PDA

View Full Version : Questions with Noodles

BagOfShenanigans
04-20-2012, 12:39 PM
It says 'Part 1', so I'd assume they're going to post more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKRAIFL_O60

Little_Miss_1565
04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I was just coming here to post about this! :D This is awesome.

dff_punk
04-20-2012, 12:42 PM
"Some of the stuff reminds me of the stuff we did 20 years ago."

That's kinda cool. It might be an overstatement, but who knows. I'm also pumped for the "surprise" he mentioned. imho it might be a song in a totally different style they've never done before.

cool 2 hate 681
04-20-2012, 12:45 PM
cool video:) im glad he answered the question as to why there are 2 drummers on the album

TheOldMark
04-20-2012, 12:46 PM
i am pleased with this venue and his answers.

randman21
04-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Nice! I would have never guessed the answer about the drumming situation. I'm officially satisfied with it, finally.

My face at 0:50 (http://youtu.be/BKRAIFL_O60?t=50s): :D

Also, I feel like someone keeps turning on their Super Nintendo to play Super Mario Brothers, but changes their mind immediately. That sound evokes a Pavlovian response in me unlike almost anything else.

Jojan
04-20-2012, 01:26 PM
My face at 0:50 (http://youtu.be/BKRAIFL_O60?t=50s): :D

My face at 1:05 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKRAIFL_O60&t=1m5s):

http://www.gamersenterprise.com/images/Super-Mario-World.jpg

Tijs
04-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Noodles is just earning coins for every awesome thing he says. Cool interview btw :)

DMelges
04-20-2012, 01:43 PM
It's so awesome for them to talk directly to us like this, answering questions and such. Just wish they'd do it more often.

The drummer situation is kinda weird for me.... if Pete is an official band member, he should be the one recording. But hey if they're cool with it and not having any fights, I'm happy. Josh has the AMAZING work in the past and I hope Pete gets his moment to shine too.

I really really hope Noodles answers us on if they're making a new DVD, or at least some cool videos of them recording. Remember that Days Go By video teaser we had? I really want to see more of that.

Dexter_italy
04-20-2012, 02:08 PM
this is pretty cool! should we start a thread for questions to noodles? :D or post them here?

_Way_Down_the_Line_
04-20-2012, 03:00 PM
He said the album name will probably come from one of the song titles.

The future is now? Days go by? Cruising California? O.C guns????

:D:D:D

jacknife737
04-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Cheers to Noodles for doing this: loved the description of the new record.... i'm dying to know what the "surprise" is.

Degstur Lolland
04-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Surprise song? So far, it seems to be Secrets From Underground or hero movie song, but we will see...I'm very curious what it is!

Drummers situation is not as simplistic I guess. I'd think that Dexter wants to have them for specific songs. The batch of songs for Pete must have been ready for him. :D It looks like Josh did more songs. Either way, I'm very curious and it's going to be interesting. Can't go wrong.

Glad to hear that they are getting some very old influences.

As for the old stuff, that's always tricky, we will see...

Little_Miss_1565
04-20-2012, 03:53 PM
The drummer situation is kinda weird for me.... if Pete is an official band member, he should be the one recording. But hey if they're cool with it and not having any fights, I'm happy. Josh has the AMAZING work in the past and I hope Pete gets his moment to shine too.

But Pete doesn't live in socal. If he wanted to, I'm sure he would. I mean, should they put Pete up somewhere far from home for him, essentially putting his life on hold, while they work on the album? It sounds to me like they made the best of it and got to work with an old friend in the process.

StayInTheHouseCarl
04-20-2012, 04:14 PM
But Pete doesn't live in socal. If he wanted to, I'm sure he would. I mean, should they put Pete up somewhere far from home for him, essentially putting his life on hold, while they work on the album? It sounds to me like they made the best of it and got to work with an old friend in the process.

Nope. Too logical an answer. haha

Bands can exist perfectly fine living far away from each other. If my memory serves me right, all 4 members of Descendents live in completely different states, for example.

