PDA

View Full Version : Widely accepted "facts" that you doubt or don't understand

XYlophonetreeZ
05-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I have two that I can think of off the top of my head:

-Polar bear fur. Supposedly it's "actually transparent, but only appears white." What? That makes no damn sense. All matter appears certain colors because of the wavelength it reflects or absorbs, and if you put it under a blacklight then it looks different. If it appears white, then it is white- that's what "color" means- it's a distinction of appearance. Fuck polar bears.

-Mauna Kea. "It's actually taller than Mount Everest when measured from its base!!!" Cool, bro, but why are you measuring from its base? You could say that the whole Earth is one big mountain and that its base is the bottom of the Marianas Trench, but no one does that- sea level has always been the topographical "zero" that we measure from. Why does Mauna Kea get to be measured from some other zero? Fuck Mauna Kea.

That's all.

Isolated Fury
05-10-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm not going to read this, but I love you, Treez.

bighead384
05-11-2012, 08:13 AM
I like the idea of this thread.

Well, on the Mauna Kea thing, it's just based on the identifiable mountainyishness of the base of Mauna Kea.

Isolated Fury
05-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Told you I'd read it.

-Polar bear fur. Supposedly it's "actually transparent, but only appears white." What? That makes no damn sense. All matter appears certain colors because of the wavelength it reflects or absorbs, and if you put it under a blacklight then it looks different. If it appears white, then it is white- that's what "color" means- it's a distinction of appearance. Fuck polar bears.
Just in general, fuck polar bears. They're assbags. They aren't as marketable as we're led to believe. They don't like Coca-Cola, Klondike bars, or warm and fluffy Sorel boots. Polar bears enjoy ripping faces off of other living creatures. I'm surprised there are still white polar bears out in the wild. I'd expect them all to be red - stained with the blood of their frosty victims.

-Mauna Kea. "It's actually taller than Mount Everest when measured from its base!!!" Cool, bro, but why are you measuring from its base? You could say that the whole Earth is one big mountain and that its base is the bottom of the Marianas Trench, but no one does that- sea level has always been the topographical "zero" that we measure from. Why does Mauna Kea get to be measured from some other zero? Fuck Mauna Kea.
I kind of feel like you had been drinking when you wrote this part. Or perhaps the entire post.

killer_queen
05-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Evolution. I don't understand why so many people consider this as a "fact". It is stupid of them to think we are related to the apes. I don't think we look like apes, do you? And if there was such thing God would have told us.

Tijs
05-11-2012, 03:01 PM
God. I don't understand why so many people consider this as a "fact". It is stupid of them to think we aren't related to the apes. I think we look like apes, don't you? And if there wasn't such a thing, apes would have told us.

Al Coholic
05-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Books. They're basically just really long descriptions of movies. Who actually bothers? Just go see the movie. Before you go to dinner, do you spend 3 and a half days reading reviews on a particular dish at a restaurant? No, you just go there and say "I'll have the fish tacos sir" and then the waitress brings them to you and you're like sweet, that's done now. What the fuck?

Rooster
05-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Jesus Christ, not the evolution again...

Seriously, after all the evidence we have, why do certain people still maintain that it is just not possible? Basically every fossil is a transitional fossil. Human evolution, from the earliest ape-like ancestors (we aren't descendants of the chimpanzees, but we do share a common ancestor) right to the Homo sapiens is extremely well documented. Just comparing the skulls of different hominids is enough, I could hardly find a better example where the classic transition from species to species can be seen.

And micro and macro evolution are the same thing. The only difference is the time, macro evolution happens over a very long period of time and is gradual, it doesn't happen instantly, which most of creationists tend to simply ignore or don't even try to understand.

For something that is supposed to be "just a theory", theory of evolution has an incredible ammount of evidence supporting it.

Llamas
05-11-2012, 04:32 PM
That Hu needs pants. I just refuse to accept that.

WebDudette
05-11-2012, 04:33 PM
I think she was kidding.

coke_a_holic
05-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Yo, I measure shit from base to peak (also how I measure my diiiii-) because that's how high you have to climb to get to the top from the bottom. Climbing Mt. Everest is pussy shit because you start, like, 3/4 the way to the top; it's like climbing a fucking ladder. Climbing Mauna Kea or K2 is the new hotness because you gotta start at the fucking bottom of the world.

And I've got one word for this thread: fuckin' Magnets.
EDIT: two words.

