PDA

View Full Version : When Americana was released...

dexter85
05-04-2012, 03:46 AM
Hey guys.
I don't know how extensive the online-community was in 1998, but I was wondering... now with the upcoming release of Days Go By and all the debate about the album and all... how was it when Americana or maybe CO1 was about to be released? What were people saying about that on the online community when they heard the first singles off the albums?
Were people critical towards the albums or were their reactions favourable?
Do any of you remember what the feelings were?

Oxygene
05-04-2012, 04:15 AM
Hey guys.
I don't know how extensive the online-community was in 1998, but I was wondering... now with the upcoming release of Days Go By and all the debate about the album and all... how was it when Americana or maybe CO1 was about to be released? What were people saying about that on the online community when they heard the first singles off the albums?
Were people critical towards the albums or were their reactions favourable?
Do any of you remember what the feelings were?

Americana's release was interesting.. KROQ was the first to play an early version of pretty fly which a dude name WhiteBandit recorded and uploaded in a wav file.. I think it was the version where it didn't go "hey hey do that brand new thing" but "cmon and do that brand new thing"...

Then a cd version of feelings, pretty fly, and the kids aren't alright was leaked.. I think it may have been the "fat" version and came from that sampler not the piece of americana promo, but from that sampler..

Then somehow a release group called APC-Decible (or something like that) got a hold of a rip and started spreading it on IRC. I then uploaded it to my website at the time, and it was shared on an mp3 searchbox, like astalavista.box.sk or something like that...
This was before napster, so it was prestige for the band to have their mp3-s onlne, websites and webspace cost a lot of money at the time..

That's pretty much how it was leaked. I remember the first version of the artwork I had printed had the tentacals of the squid reaching for the kid green.. not that purple yellowish thing...

edit: I bet I could still find that old version of pretty fly on an old hard drive somewhere, it was called pfly.wav :)

dexter85
05-04-2012, 05:01 AM
Wow, I'd love to hear the early version! Is it possible for you to upload it?

Greekoldfan
05-04-2012, 05:05 AM
http://theoffspring.eu/item/pretty-fly-c-mon-demo-promo-version.html?category_id=16 here it is c'mon version. i have it from this promo cd-r http://theoffspring.eu/item/pretty-fly-for-a-white-guy-11.html the americana version sample is this one: http://theoffspring.eu/item/americana-4.html but unfortunately i can't confirm the fat kids version because they have printed the cd-label on the playable side of the disc that i bought :(

Greekoldfan
05-04-2012, 05:20 AM
and here is the kids aren't alright fat kids promo version: http://theoffspring.eu/item/the-kids-aren-t-alright-fat-kids-mix.html?category_id=16

Little_Miss_1565
05-04-2012, 06:30 AM
I remember people being unstoked on "Pretty Fly" at the beginning, but the song took off so much that even those of us who didn't like it much couldn't really deny it.

With Conspiracy, several of us were given tracks to share on Napster and such in advance. That was fun. But my memories of that album's rollout are tainted for a few reasons. My fellow old farts will know what I'm talking about.

I can't say that the band is doing more than they ever have with promoting albums in advance online, but I feel like they're more open and directly connected to the fans online than ever before. And I feel like a lot of the vitriol in responses about the new album comes from being so used to feeling like the band completely ignores everything that goes on in the forums and elsewhere, which just isn't the case anymore.

Llamas
05-04-2012, 06:42 AM
With Conspiracy, several of us were given tracks to share on Napster and such in advance. That was fun. But my memories of that album's rollout are tainted for a few reasons. My fellow old farts will know what I'm talking about.

When CO1 came out, my family had just discovered Juno dial-up email. No, not internet. Email. Where you dialed up the modem to check if you had any new emails. And that was it. I remember all the hype around CO1 and its online presence, but unfortunately I was unable to reap any of the benefits. I'm curious about what it was like to get tracks to share on Napster - what tracks did you guys get before the album dropped? And why tainted? Sounds complicated, but if you're willing to get into it, I'm curious :)

I can't say that the band is doing more than they ever have with promoting albums in advance online, but I feel like they're more open and directly connected to the fans online than ever before. And I feel like a lot of the vitriol in responses about the new album comes from being so used to feeling like the band completely ignores everything that goes on in the forums and elsewhere, which just isn't the case anymore.