DMelges
04-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Yeah I guess you're right, it's just that, if I were the drummer of the band, I don't know if I would feel okay with someone else recording for me in my band. But hey if they're ok with it that's fine with me.

cool 2 hate 681
04-20-2012, 04:27 PM
i hope they tell us which are pete songs and which are josh songs

randman21
04-20-2012, 04:31 PM
^Wouldn't it be cool if their styles are so different that we will be able to tell which are which? I think it will be next to impossible--especially if it's very produced--but it's fun to think about.

dff_punk
04-20-2012, 04:32 PM
It might be written in the booklet, it happens with some bands when there are multiple instrumentalists. Still, in The Offspring past booklets there was no concrete song information about backing vocals by Noodles, Higgins etc.

But what I'm much more curious about is the how the new songs will sound. That's the most important thing, huh?

cool 2 hate 681
04-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Nope. Too logical an answer. haha

Bands can exist perfectly fine living far away from each other. If my memory serves me right, all 4 members of Descendents live in completely different states, for example.

but the descendents are a very inactive band

But what I'm much more curious about is the how the new songs will sound. That's the most important thing, huh?

yes it is :)

Little_Miss_1565
04-20-2012, 04:48 PM

All 3 of the Alkaline Trio live in different states.

Outerspaceman21
04-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Sweet! Totally stoked

Jojan
04-20-2012, 05:29 PM
this is pretty cool! should we start a thread for questions to noodles? :D or post them here?

I remember the olden days when there was forum for that.

cool 2 hate 681
04-20-2012, 05:34 PM

there is a old thread he has answered questions in before
http://www.offspring.com/community/showthread.php?t=37694

Degstur Lolland
04-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Also, I'm going to say it openly and without a shame, Josh Freese is the best motherfucker on drums around and you'd be fuckin' insane not using him especially when he is your friend and even Bob Rock likes to work with him.

On the other hand, Pete is very similar to Ron I think and also he did different Gone Away ending so he is fuckin' terrific, creative and professional too. I think he is not really the same kind of drummer as Ron, more professional rather than someone who grew up with them with a unique style.

But, the success is something where Josh dominates so...

I hope that Josh is going to shine with some scary good or tasty drums because you don't use such a drummer for anything. On the other hand there is a place for Pete on the rocking record too.

It's going to be interesting what will happen on the album #10, if Pete blends in completely and if Bob Rock stays. I think Bob will stay with them for more than 2 albums. So Josh will do some songs too...he is a big part of the last 2 albums so we are used to it...but Pete is too good to ignore and good enough to do it all when Josh is not available.

We will see what happens on this album, maybe Pete will fit better. Josh needs a lot of freedom for his creativity and you won't get a lot of it in The Offspring.

I'm sure that we will know who drums on any song. We should figure it out by ear and they should credit them.

cool 2 hate 681
04-20-2012, 06:43 PM
I think Bob will stay with them for more than 2 albums.

i think so too:(

GamerKT
04-20-2012, 07:50 PM
i think so too:(

Why sad face?

DMelges
04-20-2012, 07:57 PM
I think Bob's doing a great job, all i want are louder drums. Literally, turn up the volume.

weezly
04-20-2012, 08:14 PM
this questions for noodles, if mike took 4 minutes to wash a car and bill took 3 minutes, how many minutes would it take for both of them to wash the car together?
but seriously, love your work niz!!!

mrconeman
04-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Nice to see the band finally addressing the multiple drummer issue for the first time since Ron left.

Looking forward to more of these.

Also: guys, try not to get too excited about Noodles comment about stuff on this album sounding like stuff they did 20 years ago. Every single time a veteran band releases a new album, that is exactly what they say. They are just really excited about having been in the studio doing what they love, I'll bet they felt the same about Splinter and RAFRAG while Noodles is now saying this is their most rocking stuff for years. They'll say the same thing next album, too.

Degstur Lolland
04-20-2012, 08:28 PM
It's tricky with producers. People didn't really like Bendan O'Brien too, but he did such a great album with Incubus (A Crow Left of the murder...), but I don't know if CO1 or Splinter are better than RFRG. Hammerhead is such a terrific work, however other songs don't really match its quality. It's a diverse album so...

You gotta be lucky and a band at the right point in career and in a good shape. It doesn't always work. Let's see what they'll come up with 2nd time...but they are definitely capable of doing something impressive.

It's usually only once in a career when everything works 100%. AFI's Sing the Sorrow for example or Incubus' album above. You could say that Offspring did it 2 times with Smash and Americana.

