PDA

View Full Version : Vacation: Londen or Edinburgh

chris9012
05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
So, I'm planning my 2012 summer-vacation. I want to go to London (to late for the concert) or Edinburgh, or both. So who can tell me where to go, and why?

Jojan
05-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Depends on what you want to do. If you choose London, you can stay there for you whole vacation. Especially if you like big cities (museums, shopping, etc.).

If you go to Edinburgh, you really ought to have a trip around Scotland to see the nice landscape.

Tijs
05-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Jojan stop being a sarcastic ass.

Wait.. what just happened?

Alison
05-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Much prefer Edinburgh to London, but it depends. I guess London is a bit buzzier.
I just loved the historical aspects of Edinburgh. It's a beautiful place, plus it's small enough, so easy to get around. Also managed to stay in a pretty cheap apartment which looked out onto the castle.

jacknife737
05-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Both cities are fantastic. You could spend a month in London and not do everything, but Edinburgh is pretty much my favorite city in the world - its the perfect blend of history, beautiful scenery, and amazing pubs.

I'd say go to Edinburgh if you want a more relaxed trip, and London if you want constant stimulation.

Another thing to keep in mind is that London is going to be evermore insane than usual due to the Olympics, which also means that everything will be more expensive than usual, particularly accommodations.

chris9012
05-05-2012, 07:10 AM
I just ordered tickets for Edinburgh. I'll be there for 8 days in June.
So, what to see?

Alison
05-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Go see the castle anyway.

When I was there I went on an over 18's ghost tour, which was pretty cool. I was really freaked out I will admit. But even if you don't find it scary, the tour guides are funny, and you get to go to a pub located in some underground cellars afterwards, which was really cool.
Mostly I just walked about looking at the architecture and enjoying the atmosphere. I wish I'd had more time there.

Keep in mind, you have to have ID, even if you're in a pub during the day and not even ordering alcohol. Unless you look old enough I guess.

chris9012
05-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Keep in mind, you have to have ID, even if you're in a pub during the day and not even ordering alcohol. Unless you look old enough I guess.

I'll be ordering alcohol for sure!

jacknife737
05-05-2012, 10:10 AM
First thing to do, take a free walking tour - these dudes are the best http://www.newedinburghtours.com/daily-tours/new-edinburgh-free-tour.html it's aimed at younger people (20s-early 30s): and the guides are a great source for where to eat/drink/see, ect

-Hang out on the Royal Mile and the rest of Old Town
-Edinburgh Castle
-Scotch Whiskey tasting tour/"experience".
-Take the train to Glasgow (like 45min away) and check it out.
-Craigmillar Castle

As for pubs: i've been to a few of these: all pretty nice
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/oct/12/top-10-pubs-bars-edinburgh

Blackball_
05-05-2012, 01:11 PM
edinburgh in 4 words.... junkies poofs trannys hoors.

id recommend you get the hell out anywhere in scotland that they try to pass off as civilization and head in to the highlands :)