Without question, the band's (especially Noodles') direct communication with fans via the internet is one of the biggest reasons I'm still a fan. I've mentioned before on this bbs that I have a hard time disassociating personality of artists from the music they make, and in cases like Kanye West and others who are kinda just obnoxious/gross people, it sucks. But in cases like the Offspring, it's pretty awesome. In fact, how much the Offspring cares about their fans (they freaking re-work songs due to fan response, change their set list due to fans' desires, and make apps to get fans involved!) is what makes the backlash due to Cruisin' California so ridiculous. I'm not talking about disliking the song, but those who've acted like the Offspring have stabbed their fans in the back and don't care at all about them.

findout5
05-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Right before Americana came out there was a lot of buzz.
I still remember watching stuff on the website (Dexter playing feelings in the studio - guitar, and also a soundclip that didn't make the record with a middle-eastern feel...). The record came out. It was a little different, but not that much...then Pretty Fly was all over the place.

With CO1 a lot of stuff was leaked beforehand. OP was the 1st ever digital free download on a band's official website. The record was rocking but it was a little bit more of the same.

I still think, because they were more relevant (more mainstream in sales) back then, more people gave a shit, as opposed to now, where it's always the same people having the same debates...50 or so people having arguments lol

Outerspaceman21
05-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Without question, the band's (especially Noodles') direct communication with fans via the internet is one of the biggest reasons I'm still a fan. I've mentioned before on this bbs that I have a hard time disassociating personality of artists from the music they make, and in cases like Kanye West and others who are kinda just obnoxious/gross people, it sucks. But in cases like the Offspring, it's pretty awesome. In fact, how much the Offspring cares about their fans (they freaking re-work songs due to fan response, change their set list due to fans' desires, and make apps to get fans involved!) is what makes the backlash due to Cruisin' California so ridiculous. I'm not talking about disliking the song, but those who've acted like the Offspring have stabbed their fans in the back and don't care at all about them.

I like this statement. There's nothing I can add to the thread, I didn't join the Forum/BBS until before RafRag came out, but I agree with this statement.

Blackball_
05-04-2012, 06:14 PM
when americana was being released, it was exciting! same with co1. ive not really had that feeling since.

SeanAshmore
05-05-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't remember the build up to Americana because I only got into the Offspring through that album. I remember the website from the time though.

The buildup to CO1 was great! I remember someone made some great website that was themed like the album artwork and just had the tracklisting where each track became a download as and when the song became available so I had the album before it was released but still ran to buy it like an excited child on its release day anyway :) good times.

bouncingcoles
05-05-2012, 10:03 AM
The CO1 site was the shit. It had professional pics from like every show they played on that tour.

code_blue
05-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Oxy, you're really bringing back memories for me! Maybe it was because I was 14 at the time, but I recall so much excitement in the months leading up to Americana's release on November 17, 1998. Not a Nov 17 has passed that I haven't thought to myself, "Shit, has it really been XX years?!"

I too remember downloading Whitebandit's Pretty Fly wav file (if memory serves, the lyrics were "instead she got FAT and had a couple of kids" instead of "dropped out"). It was certainly perceived as different, but it didn't receive the "love it or loathe it" polarizing reception that we're seeing with Cruisin' California.

We were all hoping Americana would do reasonably well and at least enable the band to maintain their Ixnay popularity levels and not fade into obscurity. But no one expected Americana to reach the level of success that it did - the stars aligned perfectly and the Offspring were one of the biggest rock bands on the planet in late '98 and throughout '99.

The lead-up to C01 was pretty cool, too - the whole Napster thing got them some great press, along with the million dollar fan contest on MTV (although the winner wasn't a "real fan"...). Was a bummer that they didn't end up releasing the whole album online like they wanted to, and certainly Original Prankster and the album in general were disappointing. Remember the mini-firestorm Greg K set off about the band's possible break-up?

