjoy.

Now, if you want something a little closer to traditional punk, something more aggressive, I can definitely help you with that. Everyone I knew growing up listened to the bands you listened to and now listen to stuff like this:

Give up the Ghost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXkfGk5Quw8)

Touché Amoré (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIzg5aPBPrw&feature=related)

Have Heart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv8Zth1AvGM)

Ceremony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPPDWElqoZQ)

Where Eagles Dare (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JYoPo3sc9Y)

Verse

Shipwreck AD

Run with the Hunted

Circle Takes the Square

If you're interested in any of this, let me know and I can help you find more. If not, don't fret, I literally pulled these bands out of my ass over a like 5 minute period without knowing anything besides 'likes old pop punk'.

Here are some other bands I'd just highly recommend still kind of in the same vein, a little bit:

At the Drive-In (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NYbojdoAQE)

Blood Brothers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_kmrQhTsfM)

the Weakerthans

the Mountain Goats

Tom Waits

Frank Turner

Again, this isn't even scratching the surface.

yarock
04-11-2012, 07:45 AM
I say Nickelback

Haha, I wish you said something else. I can swear I saw something like "You say H. Montana, I say the Offsprings".

BagOfShenanigans
04-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Haha, I wish you said something else. I can swear I saw something like "You say H. Montana, I say the Offsprings".

Nickelback is okay.. they had that one good song.. the one about.. umm. Something like.. a photograph or something?
Well, there's also that one song they made about.. uhh.. well, shit. Erm, ehh..
Well, that's irrelevant because they have that one really nice song about...... shit.

Fuck it.

holland25
04-11-2012, 08:59 AM
I can swear I saw something like "You say H. Montana, I say the Offsprings".

That would be undoubtedly the biggest dilemma of my life.

Isolated Fury
04-11-2012, 09:15 AM
I will post a picture of my junk on this forum...
Yes please.

Degstur Lolland
04-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Pedo music taste or negative biber publicity?

Retard
04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Also, I'm not an expert on the subject, but I'm pretty sure Led Zepplin had mostly shitty lyrics (including these) and stole plenty of material at one point or another, so that's pretty cool. Yeah, I said it, Led Zepplin pretty much suck. I know next to nothing about Tupac and have no comments to make about him.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That paragraph made me fall in love with you sir, beautiful words.

Little_Miss_1565
04-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Thought this was relevant to the discussion:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/music-fails-music-fails-for-everyone-tired-of-seeing-music-then-vs-music-now-posts.gif

mrconeman
04-12-2012, 02:07 PM
^ Lets not put Led Zeppelin and Florence and the Machine in the same category tho.
But yeah, that's about right.

Llamas
04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Ahhh awesome diagram, Sarah.

^ Lets not put Led Zeppelin and Florence and the Machine in the same category tho.

Technically, Florence's lyrics totally pwn Led Zeppelin's. Of course LZ was far superior to Florence musically... but we're comparing lyrics here.

Retard
04-12-2012, 04:02 PM

Yea Florence and the Machine are a thousand times more enjoyable.
I'd rather listen to Justin Bieber than bands like Bad Company or the Eagles any day.

yarock
04-12-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't know, well-made music doesn't always bring quality lyrics. The mid 90s Oasis is probably considered the best of the era yet they have lyrics like

"i'm feeling supersonic
give me gin and tonic
you can have it all but how much do you want it?
you make me laugh
give me your autograph
can i ride with you in your bmw ?
you can sail with me in my yellow submarine"

from Supersonic, another verse from the same song-

"i know a girl called elsa
she's into alka seltzer
she sniffs it through a cane on a supersonic train
she made me laugh
i got her autograph
she done it with a doctor on a helicopter
she's sniffin in her tissue
sellin' the big issue "

Some Might Say's chorus:

"cos i've been standing at the station
in need of education in the rain
you made no preparation for my reputation once again
the sink is full of fishes
cos she's got dirty dishes on the brain
and my dog's been itchin'
itchin' in the kitchen once again "

These two aren't band's prominent songs but they're singles and have music videos I believe.

WebDudette
04-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Yeah, Sarah that puts it in pretty concise terms. If you can't find new music you like today, it's your own damn fault, no one else.

mrconeman
04-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Technically, Florence's lyrics totally pwn Led Zeppelin's. Of course LZ was far superior to Florence musically... but we're comparing lyrics here.
I can't listen to Florence long enough to distinguish lyrics beyond the horribly mediocre/annoying music (opinionopinionopinion), but I mean come on, they're just not in the same category in anyway. There are many great bands and artists writing great lyrics and music these days though. Florence and Zeppelin being compared just rubs me the wrong way :D

Yea Florence and the Machine are a thousand times more enjoyable.

Your name must be more appropriate than I thought :O

These two aren't band's prominent songs but they're singles and have music videos I believe.
You're right with this. Well made music does not need quality lyrics, it's a bonus if it has them. Oasis have much better lyrics than the song listed though, and Noel (the primary lyricist) has often said things about writing really nonsensical lyrics just because they sound good to the ear, which may not make them good lyrics from any kind of "deep meaning" stand point, but it makes them good lyrics for a musical reason, for a pop/rock band to write a single.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-13-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm always willing to try out different bands I haven't listened to, but I'm a little more hesitant if it's a new band, just because most of the "popular" music of today sucks in my opinion.

I end up liking about 10% of the bands people recommend to me.

Llamas
04-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Yeah, Sarah that puts it in pretty concise terms. If you can't find new music you like today, it's your own damn fault, no one else.

I'm always willing to try out different bands I haven't listened to, but I'm a little more hesitant if it's a new band, just because most of the "popular" music of today sucks in my opinion.