Al Coholic
05-11-2012, 06:04 PM
http://i2.crtcdn1.net/images/epg/null/WGYC20100506/1_400x300.jpg
<
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOVXtDitcGxkXnf2fiQfFlq2tumPr22 dmVJogFHtK0dW4xp4E-pw

nieh
05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Apparently with mountains there's a distinction between "tallest" and "highest". Mt. Everest is highest because it reaches the highest altitude, but the other one you mentioned I guess is probably the tallest, since it's the greatest distance from base to peak.

killer_queen
05-12-2012, 01:08 AM
I think she was kidding.

I always get this reaction whenever I try to be funny. There was a time a couple of bbs members seriously believed I lost my virginity in an orgy until someone said "I think she was kidding". I guess being funny is not my thing.

But seriously, I have a hard time believing in the fact that you have to have a good breakfast to loose weight. Skipping meals usually works on everyone.

Rooster
05-12-2012, 01:49 AM
I think she was kidding.

Well, I wasn't completely sure. There was something about the post that didn't feel serious, but I decided to respond to it as if it was. You know, just in case. killer_queen, a master of fooling people :p

Because sadly we do have creationists here too, and that makes me a saaaad panda :(

RageAndLov
05-12-2012, 01:58 AM
http://couchslobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/stephenfry_qi_gal.jpg

I have two that I can think of off the top of my head:

That's all.

Actually, if you would shave a polar bear, you would find out that it has black skin, so the transparent thing is completely false.

Rooster
05-12-2012, 03:08 AM
Actually, if you would shave a polar bear, you would find out that it has black skin, so the transparent thing is completely false.

Let me get this straight: so white polar bears are actually... BLACK?

Rooster
05-12-2012, 03:08 AM
Let me get this straight: so white polar bears are actually... BLACK?

Dude, that's RACIST!!!! :mad:

bighead384
05-12-2012, 04:32 PM
This isn't a fact but the widespread idea that leftovers taste better because they "soak up all the juice" or some bullshit...well, it's a fucking a lie.

Llamas
05-12-2012, 06:39 PM
This isn't a fact but the widespread idea that leftovers taste better because they "soak up all the juice" or some bullshit...well, it's a fucking a lie.

I've never heard anyone say this, but if they do, they're wrong. Leftovers suck. I only eat them cause I don't like to waste food.

WebDudette
05-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Some leftovers are a whole different experience than they were the night before. Cold meatloaf sandwiches are the shit, cold hangover pizza is awesome, Thanksgiving frankenwiches are probably the greatest food of all time, and I genuinely feel that some soups, stews, and pasta sauces change a little in flavor as they sit.

Nothing is better than when you're hungry and think you have nothing to eat, but then you see half of that Chipotle burrito from yesterday. It's such a great feeling.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Yo, I measure shit from base to peak (also how I measure my diiiii-) because that's how high you have to climb to get to the top from the bottom. Climbing Mt. Everest is pussy shit because you start, like, 3/4 the way to the top; it's like climbing a fucking ladder. Climbing Mauna Kea or K2 is the new hotness because you gotta start at the fucking bottom of the world.

Even with Mauna Kea, though, like 16,000 ft of it is underwater. I could understand counting all of that if it started below sea level on land, but all that underwater shit is of no practical use to anyone. I've never been there or seen it up close, so I assume that it must have, as bighead said, "mountainyishness" around the base as it slopes into the sea.

Wikipedia actually claims that some mountain in Chile is even taller because it begins at the Atacama Trench, which is about 100 miles offshore. Ya know, Mount Everest is about 417 miles from the Bay of Bengal! And it's about 3,700 miles from the Challenger Deep! Surprisingly, that number is FINITE! Mount Everest is actually 64,829 feet tall!!! And it takes up about 1/6 of the Earth!!!

I guess what I'm tryna say is, the definition of "mountain" is kinda hard to pin down.

But seriously, I have a hard time believing in the fact that you have to have a good breakfast to loose weight. Skipping meals usually works on everyone.
It's hard to take any kind of dietary advice seriously. Back in the early 90s when Americans were introduced to the Food Pyramid, we were supposed to have 6-11 servings of grains per day. Now the trendiest of trendy diet superstars recommend pretty much no grains and absolutely no wheat. Small amounts of wild rice and sweet potatoes are OK. The latest craze is high-fat diets, and fat used to be the axis of nutritional evil. It's kind of paleo's offspring, but the emphasis is more on fat than protein. The guy who popularized this brags about how he eats bacon and eggs for breakfast every single day and has low cholesterol. It's interesting for sure, but it's also a perfect example of why I've always just tried to cut back on overall intake and consume less sugar, rather than subscribe to a rigid diet plan.

Jojan
05-14-2012, 03:43 AM
All of these: http://www.offspring.com/community/showpost.php?p=1460382&postcount=1

personal_loans_1
05-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Electricity. I may know the rules, but I will never fully understand how it works.

