PDA

View Full Version : Will Cruising California be a hit?

bighead384
04-30-2012, 08:37 AM
I feel like this should be it's own thread.

A point that can't be ignored: Even people that know next to nothing about The Offspring have GOT to know that Dexter is at least well into his 40s just based on how long The Offspring have been around. That's not going to sit well with the target audience that this song needs to catch on with in order to be successful. Especially since a lot of this kind of music is based on the imagery associated with being young and partying.

I think this song would be a lot more successful if they just made it the same sort of thing, but made it sound like an actual Offspring song. For example, YGGFK or WDYGAJ sound like a lot of the music that was (and still is) popular, but they have a distinct Offspring sound to them as well. This song just sounds like a 100% attempt at sounding like all the other radio pop that's out there.

Oh yeah, and as for how well I think the song will do commercially: I'd say it's catchy enough that radio stations will at least give it a try for a little while, but it will fall off the charts pretty quickly. A minor hit that falls well short of the mark.

Llamas
04-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Since it's the first single in Australia, but not in the US or Europe, no. I don't think it will be. If it was the first single all over the world, I'd expect it to be a hit... but they're releasing Days Go By in the US and Europe, and I don't think that one will fair as well.

Jojan
04-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I think it could be a summer plague (sommarplåga in Swedish) if they would make a good for MTV video for it.

RonWelty
04-30-2012, 09:17 AM
I hate it, but to be honest, this is the only song in years that I can expect to be played on radio here in Portugal. If they release it in summer I can see it being played all over the beaches.

nevo
04-30-2012, 09:37 AM
It's like wildfire, dude. It cannot be stopped!

jacknife737
04-30-2012, 09:38 AM
If it gets released as a single in North America I think it has the potential to do fairly well especially if it's accompanied by a well made/satirical video.

It's going to depend on how people interpret the song. It may end up being dismissed as "just another party song about California" or it could be seen as something that is at the zeitgeist of satirizing contemporary pop culture, like what Pretty Fly did to white-boy "gangsters".

disclaimer_07
04-30-2012, 09:45 AM
The song is damn catchy. It got stuck in my head instantly. I think it has the potential to become pretty huge, even if for all the wrong reasons.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-30-2012, 09:47 AM
I completely agree with bighead. People who listen to pop music aren't stupid, no matter how much people believe them to be. I think their age is gonna kill it.

That said, it's a catchy enough song to be a minor hit anyway.

I really think they should have gone with a different angle lyrically. People are good at picking up on when bands are insincere, i.e., singing about stuff that's totally unrelatable to them. I know that Dexter doesn't like writing autobiographical lyrics, but still, wouldn't it be cool if it was a shout-out to the 80s-90s punk culture of Orange County in the style of a Katy Perry pop song? That would be awesome and it would actually be funny. Rap about fighting with skinheads, skateboarding, and vandalism at Huntington Beach! And yet, keep the style exactly the same! Sure, the lyrics wouldn't be relevant today and it might be less likely to be a hit, but I think a lot of people would have appreciated the sincerity and the irony of it. Shit, now I'm mad that they didn't do this. I mean, I guess there's a Ramones quote, sorta ("Hey, ho, let's go!") but as it is, it's basically a Katy Perry song by the Offspring.

jsmak84
04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
NO no NO NO no no

jacknife737
04-30-2012, 10:30 AM
I really think they should have gone with a different angle lyrically. People are good at picking up on when bands are insincere, i.e., singing about stuff that's totally unrelatable to them. I know that Dexter doesn't like writing autobiographical lyrics, but still, wouldn't it be cool if it was a shout-out to the 80s-90s punk culture of Orange County in the style of a Katy Perry pop song? That would be awesome and it would actually be funny. Rap about fighting with skinheads, skateboarding, and vandalism at Huntington Beach! And yet, keep the style exactly the same! Sure, the lyrics wouldn't be relevant today and it might be less likely to be a hit, but I think a lot of people would have appreciated the sincerity and the irony of it. Shit, now I'm mad that they didn't do this. I mean, I guess there's a Ramones quote, sorta ("Hey, ho, let's go!") but as it is, it's basically a Katy Perry song by the Offspring.

Couldn't agree more with all of this. The Katy Perry style mets punk references in particular sounds like it could have been a lot of fun.

Da Hui
04-30-2012, 11:36 AM
i cant stop listening to it..
i've got a bad feeling that this won't be released outside of oz, a bit like spare me the details (which also had potential). i think this should break them into the mainstream again if released with a good video.

like i said, i can't stop listening to it.

"I know you heard that bass, bumpin' in my truck, bumpin' in my trunk"

haha its excellent. And for all the haters who bitch that they aren't punk anymore, who gives a fuck, they are nearly 50, they are millionnaires and they have made it, what have they got to be angry about?

i for one enjoy this, and i think it should be a biggy this summer!

Outerspaceman21
04-30-2012, 12:11 PM
I honestly think they not sure about whether to do Cruising California as a single in the NA, so they are testing it out on the Aussies, see if they like it first. This is not the first time they've singles exclusive to another country.