So let's hope its mostly great with several impressive songs, but it's not likely it's gonna be top level all the way.

cool 2 hate 681
04-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Why sad face?

because i would rather see the offspring work with a different producer if they do another album after this

Degstur Lolland
04-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Why? Do you have any reasons? What would you want done differently?

GamerKT
04-20-2012, 11:25 PM
because i would rather see the offspring work with a different producer if they do another album after this

Why is that?

cool 2 hate 681
04-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Why? Do you have any reasons? What would you want done differently?

i don't really have a reason im just not a fan of bob rock's work the only album he produced that i liked was rafrag

momo91
04-21-2012, 05:14 AM
Cool!!!
I hope the next time he'll give us the title and the release date!

Degstur Lolland
04-21-2012, 05:27 AM
i don't really have a reason im just not a fan of bob rock's work the only album he produced that i liked was rafrag
So you liked rafrag and you want to change him? :D Give him at least the 2nd chance and then fire him. :p

Did you listen to Lostprophets' Liberation Transmission? I think he produced it. Also, the new Bush's album. I can't think of anything else besides Metallica and Bon Jovi. :D

Llamas
04-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Also, the new Bush's album.

RFRG and the new Bush album both have pretty bad production, sadly. It's strange because he's so famous for producing Metallica for so long... one would expect excellent production.

samseby
04-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Well, thanks for taking the time to answer those questions :)

Cool!!!
I hope the next time he'll give us the title and the release date!

Now, that'd be great ;)

mrconeman
04-21-2012, 07:17 AM
RFRG and the new Bush album both have pretty bad production, sadly. It's strange because he's so famous for producing Metallica for so long... one would expect excellent production.

Not if you've actually listened to recent Metallica, because their albums with Bob have absolutely woeful production.

I mean, nothing more needs said about the sound of the drum kit on St Anger.

Bob Ezrin, and/or Kevin Shirley should produce everything for everyone, oh and Rick Rubin.

RonWelty
04-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Bob Ezrin, and/or Kevin Shirley should produce everything for everyone, oh and Rick Rubin.

I don't mind Dave Jerden.

Leandro
04-21-2012, 08:54 AM

Could be Butch Vig too.

ThunderPX
04-21-2012, 09:25 AM

Rick Rubin needs to fuck off and retire already.

Ristifer
04-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Not if you've actually listened to recent Metallica, because their albums with Bob have absolutely woeful production.

I mean, nothing more needs said about the sound of the drum kit on St Anger.

No.

Metallica wanted St. Anger to sound the way it did. Bob Rock's best work for Metallica was way before St. Anger. The Black Album, Load, Reload, and Garage Inc. are all wonderfully done. Not to mention Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood.

Rick Rubin is not that good. Kevin Shirley is okay, but even with Iron Maiden, he has a hard time producing three guitarists properly.

I liked RAFRAG's sound, but it missed Offspring's classic punch. The guitars, along with the drums, sounded fairly muddy. Not that that is terrible, but I want them to come through a little bit more and have punch to them.

Dexter_italy
04-21-2012, 11:44 AM
I really like the production of RAFRAG, not for all the songs but it's pretty good for me. Good or bad I think the band takes part during that process and can agree or not about it.

mrconeman
04-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Could be Butch Vig too.
I guess.

I don't see why?

No.

Metallica wanted St. Anger to sound the way it did.
And Bob Rock made it sound the way it did, and you're only as good as your latest work. The production on that album is fucking terrible, regardless of weather Metallica wanted it to sound like Lars was beating Trash Cans, and the guitars were being recorded at a construction site.

Bob Rock's best work for Metallica was way before St. Anger. The Black Album, Load, Reload, and Garage Inc. are all wonderfully done. Not to mention Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood.
The production on the Black album I will give you, and there was some nice tones on Load/Reload, but nah, not the right man for the Offspring at all, RAFRAG's production wasn't good enough. Also Motley Crue are just about the worst band in the world. :D

Rick Rubin is not that good.
Stop being ridiculous. His hip-hop productions are outstanding, and I could name many, but his work with Tom Petty stands out as still sounding amazing by today's standard.

Kevin Shirley is okay, but even with Iron Maiden, he has a hard time producing three guitarists properly.
Anyone would have a hard time producing three huge guitar sounds like that, however, listen to the Brave New World album, and name another producer that could do it better. That is literally the best production I have ever heard on an album.

