PDA

View Full Version : Stressticles

Isolated Fury
05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I've never really looked into it. I've never really wanted to or had a reason to look into it. But how unhealthy is stress? Like a lot of stress. Like your chest is caving in kind of stress. I know ads for bullshit shittery say that "THIS'LL REDUCE STRESS'N'SHIT" (among other perks and side effects - explolosive diarrhea). But how exactly does that help people? I understand that, yeah, you'll be generally happier and everything. But what else? Am I going to have a seizure if I don't control my stress? Stroke? Heart att... Ok, I know you can have a heart attack. But at what point does it get to that stage? How do I know if I'll have a heart attack if I experience one more milliliter (how do you measure this fucking shit) of stress?

Any info. Helpful. Lazy. Don't want to look it up.

Little_Miss_1565
05-10-2012, 05:42 PM
If you're not sleeping at night, you're super irritable, and you have elevated blood pressure from stress, those are all super bad things that can lead to health conditions that can lead to death. But you basically don't know you're doing damage to yourself until the damage is done, so it's better to avoid it. That is, avoid the high levels of stress. A little stress can be helpful with the getting of things done. A lot of stress will literally kill you.

Not to mention that people who are super stressed out all the time SUPER SUCK to be around. I have first hand experience with this. Conquering my stress made me a significantly more awesome person.

Isolated Fury
05-10-2012, 05:49 PM
How can you tell if you're stressed, though? It sounds like a really really really retarded question, but you're also talking to someone who doesn't know when he's hungry. Sleep is whatever. Irritability is more of a third-person verdict rather than my own. I don't know how/don't want to waste the time it take to take my blood pressure. So is there a simpler way (I know... "How much more basic do you want this, dumb shit?") to tell?

Little_Miss_1565
05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
If you don't know, and your body isn't deteriorating for reasons you can't put a finger on, you're probably fine.

Isolated Fury
05-10-2012, 09:13 PM
115 lbs., shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat a lot, hand shakeys, and an uncommon trend of
Drinking.

Ps I'm drunk.

Little_Miss_1565
05-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Do you drink a lot of coffee? Also, when you say an uncommon trend of drinking, how much are you drinking?

Isolated Fury
05-10-2012, 09:44 PM
One cup of coffee a day. Drinking like I don't drink. Ever. Then I drink
Way too much. I hate drinking.

Isolated Fury
05-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Oh. How much? I weigh 115 lbs. It doesn't take a lot
To gett drunk. Most I'll drink is five. But I can't drive
Home
After.

Little_Miss_1565
05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Reading your other replies here tonight, I get the feeling that a lot of the symptoms you describe may be due to the booze. That's a lot of booze for someone who weights 115 lbs.

T-6005
05-10-2012, 10:31 PM
If you don't know, and your body isn't deteriorating for reasons you can't put a finger on, you're probably fine.

You're in iffy territory there. Stress can also build up so that it's almost imperceptible to people who don't know any different, and these are usually the people who believe that they can 'handle' stress. Take that and bloom it into a cultural phenomenon and you end up with Karoshi and crazy shit like that.

Every is different with regards to stress - some people talk about it and complain incessantly and worry and fret and freak out, and those are all in the end methods of release for people who don't know how else to open the main shutoff valve. But there are people for whom it slowly builds up, who accept overwork and burden as a lifestyle and who suddenly find themselves down a stroke or two at the age of thirty.

It's a weird thing. But no matter which kind of stressor you are, you still have recourses. You can sublimate your desires through physical exercise and plenty of downtime. You can minimize the time that you spend in stressful situations. I hear diet can also be a massive component. If you're simply in a structural stressful environment, you can seek to minimize its impact or isolate which elements of it are causing the most significant impact and target those.

If you can't tell if you're stressed and you're worried about it? Sounds pretty stressful to me, man. But it's not necessarily a horrible thing. Take stock of what you do with your time, and think about whether or not you can organize (or de-organize) that to have more downtime. And drinking's not all bad - people can use it to unwind without signing their death warrants. It's all about how you balance your life. If you like what you do, or at least enjoy something you do, it'll go a long way towards helping that.

Just eighty-five cents from a guy who doesn't particularly identify as a stressed-out maniac but who has a lot of pressures in his life.

T-6005
05-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Oh. How much? I weigh 115 lbs. It doesn't take a lot
To gett drunk. Most I'll drink is five. But I can't drive
Home
After.

You're too drunk
So you can't drive home
Don't you drive

Degstur Lolland
05-10-2012, 11:05 PM
You're too stressed
So you can't drive home
Don't you strive

Lord Phidias
05-10-2012, 11:12 PM
i've never really looked into it. I've never really wanted to or had a reason to look into it. But how unhealthy is stress? Like a lot of stress. Like your chest is caving in kind of stress. I know ads for bullshit shittery say that "this'll reduce stress'n'shit" (among other perks and side effects - explolosive diarrhea). But how exactly does that help people? I understand that, yeah, you'll be generally happier and everything. But what else? Am i going to have a seizure if i don't control my stress? Stroke? Heart att... Ok, i know you can have a heart attack. But at what point does it get to that stage? How do i know if i'll have a heart attack if i experience one more milliliter (how do you measure this fucking shit) of stress?

Any info. Helpful. Lazy. Don't want to look it up.

y u no use my support group thread shit?!

T-6005
05-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Just pulling your balls, bro. Like a real bro. Softly, but also firmly.

killer_queen
05-11-2012, 01:54 AM
The best way to know if you're stressed or not is to check the growing speed of your fingernails and hair. Fingernails are easier to check of course. They must grow 0.02 inches a week; if it's slower than that there's a good chance you are under stress.