Oxygene
04-30-2012, 12:28 PM
I hope it will be a hit, we need girls in floss thick g strings at offspring shows :D

Little_Miss_1565
04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
I hope it will be a hit, we need girls in floss thick g strings at offspring shows :D

Only if those girls all look like Noodles' guitar tech. That elephant g-string was hottt, with three T's.

Oxygene
04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Only if those girls all look like Noodles' guitar tech. That elephant g-string was hottt, with three T's.

or.. or.. or.. you :D

actually, I'd settle for an either/or :D

mrconeman
04-30-2012, 12:40 PM
You guys are giving the passive listening audience way too much credit.
Do you think half the people that will hear this song and enjoy it, will have any idea who the fuck the Offspring even are?
(Given that I don't think anyone above the age of 12 could actually hear this and enjoy it)

You can't tell age through the radio, and they probably won't appear in the video.

I think it definitely could be a hit. People will not listen to the lyrics, and they will hear "CALIFORNIAAAAaAaAa" in that auto-tuned fucking horrible mess, and think it's some new electro pop band.

That said though, I hope this doesn't become a hit. I love proclaiming that I'm a huge fan of the Offspring, to people who know me as being way into other genres that they deem more respectable, and then changing their minds when they realise there is A LOT more to this band than Pretty Fly (this and Original Prankster completely ruined their credibility among people who just don't know).

If this song becomes a hit, and if this song becomes the song this band are associated to, I will have absolutely no case in defending them. This song is indefensibly bad. And this isn't just whiplash reaction anymore, I've listened to it a few times today, and it gets progressively worse. It's fucking awful.

Zee
04-30-2012, 12:51 PM
This song was played in a Finnish radio station today. I don't know wether it'll be the first single, but DGB haven't been played yet.

Degstur Lolland
04-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Smart people will enjoy it as a funny & a sarcastic song. Dumb people will enjoy it as a serious song. And then, the 3rd kind of people, too serious people or tru punx fans will do a negative campaign. Obvious hit. Or maybe it'll just simply fail...:D

XYlophonetreeZ
04-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Smart people will enjoy it as a funny & a sarcastic song. Dumb people will enjoy it as a serious song. And then, the 3rd kind of people, too serious people or tru punx fans will do a negative campaign. Obvious hit. Or maybe it'll just simply fail...:D
Or, people could just not like the song.

mrconeman
04-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Because it's terrible.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Because it's terrible.
Completely. But it's also insanely catchy, in the stupidest way possible. Most of my friends know about my Offspring fandom as well, but they also know that I'm not as fanatical as I once was. I think the best way to handle this is to just celebrate this song's ridiculousness. I want this to go viral. This has like, Rebecca Black-level potential.

Degstur Lolland
04-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Or, people could just not like the song.
Either you'll be in a minority with Coneman and T or you'll join the 3rd kind. :D Doesn't matter, you won't stop negative teenage reactions on youtube.

dav0147
04-30-2012, 01:13 PM
oh dear. don't think I've ever criticized them but that was terrible. I don't think I'll be able to listen to it again, surely that should be a B side or a bonus track, the album is only 12 songs with one re recording anyway. As much as Days Go By increased my expectations, this has lowered them more than ever.

killboybowerhead
04-30-2012, 01:46 PM
I laughed at first but the song kept going for two more minutes. They really should leave it off the album. I might have to pretend they broke up after the last record. Song is just bizarre.. like why? I get high sometimes and write stupid rap songs too but the song is just a joke that once wears thin is pretty damn empty.
If I was 13 right now and as big of an Offspring fan as I was when I was 13 Id be embarrassed. Do you want kids getting beat up at school for liking your band Offspring? I HOPE you guys are just playing a prank.

cool 2 hate 681
04-30-2012, 01:51 PM
I laughed at first but the song kept going for two more minutes. They really should leave it off the album. I might have to pretend they broke up after the last record. Song is just bizarre.

I don't know much I don't know too much But I know this Shit is fucked up!

killboybowerhead
04-30-2012, 01:55 PM
I don't know much I don't know too much But I know this Shit is fucked up!

I feel like I was dating Minka Kelly married her and she just let herself turn into rosie o'donnell.

Zee
04-30-2012, 03:46 PM
So in most of the world this song will be the first single!

RonWelty
04-30-2012, 03:58 PM
So in most of the world this song will be the first single!

Portugal will love this song. The history will forget the album

Zee
04-30-2012, 04:01 PM
It's funny that Days Go By will go as the single in United States, Canada, Germany, Austria and Switzerland. But elsewhere not.

Is it decided by the label in each country?

Dragnet
04-30-2012, 04:15 PM
If people think this is catchy I realize what damage popular music has already done to people. No substance, no originality, no creativity, no energy, dumbed down (sarcastic, yeah I know) lyrics. Makes me want to move into the woods, really.