I end up liking about 10% of the bands people recommend to me.

I kinda lol'd at this.

I can't listen to Florence long enough to distinguish lyrics beyond the horribly mediocre/annoying music (opinionopinionopinion), but I mean come on, they're just not in the same category in anyway. There are many great bands and artists writing great lyrics and music these days though. Florence and Zeppelin being compared just rubs me the wrong way

I know, you only like female musicians if they're Irish (lololo), but damn, you're hating on Florence pretty hard here. Minus "Kiss with a Fist" (terrible song), she writes very interesting songs. She has a pretty weak voice and for that reason, not in a million years would I pay to see her live. But what I love about her is her talent for writing complex, layered songs with intriguing instrumentation. She's got a real knack for music arrangement.

But all that aside, in this thread, nobody posted any aural Florence - only lyrics :P This makes it very easy to see that her lyrics are really good without having to hear any of her music ;)

Your name must be more appropriate than I thought
I personally prefer to listen to Florence, even though LZ were 15x the musicians... at least Retard said she's more "enjoyable" and not "better". But he really lost me when he said he'd rather listen to Bieber than the Eagles...

You're right with this. Well made music does not need quality lyrics, it's a bonus if it has them. Oasis have much better lyrics than the song listed though, and Noel (the primary lyricist) has often said things about writing really nonsensical lyrics just because they sound good to the ear, which may not make them good lyrics from any kind of "deep meaning" stand point, but it makes them good lyrics for a musical reason, for a pop/rock band to write a single.

I hate Oasis. But you know I agree that lyrics are the mustard on my bratwurst. I'll eat a bratwurst without mustard, but I'm not gonna scoop out a big spoon of mustard and eat it alone. Awesome lyrics can't make up for crappy music, but awesome music doesn't need lyrics at all. Unless it's rap. I simply can not tolerate rap that's about bitches and hoes and money and drugs and that's it. I don't care how talented the rapper is in terms of flow and rhythm, and I really don't care about how good the beat is, because I don't listen to rap for a beat.

mrconeman
04-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I know, you only like female musicians if they're Irish (lololo)
These ladies beg to differ. (I realise you don't really believe this, but I like sharing links)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyJF-mB6q94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYEU91d8ngc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzPeTC7bH6E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDmth1YZI7k
(I could go on and on and on!) I just don't like mediocre music regardless of gender :D

Other than that I agree with everything you said, and I was merely teasing Retard :)

coke_a_holic
04-13-2012, 02:43 PM
I only listen to Mamaleek now. It's the only non-commercial music. It is the only music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qg8vut4dZ0

Commercial music sucks, Mamaleek is the only music.

MAMALEEK IS THE ONLY MUSIC.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-13-2012, 03:18 PM
What about the Offspring? They're pretty cool.

Degstur Lolland
04-13-2012, 04:15 PM
They are fat and old sellouts and everybody knows it. :cool:

And Mamaleek band should replace its singer. :cool:

WebDudette
04-13-2012, 04:33 PM
(I could go on and on and on!) I just don't like mediocre music regardless of gender :D

but... Zeppelin

What about the Offspring? They're pretty cool.

you'll realize pretty quickly that a large percent of contributing members don't listen to the Offspring often or at all.

mrconeman
04-13-2012, 05:13 PM
but... Zeppelin

Like them or loathe them, there is very little mediocre about Led Zeppelin, unless they can be considered retro-actively mediocre because of the barrage of bands that copied them, I guess.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-13-2012, 11:20 PM
you'll realize pretty quickly that a large percent of contributing members don't listen to the Offspring often or at all.
What a shame. They're a pretty good band in my opinion.

Retard
04-14-2012, 08:47 AM
I'd probably be into zeppelin if robert plant didnt open his piece of shit mouth. EVER

Llamas
04-14-2012, 10:11 AM
but... Zeppelin
What do you have against them?

Well, most of said people have more or less left the forum... I don't think there's still a large percent who fit this description anymore. I mean, who still actively posts here and doesn't like the Offspring?

Like them or loathe them, there is very little mediocre about Led Zeppelin, unless they can be considered retro-actively mediocre because of the barrage of bands that copied them, I guess.

For serious. I mean, as I mentioned, I've never really gotten into them... I don't listen to albums or anything. But I have really nothing but respect for that band. I don't care for Plant's voice, but as far as talent is concerned, he's got an incredible one. Their music was one of a kind in its hay day. They're full of energy and I'm sure seeing them live would be an absolute blast, whether or not you know their songs. I'd say the only thing they actually have had going against them is their terrible lyrics. But we've already covered my view on lyrics.

What a shame. They're a pretty good band in my opinion.
You're really a pro at making lukewarm, general comments that almost seem like they're meant to provoke ;) I think I "know" you well enough now to know you don't intend to provoke, but it's still funny when I see you do it. :P

I'd probably be into zeppelin if robert plant didnt open his piece of shit mouth. EVER
I don't care for his voice, either, but there is simply no denying how talented he is as a singer. There's a huge difference between talent and personal preference. I have enough singers I really like, who have very little singing talent - Florence is one of those people, as is M.I.A., as is Tegan and Sara, as is the Rural Albert Advantage's singer... the list goes on and on. The thing is to separate what you like from what you respect.

This thread really makes me wanna listen to Pink Floyd all day.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-14-2012, 12:36 PM
You're really a pro at making lukewarm, general comments that almost seem like they're meant to provoke ;) I think I "know" you well enough now to know you don't intend to provoke, but it's still funny when I see you do it. :P

Thank you? I'm a pro at something at least.

