PDA

View Full Version : In Response to Common Complaints

Mojo
05-05-2012, 11:26 AM
I am a 27 year old Offspring fan. *I remember jumping around to an Ignition cassette tape with my friends in elementary school. *They have been one of my favorite bands throughout most of their career. *And yes, I love their old stuff, as well as the new. *I don't even know their average fan demographic anymore, but people need to realize they've changed and stop asking for "the old stuff." It is just that; old stuff. *It cannot and will not be replicated. *It will also not dissapear. *So if you want to hear it, then put the old albums on. *It irks me when people say "where's the old offspring?". They are coming out of your speakers whenever you want them too.

And about Bumping' In My Trunk, there have been poppy, "controversial" songs among fans on every album since 1998. *So I'm not surprised by this at all. *Yeah, it's probably the poppiest song they've made, but so was Pretty Fly at the time, and I remember the reaction being the same. *And then when CO1 came out, they appeared on TRL to promote Original Prankster. *So anyone who is actually surprised by Bumpin in my Trunk has failed to pay attention to the Offspring for quite some time now. *It's one song, hate it or love it, just stop over-analyzing it.

tylercosgrove1989
05-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Well said. I happen to love the song, but even if I didn't I know that I would understand what they were doing. People are living in the past too much. I mean shit, build a fucking time machine if you want their new album to be Smash. Otherwise no one is forcing you to listen to their new album or any individual songs from the album.

randman21
05-05-2012, 11:38 AM
This honestly didn't need a new thread. I would like to keep all discussion of opinions of that song in that thread with the hundreds of posts, so it's easy to avoid. The conversation just goes in circles, and on top of all of this being said before, neither side really understands the other.

My Name Was Taken
05-05-2012, 11:47 AM
This honestly didn't need a new thread. I would like to keep all discussion of opinions of that song in that thread with the hundreds of posts, so it's easy to avoid.

Exactly. Lol. I have my opinion about the song, and there are those who have theirs. No matter how much they argue their side, i'm still going to feel how I feel. I'd rather just not be involved in the conversation.

Oxygene
05-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Amen brother... amen.

Mojo
05-05-2012, 01:28 PM
This honestly didn't need a new thread. I would like to keep all discussion of opinions of that song in that thread with the hundreds of posts, so it's easy to avoid. The conversation just goes in circles, and on top of all of this being said before, neither side really understands the other.

My post says nothing about my opinion of the song, nor does it talk about taking 'sides.' It also addresses another common complaint unrelated to any specific song. If it doesn't interest you or it's been said, then move on. This post "honestly didn't need" your reply either, but you made one.

ThunderPX
05-05-2012, 06:15 PM
The difference is that Pretty Fly, Original Prankster and Hit That all included elements of The Offspring's signature style, not to mention their sense of humour. Cruising California sounds like it's played entirely straight and makes no attempt to make fun of its subject matter or marry it with the band's general style. This makes it a terrible song in the vein of the terrible songs that everyone is sick of by this point, and I'm embarrassed for the band that they released it, and embarrassed for myself because The Offspring is my favourite band.

* Also I'm not sure why you add an asterisk to the beginning of every sentence,

samseby
05-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Interesting to see that they're doing "Ignition-shows" then ;)
Well, maybe they just finished building their own time machine :)

randman21
05-06-2012, 08:26 AM
My post says nothing about my opinion of the song, nor does it talk about taking 'sides.' It also addresses another common complaint unrelated to any specific song. If it doesn't interest you or it's been said, then move on. This post "honestly didn't need" your reply either, but you made one.
Umm, sorry you can't handle very, very mild criticism. All I was saying is that nothing in your original post was new. Every single thing had been said in the big thread already.

The difference is that Pretty Fly, Original Prankster and Hit That all included elements of The Offspring's signature style, not to mention their sense of humour. Cruising California sounds like it's played entirely straight and makes no attempt to make fun of its subject matter or marry it with the band's general style. This makes it a terrible song in the vein of the terrible songs that everyone is sick of by this point, and I'm embarrassed for the band that they released it, and embarrassed for myself because The Offspring is my favourite band.

THIS. So this. I'm starting to accept the song for what it is, but my original gripe with the song was that it was too on the nose. No sense of irony at all. An Offspring fan would have to be an idiot to not expect some pop in any given song. I love pop (def. not today's pop, but that's a personal preference). But I just felt like is not uniquely Offspring, and could have been made by any of those artists I hate today.

