PDA

View Full Version : Morality/Conviction

bighead384
05-07-2012, 12:22 PM
It's important to be a good enough person for relationships with others. Many other ideas of morality are harder and harder for me to take too seriously anymore.

I generally try to do good. I don't do anything conniving. But when the pressures of life add up, I find myself more and more ok with giving into temptations.

To be honest, the way I kind of justify this is by thinking that: If everyone had the same moral standards and conviction that I do, we'd all be just fine. Really. Furthermore, what good does it do you or anyone to be more moral than this? I'm quite curious about that.

Jojan
05-07-2012, 02:45 PM
It's important to be a good enough person for relationships with others.

Why, and for whom?

rachaelhart
05-07-2012, 09:07 PM
I guess most of us think that moral convictions are a good thing. I bet most of us think that what this world really needs is MORE moral conviction. Perhaps. What I want to talk about are the dangers of moral convictions.

Isolated Fury
05-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Now that's weird.

A bot makes a post that both contributes to the conversation AND avoids all advertising.

WebDudette
05-08-2012, 06:52 AM
bighead, I may be sleep deprived, but your comment seems extremely vague and I'm not sure what we're supposed to be discussing.

Camilamazed
05-08-2012, 08:46 AM
It's important to be a good enough person for relationships with others.

Nope. I had always been very good and a lot of people fucked up big time. As I get older, I get grouchier and do not allow bullshit. For a good relationship with others you need to be true to yourself. Those who cannot stand that are the ones who are not worth it. My mind these days goes like this: If you like me, good. If you don't, your loss.

Being good is to mainstream.

Llamas
05-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Now that's weird.

A bot makes a post that both contributes to the conversation AND avoids all advertising.

They're getting smarter: make account, start posting like a normal person, become accepted as a member, use this as grounds to spam the ever-loving shit outta this place.

bighead, I may be sleep deprived, but your comment seems extremely vague and I'm not sure what we're supposed to be discussing.

Morals. Duh. :cool:

Nope. I had always been very good and a lot of people fucked up big time. As I get older, I get grouchier and do not allow bullshit. For a good relationship with others you need to be true to yourself. Those who cannot stand that are the ones who are not worth it. My mind these days goes like this: If you like me, good. If you don't, your loss.

Being good is to mainstream.

There's an important balance between living for yourself and living for others. I took this empathy test (http://glennrowe.net/BaronCohen/EmpathyQuotient/EmpathyQuotient.aspx) not too long ago, and it's interesting. Too little empathy, and you're a sociopath. Too much empathy, and you're a stress-bomb who can't enjoy life. My score was just a few points above the average for women. Of course, online tests should be taken with a grain of salt, but there's some truth to this one. Gotta find that balance.

Isolated Fury
05-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah... I don't know if I trust that empathy test. I scored five points higher than a high-functioning autistic person. I could be just kidding myself, and that's what my score should be. I guess it would be hard to tell how empathetic you are if you really are that way. I'm going to go ahead and say it's wrong, though.