Retard
04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
I have no respect for plant as a singer, he sounds like he's killing a screeching cat while his balls are stuck in a giant vice while also using a butter knife on a chalkboard.

Llamas
04-14-2012, 01:50 PM
I have no respect for plant as a singer, he sounds like he's killing a screeching cat while his balls are stuck in a giant vice while also using a butter knife on a chalkboard.

Ah, I retract my defense for you. Coneman was right.

Retard
04-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Sall good dude. I could care less what people thought of my opinions.

killer_queen
04-14-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't get the deal about Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Almost everyone around me thinks they are the greatest bands ever yet I have never seen anyone who actually listens to them. No one ever recommended me a song by them. I guess we've talked about this respect thing before on the boards, and I'm willing to have respect if people with decent music tastes listen to them but they don't. I may have seen a few who liked one or two Led Zeppelin songs but to my knowledge, no one listens to Pink Floyd.

mrconeman
04-14-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't get the deal about Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Almost everyone around me thinks they are the greatest bands ever yet I have never seen anyone who actually listens to them. No one ever recommended me a song by them. I guess we've talked about this respect thing before on the boards, and I'm willing to have respect if people with decent music tastes listen to them but they don't. I may have seen a few who liked one or two Led Zeppelin songs but to my knowledge, no one listens to Pink Floyd.
You get idiots telling you Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Stones, and Pink Floyd are amazing because they've been told that. I'm a fan of all of them, and know their discography inside out.

Listen to the Meddle and Wish You Were Here albums by Pink Floyd, as an introduction, if you're interested.

Llamas
04-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Heh, I don't listen to LZ, but I do go through periods of listening to Pink Floyd. Coneman, who has very good taste in music, got me into them. I think my favorite song of their is Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYiahoYfPGk). And though the album isn't typical for them at all, I really enjoy the album, The Final Cut. The Gunner's Dream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIJN6WWf3Rg) is really nice. You should probably also listen to Echoes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kQNFyEI2rs).

killer_queen
04-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the recommendation but I'm afraid I can't do that. I absolutely hate listening to whole albums unless I'm listening to an opera or musical. After a few songs all of them sound alike and I get bored. I like it much more when people tell me the songs they like the most. Of course they all tell me another brick in the wall as if I was born in a cave or something.

Llamas
04-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the recommendation but I'm afraid I can't do that. I absolutely hate listening to whole albums unless I'm listening to an opera or musical. After a few songs all of them sound alike and I get bored. I like it much more when people tell me the songs they like the most. Of course they all tell me another brick in the wall as if I was born in a cave or something.

At first, I thought that was directed at me and I was all confused... cause I definitely recommended specific songs. But now I see Coneman posted before me. Seriously, though. Check out the songs I mentioned.

yarock
04-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Roger Waters' last album Ça Ira is a three act opera, ha funny that I was estranged from that album when I first downloaded it cause track names seemed so weird and I thought I couldn't get into them. Though the Wall is a rock opera also. The Final Cut and Waters' other solo career albums can be regarded as opera-like albums too.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-14-2012, 03:25 PM
I [know] my favorite song of their[s] is Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYiahoYfPGk).
My thoughts exactly.

WebDudette
04-14-2012, 06:33 PM
What do you have against them?

Well, most of said people have more or less left the forum... I don't think there's still a large percent who fit this description anymore. I mean, who still actively posts here and doesn't like the Offspring?

I respect that they are very technically talented, but I just have no interest in them, I guess they bore me. Coneman is right though, they are not a mediocre band. I feel the same way about Pink Floyd.

I'm not sure who is still active or who continues to listen to the Offspring, but I was very careful to say that they don't listen to them, instead of don't like them. If I had to guess, off the top of my head, T, coneman, myself, JNem, Jakebert, Mike, Isolated Fury, bighead (?), Sarah (?), killerqueen, xylophonetreez (?), Al. I was very careful to avoid saying majority aswell, and maybe this isn't even a 'large percent' but they are some of the only posters I pay attention to. This is all speculation though, I don't spend anytime in GoD so I could be totally, one-hundred percent off base.

I spelled Bieber wrong in the title, oops.

Llamas
04-14-2012, 06:42 PM
I respect that they are very technically talented, but I just have no interest in them, I guess they bore me. Coneman is right though, they are not a mediocre band. I feel the same way about Pink Floyd.
Ah, yeah, that I totally understand. I feel that way about Led Zeppelin, as well.

I'm not sure who is still active or who continues to listen to the Offspring, but I was very careful to say that they don't listen to them, instead of don't like them. If I had to guess, off the top of my head, T, coneman, myself, JNem, Jakebert, Mike, Isolated Fury, bighead (?), Sarah (?), killerqueen, xylophonetreez (?), Al. I was very careful to avoid saying majority aswell, and maybe this isn't even a 'large percent' but they are some of the only posters I pay attention to. This is all speculation though, I don't spend anytime in GoD so I could be totally, one-hundred percent off base.
I'm pretty sure that Coneman, JNem, and Sarah listen to the Offspring, though, like me, it's not all that often. Like, when a new album comes out, we all buy it and listen to it a bunch, and otherwise we listen to them now and then. I think you're right about T, Mike, IF, bighead, al and treez... Jakebert and killerqueen don't really post here much (I haven't really seen Jakebert in ages). Mike doesn't post much, either. But 5 fairly active to active members is enough to make your point plausible.

I spelled Bieber wrong in the title, oops.
That's bugged me since the thread was first made :P

WebDudette
04-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure about Mike and Jakebert still posting here because I talk to them elsewhere sometimes, so I guess they're just in the back of my mind. Even I listened to RAFRAG a couple times when it came out, though. I actually listened to the self-titled album a couple weeks ago, it's probably the first time I've listened to them since RAFRAG, it held up pretty well, in my opinion.