*Yeah, it's probably the poppiest song they've made, but so was Pretty Fly at the time, and I remember the reaction being the same.
This is a very valid point, but at the time, those were trupunx jackasses who were upset that the band had released something remotely pop sounding. But as ThunderPX said, Pretty Fly still had a very strong Offspring sound, and didn't sound like anything else on the radio. To me, CC would not be a modern-day equivalent of Pretty Fly. It would be more akin to putting out something that sounds like "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls, which was as poppy as you could get in 1998.

I will say that I laugh my ass off every time I hear the song, so I am starting to get the song, maybe.

Llamas
05-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Umm, sorry you can't handle very, very mild criticism. All I was saying is that nothing in your original post was new. Every single thing had been said in the big thread already.
Whoa, I think that's the meanest I've ever seen you ;) ;)

THIS. So this. I'm starting to accept the song for what it is, but my original gripe with the song was that it was too on the nose. No sense of irony at all. An Offspring fan would have to be an idiot to not expect some pop in any given song. I love pop (def. not today's pop, but that's a personal preference). But I just felt like is not uniquely Offspring, and could have been made by any of those artists I hate today.
I've been refraining from getting into further discussion about loving/hating the song because the polarized fighting is too obnoxious and I don't care about the song enough to get into the long-winded rants Oxy and Camila were getting in :P BUT I just want to say, this is pretty much the one thing that holds me back from really lying back and enjoying the song. I think I said it before, but it bears repeating: I feel like the Offspring intentionally wrote it as a straight-forward pop gem that the masses would instantly eat up, hoping that they could get one last jump in their career, but slipped in just enough irony and humor so that the old fans could be appeased. They can say, "See, it's a joke - relax, you guys," even though it's entirely NOT obviously a joke when you first hear it - and they know the masses won't realize it's a joke. But I still maintain that OP was just as bad (though in slightly different ways), and I made it through that song by just. not. listening to it. ;)

This is a very valid point, but at the time, those were trupunx jackasses who were upset that the band had released something remotely pop sounding. But as ThunderPX said, Pretty Fly still had a very strong Offspring sound, and didn't sound like anything else on the radio. To me, CC would not be a modern-day equivalent of Pretty Fly. It would be more akin to putting out something that sounds like "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls, which was as poppy as you could get in 1998.

Heh, but I still wouldn't say Cruisin' California is without the Offspring rock element. They may not be super prominent, but the bones of the chorus is electric guitar - Black Eyed Peas and Katy Perry just do digital/electronic music. Plus, punk was super popular then, with all kinds of those bands in the mainstream at the time, so they didn't HAVE to remove as much of the rock to fit in to the mainstream as they do now.

tylercosgrove1989
05-06-2012, 01:46 PM
randman had a point though. No one is going to be able to convince the other side to change their minds so it's a pointless argument. I guess I'm just glad I'm on the side that likes it because the other side seems really pissed off.

Rooster
05-06-2012, 04:21 PM
As much as I was shocked the first time I heard the song, now I don't really care about it. I'm not terribly disappointed they made it or anything. It's a mildly fun pop song, worth a few chuckles. No harm done.

And don't get me wrong, Mojo, nothing against you and yes, stopping over-analysing the song would be a good idea, because discussing this any more equals to driving a road roller over a dead horse. But starting a new thread about the song wasn't the best idea to stop people over-analysing it.

By the way, welcome to the forum :)

danitanev
05-07-2012, 12:39 AM

Well I disagree with You - Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk) is a nice and fun song it sounds a bit different but still it's The Offspring and I like it - nothing embarrassing to me! I prefer too songs like The Kids Aren't Alright, Bad Habit, Million Miles Away, The Meaning Of Life, All I Want, etc., but If the band decided to put in front this song then I give full support to them and this song! :)

XYlophonetreeZ
05-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Some thoughts:

Firstly, there is no question about whether the song was supposed to be "funny." Of course it was. I mean, it contains the line "She's waving her caboose at you, you sneeze, achoo, she calls you out, mm-hmm!" I think it is safe to say that Dexter is not actually describing a typical day in the OC for him.

A more legitimate question, and one that a lot of people are asking, is, "Is this entire song a joke?" As in, both the music and the lyrics are one big joke? To, as they say, "take the piss" out of it?

