PDA

View Full Version : DEXTER HOLLAND: "new album is a message of Hope"

RonWelty
05-11-2012, 02:09 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-offsprings-dexter-holland-new-album-is-a-message-of-hope-20120511

_Way_Down_the_Line_
05-11-2012, 02:18 PM
"Part of why I chose 'Days Go By' as the single and the title of the album is because it really kind of shows – not only with me – that the world has been through a shitty few years and it's been really tough on a lot of people," Holland says. "People have really gotten hurt and, at the end of the day, no one's gonna pick you up. You've gotta pick yourself up and figure out how to move on. So I guess acknowledging that it's been tough, but also having a message of hope, is what I really wanted people to take away from this record.

Awesome.

Dexter_italy
05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
wow...they've never been that deep!

Jojan
05-11-2012, 02:25 PM
wow...they've never been that deep!

That's what she said!

effreyj
05-11-2012, 02:37 PM
I have a bad feeling about OC Guns now...

_Way_Down_the_Line_
05-11-2012, 02:41 PM
I have a bad feeling about OC Guns now...

u kidding it maight be the next mota, meaning of life, ixnay on the hombre kind of song !

Supa
05-11-2012, 02:42 PM
June 26th can't come soon enough. Debating over whether or not I want to wait and buy the Japanese version with the bonus track, though.

effreyj
05-11-2012, 02:43 PM
u kidding it maight be the next mota, meaning of life, ixnay on the hombre kind of song !

I hope so...I also have a really bad feeling that Slim Pickens is going to not be a real song.

TeddyBear_Army
05-11-2012, 02:54 PM
I hope so...I also have a really bad feeling that Slim Pickens is going to not be a real song.

ooh, a spoken word track would ve awesome and fresh.

TeddyBear_Army
05-11-2012, 02:59 PM
oh, and apparently oc guns is "spanish tinged". is this the mariachi song, perhaps?

TheOldMark
05-11-2012, 03:36 PM
nice article, i wanna hear more

TheNooseIsFalling
05-11-2012, 04:32 PM
I like this article. Pretty much everything he says, about still enjoying making music, experimenting musically, these last shitty years and days going by makes me admire him even more, and this 'hopeful' concept couldn't be more exciting.
Also,
"Part of why I chose 'Days Go By"
well this is kinda disturbing, I know Dexter has a lot of freedom in the band, but I thought choosing a single would be something Tsar Greg the Terrible has a say in

Little_Miss_1565
05-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Also,
well this is kinda disturbing, I know Dexter has a lot of freedom in the band, but I thought choosing a single would be something Tsar Greg the Terrible has a say in

wait...what? I thought it was well-known at this point that Dexter does (or at least has a hand in) everything the band does?

hshduppsnt
05-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I like this article. Pretty much everything he says, about still enjoying making music, experimenting musically, these last shitty years and days going by makes me admire him even more, and this 'hopeful' concept couldn't be more exciting.
Also,

No it's fairly obvious Dexter makes record choices (remember how he came into last album with Kristy already written)? Tsar Greg makes set list choices and Noodles Drinks.

(hahah at least at the most simplified level)

also thanks for the article. Sounds like they experimented more with this album, can't wait for june 26th

cool 2 hate 681
05-11-2012, 04:36 PM
columbia records has a say in it as well just like making hammerhead the first single

Puschka
05-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Great words, very deep! Can't wait for june 26th

RonWelty
05-11-2012, 06:31 PM
columbia records has a say in it as well just like making hammerhead the first single

or that Hit That video...

Little_Miss_1565
05-11-2012, 06:37 PM
The labels can't do anything without the band and its management saying it's okay, you guys.

Degstur Lolland
05-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah, pretty shitty years, some moderators got kicked and I got banned 1000 times. :D It's worse than the economy crisis. :d No more hope for better dayz. :D

SåS
05-11-2012, 07:15 PM
A band is usually a democracy, i'm sure everybody would of come to terms with the Days Go By, Dexter may have coined it/ come up with the idea, but the band would of liked it or it wouldn't of been used.

nightvision
05-12-2012, 12:05 AM
A band is usually a democracy, i'm sure everybody would of come to terms with the Days Go By, Dexter may have coined it/ come up with the idea, but the band would of liked it or it wouldn't of been used.

Why don't you just throw acid in my eyes? Or just keep writing "would of", the effect is the same.

Dexter_italy
05-12-2012, 12:21 AM

I think the only democracy in the band was the working joke title "chinese democracy". Not that Dexter is a bad guy who tells the others what to do. but he pretty much makes all the songs, the others add their own...