I got in a drunken argument at work about Freddie Mercury being better at singing than John Bonham could ever hope to be at drumming. Of course that is a ridiculous comparison, but everyone was drunk, it was funny, and fuck people saying any band is better than Queen.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-14-2012, 07:10 PM
A lot of you guys are a lot smarter than me when it comes to Offspring related topics, but I'd say I listen to them more than any band. I listen to them practically daily.

Llamas
04-14-2012, 07:17 PM
A lot of you guys are a lot smarter than me when it comes to Offspring related topics, but I'd say I listen to them more than any band. I listen to them practically daily.

Whoa. For how long have you been doing that? I don't listen to any band or singer almost daily - not even weekly.

WebDudette
04-14-2012, 07:23 PM
I go through phases where I'll listen to a single band most days for like a week, it usually doesn't last long. The bands I have done it with recently are Modest Mouse and Andrew Jackson Jihad.

04-14-2012, 07:26 PM
I listen to punk/metal/ bands and dubstep artists daily. Like today I listened to The Offspring, NOFX, DevilDriver, Insomnium, Frenzal Rhomb, Zomboy, and Rusko so I guess I can say that I listen to my top 3 genres daily

Isolated Fury
04-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Yeah... I haven't had an Offspring song on my computer for over five years, I think. And it's like you said. It's not that I don't like them or think they suck; I've just not listened to them in ages and feel no urge to listen to them. I can definitely say that they molded my musical taste into what it is now (thankfully). Otherwise, I'd still be listening to... metal. *shudders* How the Offspring is related to my taste in music (DIGI)evolving into loving math-rock with my mouth hole, I don't know.

Now let's say an Offspring song comes on the radio (lol who uses the radio?). I wouldn't change the station. I'd leave it on, smile, and probably sing along. But I wouldn't go home and listen to them for the rest of the night.

Isolated Fury
04-14-2012, 07:30 PM
I go through phases where I'll listen to a single band most days for like a week, it usually doesn't last long. The bands I have done it with recently are Modest Mouse and Andrew Jackson Jihad.
AAAAAAAAHHH! I want to orally please you so badly right now...

Llamas
04-14-2012, 07:30 PM

I do it for a week or two at a time, absolutely. I recently did it with Tool, M.I.A., Offspring, AFI, and probably a couple others. It lasts a week or two and then I'm on to something else.

PS: Modest Mouse is pretty great. I saw them at a festival a couple years ago. They're my sister's favorite band - she's got a tattoo across her chest that says "the world is my ashtray" :P

WebDudette
04-14-2012, 07:41 PM
How old is your sister again?

I actually listened to a shit load of AFI two weeks ago. Sing the Sorrow is such a fantastic album.

WebDudette
04-14-2012, 07:43 PM
AAAAAAAAHHH! I want to orally please you so badly right now...

The best thing about them is that I always find new songs to fall in love with. Well, not new, but songs I only kind of listened to, then suddenly they click and I want to listen to them over and over and over. Currently, I'm really into Lives, Other Peoples Lives, and Bukowski.

Isolated Fury
04-14-2012, 07:48 PM
The best thing about them is that I always find new songs to fall in love with. Well, not new, but songs I only kind of listened to, then suddenly they click and I want to listen to them over and over and over. Currently, I'm really into Lives, Other Peoples Lives, and Bukowski.
I should really get off my ass and transfer the music from my slave drive to my new computer. I really... REALLY want to listen to Modest Mouse right now. And for the rest of the night. I hate/love you so much.

The first song I heard of theirs was Trailer Trash during my sophomore year in college. It was all downhill from there.

WebDudette
04-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Trailer Trash is definitely one of my favorite songs. I mostly listen to albums, but there are some rotating songs that I will play two, three, or four times every time I listen to the album they are on.

Llamas
04-15-2012, 03:48 AM
How old is your sister again?

I actually listened to a shit load of AFI two weeks ago. Sing the Sorrow is such a fantastic album.

She turns 20 tomorrow. (Holy shit.)

It may be trite, but my favorite Modest Mouse album is Good News... I own physical copies of that one and The Moon and Antarctica, which was my first album of theirs - the rest I have downloaded. But Tiny Cities Made of Ashes is easily my favorite song, and A Different City is way up there. Bury Me With It is probably my favorite from Good News.

Other than those two albums and We Were Dead..., I haven't *really* listened to any of their albums enough to know songs by name. I don't really like We Were Dead..., though, as compared to the other two.

I should really listen to these guys some more...

Also, Sing the Sorrow is my favorite AFI album, probably partially because it was my first one. Bought it in 2003 after watching Me, Myself, and Irene, hearing the Offspring's version of Totalimmortal, and finding out it was a song by AFI. My local Target didn't have the All Hallows EP, so I bought STS instead - no regrets about it.

BagOfShenanigans
04-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Well, crap. I have this huge-ass playlist on my computer that is 85% Offspring songs. They also take up a decent 30% of my Ipod.

And while we're comparing Justin Bieber to the Beatles; I'm sure he has plenty of rabid fans willing to pull a John Lennon on him.

Llamas
04-15-2012, 05:44 AM
I have this huge-ass playlist on my computer that is 85% Offspring songs.
I hope that doesn't mean that 85% of the music on your computer is Offspring? Because that'd be a depressingly limited music collection.