Right now, I'm seeing two warring factions: the "OMG they r trying to be Katy Perry! Wheres the punk?!?! Moar punk?!?! I Punk!" crowd, and the "HA! I know my old buddies the Offspring, they've just been original pranksters their whole career! They're just being snarky and making a crappy pop song to show that all pop music is crap! I'm so hipster I invented irony, so I know it when I see it!" crowd.

You're both wrong.

What I suspect is that this song was just the result of mucho dicking around. I spent several years of my teens in a """"""""""""""band"""""""""""""" and our recording sessions consisted solely of dicking around. All of 'em. And it was tons of fun.

My theory is that Dexter was listening to the radio one day or something and heard all of these fun summer pop songs about California. One day he thought "Hey, we're from California! I feel kind of left out. I bet I could write one of those songs!" So he started writing one and just had fun with the lyrics. They came out ridiculous and silly, but they all probably had a good laugh about it in the studio. My point is that I think they just recorded the natural "pop song" that Dexter wrote without really worrying about how it might affect their image. They're releasing it as a single because it probably really does have one of the best chances on the record (not that we've heard it all yet) to be a hit.

One more point I'll make- those Katy Perry-type pop songs don't just objectively "suck." Plenty of people listen to them, and they get in your head. You can't just give this song a couple of listens and go "HA! I get it! They're totally writing a parody of modern pop songs because they're lame and they suck and they want to prove anyone can do it!" That's kind of a pretentious attitude, and what's more, you're assuming that the Offspring are being pretentious, which they never have been in the least. Yes, they did songs like "Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)," "Original Prankster," and "Hit That" before, which a lot of people are using as examples for why "Cruising California" is a "joke."

Let's clear this up: Pretty Fly wasn't a joke, it just had jokes IN it. "They didn't have Ice Cube, so he bought Vanilla Ice" is a joke. The entire song is not, as is explained in the first verse ("Our subject isn't cool, but he fakes it anyway.") "Cool to Hate" would be a much better example of an entire song that's entirely sarcastic.

"Hit That," especially, was not a joke. It was a pretty straightforward social commentary.

I still have no fucking clue what "Original Prankster" was supposed to be about.

Cruising California is a silly, fun, lighthearted pop song. But I don't really think you can quite call it a "parody" of pop music. Or at least not a snarky or pretentious one, which is actually what many fans seem to want it to be.

I get what you're saying, I think? I'm not quite sure if you're talking about the music or the lyrics. If you're talking about the music, then you're right, they're not making fun of the music. The song's just not for you and you should probably get over it.

If you're talking about the lyrics, however, I sort of understand what you're saying. There isn't really a "wink, wink" line to hint at anything like the "Our subject isn't cool..." in Pretty Fly. But again, I think that the entirety of the lyric is so ridiculous that you'd be kind of stupid to think they were serious. Would anyone ever think Dexter is a "balla" to begin with? And also, I think they were just having fun. These were probably just the lyrics that Dexter came up with for Project Pop Song or whatever, and he didn't care to filter out any and all possible sources of criticism. Should he have? I don't really know. The song does contain some elements that seem semi-relevant to the band specifically (Ramones quote, specifically shouting out their hometown of Huntington Beach), but I don't really think that's enough to draw the conclusion that Dexter actually wants us to believe that a typical day in the OC for him involves bumpin' in his trunk while girls in g-strings wave their cabooses at him. At least, I hope not. If I'm wrong about that then I'll refer Dexter to the midlife crisis hotline right away, but something tells me that he'll be OK.

EDIT: I don't mean to attack any specific person on this forum and I can't even remember who's arguing for which sides of the debate. In fact, I think that at least half of what I'm ranting about originated from comments on Youtube rather than on here.

ThunderPX
05-07-2012, 06:45 AM
I get what you're saying, I think? I'm not quite sure if you're talking about the music or the lyrics. If you're talking about the music, then you're right, they're not making fun of the music. The song's just not for you and you should probably get over it.

If you're talking about the lyrics, however, I sort of understand what you're saying. There isn't really a "wink, wink" line to hint at anything like the "Our subject isn't cool..." in Pretty Fly. But again, I think that the entirety of the lyric is so ridiculous that you'd be kind of stupid to think they were serious. Would anyone ever think Dexter is a "balla" to begin with? And also, I think they were just having fun. These were probably just the lyrics that Dexter came up with for Project Pop Song or whatever, and he didn't care to filter out any and all possible sources of criticism. Should he have? I don't really know. The song does contain some elements that seem semi-relevant to the band specifically (Ramones quote, specifically shouting out their hometown of Huntington Beach), but I don't really think that's enough to draw the conclusion that Dexter actually wants us to believe that a typical day in the OC for him involves bumpin' in his trunk while girls in g-strings wave their cabooses at him. At least, I hope not. If I'm wrong about that then I'll refer Dexter to the midlife crisis hotline right away, but something tells me that he'll be OK.

