PDA

View Full Version : Websites to kill time

Isolated Fury
04-18-2012, 02:05 PM
During a workday with low customer traffic, I spend most of my day at my desk. I try to stay busy, but there's only so much before there's nothing left to do. I'm about to admit something pretty depressing, so hold tight. On average, I would go so far as to say I hit the refresh button on this site about 150 times. I wish I was exaggerating. I check my Facebook news feed about the same amount. I even created a Twitter account to give myself something new to do. I have always fucking hated the shit out of Twitter, and here I am... following (lol) the herd.

My point being, I have run out of things to do. Or really, I've gotten really efficient at checking all three of these sites simultaneously. I can only play so many more games of Yahoo Pool before someone walks in on me while I'm getting ready to break. That would be bad. I read about 5 online articles a day. That's not quite to the point of breaking the rules since the other salesmen read articles in their downtime, too. But I need something else to do.

What are some good websites I can waste some time on that won't get me in trouble? As long as it's not offensive or a game, I'm open to suggestions.

btw, I won't be surprised if there's a few tubgirl, Mr. Hands, goatse, or other lovely links here. Please keep it clean.

holland25
04-18-2012, 02:16 PM
9gag and the whole Icanhascheezburger network.

That's what's keeping me from being bored.

Isolated Fury
04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
9gag and the whole Icanhascheezburger network.

That's what's keeping me from being bored.
I should clarify. While I love memes and sites that showcase them, I'm looking for more constructive(?) things. I guess you could say something a little more intelligent so that if a coworker walks in while I'm browsing, I won't feel embarrassed or afraid for my job. Haha. I usually save the lolcats for when I get home.

Llamas
04-18-2012, 03:22 PM
dailyoftheday.com

If anyone is familiar with the blog, The Daily What, the guy who founded and wrote that blog got a new job writing for Gawker. The replacement at TDW kinda sucks, and all the regular readers and commenters left. Two of them started their own version of TDW, and it's very good. Plus the shift weeded out dickhead trollish commenters, so the group of people there is really solid.

If you're not familiar with TDW, it (was) a really great blog where the writer would search the internet all day and post anything that was interesting - he posted a lot of very interesting articles (always including personal commentary) regarding Kony, and now Trayvon Martin... international news, as well... but also plenty of cat videos, geek/technology news, and otherwise.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-18-2012, 04:35 PM
I hear offspring.com/forums is pretty good.

But also, you can't go wrong with Sporcle. They have quizzes on EVERYTHING and it's actually a decent way to sharpen your knowledge on random trivia.

Finally, Cyrkam Airtos (games.sticky.tv/cyrkam_airtos) is the most addictive online game ever, although you need to be using a mouse to play properly and you also need to practice it for a while before you can do very well.

Llamas
04-18-2012, 05:25 PM
I hear offspring.com/forums is pretty good.

Whoa, when did the /forums link start working again? When they first changed it over to /community, I had to change the link in my favorites, because /forums didn't work anymore.

Harleyquiiinn
04-19-2012, 02:06 AM
http://academicearth.org/

This is a really cool website but I guess it's not fit for work since you need sound.

Also, don't be ashamed. On certain days, I do exactly the same. And it's not easy because my computer faces the door... So yeah... good thread, I'm interested.

WebDudette
04-19-2012, 02:18 AM
reddit.com, just make sure to find subreddits specific to your taste and stay out of the meme shit. Seriously, if you subscribe/unsubscribe the right subreddits, you can have an amazing and informational time. Any interest you can imagine, there is a reddit for it, some smaller than others though.

I've spent a lot of time watching pretty amazing and inspiring TED Talks, not sure if you can watch videos though.

Oh, BoingBoing as well. It's basically just a massive collection of interesting things in blog format.

Gregmau5
04-19-2012, 03:32 AM
I'd say try out Cyanide and Happiness, its funny as hell, and there are thousands of comics.

Static_Martyr
04-19-2012, 08:56 AM
TVtropes.org. (http://www.tvtropes.org) TVtropes, TVtropes, TVtropes. I have killed so many hours here, it's not even funny. Thankfully, I've also discovered many new movies, shows, books, etc. because of wikiwalking back and forth across tens of pages at a time.

Jojan
04-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Wikipedia always have something interesting.

My Name Was Taken
04-20-2012, 06:17 AM
questionablecontent.net (http://questionablecontent.net)
http://bored.com

Gregmau5
04-23-2012, 01:20 AM
Wikipedia always have something interesting.

It's so true.

garymeyer
04-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Know when to turn the computer off and take a walk.

A scary thought to some, but yes, power down your computer and gadgets and go for a walk. If you feel you have lost your concentration and productivity, it may be due to the stress that you give yourself by staring at a monitor for too long.