They also take up a decent 30% of my Ipod.
How big is your ipod? I have an old Microsoft Zune which holds 30 gb, and I have all of the Offspring's LPs on it. No live songs on my mp3 player, and I don't put b-sides on because I like order and structure with my music, and having songs that don't fit right into nice folders annoys the crap out of me. :P

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Whoa. For how long have you been doing that? I don't listen to any band or singer almost daily - not even weekly.
Okay, daily was an exaggeration. It's more like 5 days a week for me on average. I've been doing that for a couple years I guess. I reeeeaaaaallllly love their music and don't ever get tired of it.

That's not to say I listen to a full album every day. Sometimes I'll listen to half of Ignition one morning and the other half the next, for example.

Llamas
04-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Okay, daily was an exaggeration. It's more like 5 days a week for me on average. I've been doing that for a couple years I guess. I reeeeaaaaallllly love their music and don't ever get tired of it.

That's not to say I listen to a full album every day. Sometimes I'll listen to half of Ignition one morning and the other half the next, for example.

That's still insane. I mean insane like, shocking, not like you're insane ;) I can't imagine doing that with any musician's music, maybe with the exception of some band that has like 30 albums and they're all super different and really good in their own ways. Otherwise I just need way more variety than hearing the same 100 songs of a similar genre over and over for two years :-S I mean, I'm sure you listen to other stuff mixed in there, too, but I'd just get so sick of those 100 songs if I listened to them that often. That goes for any 100 songs that are all pretty similar.

Retard
04-15-2012, 11:55 AM
If I buy a new CD that's usually in rotation more than a lot of my older stuff, but yea sometimes I just can't listen to something again because I've listened to it for like the last three days. I recently put AMERICANA on the other day after not listening to it for at least a couple years. I was kinda sad because it did not hold up as well as it used to. I felt myself cringe a few times while listening to it because either the lyrics were kinda lame, or just that I wasn't really into it.
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd is a fucking great album.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-15-2012, 12:26 PM
That's still insane. I mean insane like, shocking, not like you're insane ;) I can't imagine doing that with any musician's music, maybe with the exception of some band that has like 30 albums and they're all super different and really good in their own ways. Otherwise I just need way more variety than hearing the same 100 songs of a similar genre over and over for two years :-S I mean, I'm sure you listen to other stuff mixed in there, too, but I'd just get so sick of those 100 songs if I listened to them that often. That goes for any 100 songs that are all pretty similar.
I listen to a lot of music. Don't worry, I listen to more than just The Offspring. I consider them to be fairly diverse in their sound so I have certain weeks where I feel like their newer stuff and certain weeks where I feel like their older stuff.

I spend a ton of time listening to the Offspring, and listen to them more than any other band, but they probably only make up around 40% of the music I listen to (which is still quite a bit).

Llamas
04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
I listen to a lot of music. Don't worry, I listen to more than just The Offspring.
I said so in my last post - I didn't think you only listened to the Offspring ;)

I consider them to be fairly diverse in their sound so I have certain weeks where I feel like their newer stuff and certain weeks where I feel like their older stuff.
I figured you did, I was only talking about myself and not saying you should feel the same way :P

I spend a ton of time listening to the Offspring, and listen to them more than any other band, but they probably only make up around 40% of the music I listen to (which is still quite a bit).
Yeah, that was what I was pointing at. It seemed obvious to me that you listen to other music than the Offspring, but that the vast majority of what you listen to is them, which is just, as I've said before, quite shocking for me because it's just not for me. Never was trying to say there's anything wrong with it - I really couldn't care less what you listen to :P - it's just very different to me.

It does sound like you have a LOT of time to listen to music, though! You said before that sometimes you "only" listen to half an Offspring album in a day, which means you often listen to a full album, and that only makes up 40% of what you listen to - pretty impressive. I wish I still had time to listen to so much music each day! I usually get an album in on my way too and from work on the bus, and a bit more on the weekends...

coke_a_holic
04-15-2012, 10:24 PM
The Offspring are a great easy way to get into music. They've got good melodies, high energy, and just enough influence of older, maybe cooler bands, that you can spend time looking into those bands. They were my favorite band from 7th grade through 9th grade. In 9th grade, I discovered The Clash, and then I just went on a real musical journey.

I really believe that anyone can get into any type of music if it's legitimately good, if they want to, and if they have the energy to put in the time for it. People often say "oh, that's just not my style of music." I get away with it sometimes, but usually it just requires a little more effort to get past something ugly or jangly or weird. Sometimes I like pushing the boundaries a little too fast and picking something truly bizarre to send to people.

With that being said, everyone now needs to give Mamaleek another shot, or I'll break all your arms and you might they're your new favorite band.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that my favorite Modest Mouse song is Trailer Trash because it's fucking beautiful and fucking heartbreaking and fucking amazing.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-16-2012, 05:25 PM
It does sound like you have a LOT of time to listen to music, though! You said before that sometimes you "only" listen to half an Offspring album in a day, which means you often listen to a full album, and that only makes up 40% of what you listen to - pretty impressive. I wish I still had time to listen to so much music each day! I usually get an album in on my way too and from work on the bus, and a bit more on the weekends...
Yeah I usually have some sort of mp3 player or computer with me. I play music with practically everything I do at home when I'm all alone.

I don't know why I spend so much time listening to the Offspring. I never seem to get tired of their music. It's the only band I've been able to do that with.

I usually fit anywhere from 2-4 albums into my schedule a day. Yesterday I listened to 6 I think. Only one of those was an Offspring album, although one was the Vitamin String Quartet tribute to The Offspring.

WebDudette
04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
I actually liked that Mamaleek song.

llamas, I know you were in band and stuff, so it may not be true for you, but I definitely listened to just a couple bands when I was in like 6th-9th grade. What KickHim is saying sounds pretty close to how I was at that age, and I'm not sure how old he is, but I justk ind of assumed he was in that age group.