GamerKT
04-30-2012, 04:24 PM
If people think this is catchy I realize what damage popular music has already done to people. No substance, no originality, no creativity, no energy, dumbed down (sarcastic, yeah I know) lyrics. Makes me want to move into the woods, really.

No one's stopping you.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
You guys are giving the passive listening audience way too much credit.
Do you think half the people that will hear this song and enjoy it, will have any idea who the fuck the Offspring even are?
(Given that I don't think anyone above the age of 12 could actually hear this and enjoy it)

You can't tell age through the radio, and they probably won't appear in the video.

I think it definitely could be a hit. People will not listen to the lyrics, and they will hear "CALIFORNIAAAAaAaAa" in that auto-tuned fucking horrible mess, and think it's some new electro pop band.

That said though, I hope this doesn't become a hit. I love proclaiming that I'm a huge fan of the Offspring, to people who know me as being way into other genres that they deem more respectable, and then changing their minds when they realise there is A LOT more to this band than Pretty Fly (this and Original Prankster completely ruined their credibility among people who just don't know).

If this song becomes a hit, and if this song becomes the song this band are associated to, I will have absolutely no case in defending them. This song is indefensibly bad. And this isn't just whiplash reaction anymore, I've listened to it a few times today, and it gets progressively worse. It's fucking awful.
You saved me time by saying everything I wanted to say.

This shit is fucked up!
That is correct.

SåS
04-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Well I live in the great outback of Australia (it's all outback, all of it)
And I'll let everybody know if it hits off here, it MIGHT because these songs are all over the radio. But who knows??

Personally, I don't mind the song, it's catchy!!!!!!!
It's EXACTLY if The Offspring wrote a Katy Perry song.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Someone suggested it. Let's see where the community stands.

bhg_rulz2
04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Well, in my opinion, yeah! it's not the Offspring we love, but fuck it, it got stuck to my head pretty easily, it´s really catchy, and it can become huge, let´s give ém a break, we know they like to navigate in other flows, and I LIKE THAT, no the same old sound!, we should be thankful that they are giving their best!, I´m pretty sure that the rest of the album would be greater, don´t forget "The Future Is Now", it´s amazing! lyrics we love, guitars we love, choruses we love, voice we love! Fuck it, Long Live The Offspring! =)

A thankful Fan from Mexico =)

Oxygene
04-30-2012, 05:02 PM
No it wasn't 'cause a bunch of piss ass whiney bitches can't stop complaining about it.. it's an odd choice for a song, but what's even worse is this spewing of nonsense that noone actually gives a fuck about but is present non the less... :S
I voted no btw ;)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-30-2012, 05:02 PM
I still don't like the song.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-30-2012, 05:03 PM
I voted no btw ;)
And that's all that matters :)

Degstur Lolland
04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
YES, it's bumpin' in my trunk.

GamerKT
04-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Overall, yes. I was speechless when I first heard it because I thought it was serious. I realized it was essentially a parody a few hours later. I think, if the band had made it clear that it was a joke, that everyone would think it's hilarious. I laugh through half the song now.
MY FRIENDS'RE DRINKIN'!

jacknife737
04-30-2012, 05:13 PM

Lacking originality doesn't preclude a song from being "catchy".

I don't exactly like the song, but it's hard to deny that its hook stays with you after listening.

Oxygene
04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
And that's all that matters :)

no not really, but alright ;)

Dragnet
04-30-2012, 05:22 PM
No one's stopping you.

Can't find my tent right now. Probably in the trunk... bumpin'.

GamerKT
04-30-2012, 05:24 PM

You know you hear that bass.

Oxygene
04-30-2012, 05:25 PM

Maybe it's up your caboose... along with your head.. :D

mario_spaghettio
04-30-2012, 05:30 PM
The best song they have ever recorded without question.

brothadave79
04-30-2012, 05:30 PM
My only real disappointment was because the title made me think it was about dead hookers.

KHWHD
04-30-2012, 05:32 PM
My only real disappointment was because the title made me think it was about dead hookers.

LMAO! :D :eek:

mario_spaghettio
04-30-2012, 06:54 PM
My only real disappointment was because the title made me think it was about dead hookers.it is about dead hookers

bighead384
04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Uh, why is there a poll in my thread now? I didn't create that poll.

I just skimmed the thread and didn't see an explanation.

I don't really care much, it just seems like a random thing to happen. (I pretend I don't care, but really this is going down in the notes I've been using for my upcoming book: BRAZEN INJUSTICE: The Overzealous, Biased, and Authoritarian Mods of The Offspring BBS)

GamerKT
04-30-2012, 07:42 PM

I don't really care much, it just seems like a random thing to happen. (I pretend I don't care, but really this is going down in the notes I've been using for my upcoming book: BRAZEN INJUSTICE: The Overzealous, Biased, and Authoritarian Mods of The Offspring BBS)

Threads were merged.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
04-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I'd read that

Little_Miss_1565
04-30-2012, 08:53 PM

I merged the 10,000 threads about Cruising California into one thread. Yours was first. Lucky your thread.