I guess that makes sense. I suppose the real problem is that a lot of pop lyrics are really already that ridiculous and unbelievable. I'm not trying to be all cool and trupunx or anything... it's really kind of sad that it's this hard to tell the difference.

Little_Miss_1565
05-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Treez's post is mad long, so I won't quote the parts I agree with here because I'd just end up quoting the whole thing. +1, A++++++++ would buy again.

dff_punk
05-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Whoa, while there are some really good arguments here, it's really unbelievable how much effort is made to analyze this specific song, perhaps even more than the effort that was made by Dexter when writing this song.

Less talkin', moar bumpin' in my trunk.

keonii7
05-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Whoa, while there are some really good arguments here, it's really unbelievable how much effort is made to analyze this specific song, perhaps even more than the effort that was made by Dexter when writing this song.

Less talkin', moar bumpin' in my trunk.

Agreed on both points. Less everything in the world, more bumpin' in my trunk.

Lord Phidias
05-07-2012, 10:35 AM
But I still maintain that OP was just as bad (though in slightly different ways), and I made it through that song by just. not. listening to it. ;)

I actually like OP, it is the song that got me into them, I was 12 at the time, and really liked the riff and the "punchy" guitar, I actually used to play it with my hobby Offspring tribute band, then got into the old stuff and then The Offspring became my favourite band, after buying Ignition and Smash, I sorta liked Splinter when it came out, after some years I really enjoyed it, and now I like it more than ever, even Hit That, I LOVED RAFRAG, I used to hear it everyday, twice, for a year, now I listen to some songs from time to time, but Idiotic in my Trunk completely lacks any resemblance to The Offspring... I still feel cheated, because this is completely different to Pretty Fly, WDYGAJ?, Original Prankster, Hit That, YGGFK... this is crap. If it was a joke, it was a very bad joke, if it was an attempt to come back to the mainstream, it's a very sad attempt, something more Hit That-ish would've been better...

---EDIT---

Now I read the complete thread, the thread about the song is too long and won't read it, but the reason I feel cheated is because the "connection" and the "love" I have for the band... when you love someone, or care too much, for any reason, you do expect something from that person, you don't want your kids to misbehave, you don't want your best friend to do drugs... I don't know, these are very bad examples, but I really don't want nor expect The Offspring to record a song that just by itself, disregarding the context and whatever, sounds like shit.

It's just like when Load and Reload came out, a lot of fans felt betrayed. I like these albums a lot because even if those doesn't sound like old school Metallica, they sound pretty good (in my opinion, of course). But not Crappin' in my Trunk. It is awful, can't listen to it yet without feeling something's wrong... it's something from the gut, I really feel annoyed by the song, I don't like it and it hurts me because the Offspring is still my favorite band, it has nothing to do with the trupunx arguments, I like all their pop songs, but this is unhearable.

I don't know if someone feels and thinks like I do...

jacknife737
05-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Treez's post is mad long, so I won't quote the parts I agree with here because I'd just end up quoting the whole thing. +1, A++++++++ would buy again.

Backed.

10 characters

Mark Rooster
05-14-2012, 10:26 PM
So far, in regards to the new album, I'm a little concerned. Offspring is my favorite band, and I love everything they've done, but Days Go By and Cruising California are definitely not two of their best songs. I can't imagine them putting out a mediocre album, because every previous one has been incredible, but these two singles make me kind of nervous.

GamerKT
05-14-2012, 10:50 PM
So far, in regards to the new album, I'm a little concerned. Offspring is my favorite band, and I love everything they've done, but Days Go By and Cruising California are definitely not two of their best songs. I can't imagine them putting out a mediocre album, because every previous one has been incredible, but these two singles make me kind of nervous.

Listen to The Future Is Now, and you won't be nervous anymore.

Mark Rooster
05-15-2012, 09:22 AM
I think I'm going to wait for the album's release to hear any more of it. I like to go in as fresh as possible, and only just broke down and listened to Cruising California yesterday. I'll just trust that since it's the Offspring I'm going to like it; as I said, they have yet to disappoint me with an album.