I wish pop bands did a better job of constructing albums. I've said it before, but if all of Katy Perry's songs were as good as her albums, I'd listen to the shit out of that.

Someone played Gonna Go Far Kid at my party the other night, I sang all the words while we played beer pong and one other frind and I laughed at how ridiculous the Offspring are. It's so weird to me to run into people who casually listen to the Offspring and all I can think is 'they have nooooo fucking idea'.

Llamas
04-17-2012, 04:52 PM
llamas, I know you were in band and stuff, so it may not be true for you, but I definitely listened to just a couple bands when I was in like 6th-9th grade.
Pfffff, being in band had zero effect on my god-awful taste in music. I didn't start to have any non-shitty taste until I was 13, and it was still pretty shitty... but at least I loved Alanis (and shut up I still think Cher and Eve 6 were pretty good). 9th grade was when I discovered the Offspring... but I never listened to only one or two band. Nor did my sister or brother. So I dunno how common this is...

What KickHim is saying sounds pretty close to how I was at that age, and I'm not sure how old he is, but I justk ind of assumed he was in that age group.
Ooh KickHim might not like this... but KickHim, are you in that age group?

I'd listen to the shit out of that.
I don't think that saying quite works with "listen to" ;) But I agree, and feel the same way about Rihanna's "older" stuff (as in the album with Shut Up and Drive, and Umbrella, and SOS - I'm aware that's two different albums. Both should've been better.)

Retard
04-18-2012, 08:17 PM
There's been a few instances where I've seriously contemplated picking up the newest Beyonce or Rihanna CD. I'll eventually buy one of them probably.

WebDudette
04-23-2012, 04:10 AM
Semi-related: I've never heard anyone say YOLO in a non-mocking way. I have no idea what goes through these people mind that makes them think 'holy shit, this is fucking annoying, it's my duty to make sure the population of people who see this annoying shit needs to increase exponentially'

Llamas
04-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Semi-related: I've never heard anyone say YOLO in a non-mocking way. I have no idea what goes through these people mind that makes them think 'holy shit, this is fucking annoying, it's my duty to make sure the population of people who see this annoying shit needs to increase exponentially'

What's YOLO?

Isolated Fury
04-23-2012, 01:00 PM
What's YOLO?
Long answer: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/yolo

Short answer: retarded; don't waste your time

Llamas
04-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Okay, that's the definition I got when I googled it... I just don't understand pilz's post, then. Like, people post YOLO on Justin Bieber videos as explanation as to why people should listen to them? I somehow majorly missed a connection here.

Isolated Fury
04-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Okay, that's the definition I got when I googled it... I just don't understand pilz's post, then. Like, people post YOLO on Justin Bieber videos as explanation as to why people should listen to them? I somehow majorly missed a connection here.
That's why people constantly complain about them. You've got brain dead people out there that throw YOLO into whatever they're writing simply because they know it's a popular thing to do. They're not thinking about whether or not it makes sense. "man i really liek when ppl hold elevader doors 4 u #warmfuzzyfeelin #YOLO" Yeah, doesn't make sense.

Then there's the other side to it all. The people that make it a point to bitch about other people using YOLO. They get way too bent out of shape over it - like it ruins their entire news feeds or something. Instead of moving on and ignoring it, they throw a bitch-fit which, ultimately, gets the YOLOer's attention and influences the YOLOer to post more YOLO tweets/posts/"insert random social media word for communication here." It's really a vicious cycle, and the only person getting hurt or pissed is the idiot that overreacts to the original YOLOing.

I think that's what you're getting at, PilZ-E.

RageAndLov
04-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Ugh, don't make me sick. Anything after Art of Drowning is horrible.

Little_Miss_1565
04-23-2012, 04:02 PM
In re: YOLO, when most kids use it, it's like "that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

I really liked Sing the Sorrow when it came out, though I'm not sure if it was because I had just left my fiance who was a little crazy and took my not hating AFI as a personal affront against him, or because it's really good. Though I do continue to get "But Home is Nowhere" stuck in my head. But fuck that one song where they suddenly and inexplicably turn into VNV Nation after the first verse.

Isolated Fury
04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Ugh, don't make me sick. Anything after Art of Drowning is horrible.
I've got the nephilim bat on my ribs on the left side. trupunx. And I do agree that pre-Sing the Sorrow AFI was better. However, as my taste in music has changed over the years, I cannot stand listening to their early albums. It literally gives me a headache. I just can't do the punk sound anymore. So really, I only like Art of Drowning and Black Sails in the Sunset.

Llamas
04-23-2012, 04:37 PM
That's why people constantly complain about them. You've got brain dead people out there that throw YOLO into whatever they're writing simply because they know it's a popular thing to do. They're not thinking about whether or not it makes sense. "man i really liek when ppl hold elevader doors 4 u #warmfuzzyfeelin #YOLO" Yeah, doesn't make sense.

Then there's the other side to it all. The people that make it a point to bitch about other people using YOLO. They get way too bent out of shape over it - like it ruins their entire news feeds or something. Instead of moving on and ignoring it, they throw a bitch-fit which, ultimately, gets the YOLOer's attention and influences the YOLOer to post more YOLO tweets/posts/"insert random social media word for communication here." It's really a vicious cycle, and the only person getting hurt or pissed is the idiot that overreacts to the original YOLOing.

I think that's what you're getting at, PilZ-E.

Huh. I'm usually up on internet stuff, and now I suddenly feel like such a loser (or maybe the opposite? hahaha). I'd literally never seen YOLO before Pilz's post. I wonder how I've missed this, but I guess I'm glad I have :P Thanks for the explanation.