Defender
05-12-2012, 01:18 AM
This point impressed me the most and I agree with it as well:
"I think music is so diverse today and bands are so diverse. If you were a rock band in the Eighties, you kind of had to stick to one thing.
Now, in this age of Coachella and European festivals and stuff, it's kind of anything goes, so that allowed us to try different things"

Dexter clarified that they made experiments and they will keep on doing it.
RAFRAG was an experiment and obviously is the most "new style"-Offspring album. So according to Dex's words, I am expecting a ...weird album; either RAFRAG part 2(RAFRAG is a weird album for me) or something completely different from what they've done till now.
Conclusion: I am expecting something ...great(?)

TheJakes84
05-12-2012, 01:25 AM
"He also has a message that he wants his listeners to embrace. "Part of why I chose 'Days Go By' as the single and the title of the album is because it really kind of shows – not only with me – that the world has been through a shitty few years and it's been really tough on a lot of people," Holland says. "People have really gotten hurt and, at the end of the day, no one's gonna pick you up. You've gotta pick yourself up and figure out how to move on. So I guess acknowledging that it's been tough, but also having a message of hope, is what I really wanted people to take away from this record."

Cheers, Dexter! :cool: Down with The Offspring!

Fucking wow, he really is a sensitive guy and emotionally speaking, this will make folks very hopefull for greater days to come on by in the not-so-distant-future! :)

Thanks for sharing.

jacknife737
05-12-2012, 01:33 AM
Holland is proud of Days Go By, if a bit self-deprecating about its sales potential. "I know no one's gonna buy our album, but I still spend two years trying to make a great record," he says, laughing. "If you're in a band, if it's really what you care about, then that stuff isn't what's important. You can't help the fact that you've got to make something great; it's got to be sequenced right, no matter what."

This is a pretty rad attitude.

Degstur Lolland
05-12-2012, 02:35 AM
"Dexter why do you self-deprecate yourself?" said Degstur Lolland, laughing. :d

I think it's safe to say that the album will sell at least 1 500 000 worldwide or whatever it is with the last couple albums. They have 2.8 mil people on Facebook, but probably not everyone will buy it...however, I'm not on the FB, but I'll buy it so I can call you a sellout. :d

I expect an album on the Ixnay level, maybe they will sell 4 000 000 worldwide.

Also, if you make something great or you sequence it right, then it's gonna sell, so it's connected anyway. Now I wonder what would be fair for them...

RonWelty
05-12-2012, 04:17 AM
"Dexter why do you self-deprecate yourself?" said Degstur Lolland, laughing. :d

I think it's safe to say that the album will sell at least 1 500 000 worldwide or whatever it is with the last couple albums. They have 2.8 mil people on Facebook, but probably not everyone will buy it...however, I'm not on the FB, but I'll buy it so I can call you a sellout. :d

I expect an album on the Ixnay level, maybe they will sell 4 000 000 worldwide.

Also, if you make something great or you sequence it right, then it's gonna sell, so it's connected anyway. Now I wonder what would be fair for them...

looooooooolv ARE YOU dumb?
RAFRAG sold around 500.000-750000 worldwide...

TheNooseIsFalling
05-12-2012, 04:29 AM

It did? I thought it was somewhere around 1,5 million as well, at least that's what Wikipedia said a couple of years ago

Krojd
05-12-2012, 04:34 AM
I will buy the new album just because I want to have them all original. 99,9% sure I'm not the only one who has it this way.

Degstur Lolland
05-12-2012, 04:48 AM
I guess you are missing the USA, yeah, they are part of this world too, sadly. :D :d ARE YOU dumb or wiki's 1,5 mil. was wrong?

TheJakes84
05-12-2012, 05:00 AM
I will support the greatest band ever and purchased their record for my little punk rock collection! :D Hoping they will make a 10th album.

ThunderPX
05-12-2012, 06:17 AM
I guess you are missing the USA, yeah, they are part of this world too, sadly. :D :d ARE YOU dumb or wiki's 1,5 mil. was wrong?

Wikipedia is always right of course

BagOfShenanigans
05-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Wikipedia is always right of course

Wikipedia: Anyone can edit it, everyone will believe it.

TheJakes84
05-12-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't trust the wiki. The offspring info is it actually 1OO% accurate? :confused:

Dexter Holland is one down to earth dude and such a humble soul. :cool:

dff_punk
05-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Beautiful article. I'm looking forward to the OC Guns song, seems like a fun one, I always liked the crazy/odd side of the Offspring, it's one of the things makes them different from the other bands in their genre, glad they still got it!