Can't wait to read your book. It'll be a great companion piece to my book CRY MOAR: Adventures in Dealing with Whining, Crying, and Other Forms of Bullshit.

bighead384
04-30-2012, 08:59 PM
I merged the 10,000 threads about Cruising California into one thread. Yours was first. Lucky your thread.

Can't wait to read your book. It'll be a great companion piece to my book CRY MOAR: Adventures in Dealing with Whining, Crying, and Other Forms of Bullshit.
That's great and all, but my book will contain a foreword by *Dexter Holland, where he talks about how he agrees with me 100%, admires my courage, and shines light onto the conspiracy that has prevented him from removing you from power.

*Not the frontman of The Offspring, but a random guy with the same name. Please don't see this note.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
04-30-2012, 09:02 PM
And the girl that you want
Is directly out in front
And she's waiving her caboose at you
you sneeze achoo, she calls you out mm hmm

I know you heard that bass
Bumping in my trunk
AHAAA
Bumping in my trunk
AHAAA

Gregmau5
05-01-2012, 03:51 AM
See, it's songs like this that make me embarassed to tell people that The Offspring is my favourite band.

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 05:22 AM
The best song they have ever recorded without question.

All the other communists agree with you...

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 05:26 AM
See, it's songs like this that make me embarassed to tell people that The Offspring is my favourite band.

See, it's fans like you that make me embarassed to tell people that The Offspring is my favourite band.

True story...

for every cool Offspring fan I know I've ran into at least a dozen retards..

mrconeman
05-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Jesus Christ you are such a crying baby, let it the fuck go.

You're complaining that too many people are posting negative comments which don't help discussion. You're wrong. Negative comments about this song, on a thread about this song, on a forum about the band that made this song, is exactly what sparks discussion.

You crying and moaning like a fucking child every time someone gives their opinion on your favourite band (and masturbation material, by the looks of it) is what kills discussion, just shut the fuck up, God.

Before you start crying again - please listen to this comment above all else - I am not being trupunx by not liking this song, nor am I a teenager whinging because his favourite band changed their sound. The Offspring aren't even close to being my favourite band, nor am I a teenager, but I do like them a lot. I don't give a fuck what is "hip" or "punk". I like music that is good. This song is terrible. Get over it, and dry your eyes. Please.

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 05:42 AM
Jesus Christ you are such a crying baby, let it the fuck go.

Wow, I had no idea how stupid I made you feel...

Accept my apologies.

You are free to act as hard to the core as you wish, we are all very impressed ok?

Now calm down, make sure to take your medication, and let me go ahead and find something you can do that is just as useful as your input here: like jailing the homeless..

mrconeman
05-01-2012, 05:55 AM
The whole false superiority thing only works if you aren't mindlessly delusional, just saying.

Little_Miss_1565
05-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Oxy, he doesn't like the song. It's fine. A lot of people don't like the song. The problem becomes when people seem at the point of suicide because the Offspring wrote a pop song, which is ridiculous, and also not what Coneman was doing.

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
The whole false superiority thing only works if you aren't mindlessly delusional, just saying.

Yeah you're right again... wow you are on a roll today.. that doesn't apply to real superiority tho. Just saying.

Oxy, he doesn't like the song. It's fine. A lot of people don't like the song. The problem becomes when people seem at the point of suicide because the Offspring wrote a pop song, which is ridiculous, and also not what Coneman was doing.

Um.. I know he doesn't like the song, and I am super happy for him, he's found meaning in his existence, so good for him.

But could he not like it elsewhere please?

Little_Miss_1565
05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
People are allowed to say they don't like the song. The point I've been trying to make is that if people can't say they don't like the song and maintain some general level of respect for the band, then and only then should they F off.

Degstur Lolland
05-01-2012, 10:22 AM
"But could he not like it elsewhere please?"

No. Freedom. Yeah, freedom is good unless you rape it beyond belief. :D Like serious death threats because of a pop song.

And it healthy, The Offspring can desing their product better next time. :)

Dexter_italy
05-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Over this there's only one thing I imagine... Dexter reading some of these posts and laughing his ass off the chair.

Llamas
05-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Um.. I know he doesn't like the song, and I am super happy for him, he's found meaning in his existence, so good for him.

But could he not like it elsewhere please?

So, long-time fans of the Offspring shouldn't be able to express their feelings about Offspring songs on their forum? Unless there's aggression/threats or personal attacks, that's a bit totalitarian. I welcome the discussion, and prefer it over a bunch of people saying they like the song and then the discussion ending.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-01-2012, 11:13 AM
I love and respect The Offspring. They are my favorite band.

I hate California Cruising. It's a bad song. The only song I don't like by The Offspring.

I'm not going to stop listening to The Offspring because of one crappy song. I agree that we should be able to say negative comments about it on the website.

Britpunk
05-01-2012, 11:28 AM
So, long-time fans of the Offspring shouldn't be able to express their feelings about Offspring songs on their forum? Unless there's aggression/threats or personal attacks, that's a bit totalitarian. I welcome the discussion, and prefer it over a bunch of people saying they like the song and then the discussion ending.