I really liked Sing the Sorrow when it came out, though I'm not sure if it was because I had just left my fiance who was a little crazy and took my not hating AFI as a personal affront against him, or because it's really good. Though I do continue to get "But Home is Nowhere" stuck in my head. But fuck that one song where they suddenly and inexplicably turn into VNV Nation after the first verse.

It was my first AFI album, so I might be ridiculously biased toward loving it, as well... but I think it's genuinely a good album. Most of the stuff I loved 8 years ago doesn't have much replay value, but I still really enjoy that album. Which song sounds like VNV Nation, though??

This Celluloid Dream is my favorite song on STS.

Little_Miss_1565
04-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Which song sounds like VNV Nation, though??

"Death of Seasons"

Llamas
04-23-2012, 04:53 PM
"Death of Seasons"

Ha, I can't stand that song (absolute worst tune on STS), but I never would've associated it with VNV Nation. But god that song is bad.

Little_Miss_1565
04-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Ha, I can't stand that song (absolute worst tune on STS), but I never would've associated it with VNV Nation. But god that song is bad.

It's horrible, VNV Nation is horrible, when AFI tries to sound like VNV it's horrible. :)

0r4ng3
04-23-2012, 05:03 PM
I...like both AFI's old and new stuff. Please don't hurt me!

Little_Miss_1565
04-23-2012, 05:08 PM
I...like both AFI's old and new stuff. Please don't hurt me!

I do too. I just don't really want to listen to the old stuff anymore. I remember really liking Crash Love, even though the title and artwork are hopelessly lame, but I don't listen to it at all anymore because the mastering clips so much.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-23-2012, 07:36 PM
I only know a few AFI songs and Come Out And Play is playing on my radio as I speak #YOLO

Am I doing it wrong? :)

WebDudette
04-23-2012, 11:29 PM
In the same way that I wad introduced to Justin Bieber through people non-stop complaining, I was introduced to YOLO by people whining about people who say YOLO. Now I've gone a step further by introducing you to YOLO by complaining about people who complain about people who complain about people who say YOLO. I can understand that you wouldn't have recognized it, I've seen it mostly on Tumblr (which makes sense) and a little on Reddit. I've still never seen someone use it in a sincere way though.

I'm not going to lie, I like Death of Seasons. bum-bum bumbumbum bum-bumbum bumbum OOOOOF LATE, IT'S HHHAAAARDER, JUUUUUST TO. GO. OUT. SIDE. AND LEEEEEEAVE. THIS DEAD SPACE. Then the whole ridiculous electronic bit in the middle.

I really like Ary of Drowning, All Hallows EP, and Black Sails LP. they are arguably better than Sing the Sorrow, but it's still my favorite for various reasons. I don't think I'll ever get tired of Miseria Cantare.

I was listening to some early AFI a few weeks ago, This Secret Ninja is fucking awesome. We used it on our morning announcements in 7th or 8th grade because we were cool as shit. Anyway, I can still dig the earlier stuff and listen to it sometimes, I never make it through a whole album though.

I also have a shit load of b-sides, unreleased stuff, and other miscellaneous tracks. A lot of them are really great.

Decemberunderground was pretty good, but I still don't like Miss Murder. It bugged the shit out of me that people would say 'oh, AFI sucks, except for that Miss Murder song.' FUCK YOU, YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

I have no opinion on Crash Love asides from Medicate really turning me off. I did listen to a little bit of Blaqk Audio a few weeks ago, and I listened to them a lot when Cex Cells came out. I'm still not really sure why.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-24-2012, 02:53 AM

Yessssss. Oh God yes it is.

Anything from Black Sails to STS is awesome, but STS was their peak I think.

"Post-AOD AFI" only sucks if you're hung up about their being a "punk" band. STS was kind of like Americana was for the Offspring. Whether it was their best collection of songs is debatable, but it's their most cohesive album and awesome to listen to from start to finish.

Decemberunderground was pretty good, but I still don't like Miss Murder. It bugged the shit out of me that people would say 'oh, AFI sucks, except for that Miss Murder song.' FUCK YOU, YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

I have no opinion on Crash Love asides from Medicate really turning me off. I did listen to a little bit of Blaqk Audio a few weeks ago, and I listened to them a lot when Cex Cells came out. I'm still not really sure why.

I never had anything in particular against Miss Murder or Medicate, but I thought both of those albums were pretty mediocre and haven't really listened to them much since they came out. I did listen to tracks 3-5 on Crash Love on repeat for a while after it came out, because that was a fun stretch of the album.

The degree to which I do not give a fuck about YOLO or anyone who says it is remarkable.

jacknife737
04-24-2012, 04:20 AM
Id definitely say that early AFI is better;that said STS is pretty good and even Decemberunderground has its moments. Crash love was pretty boring though.

Isolated Fury
04-24-2012, 06:35 AM
See... I can't bring myself to agree with the Sing the Sorrow favoritism. That album seriously broke my heart. AFI was my number one, all-time, super-duper, favorite band ever. I threw out all of my AFI t-shirts (stupid). I put my copy of Sing the Sorrow in the microwave. It was a bad time. I clung to the older material and pretended that nothing existed after Art of Drowning. When Decemberunderground came out, I acted like it was some new band that I'd never heard of. To this day, I've still never listened to any of the songs on it - not out of spite anymore, more of an ignorance. When you all started talking about Crash Love, I thought we were changing topics to another band. But no, apparently they came out with another album.

