PDA

View Full Version : Why remake Dirty Magic?

Hypodermic_89
05-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Has this been adressed? Sorry if I've been off the wagon lately, I haven't bothered to read all threads with over 100 responses, so I'll just make my own..

As far as I know, they're remaking it because they want it to become more known to a wider audience. Now, if this is the case, why not just play it live at every show? Instead of stealing off a spot on the tracklist for a completely new song?

Why not just make it a bonus track?

Why?

GamerKT
05-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Has this been adressed? Sorry if I've been off the wagon lately, I haven't bothered to read all threads with over 100 responses, so I'll just make my own..

As far as I know, they're remaking it because they want it to become more known to a wider audience. Now, if this is the case, why not just play it live at every show? Instead of stealing off a spot on the tracklist for a completely new song?

Why not just make it a bonus track?

Why?

Just because. And not every fan can go to their live shows.

mrconeman
05-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Because it stops them writing anything like Cruising California for at least one track on the album.

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2012, 01:20 PM
If they just dropped it into the setlists, people wouldn't know it. Didn't someone post here that even at the secret show at Chain Reaction in Anaheim people didn't know a song from Smash, so they just stood there?

I don't think it's "stealing" a spot on the tracklist for a new song. If they wanted to have an additional new song on the album, they would have written one.

From what I heard of it at the rehearsal party this weekend, they gave it a nice update without altering the riff. I was nervous about how the new version would come out, but I really like how they did it.

Jojan
05-15-2012, 01:35 PM
They redid Dirty Magic for the same reason as why they do the Ignition shows. They felt that that record deserved more attention. Maybe especially that song, Dirty Magic.

RODNEYMULLEN
05-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Not gonna talk crap about the remake of it. However the drums and guitar have this crispynes to them in that song which defines the song (specially the ride cymbal) but bob rock seems to hate the sound of cymbals in music. I liked rise and fall rage and grace but they couldn't of mixed the drums in worse. I'm not saying that they'll ruin the sound of it i'm just saying theres no way the mixing will do justice to original.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-15-2012, 02:10 PM
They redid Dirty Magic for the same reason as why they do the Ignition shows. They felt that that record deserved more attention. Maybe especially that song, Dirty Magic.

Not trying to know dirty magic because it is a very good song. The only problem I have is that there are so much better songs to re-record. Songs like Session, We are One, Forever and a Day, Kick Him When He's Down, and Burn It Up. Actually, they should just re-record the whole damn album. It's just that if the band decided to re-record a song from it, they should have picked a more rocking one. But then again, this is their album and their band and I can't really dictate what they can and can't do so either way, I'm excited to hear the new version

Dexter_italy
05-15-2012, 02:14 PM
there may be better songs, but we as fans have always asked for Dirty magic live, so they decided to remake it and so be able to play it live too without people staring at them and being like "what's this?"

effreyj
05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Dirty Magic is one of the top 5 Offspring songs. For a song to be good, it doesn't have to be a really hard rocking song...

killboybowerhead
05-15-2012, 03:20 PM
probably came up with something really good that sounded way too similar to dirty magic so they just redid the thing. Painters paint the same shit 30 years later. Or musicians demo before actually recording something.. I bet they didn't really have that opportunity back then.. they must really love that song but hopefully they just found something that improved it too much to ignore reviving it.

jacknife737
05-15-2012, 03:25 PM
It's hardly "stealing" a spot from a new song, it's not as if there's a set number of tracks per album. If there were any songs that didn't make the final tracklisting its because the band felt they weren't good enough.

As for the new version of Dirty Magic, I'm super excited to hear what they did with it.

Mojo
05-15-2012, 03:32 PM
There's a few probable reasons. First of all, it's a great song worthy of being a single. The new recording will be much cleaner sounding which would be necessary to make it a hit today. It will satisfy old fans who already love the song, and open the eyes of some new fans. Along these lines, it is a great marketing technique to increase Ignition's sales too, for unfamiliar fans.

They've played multiple versions of it live, and seemingly love the song themselves. This will also increase the live impact of the song, since more concert-goers will be familiar with it.