RonWelty
05-12-2012, 08:42 AM
It did? I thought it was somewhere around 1,5 million as well, at least that's what Wikipedia said a couple of years ago

IN USA 280.000 COPIES. Japan 100.000 and Australia I think it was almost 100.00. In Portugal not even 1000 copies were sold. In UK I think I read it was about 50.000.
1.5 million album sales it's a really good number nowadays. RAFRAG was a commercial failure because Offspring doesn't sell in current days, even they assume that as Dexter himself said in this interview "No one will buy our album".

Llamas
05-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Why don't you just throw acid in my eyes? Or just keep writing "would of", the effect is the same.
:D Your just mad cause if you thought of SaS's great ideas, you would of been proud. But there the one who came up with this great logic, and your jealous. Personally, I could care less. I would of come up with something much more cleverer.

I think the only democracy in the band was the working joke title "chinese democracy". Not that Dexter is a bad guy who tells the others what to do. but he pretty much makes all the songs, the others add their own...
It's been discussed to death at this bbs, but yeah. I'm pretty sure it's been like this since day one, and I wouldn't doubt that it was a huge reason Ron left. But Noodles and Greg seem pretty content with how it is, and if they weren't, they wouldn't have spent the last 20+ years working with Dexter. Bands aren't always democracies. Whoever writes the songs makes the most money, and usually lead singers do, as well, because they're the "face" of the band. So this is Dexter's band. We love Noodles and Greg just as much, but there's no denying how this band works. And if Noodles and Greg wanted more say, they'd either step up and ask, or leave the band.

Agreed. I really like his attitude in general in that article. Makes me more excited about the album, and Cruisin' California makes more sense now. It really does seem to be shaping up to be a sort of concept album. :)

however, I'm not on the FB, but I'll buy it so I can call you a sellout. :d

I didn't get the joke here... what does Facebook have to do with buying an album?

Degstur Lolland
05-12-2012, 09:47 AM
I mean that there are people without the FB and they will buy it so that is an addition to 2.8 mil. of potential buyers. Not really a joke, only at the end with a sellout thing.

Omni should look into sales again, he "knows" that stuff. :D We know for sure that it's not Gold in the USA which is for 500 000. I think we even believed it was around 1.9 mil. for Splinter or RFRG worldwide. We need to bump those threads and Get It Right. :D

Dexter_italy
05-12-2012, 09:59 AM
It's been discussed to death at this bbs, but yeah. I'm pretty sure it's been like this since day one, and I wouldn't doubt that it was a huge reason Ron left. But Noodles and Greg seem pretty content with how it is, and if they weren't, they wouldn't have spent the last 20+ years working with Dexter. Bands aren't always democracies. Whoever writes the songs makes the most money, and usually lead singers do, as well, because they're the "face" of the band. So this is Dexter's band. We love Noodles and Greg just as much, but there's no denying how this band works. And if Noodles and Greg wanted more say, they'd either step up and ask, or leave the band.

Never said they aren't happy with it of course :) That's how bands work mostly, I did the same way with mine (not making money XD). As for the money I think they all got the same, at least the original members. but these things are up to them not really intrested in :D

Llamas
05-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I mean that there are people without the FB and they will buy it so that is an addition to 2.8 mil. of potential buyers. Not really a joke, only at the end with a sellout thing.
Oh, I get the Facebook thing now. Yeah, the majority of the people who "like" them on Facebook will not purchase the new album. I "like" a lot of bands and singers on FB who either 1) I've never bought an album from (usually because I've become a fan in the last year or two, and haven't really bought many albums in that time due to lack of ability), or 2) whose early stuff I dig a lot but I don't care about what they're doing now (like Nightwish and Static X, for example). I tend to "like" musicians on FB who make interesting posts, rather than all my favorites. Some of the musicians I "like" on there don't even make music I care for, but they make fun posts. Point being: there are a ton of people who "like" the Offspring on FB who have no interest in buying the album. Then you have to remove all the people who don't buy CDs at all and just download everything. There's only gonna be a couple hundred thousand FB fans who buy the album.