And I can't fully agree with Treez. I wouldn't say that I'm hung up on them being a "punk" band, because I don't like their punk albums. Like I said before, listening to the three punk albums they did will literally give me a headache today. I don't like how it sounds. At all. So I like Black Sails in the Sunset and Art of Drowning. I might have actually liked Sing the Sorrow if I hadn't thrown a bitch fit ten years ago (wtf, really? ten years?...) and brainwashed myself into loathing what they had become. "omg selloutz" doesn't even begin to describe how it made me feel. It was like my first serious girlfriend (we'll call her Havey Davok) broke up with me, told the whole school about my small wiener, and started handing out fliers for a mass Havey Davok gangbang in the cafeteria after school - BYOL (lube lol), must have a penis bigger than my effeminate ex-boyfriend.

I'd like to say that now that I'm older, I can give it another shot and have an unbiased opinion of it. But I think that's incorrect. I'd end up murdering my family or something from too much repressed emotion spilling out. Hot water burn baby.

Little_Miss_1565
04-24-2012, 08:38 AM
AFI evolved into different shit at the same time my musical tastes were starting to evolve into different shit, and we happened to match up. It's like I couldn't get away from them. :)

"A Single Second" is solid gold.

Llamas
04-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Holy shit, IF, you liked two out of five albums by a band and they were your number one, all-time, super-duper, favorite band ever?? Dang... music must be really disappointing for you ;)

I'm not going to lie, I like Death of Seasons. bum-bum bumbumbum bum-bumbum bumbum OOOOOF LATE, IT'S HHHAAAARDER, JUUUUUST TO. GO. OUT. SIDE. AND LEEEEEEAVE. THIS DEAD SPACE. Then the whole ridiculous electronic bit in the middle.
You basically just explained why I can't stand that song. lol.

Heh, I really like Miss Murder - it's one of the only songs on Decemberunderground I can tolerate. However, it's not nearly as good as a great chunk of their songs, and those people are morons (unless Decemberunderground is the only album they've heard).

I did listen to a little bit of Blaqk Audio a few weeks ago, and I listened to them a lot when Cex Cells came out. I'm still not really sure why.
I can't listen to that whole album all the way through, but there are some seriously good songs on it (like Stiff Kittens and Bitt\esn
ter for Sweet).

"Post-AOD AFI" only sucks if you're hung up about their being a "punk" band. STS was kind of like Americana was for the Offspring. Whether it was their best collection of songs is debatable, but it's their most cohesive album and awesome to listen to from start to finish.
I'd say STS is more like Smash was for the Offspring. STS is definitely their most cohesive album, though. I have to admit, also, that for me it's easier to get into that album because the titles actually easily match the songs. I love Black Sails, but to this day, I can't remember song titles. I mean, while writing this, I was like, "What's my favorite song on the album? I know it's a slower one... it's track 6, I think..." Took me a few minutes to remember that it's called Clove Smoke Catharsis, and the name of it doesn't help me think of how it goes. But song titles on STS are actually part of the song and easy to remember, and when I think of the name, I can remember how the song goes. That's important to me when getting into an album.

In other news, I like Crashlove, despite its dumb name. Decemberunderground is the only AFI album that I've never had on my mp3 player.

Id definitely say that early AFI is better;that said STS is pretty good and even Decemberunderground has its moments. Crash love was pretty boring though.
Depends on what you mean by "early". Personally, I'd call Answer That, Very Proud of Ya, and Shut Your Mouth to be "early"; Black Sails, Art of Drowning, All Hallow's, and STS (though STS is a buffer between this group and the "new" stuff - though it was much more mainstream than its predecessors, it sounds a lot more like them than it does DU or Crashlove) to be "middle", and Decemberunderground and Crashlove to be "new". If you mean "early" as in "early", then I have to disagree... I can hardly listen to any of those first three albums. A song here and there is cool, but god, those albums sounded the same the entire way through. If by "early" you meant the middle group, then I would definitely agree. AFI in their golden days... while I enjoy Crashlove, nothing they've done since STS (or surely will ever do again) could possibly get me as excited as Black Sails to STS.

Isolated Fury
04-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Holy shit, IF, you liked two out of five albums by a band and they were your number one, all-time, super-duper, favorite band ever?? Dang... music must be really disappointing for you ;)
I knew someone would say that. Big surprise that it's you! :rolleyes:

I actually loved the old punk stuff back in the day. LOVED it. I'm saying that I can't stand it now. It makes me feel like an old fuck to say this, but it just sounds like confusing noise to me anymore. Hahaha. But, say, ten years ago, I couldn't get enough of it. I genuinely wanted to make sweet, sweet love to all of their albums. Until Sing the Sorrow...

RageAndLov
04-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Depends on what you mean by "early". Personally, I'd call Answer That, Very Proud of Ya, and Shut Your Mouth to be "early"; Black Sails, Art of Drowning, All Hallow's, and STS (though STS is a buffer between this group and the "new" stuff - though it was much more mainstream than its predecessors, it sounds a lot more like them than it does DU or Crashlove) to be "middle", and Decemberunderground and Crashlove to be "new". If you mean "early" as in "early", then I have to disagree... I can hardly listen to any of those first three albums. A song here and there is cool, but god, those albums sounded the same the entire way through. If by "early" you meant the middle group, then I would definitely agree. AFI in their golden days... while I enjoy Crashlove, nothing they've done since STS (or surely will ever do again) could possibly get me as excited as Black Sails to STS.

While Black Sails and Art of Drowning are the best albums they made, I really like Very Proud of Ya. He Who Laughs Last is a great opening for an album. I can see how people find the album a bit long. 20 songs is a bit much to swallow and differentiate during the first listen.