PDA

View Full Version : Does the BBS need a support group?

Lord Phidias
04-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Sometimes I've felt sad, or a little depressed, or confused, or lost, and don't really know who to talk about stuff, so I've come here in the past to clear my head, I don't really know why, I've never been a forums enthusiast, just of this one. I'm asking this because I think there are very intelligent individuals here who sometimes care about what people are saying, there are also others who can't stop themselves to say what they think despite of hurting those who seek comfort or advice, I don't like that...

So, maybe there should be a group for this or something... I have work to do now, need to stop procrastinating and focus on my shit, but I believe there is a groups option here, I haven't explored all the features of this forum, but maybe someone with the enough time and will to lead this could make the group.

Also, what do you guys think about solving issues and taking advice of a bunch of strangers on the internet? Have you done it? I have, and it hasn't been the best experience... but in some way it has helped.

Isolated Fury
04-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Not a bad idea.

I've always felt that the people here give great advice. Sure, there are times when members will analyze and rip someone's post to shreds, but there's usually a reason. Take the recent MNWT issue(s) for example. I cannot help but feel that it is an exaggerated hyperbole that would be lucky to be true. That's how I feel, because that's how it has been presented. Am I saying that my unbelief is the 100% truth? No. But that's what I interpret from the thread through contextual indications and conflicting statements. So yes, people can be mean and not filter the harsh truths from their brains to their mouths. This brings me to my next point. Sometimes, those brutally honest posts can be more helpful than the coddling posts of "Oooh, don't you worry. You're not doing anything wrong. It's all those other people's faults." Because really, it's not always the other people that's the problem. Will people take offense to that? Of course. That just means they need to work more on self-reflection and man up.

I also feel like an advice thread is legitimately a good idea. You flatter the members here, Lord All Mighty, to say there are some intelligent people here. And you're right. I've met people on here that are tenfold smarter than I am, and I'm glad I've met them. They let me judge the people in my everyday life more efficiently. This is a good panel to use for advice.

On the other hand, one thread dedicated to advice would probably get clogged with a lot of posts and might be liable to a lock. You could, of course, just make sequels. I'd be interested to see how people feel about this idea.

personal_loans_1
04-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Those threads are an average quality fuel for the boards fbut still. I'd give it a try.

My Name Was Taken
04-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Threads like this have worked on other forums I've visited. A few of them even have entire sections devoted to advice/support. It's a good idea... and some of us may really need it :/

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I think he meant an actual group, not a thread.
For example:
http://www.offspring.com/community/group.php?groupid=88

Baldwin
04-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, when did it become socially acceptable for men to be such overly sensitive weeping vaginas? In Mexico too, of all places. Don't you have proper, third-world issues to distract you from your teenage angst?

Lord Phidias
04-27-2012, 03:42 PM
I think he meant an actual group, not a thread.
For example:
http://www.offspring.com/community/group.php?groupid=88

I thought of a group, not a thread, because anyone can post shit on threads, like this man over here:

Just out of curiosity, when did it become socially acceptable for men to be such overly sensitive weeping vaginas? In Mexico too, of all places. Don't you have proper, third-world issues to distract you from your teenage angst?

I'm not a teenage anymore, and the idea just came to my head, it seems people might wanna share some shit, men and women, who cares about social acceptance. And no, here we have only cactuses and burros and hats and shit, nothing to worry about, just how am I going to get my tequila for tonight.

A thread would work too, but I think it would need severe moderation, for many reasons.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-27-2012, 11:21 PM
...Really?

A support group? A fucking support group??

Firstly, that's just asking to be trolled. Secondly, let's say you do get some halfway decent advice and support from the minority of people here who would actually join (probably mostly whiny annoying people). Let's say they make you feel a little bit better. Problem is, you still have to get up in the morning and look at yourself in the mirror and be OK with the fact that you're in a goddamn Internet "support" "group."

I mean, if you actually are secure with that fact, then you already have supreme self-confidence and are way better people than I am, and way less in need of support. So props to you guys-- you're cured.

I just supported the fuck out of all you faggots. No need for a group.

Lord Phidias
04-28-2012, 12:04 AM
...Really?