Never said they aren't happy with it of course :) That's how bands work mostly, I did the same way with mine (not making money XD). As for the money I think they all got the same, at least the original members. but these things are up to them not really intrested in :D
Oh yeah, I know you weren't. I was agreeing with you :) But no, it's pretty much always true with mainstream bands that the song-writers and lead singers make the most money. But yeah, I don't care about that, either. That's their thing. :)

Dexter_italy
05-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Oh yeah, I know you weren't. I was agreeing with you :) But no, it's pretty much always true with mainstream bands that the song-writers and lead singers make the most money. But yeah, I don't care about that, either. That's their thing. :)

I always say that if Todd is busy I could take his place, I'd even go free, and I have amp and guitar too by myself :D (anyone reading?) ahaha I wanted to tell this last year when I met them but I totally forgot...not that it would have changed anything eheh

Llamas
05-12-2012, 11:27 AM
I always say that if Todd is busy I could take his place, I'd even free, and I have amp and guitar too by myself :D (anyone reading?) ahaha I wanted to tell this last year when I met them but I totally forgot...not that it would have changed anything eheh

Who's Todd?

Krojd
05-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Who's Todd?

Todd Morse is the 3rd/live guitarist of the band.

Oxygene
05-12-2012, 04:12 PM
wait...what? I thought it was well-known at this point that Dexter does (or at least has a hand in) everything the band does?

Not everything... Greg K arranges set lists for example, so it isn't a dictatorship :D

But as for the "has a hand in" is true to some extent I guess for set lists as well, so I'll let that one slide... :) But I guess so does everyone else.

Sorry, I'm slightly tipsy :cool:

As for the original comment: why couldn't any one person in the band choose an album title? There is nothing wrong that... oh boy.

Oxygene
05-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Who's Todd?

Good god.............

nightvision
05-12-2012, 05:42 PM
:D Your just mad cause if you thought of SaS's great ideas, you would of been proud. But there the one who came up with this great logic, and your jealous. Personally, I could care less. I would of come up with something much more cleverer.

I just fell in love with you. It might be the alcohol talking, I have no idea, but I really love you right now. *kissing llamas on the lips*

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Who's Todd?
Do not worry, I was a little confused about who he was until late 2011 to early 2012.

Gustavo
05-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Do not worry, I was a little confused about who he was until late 2011 to early 2012.

And he's not the only one, there have been Warren Fitzgerald (The Vandals) and Andrew Freeman, and, of course, Chris Higgins.

Llamas
05-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Good god.............

I'm not worried, and I don't really care that I didn't know who the band's current touring guitarist is. I saw them live once in 2004, and am not entirely sure I plan on seeing them again. So there's really no reason for me to have known that. I like to listen to their records, and that's about where I stand. :)

I just fell in love with you. It might be the alcohol talking, I have no idea, but I really love you right now. *kissing llamas on the lips*

Hahahahaha I guess I'm making out with a drunk bbs member... you a guy or girl? Let's get this grammar-romance going ;)

nightvision
05-13-2012, 01:34 AM
I'm a guy and I'm sober now. Still in love though!

danitanev
05-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Nice words from Dexter - Now I have even more positive feelings about the new album! :)

Degstur Lolland
05-13-2012, 03:48 AM
So I looked at sales. I guess Splinter could be 750 000 - 1 000 000 worldwide and RFRG 500 000 - 750 000 worldwide. But, it gets tricky with RFRG, YGGFK is gold in the USA. Also, Greatest Hits and Music video collection are gold in the USA.

I think it would be great if they regained gold album in the USA. Cruising California could be a gold single like YGGFK. So that's the goal. Since I expect a great album, it might go platinum in the USA. :d

And now what with those 2.8 mil people on the Facebook? They should tickle them somehow. :D Make a poll, spam them or something. :D

Dexter_italy
05-13-2012, 04:41 AM
So I looked at sales. I guess Splinter could be 750 000 - 1 000 000 worldwide and RFRG 500 000 - 750 000 worldwide. But, it gets tricky with RFRG, YGGFK is gold in the USA. Also, Greatest Hits and Music video collection are gold in the USA.

I think it would be great if they regained gold album in the USA. Cruising California could be a gold single like YGGFK. So that's the goal. Since I expect a great album, it might go platinum in the USA. :d

And now what with those 2.8 mil people on the Facebook? They should tickle them somehow. :D Make a poll, spam them or something. :D

They have to gain with good music, that's it. not begging fans to by the album (and I don't think they'll ever do it) with some dumb strategies.....they are doing so many things for all the real fans! they will be rewarded from us for it.

Degstur Lolland
05-13-2012, 05:05 AM
"Go buy it assholes!"

If you "like" us, "check" it out.

The new album is out, it's gold.

I'm sure no one will buy it, but we worked very hard on it. :D

Camilamazed
05-13-2012, 10:44 AM
I am officially dying out of curiosity. Can't wait to listen to OC Guns!

cool 2 hate 681
05-15-2012, 06:51 PM
http://kroq.radio.com/2012/05/15/offspring-say-new-album-days-go-by-has-message-of-hope/