Have you ever noticed how your hair and nails grow so fast when you're on vacation? I always thought something about warm weather and being at seaside somehow helped that. Turns out the reason was feeling relaxed.

And I know you all are going to roll your eyes at this because it's the kind of things women talk about at hair dressers but I really believe it's true: constantly thinking about it usually makes you more stressed. If you refuse to see a doctor and be treated there's nothing much you can do except trying to relax.

Defender
05-11-2012, 02:28 AM
How can you tell if you're stressed, though?

These are some of the symptoms:

Cognitive symptoms

Memory problems
Inability to concentrate
Poor judgment
Pessimistic approach or thoughts
Anxious or racing thoughts
Constant worrying

Emotional symptoms

Moodiness
Irritability or short temper
Agitation, inability to relax
Feeling overwhelmed
Sense of loneliness and isolation
Depression or general unhappiness

Physical symptoms

Aches and pains
Diarrhea or constipation
Nausea, dizziness
Chest pain, rapid heartbeat
Loss of sex drive
Frequent colds

Behavioral symptoms

Eating more or less
Sleeping too much or too little
Isolating oneself from others
Procrastinating or neglecting responsibilities
Using alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs to relax
Nervous habits (e.g. nail biting, pacing)

Isolated Fury
05-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Reading your other replies here tonight, I get the feeling that a lot of the symptoms you describe may be due to the booze. That's a lot of booze for someone who weights 115 lbs.
Yeah, I started this thread a half hour before I started drinking last night.

Big post
Probably the best response so far. I'll touch each subject lightly. I can't really diet. Granted, I've never tried, but I have a hard time telling when I'm hungry to begin with. I think putting a regimen in there would be a little pointless. A lot of people would probably disagree since it's a set time to eat a set food in a set amount, but I probably can't do it. I can't really maximize downtime and minimize stressful situations. I work six days a week. I go home to my daughter in need (we're working on potty training). Every Wednesday evening I get to see my lovely ex that fucked me over, cheated on me, and left me with a fuck-ton of burden. Thursday through Sunday, I sit around wondering what my daughter's doing and counting down the minutes until I get to see her again. No downtime. I legally can't escape the ex-stress. And I don't really drink all that much. One beer a week. Maybe.

Medium post
I've bitten my nails off since I was four years old. I tried stopping. It's harder than you'd think. So I can't really use that as a stress scale.

Ridiculously broad list of symptoms
There is way too much there to hone in on any one single thing. I could say yes to almost all of those. Then again, I feel like anyone can say yes to a lot of them.

killer_queen
05-11-2012, 02:38 PM
I've bitten my nails off since I was four years old. I tried stopping. It's harder than you'd think. So I can't really use that as a stress scale.

You can actually. Nail biting is considered as a reaction to stress, especially if you're having a hard time quitting it. How could Defender missed this in his list?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-12-2012, 06:19 PM
115 lbs
115lbs? Dude, how tall are you? How are you alive? I'm a pretty thin guy, I don't have much upper-body strength at all (I just have fairly dense/large legs), and I go anywhere from 130-137 lbs in a week. I'm not too tall either. I'm like 5'9" or something.

Isolated Fury
05-12-2012, 09:20 PM
115lbs? Dude, how tall are you? How are you alive? I'm a pretty thin guy, I don't have much upper-body strength at all (I just have fairly dense/large legs), and I go anywhere from 130-137 lbs in a week. I'm not too tall either. I'm like 5'9" or something.
I'm about 5'10". I'm really not exaggerating either.

If you want to see a picture of me, just Google image search "concentration camp."

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm about 5'10". I'm really not exaggerating either.

If you want to see a picture of me, just Google image search "concentration camp."
I have a friend like you. He's like 6'2" - 6'3" and about 125lbs or something like that. I guess I can picture it. Do you break your bones often or at all? I can't imagine you being that light unless you have thin bones. If you are healthy, I guess that's all that matters.

Isolated Fury
05-13-2012, 08:29 PM
That's what you'd think, but I've never broken a bone.

WebDudette
05-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Nailbiting is a really shitty habit, I've only just recently stopped, despite trying forever. I actually still fuck with my nails all the time, when they get too long I end up fucking with them so much that I have to clip them. Instead of clipping them though, I trim them down with my teeth, which is probably a terrible idea and may jump start my habit of biting again. I still fuck up the skin around my fingers too, but not nearly as often and not as bad.

Llamas
05-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Nailbiting is a really shitty habit, I've only just recently stopped, despite trying forever. I actually still fuck with my nails all the time, when they get too long I end up fucking with them so much that I have to clip them. Instead of clipping them though, I trim them down with my teeth, which is probably a terrible idea and may jump start my habit of biting again. I still fuck up the skin around my fingers too, but not nearly as often and not as bad.

I don't bite my nails, but I have the same problem, where when they get long, I mess with them all the time. I pick at them and stuff til there's an indent or something and I have to clip them. I get so annoyed at myself for not just leaving them alone.

WebDudette
05-14-2012, 05:20 AM
It's frustrating as shit. While I fuck with them I'm like 'hey, why the fuck don't you just leave them the fuck alone?' and then 2 minutes later I am fucking with them again.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-14-2012, 07:39 PM
That's what you'd think, but I've never broken a bone.
Good job. Neither have I. I dislocated my nose cartilage once with a baseball, but that's about it.

Llamas
05-15-2012, 06:17 AM
It's frustrating as shit. While I fuck with them I'm like 'hey, why the fuck don't you just leave them the fuck alone?' and then 2 minutes later I am fucking with them again.

I noticed as I was reading this post that I was simultaneously messing with my nails again. Awesome. I'm totally the same here. I try to consciously tell myself not to do it, and then it happens again right away.