Discussion is great, and a few people have contributed constructively why they dislike the song. Others have simply registered their distate, which is also fine.

What isn't great is this self-entitled whining:
This is a shitty song.
I ain't gonna listen to them anymore cause of this song.
This is all the producer's fault.
They wrote a song to sell records (well duh).
This song makes/will make me ashamed to be an Offspring fan.

This stuff is just a waste of everybody's time and it is right for people to be called out on it.

I'm not particularly keen on Days Go By, but if I was to have a little tantrum about it, I'd expect people to (rightly) call me a dick.

Little_Miss_1565
05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Discussion is great, and a few people have contributed constructively why they dislike the song. Others have simply registered their distate, which is also fine.

This is a shitty song.

This stuff is just a waste of everybody's time and it is right for people to be called out on it.

I'm not particularly keen on Days Go By, but if I was to have a little tantrum about it, I'd expect people to (rightly) call me a dick.

This. A thousand times this.

Llamas
05-01-2012, 11:49 AM

This is a shitty song.

Right, I agree. There are a few people here acting like this, and it's annoying. I'm cool with them getting called out on it once or twice. But telling them to not like the song somewhere else is really stupid.

RobinoZombie
05-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Britpunk

I love you

Xoxo

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Right, I agree. There are a few people here acting like this, and it's annoying. I'm cool with them getting called out on it once or twice. But telling them to not like the song somewhere else is really stupid.

You totally got my message: I said continually whining about it is retarded.. saying it once, is meh.. ok, so you have no life, who cares right? but being destructive is bad.

Too bad that one slipped right by you..

Little_Miss_1565
05-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Oxy, come on. You've said it with a lot more force than that, and repeated it several times, which I think is what she's getting at.

Dexter_italy
05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
I really hope they'll play cruising california right after forever and a day at the ignition shows.... it would be so akward and funny! :D

Ristifer
05-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Seriously, people need to calm down. It's ridiculous. "Wahh, my Offspring tattoo won't come off now."

Seriously?! That's just stupid, and to be honest, you're not a fan if that's your frame of mind. I would seriously despise myself if I were that negative over a song from one of my all-time favourite bands. Being THAT negative makes you look like a horse's ass, which is too bad.

bighead384
05-01-2012, 12:11 PM
It doesn't sound at all like The Offspring and I don't like that. From the lyrics to the melodies, it just isn't The Offspring.

I don't care if it were jazz or something, if it doesn't have an Offspring sound to it, then I'm not down with it.

Llamas
05-01-2012, 12:22 PM
I said continually whining about it is retarded.. saying it once, is meh.. ok, so you have no life, who cares right? but being destructive is bad.

As 1565 said, it's not about whether or not I agree with your opinion there; it's about how many pages of text you written to people regarding this, over and over, ad nauseum. As annoying as I find saying the Offspring is no longer your favorite band and bitching that you can no longer defend the band, I'm actually to the point of being more annoyed with your posts clogging up the threads.

In addition to that, I never saw anything destructive coming from Camilamazed, RonWelty, nor mrconeman.

Camilamazed
05-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Oxy, come on. You've said it with a lot more force than that, and repeated it several times, which I think is what she's getting at.

Thank you. I've been trying to tell him that for a long time now. But because you are also connected with the band, he will listen to you.

Lord_Gabo
05-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Britpunk

I love you

Xoxo

Everybody knows that Britpunk is the word! :D

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 12:48 PM

This is a shitty song.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes

Why were you AWOL for over a decade you dick? Wanna pick me up at the airport again? :D

Britpunk
05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Britpunk

I love you

Xoxo

Everybody knows that Britpunk is the word! :D

You people are just trying to get in my sig. ;)

Yes yes yes yes yes yes

Why were you AWOL for over a decade you dick? Wanna pick me up at the airport again? :D

Sorry! Was it really a decade? Happy to pick you up if you're coming to Heathrow - I live near there now! London will actually be fucked on Jun 5 cause of the Queen's jubilee. I hope the tube is running normally!

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 01:03 PM
You people are just trying to get in my sig. ;)

Sorry! Was it really a decade? Happy to pick you up if you're coming to Heathrow - I live near there now! London will actually be fucked on Jun 5 cause of the Queen's jubilee. I hope the tube is running normally!

your FUCKING KIDDING ME.. the Jubilee again?!?!?!

It's stansted or whatever I will have to take some fucking train :(

mrconeman
05-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah so, having known Oxy's name for some time now due to his slight involvement/stalking with/of the band, I'm disappointed now that I've interacted with him. Oh well.
Stop embarrassing yourself, dude. You're only hurting your own credibility.

How's this for constructive - Let's hope the rest of the album is light years better than this song.

Britpunk
05-01-2012, 01:16 PM
your FUCKING KIDDING ME.. the Jubilee again?!?!?!

It's stansted or whatever I will have to take some fucking train :(

I'm not even sure where Stansted is. I can meet you at wherever the train ends up tho ;) Be warned though - If its Liverpool Street, then it will be chaos cause she's doing some service at nearby St Paul's cathedral. She's also doing some carriage tour thing through westminster so the area around trafalgar square down to parliament and up to buckingham palace will be heaving with tourists.

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 01:20 PM
How's this for constructive - Let's hope the rest of the album is light years better than this song.

I am always glad to disappoint a particular special breed :)

But to be fair, that was constructive..

Here's hoping that didn't any sort of pain or a migraine or something and you'll attempt being constructive again and again.

I certainly hope you are right... and I am pretty sure it's going to be full of awesome kick ass fast punk shit.

Maybe it'll make me like this pop song even more, if it fits with the flow of the album.

As for your other comments: stalking? really... that's ALL you could come up with? stalking... jeez. You poor fuck...

RonWelty
05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
caaaaliiiiifffoooorrniiiaaa.

This shit gets stuck in your head.

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm not even sure where Stansted is. I can meet you at wherever the train ends up tho ;) Be warned though - If its Liverpool Street, then it will be chaos cause she's doing some service at nearby St Paul's cathedral. She's also doing some carriage tour thing through westminster so the area around trafalgar square down to parliament and up to buckingham palace will be heaving with tourists.

I am not sure yet, but uh... fuck sake. Does this shit happen every time I go to London?
We are arriving pretty early, plane is coming in at 8:30ish I think... so maybe we'll avoid the crazyness...

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 01:23 PM
caaaaliiiiifffoooorrniiiaaa.

This shit gets stuck in your head.

I've actually grown to like you, did ya know that? :D

Let's have a beer in London shall we? :)

RonWelty
05-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I've actually grown to like you, did ya know that? :D

Let's have a beer in London shall we? :)

I never say I wouldn't listen to the song. I like that friday song of katy perry and I hate her. Like I like Pink Floyd's echoes and would hate Offspring doing something like that.

Well, one beer seems very weak to me :)

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
I never say I wouldn't listen to the song. I like that friday song of katy perry and I hate her. Like I like Pink Floyd's echoes and would hate Offspring doing something like that.

Well, one beer seems very weak to me :)

To be fair, my metabolism is pretty fucked, I did lose a 100 pounds :) Maybe two beers :)

RonWelty
05-01-2012, 01:33 PM
To be fair, my metabolism is pretty fucked, I did lose a 100 pounds :) Maybe two beers :)

congrats. I'm trying to lose some too, not 100, but 20 30.
If you know some place there that sells Duvel or Latrappe or Chimay I'm in.

Dexter_italy
05-01-2012, 01:40 PM
are\were we all fat dudes here? XD I've lost 24kg :D ahahha

RonWelty
05-01-2012, 01:42 PM
are\were we all fat dudes here? XD I've lost 24kg :D ahahha

thats +-50 pounds. congrats. I think Dexter needs to launch a site about weight lost cuz he is much thinner now.

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 01:44 PM
congrats. I'm trying to lose some too, not 100, but 20 30.
If you know some place there that sells Duvel or Latrappe or Chimay I'm in.

Grimbergen... that's all I am willing to drink where that is available, and it is @ tescos... :D

Dexter_italy
05-01-2012, 01:47 PM
thats +-50 pounds. congrats. I think Dexter needs to launch a site about weight lost cuz he is much thinner now.

well I think he can have a personal trainer if he wants :D I didn't notice really, but it would be cool if it emproves his voice performance too. and also started wearing weird jackets again ahahah.

PS: about his voice. I don't know if he ever took lessons or not and I don't care. But I found this video called the Zen of Screaming, and there's a teacher in new york so cool who teaches to take care of your voice and use it at your best, she's Melissa Cross. Todd's in the dvd too, cause h20 went to her, madball, lamb of god and other cool bands. It would be really cool to see what improvement dexter could have!

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 01:49 PM

I did 44 kilos

Before (http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1326/20091022k.jpg)
After (http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/8149/20101022.jpg)

Little_Miss_1565
05-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Hey guys, I'm glad you're having a brodown but would you mind taking it to PMs so people can continue to complain about Cruising California? :)

Dexter_italy
05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
I did 44 kilos

Before (http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1326/20091022k.jpg)
After (http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/8149/20101022.jpg)

congrats! in the first pic you could have worked for the band too :D in the last you could appear in Cruising California video :D

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Hey guys, I'm glad you're having a brodown but would you mind taking it to PMs so people can continue to complain about Cruising California? :)

Yes Mommy.. we'll shut up now

Dexter_italy
05-01-2012, 01:52 PM

we're giving another subject to blame XD

Dexter_italy
05-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Yes Mommy.. we'll shut up now

she's a bit of a mommy for us all :) but at max she could be my sister :)

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 01:58 PM
she's a bit of a mommy for us all :) but at max she could be my sister :)

I'm sure she could be all sorts of things :D

KHWHD
05-01-2012, 02:49 PM
It's funny how so many people are bashing the song, yet the poll says different. :rolleyes:

Oxygene
05-01-2012, 02:53 PM
It's funny how so many people are bashing the song, yet the poll says different. :rolleyes:

That's actually not funny, it's the exact opposite of funny... it's sad...

RonWelty
05-01-2012, 02:54 PM

Dexter is cooking up the numbers..

KHWHD
05-01-2012, 02:56 PM
That's actually not funny, it's the exact opposite of funny... it's sad...

It's confusing really. :eek:

Edit: And I was being sarcastic.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-01-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm actually surprised at the poll results

Americana98
05-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I think the song's pretty fun in a "they're spoofing the genre and having a lot of fun" type of way, but all in all, probably a mistake to record. Many won't get the joke and it'll just add fuel to their claims that The Offspring are "no longer punk."

mrconeman
05-02-2012, 12:21 AM
The thread isn't asking if we like it, it's asking do we think it has the potential to be a hit.

For example - I do not like this song, I think it's definitely the worst thing I've ever heard this band do, but I do however think it could be a hit radio song. You see?

Here's hoping that didn't any sort of pain or a migraine or something and you'll attempt being constructive again and again.

As for your other comments: stalking? really... that's ALL you could come up with? stalking... jeez. You poor fuck...
llololololololololololironylolololol

Oxygene
05-02-2012, 01:13 AM
llololololololololololironylolololol
Irony has a very very specific and narrow meaning. It means that you do something with a specific intention and it has the exact opposite effect . IE: it is ironic if you send food aid to starving children in africa, and as the crate gets pushed out of the plane the parachute breaks and kills the little kid that is waiting below the plane for the food aid.

That's ironic..
How is what you just said ironic? You were trying to run me into a stalker (?) and you turned into one (?).

Can you please pay attention to the language we all agreed on, if it's not too much trouble?

Thanks.

mrconeman
05-02-2012, 02:30 AM
You should probably pay attention to how quoting works. Where in the blue fuck did I say anything *I* said was ironic?

What *you* said was ironic, not what *I* said. Obviously.

And since you'll crymoar about this, I'll explain. Complaining that all I could come up with was "stalking" (Also, not actually trying to come up with anything, you just actually have a fully realised obsession with this band) while what you came up with was weak as fuck bullshit like "ololol i hopez my amzing intelekt didn hrt ur tiny brianz" while spouting some of the stupidest shit I've read on here.

Seriously though dude, the false superiority thing only works if you aren't coming off with some of the most immature and idiotic nonsense I've seen on this board. You should probably leave that angle, it really doesn't work for you.

will2k
05-02-2012, 03:09 AM
With Bumpin' sounding like a Katy Perry song and Days sounding like a Foo Fighters song I'm actually wondering what the rest of the album will be like.

Dexter_italy
05-02-2012, 03:25 AM
With Bumpin' sounding like a Katy Perry song and Days sounding like a Foo Fighters song I'm actually wondering what the rest of the album will be like.

there will be:
a korn style song
an ac\dc style song
a shakira style song
a skrillex featuring song
a linkin park electronic style song

that's what we know for now!

Oxygene
05-02-2012, 03:29 AM
You should probably pay attention to how quoting works. Where in the blue fuck did I say anything *I* said was ironic?

What *you* said was ironic, not what *I* said. Obviously.

And since you'll crymoar about this, I'll explain. Complaining that all I could come up with was "stalking" (Also, not actually trying to come up with anything, you just actually have a fully realised obsession with this band) while what you came up with was weak as fuck bullshit like "ololol i hopez my amzing intelekt didn hrt ur tiny brianz" while spouting some of the stupidest shit I've read on here.

Seriously though dude, the false superiority thing only works if you aren't coming off with some of the most immature and idiotic nonsense I've seen on this board. You should probably leave that angle, it really doesn't work for you.

Oh ok.. I see you weren't trying to actually come up with anything, but all you could come up with was...

I see what you did there :D

RonWelty
05-02-2012, 06:47 AM
there will be:
a korn style song
an ac\dc style song
a shakira style song
a skrillex featuring song
a linkin park electronic style song

that's what we know for now!

Don't forget Green Day. Maybe OC GUNS is a rip off of 21 GUNS.

Little_Miss_1565
05-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Oxy, I can't follow what you're on about with Coneman either.

Krojd
05-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Ou..... Ouuuu Ccccc Guns!

Lord_Gabo
05-02-2012, 10:38 AM
the poll don't lie, most of people have understand the sense of CC :D

Llamas
05-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Seems that Oxy has some repressed issue with Coneman. I didn't see Coneman say anything wrong at all.

bighead384
05-02-2012, 11:10 AM
He's being an arrogant dick as usual.

Oxygene
05-02-2012, 11:11 AM

That's quite alright :)

Seems that Oxy has some repressed issue with Coneman. I didn't see Coneman say anything wrong at all.

Yes I have some repressed issue with some dude I had no idea existed until 40 hours ago. You might wanna give that one another whirl...

Oxygene
05-02-2012, 11:12 AM
He's being an arrogant dick as usual.

... and the cavalry.. et tu? :))

mrconeman
05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Hi Bighead, I was wondering how long it'd take for you to take Oxy's side. I like how literally every discussion/argument I get into on this forum will have you join the other persons side these days. Good going. Good consistency.

Anyway yeah, there's clearly no talking any sense into Oxy at this point, so I dunno, carry on being a maniac and taking a huff every time someone makes fun of this shitty song.

Free?
05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
It's confusing really. :eek:

Edit: And I was being sarcastic.
You mean, it was sad for you to see poll results?

The thread isn't asking if we like it, it's asking do we think it has the potential to be a hit.

For example - I do not like this song, I think it's definitely the worst thing I've ever heard this band do, but I do however think it could be a hit radio song. You see?

Hate to say this, but the poll question quite differs from thread's topic.

mrconeman
05-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Hate to say this, but the poll question quite differs from thread's topic.

Good eye, I didn't read the poll question, just the title of the thread. Still, being a good idea to record it doesn't particularly mean they like it. If it becomes a hit for them, then it was a good idea. Doesn't make it a good song.

Llamas
05-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, the thread title and the poll question threw me off, as well. I voted in terms of the thread title. I dunno if I'd call the song a "good idea", but I think it could be a hit.

the_real_potomek
05-02-2012, 12:30 PM

Don't even say such things, please. 21 Guns is one of the worst songs ever written.
Dammit, I'll have nightmares now, why did you have to write such a horrible thing:(

RonWelty
05-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Don't even say such things, please. 21 Guns is one of the worst songs ever written.
Dammit, I'll have nightmares now, why did you have to write such a horrible thing:(

Because I'm a dick.
But you're right, It's even worse than "last american girl"

the_real_potomek
05-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Because I'm a dick.
But you're right, It's even worse than "last american girl"

Last Green Day album is shitty in general, in my opinion. But 21 Guns is just so bad that I can't find the right words to express how bad it is. Especially after I heard that musical version of it that was once performed on some MTV awards I guess... God, that was REALLY bad. Brrrrr.

Defender
05-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I voted for "yes" because I like this song for some unknown reason (I really don't know why I like it) but I believe that it was not a good idea. The band's image will be damaged to the non Offspring fans' eyes but somebody can say: Who cares?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-02-2012, 03:54 PM

We should get Degster Lolland on this. He'll likely predict the pre-chorus for us in a matter of 27 seconds.

My radio is playing Come Out And Play right now, which is causing the existence of California Cruising to bother me even more.

I don't know
05-02-2012, 04:58 PM
This song is definitely going to be a hit, I've only heard it once and it's already stuck in my head.

will2k
05-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Yeah, the thread title and the poll question threw me off, as well. I voted in terms of the thread title. I dunno if I'd call the song a "good idea", but I think it could be a hit.
Critical reading is a lifeskill.

This song is definitely going to be a hit, I've only heard it once and it's already stuck in my head.
Isn't that the point? I don't see what the big hub-bub about this single is.

Greekoldfan
05-03-2012, 04:56 AM
it is nice for a band to try new things.some of them may work out some others not, but experiments are good to try

samseby
05-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Still not sure about either. As for the recording part: Well they can record whatever they feel like - releasing it in AUS (of all things) as the first single of DGB ... I don't know.

It sure as hell caused some attention which can be a good thing but doesn't necessarily have to be.

I'm still wondering what people would say if not The Offspring released that same song but some other band did (not gonna name a band here). Would the same people like and embrace it that much too? What I'm going at here is are people just in favor of it because it's their favorite band that recorded it or because they like the song itself ... hell of a difference as far as I'm concerned ;)

Edit:
And I'm actually wondering what the (other) "few kinda fun songs" on the album are gonna be like ...

Dexter_italy
05-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Still not sure about either. As for the recording part: Well they can record whatever they feel like - releasing it in AUS (of all things) as the first single of DGB ... I don't know.

It sure as hell caused some attention which can be a good thing but doesn't necessarily have to be.

I'm still wondering what people would say if not The Offspring released that same song but some other band did (not gonna name a band here). Would the same people like and embrace it that much too?

you know, you have to think about bands who could make a song like this, obviously pennywise, rise against, afi, couldn't ever do a song like this, too serious. but mxpx, old blink, guttermouth, bloodhoung gang, why not? maybe with some polemics around it, but it wouldn't be a tragedy like it isn't for a band like the offspring

Supa
05-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Why don't you all just shut up? The argument should be done by now. Both sides have stated their opinion at least a thousand and one times, why are you still saying it? Let bygones be bygones and get back to the topic at hand. Do you need a reminder as to what that is?

My lord.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-03-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm sure this song will continue to be discussed for the next few years. I'm in acceptance right now. I'm recovering. :)

samseby
05-04-2012, 05:42 AM
Me ... just "trying" to answer the thread title respectively the poll ;)

generalpike
05-06-2012, 01:19 AM
my radio does not have a rock station.... #welcometothewindycity