I liked RAFRAG's sound, but it missed Offspring's classic punch. The guitars, along with the drums, sounded fairly muddy.
Pretty much everything sound wise about that album was wrong, now, it's not bad production in the sense that it wasn't produced well. Bob Rock obviously knows how to produce albums, really, really well, but it was definitely the wrong style for this band.

Krojd
04-21-2012, 12:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah3jw6bkbvI

mrconeman
04-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I heard about that whole Slipknot thing, but to be fair, if I was hired to produce Slipknot...well I'm actually amazed he showed up for as long as 45 minutes a week.

Llamas
04-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Kevin Shirley Rick Rubin.

Butch Vig

Throw in Steve Albini, and you've got, in my opinion, the four people who should produce pretty much every album. There's enough diversity among those guys to cover a lot of different styles and sounds, and each of them are just pros.

Jerden was the best producer the Offspring have ever had. He's not amazing, but he did his job very well for the Offspring.

Outerspaceman21
04-21-2012, 02:02 PM
As far as Punk Producers go, I think Bill Stevenson is pretty boss.

jacknife737
04-21-2012, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the band work with Bill Stevenson: though as far as major lable producers, Rick Rubin would be cool: i remember reading that he actually gave a bit of input on RAFRAG, and i'd love to know which songs he helped with.

Edit:

I remembered correctly:

singer Dexter Holland told Billboard in January that he also received guidance from Rick Rubin throughout the recording process, describing the legendary producer as an ?invaluable resource.?

http://www.billboard.com/news/the-offspring-offer-free-single-new-album-1003798763.story#/news/the-offspring-offer-free-single-new-album-1003798763.story

Little_Miss_1565
04-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Bill Stevenson is great, but are the Offspring really making "punk" records?

Bob Rock's recent productions (like Bush) make me a little nervous for this one...when my band was recording, we learned that autotuning or even just manual tuning on vocals is way more apparent on female vocals than male vocals. Gavin's vocals on the Bush album (or at least what I've heard played on KROQ) have such obvious and prominent tuning on them that I've had trouble figuring out who was responsible for such a terrible song until it was back-announced. My understanding is that you have to try to make tuning that obvious on male vocals. So I guess we'll see what happens here. The Offspring seem to be really happy with the way the album has turned out, so that's what's important.

Degstur Lolland
04-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Perhaps they actually take it as an art when vocals smell with a certain aura. :D If they don't want to sound like a random dude...they gotta do something, tune it and then also cover it with something...

I think The Afterlife is the song where it's the most visible. The other songs are not as heavy on it I guess. But, I'm at a point where I can take anything as an art. :D Well, full-blown autotune is fuckin' annoying, but minor things are ok...

Dexter keeps his voice in a good shape so maybe he doesn't need too much help.

And I really think they can do it better 2nd time.

Llamas
04-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Bill Stevenson is great, but are the Offspring really making "punk" records?

Yeah, I don't think Stevenson's the right man for the job - maybe if the Offspring was still writing Ignition-like songs.

tuning on vocals is way more apparent on female vocals than male vocals.
Gawd, I thought I was just imagining this! I'm so glad to see someone else agree here - I mean, it totally depends on the person and the particular timbre of their voice, but generally speaking, it's SO much easier to "spot" adjusted tuning on female voices...

Gavin's vocals on the Bush album (or at least what I've heard played on KROQ) have such obvious and prominent tuning on them that I've had trouble figuring out who was responsible for such a terrible song until it was back-announced. My understanding is that you have to try to make tuning that obvious on male vocals. So I guess we'll see what happens here. The Offspring seem to be really happy with the way the album has turned out, so that's what's important.

What's interesting is that Gavin's always needed tuning adjustment - I've seen him live, and while he puts on a great show, finding pitches is not an easy task for him. When I went back and listened to old Bush albums, I was able to recognize it in some parts, but it's not glaringly obvious that there's been adjustment.

Then I heard the new album, and it's honestly painful to listen to, due in part to how obnoxiously tuned his voice is. Male vs. female vocal tuning aside, this is the only Bush album in which the tuning is SO FUCKING OBVIOUS. I actually hadn't thought about who was responsible for that/who's to blame...