Little_Miss_1565
05-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Magnets -- how do they work?

Isolated Fury
05-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Time - Based on the amount of time it takes for information to be processed in your brain, what you experience actually happens moments before you "know" it happened. We're living in the past, dudes. #psychedelicphilosophies

bighead384
05-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Some leftovers are a whole different experience than they were the night before. Cold meatloaf sandwiches are the shit, cold hangover pizza is awesome, Thanksgiving frankenwiches are probably the greatest food of all time, and I genuinely feel that some soups, stews, and pasta sauces change a little in flavor as they sit.

Nothing is better than when you're hungry and think you have nothing to eat, but then you see half of that Chipotle burrito from yesterday. It's such a great feeling.

Fine, but perhaps most of time, it's the colder temperature that you prefer. Not the fact that they're leftover.

Llamas
05-14-2012, 04:36 PM

The half-eaten burrito is a totally different ballpark. Opening the fridge and finding a half-eaten Chipotle burrito is awesome cause Chipotle burritos are awesome. But a cold, leftover Chipotle burrito is better than a fresh one? No way.

Cold, hard pizza is better than fresh, gooey pizza? No way.

Maybe some soups and stews get better after they sit, sure. But there's an appropriate amount of time you're supposed to let them sit before eating. "Leftover" heavily implies past their ideal eating time.

Little_Miss_1565
05-14-2012, 05:03 PM
"Leftover" heavily implies past their ideal eating time.

"Leftover" implies that it was served to people who didn't eat it in its entirety. If it's past the time in which it's ideally eaten, I think that's called "garbage"...

I'm a big proponent of leftovers. It's easier for me to cook a lot of something on Sunday evening and eat it for lunches during the workweek. Healthier and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying lunch every day.

BagOfShenanigans
05-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Water develops a taste when you are really thirsty.

Tap water has a unique taste.

Fancy-ass, French water entices you to urinate more so than any other beverage.

Wile. E. Coyote will never catch the roadrunner.

I just don't understand.

Llamas
05-14-2012, 05:29 PM
"Leftover" implies that it was served to people who didn't eat it in its entirety. If it's past the time in which it's ideally eaten, I think that's called "garbage"...
Nah, if I make two ham and cheese sandwiches, and I don't eat one, I pop it in a tupperware and in the fridge and eat it later. I don't call that "leftovers". But if I cook up two burritos and don't eat one, I pop the other one in the fridge, and that to me IS "leftovers". The ham and cheese sandwich is really no different the next day than it was when I made it, but the burrito is. It wasn't eaten at its ideal time - warm and fresh. That doesn't mean it's expired or bad - just not ideal.

I'm a big proponent of leftovers. It's easier for me to cook a lot of something on Sunday evening and eat it for lunches during the workweek. Healthier and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying lunch every day.

I often make like a liter of spaghetti sauce, which will last a couple weeks. But otherwise, I don't do this. I don't buy lunch every day (definitely not healthy and a waste of money), but if I buy a kilo of chicken breasts, I'll fry one up one day with a slice of cheese, a sliced tomato, some lettuce, and some bread, and make a chicken sandwich... the next day, maybe make some chicken chili with another breast and a couple more tomatoes... etc. I don't buy stuff that only makes one serving (again, agreed that it's a waste of money), but I like it made fresh, so I'd rather do it each day. :)

I didn't use to do this when I lived in the US, strangely... I used to tell myself I didn't have time. Yet I'm busier now than I was then! Ha. I guess I just discovered that I actually enjoy cooking and it's worth it to me to take that time from other parts of my day? I'm not sure. Well, tonight I went for pizza with a couple friends, and I've got a couple slices in the fridge for tomorrow - so I do eat leftovers! ;)

mrconeman
05-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Cold hangover pizza is one of life's little bonuses.

Naturally though, freshly made, warm pizza is better, but it's an entirely different experience and shouldn't really be compared. Cold leftover pizza is also 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x better than pizza that has been reheated.

Degstur Lolland
05-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Fuckin' magnets, fuckin' colors.

I have studied magnets today because of you guys, but I have to write something so everyone can understand it. I'm not entirely comfortable with it, I should study it more, we will see if I pull something out. :D

I think I could tackle polar bear fur issue a bit too, haven't studied it, but I know some examples.

Mountain stuff is a non-issue. Already explained by Nieh. Water? What about clouds or Oxygen getting thinner and thinner. Science/non-practicality, it doesn't really matter when you want to decide something against some parameter and who knows when something gets practical. We live in such a world and some things just stick out. Well, you could do it your way, your own classification, if you have a good reason for it or you are bored. You'd need a new definition of the base and who knows what else...