A support group? A fucking support group??

Firstly, that's just asking to be trolled. Secondly, let's say you do get some halfway decent advice and support from the minority of people here who would actually join (probably mostly whiny annoying people). Let's say they make you feel a little bit better. Problem is, you still have to get up in the morning and look at yourself in the mirror and be OK with the fact that you're in a goddamn Internet "support" "group."

I mean, if you actually are secure with that fact, then you already have supreme self-confidence and are way better people than I am, and way less in need of support. So props to you guys-- you're cured.

I just supported the fuck out of all you faggots. No need for a group.

TROLOLOL! It's kinda lame, yes, but... who cares? I wasn't bringing this up because I feel I need it, but maybe others would feel better if there is a place conceived with the purpose of sharing shit. And let's not call it a support group, but an advice thread, or something... I don't know, maybe it can support your boredom sometimes... :)

And it's not like people are going to present themselves: "Hi, I'm Lordo, and I'm a pervert" -"Hi, Lordo!"

samseby
04-28-2012, 12:33 AM
And it's not like people are going to present themselves: "Hi, I'm Lordo, and I'm a pervert" -"Hi, Lordo!"

It's not? :eek: Just kidding ... :p;)

Why not give it a try?

Isolated Fury
04-28-2012, 05:43 AM
... it seems people might wanna share some shit, men and women, who cares about social acceptance.
Wait. Wait a minute. So you're calling this a support group, but your target concern is social acceptance? So it's a big... club? You've completely lost me.

Llamas
04-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Wait. Wait a minute. So you're calling this a support group, but your target concern is social acceptance? So it's a big... club? You've completely lost me.

I think he meant it like, "Who cares about social acceptance? That's not the point of this." He just used really terrible grammar.

Isolated Fury
04-28-2012, 06:18 AM
I think he meant it like, "Who cares about social acceptance? That's not the point of this." He just used really terrible grammar.
Well in that case, I have a question. Is this going to be a public or private group? If it's public, you're opening the doors to trolls and people getting laughed off of the boards. If it's private, then you clearly care about social acceptance. A private group would also have to be invited only. That means that other people wanting to come into the group seeking help would have to be invited. You can choose to not invite a person for two reasons: either they're suspecting of wanting to troll or they've been judged as not needing any help from other people. And that would make the group a bunch of pretentious cocks.

To make it a group is a poor decision. If you stick with the thread idea, you can hope that you'll have serious people in there - people looking for legitimate help and people not hunting for lulz. Otherwise you're fucked.

Lord Phidias
04-28-2012, 09:05 AM

Heh... I missed a question mark. My grammar was not terrible!

Well in that case, I have a question. Is this going to be a public or private group? If it's public, you're opening the doors to trolls and people getting laughed off of the boards. If it's private, then you clearly care about social acceptance. A private group would also have to be invited only. That means that other people wanting to come into the group seeking help would have to be invited. You can choose to not invite a person for two reasons: either they're suspecting of wanting to troll or they've been judged as not needing any help from other people. And that would make the group a bunch of pretentious cocks.

To make it a group is a poor decision. If you stick with the thread idea, you can hope that you'll have serious people in there - people looking for legitimate help and people not hunting for lulz. Otherwise you're fucked.

Yes, that's the risk of making it public, being a thread or a group, and if it's private it would be only to protect people from trolls who would exploit their vulnerabilities, but not for social acceptance.

Maybe the thread is the best idea. But as I said, it would need severe moderation, people may want to make fun of some issues. It hasn't been really the predominant case on this board, people sometimes just speak the truths others don't wanna hear, but I've witnessed mockery before, which may lead to insulting and losing the purpose of the thread.

I still wanna know what do other people think, so far the majority thinks it's a good idea.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-28-2012, 01:33 PM
so far the majority thinks it's a good idea.

How do you figure?

My Name Was Taken
04-30-2012, 08:16 AM
It may nopt be a good idea, but it can't hurt to try. Can it?

killer_queen
04-30-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't think anyone on this board gives good advice individually. In fact we usually can't agree on the same subject. But that kind of diversity is really great to see something with all of its sides. And anyone who can survive to last more than a year in the forums is usually smart enough to support his arguments quite well so you'll be able to get more complex views that you've never thought about.