Degstur Lolland
04-21-2012, 03:03 PM
I think the problem with RFRG was that they united the diverse record in the wrong way. It seems like they could do every single song mindblowingly well, HH for example, and they should probably leave it at that point or find other ways to unite it...

Perhaps Kristy could have been more lush, but I still respect it; and Trust in You drums not as burried, but then it wouldn't be a fluid record. You gotta find the equilibrium and that's not easy. You gotta keep them meditated. :D

Zee
04-21-2012, 03:33 PM
A song that Bob pruduced that has clear sounding intstuments; you can hear every little piece of palm muting, excellent cymbals sounds, hi-hat sound. Very, very good drum sound overall. Okay, a bit cliche pop-punk sound, but whatever, still excellent; Simple Plan - Shut Up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpds3V90VbM&ob=av2e

A song that has a bomb shelter feeling to it... weird bass frequecy that controls too much, lack of punch missing as on the typical Offspring guitar sound. Muddy production that just doesn't kick you right in the face; The Offspring - Takes Me Nowhere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkfPT_MAj30

Unofurtanely. Please, Mr. Rock, do (hopefully you did) something different to this one!

I've been trying to comprehend how master of a guy Dave Jerden was. Holy shit he did awesome work. Of course the band was younger and all, technology might have changed in a bad way (too much of it these days) but Americana sound world is just perfect. Dexter's vocals in there makes me to have a one-man-mosh-pit at my home every time I listen to the record. So natural, super energetic. The guitars - that's where I fell in love. The drums... oh did I just get an eargasm? So crystal clear, the contrast is huge to RFRG, just take a listen. Have You Ever drums and Takes Me Nowhere drums - which one has more puch to it? Ixnay was a lot different, but really, really good too. A funny echo to it but legendary guitars. Not as good drums but good. Dex's vocals - more energy than a nuclear power station. And most important, natural. That's the word a day now that there's too much of technology available.

RonWelty
04-21-2012, 03:40 PM
I've been trying to comprehend how master of a guy Dave Jerden was. Holy shit he did awesome work. Of course the band was younger and all, technology might have changed in a bad way (too much of it these days) but Americana sound world is just perfect. Dexter's vocals in there makes me to have a one-man-mosh-pit at my home every time I listen to the record. So natural, super energetic. The guitars - that's where I fell in love. The drums... oh did I just get an eargasm? So crystal clear, the contrast is huge to RFRG, just take a listen. Have You Ever drums and Takes Me Nowhere drums - which one has more puch to it? Ixnay was a lot different, but really, really good too. A funny echo to it but legendary guitars. Not as good drums but good. Dex's vocals - more energy than a nuclear power station. And most important, natural. That's the word a day now that there's too much of technology available.
His work in Ixnay is also amazing.

Defender
04-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ristifer

Metallica wanted St. Anger to sound the way it did.

The production on that album is fucking terrible, regardless of weather Metallica wanted it to sound like Lars was beating Trash Cans, and the guitars were being recorded at a construction site.

I am with MrConeman. St.Anger is the worst Metallica's album. The production is responsible for this.

Degstur Lolland
04-21-2012, 04:32 PM
I criticize RFRG, but I don't really like Zee's reply either. :D They could go natural again, but they already did it so...let's meditate. :D :D :D

Also, in 10 years, there'll be 10 times as much technology and suddenly all of us will love RFRG. :d

cool 2 hate 681
04-21-2012, 05:32 PM
as far as major lable producers, Rick Rubin would be cool

kept in mind there is a chance the next album might not be on a major label like columbia

Ristifer
04-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I guess.

I don't see why?

And Bob Rock made it sound the way it did, and you're only as good as your latest work. The production on that album is fucking terrible, regardless of weather Metallica wanted it to sound like Lars was beating Trash Cans, and the guitars were being recorded at a construction site.

The production on the Black album I will give you, and there was some nice tones on Load/Reload, but nah, not the right man for the Offspring at all, RAFRAG's production wasn't good enough. Also Motley Crue are just about the worst band in the world. :D

Stop being ridiculous. His hip-hop productions are outstanding, and I could name many, but his work with Tom Petty stands out as still sounding amazing by today's standard.

Anyone would have a hard time producing three huge guitar sounds like that, however, listen to the Brave New World album, and name another producer that could do it better. That is literally the best production I have ever heard on an album.