I'm personally not a fan of most covers or remakes, as it's hard to let them stand alone without making comparisons to the original. I know that the first time through the lack of grit / rawness of the original will bother me. But hopefully it's own charm will make the recording great in it's own way.

Manic subsidal
05-15-2012, 03:32 PM
As for the new version of Dirty Magic, I'm super excited to hear what they did with it.

I heard the only differences are that Dexter plays an electric mandolin for the guitar solos and Greg K takes over the vocals alone.

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2012, 03:50 PM
I heard the only differences are that Dexter plays an electric mandolin for the guitar solos and Greg K takes over the vocals alone.

My favorite part is the verse they added about kittens and unicorns.

The Search Button
05-15-2012, 03:52 PM
They re-recorded Dirty Magic because Ignition is just old enough to drink.

In Europe, I mean.

dff_punk
05-15-2012, 03:56 PM
They re-recorded Dirty Magic because Ignition is just old enough to drink.

In Europe, I mean.

Nah, Ignition was drinking way sooner before it was old enough. Cause it's a PUNK RECORD.

hshduppsnt
05-15-2012, 05:55 PM
If they just dropped it into the setlists, people wouldn't know it. Didn't someone post here that even at the secret show at Chain Reaction in Anaheim people didn't know a song from Smash, so they just stood there?

I don't think it's "stealing" a spot on the tracklist for a new song. If they wanted to have an additional new song on the album, they would have written one.

From what I heard of it at the rehearsal party this weekend, they gave it a nice update without altering the riff. I was nervous about how the new version would come out, but I really like how they did it.

Yep, that was me. They played Genocide and half the crowd died. Then some kid requested beheaded and dexter actually got annoyed and asked him "half of you didn't even know genocide you want me to play beheaded?"

Anyway the band has said a few times recently they wished ignition got more recognition as an album and in this particular case dirty magic. Given the album isn't particularly long in number of songs I'm sure if they had more to put on there they could've without sacrificing Dirty Magic. They didn't. So I'm lead to believe it fits in flow of album and was more important to them.

I look forward to hearing it.

cool 2 hate 681
05-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Yep, that was me. They played Genocide and half the crowd died. Then some kid requested beheaded and dexter actually got annoyed and asked him "half of you didn't even know genocide you want me to play beheaded?

I asked for it also:o but they did one fine day instead

hshduppsnt
05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
^ sure but in your case they were probably still riding high from everyone knowing songs off of ignition so ... probably just really bad luck hahaha (or they just don't like self titled nearly as much as any other album :) - I'm never going to hear blackball live, am I? )

cool 2 hate 681
05-15-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm never going to hear blackball live, am I? )

maybe in 2014 if they do a 25th anniversary show for that album

hshduppsnt
05-15-2012, 06:19 PM
maybe in 2014 if they do a 25th anniversary show for that album

oooh + smash. that would be a fairly epic show

mrconeman
05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Yep, that was me. They played Genocide and half the crowd died. Then some kid requested beheaded and dexter actually got annoyed and asked him "half of you didn't even know genocide you want me to play beheaded?"

Jesus that sounds so horrible and awkward. I remember seeing the band back on the Splinter tour in Dublin, and the crowd was amazing for every song. Given I don't think they played anything old (other than the obvious ones off Smash) but I could tell the band were genuinely surprised at how good the crowd was I even remember Dexter using the phrase "You guys are singer-alongers".

I cannot imagine people showing up to an Offspring gig and not knowing a song off of fucking Smash. I mean, I get maybe not knowing things of S/T or even Ignition. But Smash? And everything after Smash? Jesus.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
I cannot imagine people showing up to an Offspring gig and not knowing a song off of fucking Smash. I mean, I get maybe not knowing things of S/T or even Ignition. But Smash? And everything after Smash? Jesus.

I know, GODDAMMIT! Those fake fans. Sometimes I wish the band would see this and play more less singles for the real fans. But then again, this has been discussed to death before and if I remember correctly the band has no control over this.

mrconeman
05-15-2012, 06:31 PM
The band absolutely has control over what songs they play live. There is nobody else involved in that decision. I mean surely.