To respond to Llama's comments about the band caring about their fans ... as a long-time fan who's seen them live countless times, I feel like their performances in recent years have been kinda lazy in terms of set list/length, and really lacking in fan interaction. Dexter's energy and interest levels certainly aren't what they used to be. But these Ignition shows are promising - hope this means they'll be incorporating more old stuff into their sets this time around, and mixing up their sets a bit more, too.

generalpike
05-06-2012, 01:06 AM
I remember when I was 13 staying up late and watching MTV, they use to constantly play the music videos Float On by Modest Mouse and Hit That... Americana as an album got me listening to the band but Splinter was my real "take off" to the fan I am today

TheJakes84
05-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I was 14 years old when I first discovered Americana. Felt in love with the music video of The Kids Aren't Alright. :o Been a fan ever since.

dexter85
05-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Oxy, you're really bringing back memories for me! Maybe it was because I was 14 at the time, but I recall so much excitement in the months leading up to Americana's release on November 17, 1998. Not a Nov 17 has passed that I haven't thought to myself, "Shit, has it really been XX years?!"

I too remember downloading Whitebandit's Pretty Fly wav file (if memory serves, the lyrics were "instead she got FAT and had a couple of kids" instead of "dropped out"). It was certainly perceived as different, but it didn't receive the "love it or loathe it" polarizing reception that we're seeing with Cruisin' California.

We were all hoping Americana would do reasonably well and at least enable the band to maintain their Ixnay popularity levels and not fade into obscurity. But no one expected Americana to reach the level of success that it did - the stars aligned perfectly and the Offspring were one of the biggest rock bands on the planet in late '98 and throughout '99.

The lead-up to C01 was pretty cool, too - the whole Napster thing got them some great press, along with the million dollar fan contest on MTV (although the winner wasn't a "real fan"...). Was a bummer that they didn't end up releasing the whole album online like they wanted to, and certainly Original Prankster and the album in general were disappointing. Remember the mini-firestorm Greg K set off about the band's possible break-up?

To respond to Llama's comments about the band caring about their fans ... as a long-time fan who's seen them live countless times, I feel like their performances in recent years have been kinda lazy in terms of set list/length, and really lacking in fan interaction. Dexter's energy and interest levels certainly aren't what they used to be. But these Ignition shows are promising - hope this means they'll be incorporating more old stuff into their sets this time around, and mixing up their sets a bit more, too.

That was a very interesting post! Personally I joined the forum/began visiting the website regularly about a year after the Americana-release. I used a 56k modem to download a few Realplayer live-videos and the video of Noodles' Bloodstains solo. I think it took about 90 minutes to download a 5 mb Self Esteem live video which I saw over and over again.
Then all the fuzz about the upcoming CO1 album began and I read all the news and rumours of the album. I remember there were rumours about the track list and the album being titled "Top of the Hill" or something? It was really exciting because it was my first time looking forward to an album being released. However, I don't remember what people on the forum were saying about the songs when they came out. Perhaps I wasn't part of the online community at that time.
I also remember when the video for OP came out and practically all the guys in my class saw it before I did. I actually miss those times when you couldn't just download a song or video or see it on Youtube whenever you wanted to. There was something very special about seeing an Offspring video on MTV or hearing it on the radio. Offspring was quite popular here in Denmark in the Americana and CO1-era.

Britpunk
05-07-2012, 04:24 PM
I remember a handful of the track names leaked first and I thought 'Pretty Fly' as a song title was a bit weird - i had no idea what the term meant so in my head I envisioned some weird abstract Jane's Addiction type vibe.

I can't remember whether I first heard the wav through theoffspring.net, delirium's site, or oxy's, but while i thought it was a bit different, i liked it. I seem to recall most people back on the chat seemed to.

Ixnay had already prepared us for Dexter's experimentation, what with Me and My Old Lady, I Choose and Don't Pick It Up etc. so something a bit left-field was only a minor surprise for me. I certainly don't recall a weird or major backlash, but then the internet wasn't so crammed full of self-entitled cry babies back then.

I also think the band had already had their 'sell out' tag worn out after Smash went so huge and they signed to columbia - so those of us who were around had weathered all that BS and were mostly just keen to hear new stuff.