Pretty much everything sound wise about that album was wrong, now, it's not bad production in the sense that it wasn't produced well. Bob Rock obviously knows how to produce albums, really, really well, but it was definitely the wrong style for this band.
Dude, I don't care if you hate Motley Crue or don't like Load or Reload by Metallica. You're not even talking about production at that point. This is about how the album sounds, not how the album was written by the band.

Motley Crue may be the worst band ever for you, but Dr. Feelgood has some immense sound to it. St. Anger, even if it sounded absolutely perfect, would have still been one of the worst albums ever because the songwriting was absolutely atrocious. At least for RAFRAG, The Offspring still wrote some damn good songs. They just sound a bit muddy.

And I've heard Rick Rubin's production on some hip-hop albums and they're not amazing. They're good, but I've heard much better.

Brave New World is the best sounding album you've ever heard? I don't even know why I'm trying to prove a point then, because you need to listen to more albums if that's the case. I like the way BNW sounds, but even Iron Maiden has had better sounding albums sonically than BNW, let alone the countless other bands that have had better sounding albums. I think you need to stop being ridiculous. Besides, if we're going to talk about Kevin Shirley, then look no further than Dance of Death. The album that follows BNW, and it's not even close to being as good in sound as BNW. Hell, even most of Iron Maiden's 80s albums sound better than BNW (Somewhere in Time being a perfect example).

Trust me, Bob Rock's "style" isn't wrong for the band. It was their first time working together on an album. I'm curious to see what they've achieved this time, since they've been working with him for a bit longer and it's their second effort with him. If it doesn't sound leaps and bounds ahead of RAFRAG, I'll be very surprised.

BagOfShenanigans
04-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Dexter keeps his voice in a good shape...

Doesn't he warm up by singing Barry Manilow?

DMelges
04-21-2012, 06:50 PM
I think bad production in a professional studio is just unforgivable, especially at this stage of the competition...

Foo Fighters recorded there last album 100% analogue, old school with tapes, no computers. And in a garage. And that album sounds absolutely amazing.

Would be interesting to see The Offspring try this... but if they take 4 years to release a new album (not saying they take so long soley because of the studio production), they might take even longer if they were to try this.

mrconeman
04-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Dude, I don't care if you hate Motley Crue or don't like Load or Reload by Metallica. You're not even talking about production at that point. This is about how the album sounds, not how the album was written by the band.

I'd like for you to go ahead and mention where I didn't like Load/Reload, that'd be cool if you could point that out. Em, yeah I didn't say that. I don't hate those albums, I'm fairly indifferent to it, as I am to pretty much everything by Metallica, but again I wasn't talking about their song writing on the albums, I'm talking about the production where in there are highlights on those albums, but that they aren't anything special overall.

Motley Crue may be the worst band ever for you, but Dr. Feelgood has some immense sound to it.
I thought you'd pick up on the immense obviousness of the fact that I haven't listened to that album to talk about it, because Motley Crue are comedic.

St. Anger, even if it sounded absolutely perfect, would have still been one of the worst albums ever because the songwriting was absolutely atrocious. At least for RAFRAG, The Offspring still wrote some damn good songs. They just sound a bit muddy.
What point are you trying to make here, exactly? The writing on RAFRAG is the best thing The Offspring have done in years, and the writing on St. Anger is the worst thing Metallica have ever done (well Loutallica is worse) when did I dispute either point? The production on St Anger is still fucking awful, and the production on RAFRAG ain't anything terrible, it just would have been better with a more suitable producer. And yes Dave Jerden should come back, Americana is the best sounding album Offspring ever made.

And I've heard Rick Rubin's production on some hip-hop albums and they're not amazing. They're good, but I've heard much better.
There's no point arguing opinions on this one then. He is pretty much regarded as one of the best hip hop producers of all time though, so you're on your own there

Brave New World is the best sounding album you've ever heard? I don't even know why I'm trying to prove a point then, because you need to listen to more albums if that's the case.
lol aw you're trying to patronise me, cute.

I like the way BNW sounds, but even Iron Maiden has had better sounding albums sonically than BNW, let alone the countless other bands that have had better sounding albums. I think you need to stop being ridiculous.
The clarity on Brave New World is wonderful for that style of album, perhaps I should have said the best production on that style of album, I know countless bands with great sounding albums also, I just think Shirley absolutely nailed it on that album, and truly gave Iron Maiden their sound.

Besides, if we're going to talk about Kevin Shirley, then look no further than Dance of Death. The album that follows BNW, and it's not even close to being as good in sound as BNW. Hell, even most of Iron Maiden's 80s albums sound better than BNW (Somewhere in Time being a perfect example).
Are you listening to remasters? Because Iron Maiden's 80's and especially 90's albums absolutely do NOT have great production, Somewhere in Time and Powerslave being notable exceptions, but they have had some terrible terrible sounding albums (with great song writing)

Trust me, Bob Rock's "style" isn't wrong for the band. It was their first time working together on an album. I'm curious to see what they've achieved this time, since they've been working with him for a bit longer and it's their second effort with him. If it doesn't sound leaps and bounds ahead of RAFRAG, I'll be very surprised.
Hey, I'm not saying I won't give him another chance, but from his previous work and from RAFRAG he just doesn't seem capable of capturing what The Offspring's sound should be. In my opinion of course.

samseby
04-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Just when I thought this thread was called 'Questions with Noodles' :p

Hope we don't have to wait that long for a 'Part II' ;)

mrXniick
04-22-2012, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JyoYTPchz8

I don't mind the sound in this clip at all. Hopefully production on the album is similar.

Dexter_italy
04-22-2012, 02:22 PM
I think that clip had no production on it, or at least not a complete one since vocals had yet to be recorded

randman21
04-22-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't think that's necessarily true. I would imagine they "conveniently" cut the video there because that's when the vocals started. But yeah, I guess that would have been the demo, so not much production on that one. And I agree with mrXniick. If it sounded like that on the album, I'd be happy.

Degstur Lolland
04-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Still wonder what the surprise is, if not a hero song, then Pass Me By or Dirty Magic.

Zee
04-22-2012, 09:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JyoYTPchz8

I don't mind the sound in this clip at all. Hopefully production on the album is similar.

I think that clip had no production on it, or at least not a complete one since vocals had yet to be recorded

I don't think that's necessarily true. I would imagine they "conveniently" cut the video there because that's when the vocals started. But yeah, I guess that would have been the demo, so not much production on that one. And I agree with mrXniick. If it sounded like that on the album, I'd be happy.

It might be the same case as the RFRG studio clips in Youtube. Pretty funny, this sound a lot, a lot better (listen to the drums!) than the final mastered and mixed version. Trust In You - In The Studio #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNGJWGD9F7U

So maybe not finalized version at all. I'd actually hope it would be too. :D

mrXniick
04-23-2012, 12:02 AM
It might be the same case as the RFRG studio clips in Youtube. Pretty funny, this sound a lot, a lot better (listen to the drums!) than the final mastered and mixed version. Trust In You - In The Studio #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNGJWGD9F7U

So maybe not finalized version at all. I'd actually hope it would be too. :D

Actually I don't think that example carries over, because that studio clip from RFRG was a clip of a drum recording session, so drums would obviously be louder. The clip of days go by clearly had at least some editing and production on it.

Dexter_italy
04-23-2012, 12:27 AM
there's also another thing, that is the sound coming out from studio monitors, it will always be the best audio. when I hear an album with my normal audio system and with my monitors or with my "studio" headphone it's soooo damn better!!

Degstur Lolland
04-23-2012, 03:00 AM
Yeah, Trust In You, that was a bit disappointing, Josh ended up buried on the song.

Days Go By seems colorless in the video so...

Rooster
04-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Actually I don't think that example carries over, because that studio clip from RFRG was a clip of a drum recording session, so drums would obviously be louder. The clip of days go by clearly had at least some editing and production on it.

But it still sounds 10 times better than the finished product. I've used this exact same example some time before. There's far more energy in this clip than in Trust in You that appears on the album. Not just drums, guitars sound more powerful too, like they did in the Americana era.

I loved RaF,RaG, but the production was pretty bad.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Doesn't he warm up by singing Barry Manilow?
You're starting to steal the words from my mouth in a few threads now.

cool 2 hate 681
04-23-2012, 07:09 PM
I loved RaF,RaG, but the production was pretty bad.

i agree i hope the production on the new album is better