It's completely understandable why they do the setlists they do though. There are certain songs they just sort of have to play because unfortunately that's what a lot of people showed up to hear. I.E Pretty Fly, Come out and Play etc.

Considering the age group of people that go to the shows, most of them probably weren't born when Self Titled/Ignition was out, so playing those songs is wasted on most of the audience. Unfortunately.

cool 2 hate 681
05-15-2012, 06:32 PM
oooh + smash. that would be a fairly epic show

noodles said it's a possibility:cool:

Manic subsidal
05-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Hearing Slim Pickens on their Days Go By 20th anniversary shows in 2032 would be pretty epic too

Little_Miss_1565
05-15-2012, 08:14 PM
The band absolutely has control over what songs they play live. There is nobody else involved in that decision. I mean surely.

They definitely have control over their set list. They do not, however, control how the crowd reacts to said set list, and they don't want to put on a shitty show.

samseby
05-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Isn't that because in hindsight they weren't that happy with the way it turned out in the first place? Aside from the unicorns that is?! ;)

mrconeman
05-16-2012, 04:28 AM
They definitely have control over their set list. They do not, however, control how the crowd reacts to said set list, and they don't want to put on a shitty show.

Totally, they can't expect a crowd full of old school "proper" fans every time :(

Krojd
05-16-2012, 05:22 AM
They could add one or two, three... ST songs to the Ignition show setlist, that'd be super cool :)

BagOfShenanigans
05-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Who pays to go to a concert for a band that they barely know?

The Offspring have too many damned songs to be confined to the limited knowledge of the ignoramuses that can't even recognize Genocide.

Llamas
05-16-2012, 06:34 AM
Who pays to go to a concert for a band that they barely know?

I have a friend who just likes going to concerts, and will buy a pair of tickets to go see a band that he just knows a few songs of, but thinks will be good live (sometimes it's a band he's a big fan of). Then he finds someone who wants to go with him and gives them the ticket. I went with him to a few shows where I had no idea who I was seeing. He was always right; the bands we saw were always great live. I actually became a big fan of a couple because of him. Hell, my best friend went to see the Offspring with me, and all she knew were the singles. I went to see her favorite band - The Goo Goo Dolls - with her, and at the time, all I knew were the singles. That's what friends are for ;)

bighead384
05-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Not knowing Genocide? That's ridiculous. It's the next track after a hit song from the best selling independent record of all time.

effreyj
05-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Not knowing Genocide? That's ridiculous. It's the next track after a hit song from the best selling independent record of all time.

Yeah...NEXT track

TheNooseIsFalling
05-16-2012, 09:21 AM
That's kinda fucked up, I always thought Genocide was fairly popular among fans (at least I'd like to hear it live a helluva lot more than Staring at the Sun or Walla Walla again).
Dexter said in an interview once that Dirty Magic's their most underrated song and that's kinda right, everyone I've showed it to got completely blown away by it, and I think it's one of their best as well.

Degstur Lolland
05-16-2012, 04:50 PM
I hope it becomes a single. I'd also like several remixes of it too! I think it would sound great with synths.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-16-2012, 05:02 PM
I hope it becomes a single. I'd also like several remixes of it too! I think it would sound great with synths.
Good one :)

Dexter_italy
05-16-2012, 10:49 PM

Sacrilege! Sacrilege!

findout5
05-17-2012, 02:15 AM

Aren't they obliged to do certain songs in their rider? I think so...

To RODNEYMULLEN: Bob Rock is not to blame for the sounds of the drums...listen to Metallica's Load, Reload and I Disappear...sounds great! Bands chose sounds, and producers deliver them.

Oxygene
05-17-2012, 06:23 AM

No they retain complete artistic control, as well they should.

mrconeman
05-17-2012, 06:32 AM

A bands rider is the bands list of demands, for lack of a better word. I.E what they want to have backstage/on stage. Not what the venue wants from the band.

findout5
05-17-2012, 06:46 AM
The rider is that and a bit more. It's a contractual agreement. Mutual!
Usually promoters demand bands to play certain "hits" (it can be 1 song...it can be 3 or 4)...if they aren't required to do it, better for them. I just thought they did, cause it's usual in the industry to do so.

Does anyone know this for sure? Or are you just guessing?

mrconeman
05-17-2012, 08:29 AM
For a short time I worked for a company that had access to many different bands riders. Not once did I ever see a request to make sure the bands played any certain song.

Dexter_italy
05-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Promoters of the venue have nothing to do with setlists...it's all on the band. they know that shows are 90% normal fans and 10% hardcore fans. But they pay the same price so they try to make a show that both enjoy. I would be bored to see a band I like not playing the most famous songs. then there's the space to vary now and then, which the offspring do. if they play an old fast song people may mosh and that's all, but with a slow song like dirty magic who doesn't know it just stares there... let's hope they'll play it more with this move :)

Little_Miss_1565
05-17-2012, 08:43 AM
The rider is that and a bit more. It's a contractual agreement. Mutual!
Usually promoters demand bands to play certain "hits" (it can be 1 song...it can be 3 or 4)...if they aren't required to do it, better for them. I just thought they did, cause it's usual in the industry to do so.

Does anyone know this for sure? Or are you just guessing?

I have worked in the music industry for several years, and with several very popular bands.

First, let me correct you on one point -- there are two types of riders, the technical rider (what the band's stage setup is going to be and what they need) and the rider that has all the requests for the dressing room (food, drinks, towels, etc.). A rider comes from the band/its management. The venue/promoter will cross things off the rider that they can't provide, but there is nothing about the run of the show in the rider.

Promoters do not request songs, nor do they require them to be played, and it is not usual in the industry for them to do require particular songs. Bands will generally play their hits, though, because that's what pleases the crowds.

Oxygene
05-17-2012, 08:58 AM
I have worked in the music industry for several years, and with several very popular bands.

First, let me correct you on one point -- there are two types of riders, the technical rider (what the band's stage setup is going to be and what they need) and the rider that has all the requests for the dressing room (food, drinks, towels, etc.). A rider comes from the band/its management. The venue/promoter will cross things off the rider that they can't provide, but there is nothing about the run of the show in the rider.

Promoters do not request songs, nor do they require them to be played, and it is not usual in the industry for them to do require particular songs. Bands will generally play their hits, though, because that's what pleases the crowds.

And in addition the contractual agreement for the concert itself, isn't a rider, it's a separate contract all together. I haven't been involved in things like that, but that's how it worked
Contract
Technical rider
Catering rider

and a lot of riders can now be found online including the famous "no brown ones please"

Dexter_italy
05-17-2012, 09:01 AM

I don't know in the US but her when singers release new singles they rarely play it live, I don't know why, but in tv shows happens that the new single is in playback and older songs are live. this has to have something with the lable I suppose... but it's an Italian thing... Muse were invited in a tv show and were upset by this thing and they played switching their roles....and the interviewer asked questions do Dom (drummer) thinking it was Matt (singer).... :D

offsrx
05-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Maybe they did a remake because of 20 years ignition celebration.. I think that is a very good idea to mark that great album and "update" great song, and bring it more attention it deserves..

Little_Miss_1565
05-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Muse were invited in a tv show and were upset by this thing and they played switching their roles....and the interviewer asked questions do Dom (drummer) thinking it was Matt (singer).... :D

Not to get too far off track here, but Muse did that as protest that they were being forced to lip sync and mime playing their instruments on a TV show. They wanted to play live and were told they could not, and for whatever reason couldn't back out of the TV appearance.

mrconeman
05-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Yeah lots of bands have done that exact thing. Iron Maiden and Oasis jump to mind.

Fun tidbit - As ludicrous as the brown M&M's story sounds, it makes sense once it's explained. I believe it was Van Halen that did it first, I could be wrong, but they specified that brown M&M's (or whatever candy/sweet) be removed, so that if they got to their dressing room, and they had brown sweets, they knew they rider was ignored. If they had been removed then they knew the venue payed attention to all of the stuff that actually mattered because they went the extra mile for something stupid.

Dexter_italy
05-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Not to get too far off track here, but Muse did that as protest that they were being forced to lip sync and mime playing their instruments on a TV show. They wanted to play live and were told they could not, and for whatever reason couldn't back out of the TV appearance.

That was jus an example not fitting. but seriously there was a tv\festival until some year ago where artists played live old songs and playback the last single... weird.

back on topic...they'll start a trend on remakes...just like for the films..

Oxygene
05-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Yeah lots of bands have done that exact thing. Iron Maiden and Oasis jump to mind.

Fun tidbit - As ludicrous as the brown M&M's story sounds, it makes sense once it's explained. I believe it was Van Halen that did it first, I could be wrong, but they specified that brown M&M's (or whatever candy/sweet) be removed, so that if they got to their dressing room, and they had brown sweets, they knew they rider was ignored. If they had been removed then they knew the venue payed attention to all of the stuff that actually mattered because they went the extra mile for something stupid.

Actually I remember that it was explained in a way, where it was very important for all the riders to be met, the technical one especially, with arena rock and big ass equipment being pretty new, the stage specs were important as were a bunch of other stuff, it saved them a fuck load of time, not having to check and recheck crucial shit like that, if the M&Ms were separated.. there are some extraordinary requests tho...
Offspring had an interesting one back in the day, but it was the exact opposite of what you'd expect. They didn't always want to be given snobish mineral water, so they specifically asked for "No Evian!!!", which I thought was cool. I always see them drinking the local waters and beers, instead of the usual boring high end shit :)

sebastienfan
05-21-2012, 07:12 PM
"Huntington Beach, CA (Dexter)
02/15/06
The version of Dirty Magic we recorded last year is an electric version with drums. That song is kind of special to us because it‘s one of those requests we always get from our most hardcore fans. Unfortunately, most people don‘t know the song, cause most people don‘t know our music from before Smash. We always thought that it was a good song, but that we could do a better job recording it now than we could back then. So we did it, and Atom played on it. It sounds great. I‘m not sure if it will come out someday or what. Maybe if you guys are really really nice…"

They probably re-re-recorded with Josh or Pete

Dexter_italy
05-22-2012, 12:56 AM
"Huntington Beach, CA (Dexter)
02/15/06
The version of Dirty Magic we recorded last year is an electric version with drums. That song is kind of special to us because it‘s one of those requests we always get from our most hardcore fans. Unfortunately, most people don‘t know the song, cause most people don‘t know our music from before Smash. We always thought that it was a good song, but that we could do a better job recording it now than we could back then. So we did it, and Atom played on it. It sounds great. I‘m not sure if it will come out someday or what. Maybe if you guys are really really nice…"

They probably re-re-recorded with Josh or Pete

So it took us 6 years to be really really nice :D

sebastienfan
05-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Yeah finaly. I just hope that they din't add any scratch beat or robot voice to it.

TheOldMark
05-22-2012, 08:00 PM
its one of their best old school songs from their hayday thats just got a perfect vibe to it. We have been begging the band to play it live and rerecord it for many many years. For the superfans its a real treat, and its nice to expose the newer fans to a great song like this.

I think they got such a great response from their fake power outage acoustic performances, they decided to play it for the DVD, and then they said OK lets put it on an album.

TheJakes84
05-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Dirty Magic is still my fave song from Ignition. Glad they chose to re-master it and make it sound more I don't know modern-ish. **yawn**

Dexter_italy
05-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Dirty Magic is still my fave song from Ignition. Glad they chose to re-master it and make it sound more I don't know modern-ish. **yawn**

Well they actually re-recorded, it was already re-mastered with the whole album :D

TheJakes84
05-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Well they actually re-recorded, it was already re-mastered with the whole album :D

Either way, it totally gonna sound freaking ear-gasmic! :p

aintnoballnchain
05-24-2012, 06:47 PM
so this is remake? I was wondering that when i saw the tracklist for Days Go By.....thats fuckin awesome cause its my favorite Offspring song :cool: