PDA

View Full Version : BBS needs help

Isolated Fury
05-01-2012, 08:14 AM
If there is going to be an influx of new members and possibly old members due to the new Offspring material that is coming out (or so I've heard), the BBS should be updated. I'm not talking about a new layout and pretty images. It needs more than a fresh coat of paint. I'm talking about the functionality of the user profiles, mostly.

My main worry is that it's too outdated to keep people here. They'll hang around for 50-100 posts, get bored, and leave. Their Facebook news feed is getting backed up while they're here, and that just won't do. But there are a few things that just scream "LOL THIS SITE WAS MADE BEFORE YOU WERE BORN."

Take a look at the Contact Info section of the user profile. Outside of work, when is the last time you've emailed somebody? I can guess it's been about 5 years for me. And the IM section.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/afisoadnin/im.jpg

I haven't used an instant messenger in forever, with the exception of Skype calls from my phone. And I'm not exaggerating, really. I uninstalled AIM back in 2007. I used Yahoo Messenger for a couple years back around '04 to get nude pics from some girl in NY (don't hate). I feel like ICQ died before the new millenium hit, so I don't even know why it's on there. I really only hear of people using Skype anymore and very, very, very rarely MSN. The programs just aren't considered convenient anymore. It should be updated to something else. What do people use now? Facebook, Twitter, Google+ (all 9 of its members), etc... It just seems like the smart thing to do.

I've also recently noticed that I can apparently have pictures for my profile. Like albums and shit. Almost like this is trying to be a mini social networking site. Like itty-bitty mini. Anyway, I tried looking at other people's "albums" to see how this is set up, and I came up with this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/afisoadnin/404.jpg

For every single one. Now there's two options here, really. One would be to fix it. Everyone can have their pictures for other people to look at and touch themselves to, always having an awkward shortened breath every time you see that person post after you because THAT'S WHERE THEY'RE GOING TO CALL YOU OUT ON IT. THEY KNOW WHAT YOU DID. YOU INVADED THEIR DISTANT VIRTUAL PRIVACY WITH YOUR DIRTY HANDS. Oh, they posted something about surprisingly appreciating a post from Jojan. Ok, cool. That's one way to fix it.

The other way? Just. Get. Rid of it. I think it's pointless, really - especially if you have links to their (surprise surprise) Facebook or something.

So yeah.

Little_Miss_1565
05-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Lol, thanks. I'll send this to the guy who does the website now. I think he's new, so he'll be stoked on all the work he has to do now. :)

Jojan
05-01-2012, 08:55 AM
I use ICQ and MSN Messenger. Skype sucks. So does MSN Messenger. ICQ rocks, and I know my ICQ number by heart.

It feels like it started off just like MSN Messenger. Before everyone had gotten Windows XP which included MSN Messenger, we had ICQ. But I do not know if Apple included Skype, but because people got Macs with built-in cameras and using those idiotic "smart phones" Skype solved some of their problems.

Facebook is shit. Fuck Facebook. Google+ is a lot better than Facebook, but is also shit. Diaspora (https://joindiaspora.com/) is the future.

Little_Miss_1565
05-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Diaspora (https://joindiaspora.com/) is the future.

...which is why it was so widely and enthusiastically adopted when it went live, amirite?

Llamas
05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
It's the future for counter-culture anti-social types. It's a cool concept, but there's a reason 99% of people haven't heard of it. I like open-source stuff a lot, but when it comes to a way to stay in touch and communicate, if the vast majority aren't using it, it seems rather anti-social for a "social network". Why would I want to join a social network that approximately two of my friends use? And if it took off and became popular, of course it would start sucking just like Facebook.

Oh, and I have google plus. It's no different from Facebook, minus a couple tiny differences. Nothing special about it at all.

My Name Was Taken
05-01-2012, 11:49 AM
I use my albums as much as possible. They provide me with an image code like photobucket, but I donít have to have an updated flash player to copy it. I use Yahoo, Skype, and MSN regularly. The last time I sent an e-mail to someone was this morning. But Iíve never heard of ICQ, AIM is for old people, and I do believe this site should link to our facebooks.

Llamas
05-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I use Yahoo

AIM is for old people

O_o Does not compute.

My Name Was Taken
05-01-2012, 12:00 PM
O_o Does not compute.

Well, I use yahoo rarelyÖ To talk to my 25-30yr old friends. My grandmother uses AIM, though... As do a lot of my neighbors. (I live in a retirement community, basically.)

My Name Was Taken
05-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Google+: Your friends
Facebook: Everyone you've ever met
MySpace: Strangers

Thereís the differences.

Llamas
05-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Google+: Your friends
Facebook: Everyone you've ever met
MySpace: Strangers

Thereís the differences.

If you don't know how to use them, then sure. I never used Myspace for a ton of strangers, and while I used to add everyone I met on FB, I removed roughly 33% of my friends not too long ago and no longer add people I just met. Only have people on FB now whose posts I genuinely enjoy, or that I want to be in touch with.

Google+ nobody ever posts on. Some of my geekier friends have it, but almost none of my closest friends do. And only like 2 people I know actually post anything there.

Jojan
05-01-2012, 12:34 PM
...which is why it was so widely and enthusiastically adopted when it went live, amirite?

It is still in a developing phase. But one day, my love.

It's the future for counter-culture anti-social types. It's a cool concept, but there's a reason 99% of people haven't heard of it. I like open-source stuff a lot, but when it comes to a way to stay in touch and communicate, if the vast majority aren't using it, it seems rather anti-social for a "social network". Why would I want to join a social network that approximately two of my friends use? And if it took off and became popular, of course it would start sucking just like Facebook.

Is it only 99%? I thought thought the number was higher.

It is still in an alpha stage of development. There are not a whole lot of pods yet, and they are not all that good. Diaspora is not meant to make (a lot of) money, and Facebook got there first.

One of the reasons why Facebook suck is that it spies on you, and filters information for you. That is what Google does as well. Sense what types of links you press and learns to remove other stuff.

To use Facebook, Google+ or anything else only because everyone else does it is not a good excuse. I think Diaspora is morally better, and better use of the Internet and thus I support it.

Oh, and I have google plus. It's no different from Facebook, minus a couple tiny differences. Nothing special about it at all.

Then they have changed Facebook since I left in August, last year. Then there really is no reason to make the switch. It is even better to stay on Facebook, as that gives Google less traffic.

Lord Phidias
05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
...and I do believe this site should link to our facebooks.

Errr... I don't know about that... facebook is actually a very unsafe place, that's why there are tons (?) of privacy settings. I wouldn't add people from here to my facebook, since none of you are my friends.

Isolated Fury
05-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Errr... I don't know about that... facebook is actually a very unsafe place, that's why there are tons (?) of privacy settings. I wouldn't add people from here to my facebook, since none of you are my friends.
It would be a completely voluntary posting. Just like the screennames for the IM programs. You don't have to list them.

Llamas
05-01-2012, 01:36 PM

I've got several bbs members on FB; the ones I get along with really well and "trust", I suppose. I don't think it's dangerous if you're careful about who you add. But I wouldn't link my profile on the bbs.

My Name Was Taken
05-01-2012, 03:48 PM
since none of you are my friends.

You haven't made any friends here?

Al Coholic
05-01-2012, 06:08 PM
The answer is in the top right of your screen. It's the notifications section where you recieve this nice bold number next to how many private messages, profile messages, social group join requests, etc.

There's another notifications section that may well be the most addicting thing on the most popular social network. I'm talking about those three little icons on the top left of your facebook(freinds, messages, and notifications). Have any of you ever logged on and not clicked on them when they're red? Ofcourse not. I'm more likely to meet someone who can sucessfully stop peeing midstream.

If users had a basic profile where they were notified everytime someone posted in one of their threads, quoted them, or posted in a thread they posted in, we'd see a ton more traffic. This would be in addition to the notifications we already recieve for freind requests and private messages and stuff (like facebook), and with more of a focus on people who've responded to your post (although you'd just be notified everytime someone posted where you posted - like facebook)

When you think about it, what's the first thing you do after you scroll the recent threads in general chat? Probably re-open threads you remembered replying to and see what other people responded with. This skips the step where you have to remember and gives you an addicting notification feature.

Gustavo
05-01-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm not quite the programmer myself, but I do know a little about it, and having a "social network system" on here, that would take A LOT OF coding. I mean, a lot. Not a one person job at all. And I don't think that's very neccessary for the demand here.

There are some easier options for sure, like, adapting the entirety of the website to Wordpress and using the plugin BuddyPress (http://buddypress.org/), which would basically turn our community in a website, with things like "like" and "comment" and "mention", with notifications and things like that. I'm not quite sure how good the forums system for BuddyPress is but there are tons of other forums plugins for wordpress and there could definitely be a way to make them work together. But, then again, that would take a lot of work and maybe that's not even neccessary for the current demand here.

Besides, people will just create their Offspring groups and pages on Facebook and have converstions about their band on their, either through the official channels or the unofficial ones. There's this group called "The Offspring Brasil" on Facebook, and it's actually more active than the BBS on a regular day, even though there are way less members.

Lord Phidias
05-01-2012, 08:17 PM
You haven't made any friends here?

I don't think so... there are some people that I like, but it hasn't evolved to anything further. I'm not antisocial and not against befriending people from here, I mean, we all share our likes for The Offspring, but I haven't "met" anyone here yet. It's a trust issue, like llamas says, but that grows only over time, and when you get to know someone.

Do you want to be my friend, MNWT? :)

Isolated Fury
05-01-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm not talking about transforming this into its own little social networking site. I'm just talking about getting this place out of the Stone Age. Like I said before, nobody uses those IM programs anymore (I'm totally ignoring you people that said you use them lololol). It's pointless. Just a simple link to their Facebook or whatever the fuck Jojan uses would do just fine.

I do sort of like Al Coholic's idea of being notified when a recent thread you had activity in is doing something, though.

WebDudette
05-01-2012, 10:43 PM
I don't actually mine facebook and Google datamining. If I have to look at adds, I prefer the ones with me in mind. I saw an add for a kickball leaguei n my area the other day and decided to look into it.

T-6005
05-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Brianna is on my facebook HOLY SHIT

My Name Was Taken
05-02-2012, 08:47 AM
The answer is in the top right of your screen. It's the notifications section where you recieve this nice bold number next to how many private messages, profile messages, social group join requests, etc.

There's another notifications section that may well be the most addicting thing on the most popular social network. I'm talking about those three little icons on the top left of your facebook(freinds, messages, and notifications). Have any of you ever logged on and not clicked on them when they're red? Ofcourse not. I'm more likely to meet someone who can sucessfully stop peeing midstream.

If users had a basic profile where they were notified everytime someone posted in one of their threads, quoted them, or posted in a thread they posted in, we'd see a ton more traffic. This would be in addition to the notifications we already recieve for freind requests and private messages and stuff (like facebook), and with more of a focus on people who've responded to your post (although you'd just be notified everytime someone posted where you posted - like facebook)

When you think about it, what's the first thing you do after you scroll the recent threads in general chat? Probably re-open threads you remembered replying to and see what other people responded with. This skips the step where you have to remember and gives you an addicting notification feature.

I'd hope we would also have the option (like on facebook) to "unsubscribe" so we'd stop being notified of every little detail. Just because i replied to the bumpin' thread doesn't mean i want a zillion notifications every half hour because so many people are replying to it.

Llamas
05-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Brianna is on my facebook HOLY SHIT

Yep, it's so I can confuse you with other bbs members who are cartophiles... seriously, who is that??

My Name Was Taken
05-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Do you want to be my friend, MNWT? :)

Yes :)

Lord Phidias
05-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Yes :)

Aawwww... :D

My Name Was Taken
05-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I think we should get back on topic. lol.
I think we should have a button that says "unread replies to your posts" and "unread posts since last visit" like a few other message boards I've been on. It makes things easier and more fun.

yellow
05-02-2012, 12:33 PM
OMG! Finally someone said it. Thank you. I agree.

T-6005
05-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Yep, it's so I can confuse you with other bbs members who are cartophiles... seriously, who is that??

My guess would have been Dr. Treez.