The best thing about the boards is, I think, the cruelty. We can talk as hard as we like, even to the people we are close and like very much if we think they are wrong. We make fun of anyone who says something stupid. In real life people prefer to have friends who suck up to each other in their gang no matter how shitty their opinions are. With no one to make fun of their terribly written poems, disgusting singing voice or inedible foods they cook they tend to think they are perfect and continue on being shitty. You don't need a group to support you online. You need better friends who aren't afraid to say that they think you are an idiot.

Baldwin
05-01-2012, 12:41 PM
This is the shittiest idea since wishomie's BBS pimp club. And since questioning your masculinity hasn't shamed you into shutting up about it, I'm going to explain why it's such an irredeemable abortion of an idea.

Firstly, general-purpose support groups are a shitty concept and don't work, because the drama-whores will devolve it into a pissing contest of who's got the worst life. Ever noticed how there's no such thing as "dying of a deadly disease support group"? No, they need to get ridiculously specific, and have separate spleen cancer support groups and stomach cancer support groups. Is it because there's a fundamental difference in the emotional baggage that comes with dying of spleen cancer, as opposed to dying of stomach cancer? No, it's because starting a nonspecific "Support Group" is paving a road to endless, eternal war. A war waged not with good old fashioned guns and bayonets, but with passive-aggressive comments and bad acting. A war that accomplishes nothing, and isn't even fun to watch.

Secondly, this is almost literally the worst place for a support group. There are worse places, I suppose (the Congo, perhaps), but unless you're from the Congo you could find a better place to whine about your feelings by literally just walking out your front door and talking to the first random person you see walking their dog. Aside from the trolling issue, any group you make is guaranteed to be dominated by two or three habitual attention-whores, with infrequent and tepid participation from anybody else. Basically you'll have a circle-jerk of less than a half-dozen people, and as any afficiondo of circle-jerking can tell you, it takes at least eight people to get a properly formed circle. Just type whatever your issues are into google, add "support" and your general location (not the Congo) and you'll find some sort of forum, or social group, or website, dedicated exactly to what you need. I guarantee it. I haven't googled "raped by a clown + support group + luxembourg" but I'm 99% positive that one exists, and is thriving.

Thirdly, as I said before, admitting you have problems is weak and womanly. Harden the fuck up and learn to cope with your crippling inadequacies in silence, like a real man.

Lord Phidias
05-01-2012, 12:59 PM
This is the shittiest idea since wishomie's BBS pimp club. And since questioning your masculinity hasn't shamed you into shutting up about it, I'm going to explain why it's such an irredeemable abortion of an idea.

Firstly, general-purpose support groups are a shitty concept and don't work, because the drama-whores will devolve it into a pissing contest of who's got the worst life. Ever noticed how there's no such thing as "dying of a deadly disease support group"? No, they need to get ridiculously specific, and have separate spleen cancer support groups and stomach cancer support groups. Is it because there's a fundamental difference in the emotional baggage that comes with dying of spleen cancer, as opposed to dying of stomach cancer? No, it's because starting a nonspecific "Support Group" is paving a road to endless, eternal war. A war waged not with good old fashioned guns and bayonets, but with passive-aggressive comments and bad acting. A war that accomplishes nothing, and isn't even fun to watch.

Secondly, this is almost literally the worst place for a support group. There are worse places, I suppose (the Congo, perhaps), but unless you're from the Congo you could find a better place to whine about your feelings by literally just walking out your front door and talking to the first random person you see walking their dog. Aside from the trolling issue, any group you make is guaranteed to be dominated by two or three habitual attention-whores, with infrequent and tepid participation from anybody else. Basically you'll have a circle-jerk of less than a half-dozen people, and as any afficiondo of circle-jerking can tell you, it takes at least eight people to get a properly formed circle. Just type whatever your issues are into google, add "support" and your general location (not the Congo) and you'll find some sort of forum, or social group, or website, dedicated exactly to what you need. I guarantee it. I haven't googled "raped by a clown + support group + luxembourg" but I'm 99% positive that one exists, and is thriving.

Thirdly, as I said before, admitting you have problems is weak and womanly. Harden the fuck up and learn to cope with your crippling inadequacies in silence, like a real man.

Yes yes yes, you are right. I am actually surprised because this isn't a troll, but the awful truth. And I wasn' talking about myself. Either way, I created the thread as an experiment, out of boredom, to tell you the truth. Let's see what happens :)

Isolated Fury
05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Baldwin gives the best advice. Irony.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Let's see what happens :)
We just did see what happened: Baldwin successfully debunked the logic behind this thread's existence and gave you the best advice you're going to receive, and no one else has offered a reason to the contrary thus far.

Lord Phidias
05-01-2012, 02:02 PM
We just did see what happened: Baldwin successfully debunked the logic behind this thread's existence and gave you the best advice you're going to receive, and no one else has offered a reason to the contrary thus far.

Oh my god, how many times do I have to say that I am not the one looking for advice right now?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I feel that your often entertaining posts don't receive the right attention. This one didn't quite make me laugh but I laughed internally while physically smiling.

Lord Phidias
05-01-2012, 08:20 PM

I actually like Baldwin, he is a dick, but you can't hate him. :)

Isolated Fury
05-01-2012, 10:06 PM
I feel that your often entertaining posts don't receive the right attention. This one didn't quite make me laugh but I laughed internally while physically smiling.
Love you, too.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Oh my god, how many times do I have to say that I am not the one looking for advice right now?
OK, but what I said applies to anyone who could be looking for advice here.

I actually like Baldwin, he is a dick, but you can't hate him. :)
We've all known that about him for quite some time :)

T-6005
05-02-2012, 12:29 AM
An advice thread/support group is a terrible idea. I can't even take it seriously and I have a horrifying tendency to take people's stories at face value just in case.

TheJakes84
05-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Yo, this place needs a little bit of lovin', eh. Yikes. :rolleyes: :p ;)

Isolated Fury
05-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Jake (though you're dead set on letting everybody know you're a chick), you're still doing a fucking bang up job of making me hate you.

Little_Miss_1565
05-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Are you really arguing with iPunk for acting like iPunk?

TheJakes84
05-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Isolated Fury: Go for it hate me all you want. I don't care at all. It's cool yo.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-10-2012, 09:02 PM
yo.
That word is used too frequently in your posts, yo.

TheJakes84
05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
That word is used too frequently in your posts, yo.

So what. Who cares. :rolleyes:

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
So what. Who cares. :rolleyes:
As far as I know, only me. I care. :)

I also care about the lack of question marks.

TheJakes84
05-10-2012, 09:16 PM
As far as I know, only me. I care. :)

I also care about the lack of question marks.

You sir are wise one my friend. :)

I'm in a dark side with cookies.

T-6005
05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I need some support
So sad so sad really sad
Oh wait no I'm not

Degstur Lolland
05-10-2012, 09:52 PM
You need Le support
Le sad Le sad really said
Oh wait you're not a frog

TheJakes84
05-11-2012, 12:40 AM
We need more cowbell
We need more salt
We need more Bumpin'
We want uncle sam back

TheJakes84
05-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Jake (though you're dead set on letting everybody know you're a chick), you're still doing a fucking bang up job of making me hate you.

are you 666%

iPunk is iPunk

Llamas
05-11-2012, 07:03 AM

Ha! Totally figured that shit out just a few minutes ago, right before reading this post. I'm such an awesome sleuth :cool: Glad I know it's her/him/it now, though. Now I can go back to completely ignoring it.

Lord Phidias
05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Lol at the rating of this thread.

TheJakes84
05-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Ha! Totally figured that shit out just a few minutes ago, right before reading this post. I'm such an awesome sleuth :cool: Glad I know it's her/him/it now, though. Now I can go back to completely ignoring it.

Yep, 'cause you still hate me.

FYI: I'm not a troll.

Lord Phidias
05-14-2012, 09:31 AM
FYI: I'm not a troll.

Not a Troll, but a Shetroll? O_o

TheJakes84
05-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Not a Troll, but a Shetroll? O_o

Lol, less of a HeTroll. :rolleyes: