PDA

View Full Version : IIHF tournament thread

Llamas
05-16-2012, 01:27 PM
I know there are others here who follow the International Hockey Tournament like me... quarterfinals are starting tomorrow, and the teams who are in are USA, Canada, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Russia, Czech, and Slovakia. I'm surprised at how "meh" the champions of the last two years (Finland and Czech) are doing... Well, I'd cheer for Finland if they weren't up against us ;) But in this round, I'm cheering for US, Canada, Norway, and Czech. USA is always so bad in this tournament... nice to see us doing well for a change!!

Quarterfinals:

Canada vs. Slovakia

Sweden vs. Czech

Russia vs. Norway

USA vs. Finland

Jojan
05-16-2012, 06:09 PM
The real surprise is that Germany did that awful. But Denmark’s bad tournament has also been a bit of a surprise. Both of them did well last year, if I am not mistaken.

Canada vs. Slovakia
Canada. Would be awesome if Slovakia beat Canada. Not impossible.

Sweden vs. Czech
Hopefully Sweden. I see it as unlikely that Czech Republic win that one.

Russia vs. Norway
Norway. No doubt.

USA vs. Finland
Most even match. Anyone's game. Hopefully Finland, as they are a hosting country.

Llamas
05-16-2012, 06:31 PM
The real surprise is that Germany did that awful. But Denmark’s bad tournament has also been a bit of a surprise. Both of them did well last year, if I am not mistaken.
I think you're right. I think Denmark beat Norway and Sweden last year, or something? And I was definitely a bit shocked at how bad Germany is this year.

Canada. Would be awesome if Slovakia beat Canada. Not impossible. Yeah, both teams definitely deserve to be in. Slovakia's been playing great... but it's just hard to not expect Canada to win, because they're fucking Canada.

Hopefully Sweden. I see it as unlikely that Czech Republic win that one.
I'm pretty torn about this game. I won't be sad if Czech loses, and I rather expect them to. Czech is the weakest team in the quarterfinals this year.

Norway. No doubt.
Yup.

Most even match. Anyone's game. Hopefully Finland, as they are a hosting country.
A Swede cheering for Finland?? ;) I like Finland and would cheer for them against most teams, but as most people do, I cheer for my own country above all. But I agree this is the most even match. We swept them a few days ago, but they've proven themselves worthy. Looking forward to the game.

Llamas
05-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Whoa, Slovakia just took out Canada!! I can't say I'm disappointed - very impressed! Definitely wasn't expecting that!

dff_punk
05-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Me neither. Now everyone is going batshit crazy around here.

Llamas
05-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Me neither. Now everyone is going batshit crazy around here.

If Czech takes down Sweden, gonna be one hell of a match on Saturday! ;) I'm cheering for it... would be fun if the semi-finals were CZ vs SK, and US vs Russia :D :D (Though I never want Russia to win... but it'd make for a hell of a competitive semi-final round :P)

nightvision
05-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Go Slovakia! Well done!

It would be freaking awesome if Norway could beat Russia but I can't see how that could happen.

Jojan
05-17-2012, 08:39 AM
It is an even game between Norway and Russia. Two goals for Norway now, please. As usual, the Russians deserves more penalties.

Degstur Lolland
05-17-2012, 11:04 AM
What's up Canada? You have more hockey arenas than we have registered players. :D

Degstur Lolland
05-17-2012, 11:18 AM
That's right. Oh, and what France did this year is crazy, underdog surprise. Switzerland went into shit somehow, it's not easy to play as a favorite, they always played extremely defensive hockey, but now they tried their own medicine.

Also, Norway improved a lot and played very well so far, however Russians were too much for them today.

Sweden can be scary, but there is something wrong about them, however they are still a favorite. Czechs didn't start the tournament well, but they are getting better.

USA Finland 2-1 so far. Something's wrong with Fins too. The home pressure is not as big as it would be because 2 countries do this tournament. USA is great, but sometimes unstable.

Llamas
05-17-2012, 12:23 PM
The one thing I hate about IIHF is how much they limit hitting. It's so pussified. I can't believe Getzlaf was penalized... best part about hockey is the hard-hitting action!! I feel like Canada and the US would do better in the tournament if the rules were more familiar... both teams get called on hits all the time that are normal in NA leagues. But whatever, a loss is a loss. And since IIHF fans tend to be European, mostly considering the vast majority of the best US and Canadian players don't participate due to the Stanley Cup finals, it's cool to keep Euro teams in for the finals. No use in having a Canada/US game that nobody watches ;)

Time to cheer for Czech! But I think Sweden's gonna take it...

Degstur Lolland
05-17-2012, 01:07 PM
All wrong llamas, you have it all wrong. :D

But, let's not argue, I know it's tough when your team loses.

Jojan
05-17-2012, 02:11 PM
USA and Canada are out. Let us hope that this 3-3 becomes a victory for Sweden. They seem to be the better team at the moment.. 12 minutes left.

Llamas
05-17-2012, 02:25 PM
USA and Canada are out. Let us hope that this 3-3 becomes a victory for Sweden. They seem to be the better team at the moment.. 12 minutes left.

Yeah, Czech started off really strong, but something happened in the second period... unless something major changes, it's gonna be Sweden's game.

Jojan
05-17-2012, 02:28 PM
29 seconds. COME ON!!!

Llamas
05-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow, what a GREAT finish for Czech!!

Jojan
05-17-2012, 02:40 PM
To quote on of my favourite bands "AH FUCK!!! FUCK FUCK FU-UCK!!!".

A purely objective view is that the Czechs should have had a couple of penalty minutes.

Llamas
05-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Slovakia is the only surprise in the semi-finals... otherwise, the usual suspects. Dang it. Would've been fun to have a few more surprises in there, but oh well. I hope Finland or Czech win it all. My ranking of who I WANT to win: Czech > Finland > Slovakia > Russia... but in terms of who I actually THINK will win: Russia > Slovakia > Finland > Czech.

jacknife737
05-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Not terribly surprising to see how Canada ended up, we never seem to do well at these. I enjoyed watching the games though: I wish it was held later in the summer, then the North American teams would probably be able to field better roasters then we usually do.

Degstur Lolland
05-18-2012, 06:51 AM
HAHA, I told you llamas, all wrong. :D Even Sweden got pwned like the USA. I wonder why not many games go into overtime.

USA and Canada, stop fuckin' crying. Canada could make 3 or how many Olympic rosters while Slovakia just 1. You guys really have no idea.

Also, we could make a better team too. Gaborik *cough* Hossa *cough*. One is in the play-offs and the other is with concussion because llamas wants criminal hits.

But, it's not only about greatest players, it's about team and heart!

Also, NHL is trying to kill all those dangerous hits in the head with Bandon Shanahan. Good job. Go to study those videos llamas.

Big hits are actually allowed, but you gotta know how to do them. Any piece of shit can cheat or injure players...referees are so good this years, no cheating allowed, not even the smallest ones and that's how it should be.

All wrong guys, all wrong...

Do you guys realize that Canada has 500 000 registered players. Do you!?

yarock
05-18-2012, 07:33 AM
^This was the most sensible post I've seen from you.

Llamas
05-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Not terribly surprising to see how Canada ended up, we never seem to do well at these. I enjoyed watching the games though: I wish it was held later in the summer, then the North American teams would probably be able to field better roasters then we usually do.

Yep, exactly. Minus "roasters" ;) There's a reason the US and Canada are typically at the top during the Olympics, but tend to suck in IIHF.

dexterone
05-18-2012, 09:44 AM
I don't understand you...Tavares,Getzlaf,Skinner,Phaneuf,Kane,Keith,L add...do you really think that Slovakia has had a better roster than Canada? Canada lost the game because their tactics pretty much sucked...it's ridiculous to see how some of you think that it's all about the rosters..IIHF is not about individuals, it's about the quality of the whole team...we have a lot of young players in our team who never played for our national team before and who only dream of playing in the NHL while the whole Canadian team consisted of the players who have been playing the best hockey league for several years...therefore,the reason of their failure must be hidden somewhere else...Anyway,I'm really glad that we're in the semifinals and that we'll be playing against Czech tomorrow because our games are always somehow special...

Degstur Lolland
05-18-2012, 09:47 AM
^This was the most sensible post I've seen from you.
Feel free to challenge my the most irrational posts. :D I'll be waiting for that day. :d

Llamas
05-18-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't understand you...Tavares,Getzlaf,Skinner,Phaneuf,Kane,Keith,L add...do you really think that Slovakia has had a better roster than Canada? Canada lost the game because their tactics pretty much sucked...it's ridiculous to see how some of you think that it's all about the rosters..IIHF is not about individuals, it's about the quality of the whole team...we have a lot of young players in our team who never played for our national team before and who only dream of playing in the NHL while the whole Canadian team consisted of the players who have been playing the best hockey league for several years...therefore,the reason of their failure must be hidden somewhere else...Anyway,I'm really glad that we're in the semifinals and that we'll be playing against Czech tomorrow because our games are always somehow special...

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that if we had all our best players, we'd stomp the hell out of this tournament. I'm only saying that this tournament doesn't allow many of the US's and Canada's very best players to play. Of course not having those guys hinders us - every team with players playing in the NHL playoffs right now is hurt a bit. We just have more of those players.

Of course it's about teams and about their ability to play together, and a great team SHOULD, in theory, be able to kick ass without their stars (like the Green Bay Packers in 2010, who had 11 players on injury, and still won the Super Bowl, thanks to backup players who REALLY stepped up to the plate :D), but we've all seen great teams hurt by losing great players. Many Czech fans agree that losing Jagr this year to the NHL playoffs was a major hit to their team - and it was only one guy.

But like I said, it doesn't matter, because North Americans don't really watch this tournament, so I'd say it's cooler for European teams to win because it's more important to the European fans. The US winning this tournament would be about as important to Americans as Sweden winning American Football would be to Swedes :D So I don't think the IIHF needs to change when it is or anything - it's fine as it is, as a tournament of European hockey greats.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's games - cheering for Czech and Finland :) It's gonna be a GREAT game between Czech and Slovakia. Both strong teams who've shown some weaknesses throughout the tournament, but have definitely proven themselves worthy of the playoffs.

jacknife737
05-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Oh I'm not trying to dismiss the loss as merely a roster issue; though a Canadian or us Olympic team would have been considerably more stacked.

I think it comes down to three key things. Firstly European teams seem to have much more cohesion and chemistry during international play. Secondly international hockey is inherently biased towards European style of hockey, less emphasis on physicality and more on speed and agility (not trying to make excuses but I think this is hard to deny). Thirdly (in the case of the world cup) this tournament doesn't get all that much attention in a North America. (especially compared to other international tournaments like the Olympics or even the world juniors) which I think leads to a lassiez faire attitude amongst our players, and we always seem to do better when under pressure.

Nevertheless congrats are definitely in order to the us and cannuck opponents who clearly outplayed us. Even France has been getting quite better!

Really looking forward to Sochi this coming winter.

Degstur Lolland
05-18-2012, 08:04 PM
I think Jagr declined the offer after Philly lost series.

Triple Gold Club includes this tournament too so it's important. NHL developed smaller rinks so what can you do? What are you gonna do in Sochi? I think it's 2014, not this winter. Maybe, if you had B team playing euro hockey tour. However, both USA and Canada were 1st and 2nd in the group so is it really that bad?

Also, NHL's attitude is laissez faire too. It's not the center of this world. Our players have adapt to NHL and have to be twice as good as USA/Canada players to get into NHL.

Llamas
05-19-2012, 06:21 AM
I think it comes down to three key things. Firstly European teams seem to have much more cohesion and chemistry during international play. Secondly international hockey is inherently biased towards European style of hockey, less emphasis on physicality and more on speed and agility (not trying to make excuses but I think this is hard to deny). Thirdly (in the case of the world cup) this tournament doesn't get all that much attention in a North America. (especially compared to other international tournaments like the Olympics or even the world juniors) which I think leads to a lassiez faire attitude amongst our players, and we always seem to do better when under pressure.
Complete agreement. European teams play international games all year, while in the US and Canada, our pro players are just playing in the NHL all year. So I'd say our players have to adapt when it comes to international play.

Your second and third comments are things I said before ;) How come u no read my posts :( :(

Nevertheless congrats are definitely in order to the us and cannuck opponents who clearly outplayed us. Even France has been getting quite better!
Fo' real, man. We were definitely outplayed, and there's no contesting that!

Llamas
05-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Both teams I was cheering for lost... Typical! :D Russia vs. Slovakia in the final... even though I wasn't cheering for them, they deserved it. Best two teams in the tournament, which will make for an exciting championship game.

Degstur Lolland
05-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Now I have to post some pics in the Party with Satan thread. He scored 2 goals.

Llamas, how many teams do you need to win the tournament? :D I hope you'll pick Russians now. :d

Llamas
05-20-2012, 06:06 AM
I'm pretty neutral about today's games... basically, how these international things go for me is of course I cheer for my home country, and I also cheer for countries I've lived in (Austria, Czech, Slovenia), and then I cheer for the countries that I have a lot of good friends from. Canada's a confusing one, who I cheer for more often than not, probably because I consider Canada and the US to be "brothers" of sorts.

So since I've lived in Czech and have ridiculous numbers of Finnish friends, I'm cheering for both... either team can win, and I'll be happy :D Glad they both got this far! With Russia and Slovakia, I have one good friend from Russia, and from Slovakia, I only know David (dff_punk) (I also had some Slovak students when I was teaching in Czech, but I wouldn't consider them friends)... but in such situations, where I don't really have any feelings toward either, I cheer for the underdog. So... go Slovakia! :D I really like underdogs, but both these teams are really good. I honestly expect Russia to win, but I think that of all the teams in the tournament, Slovakia has the best chance to beat them. I definitely don't think Czech or Finland would've stood a chance.

Llamas
05-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Holy shit, man. The Czech Finland game was awesome, but I couldn't even watch that atrocity that was Russia completely destroying Slovakia. Just embarrassing.

Well, til next time... ta ta.

Jojan
05-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Russia did not loose a game, so they did deserve it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/15/IIHF_World_Ice_Hockey_Ranking_between_2003_and_201 1.png

Llamas
05-21-2012, 06:19 AM
What is that chart of? At first, I thought it was champions each year, but it's not... I agree that Russia earned it, though. They kicked the crap out of this tournament.

WebDudette
05-21-2012, 07:14 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say it's charting the rank of each team throughout the years. By 'if I had to guess' I mean 'I'm almost certain'.

Llamas
05-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Ah yep, I found it. "The results of the IIHF World Championships and the Olympic ice hockey tournament are factored into the rankings."

I wonder exactly what criteria they use for this, but I also don't care enough to research it. Cause in 2010, Canada won the olympics, and Czech won the IIHF tournament... so I wonder how Russia managed to grab the top spot.

Jojan
05-21-2012, 08:56 AM
What is that chart of? At first, I thought it was champions each year, but it's not... I agree that Russia earned it, though. They kicked the crap out of this tournament.

It is the rankings of the teams, as explained by the name of the file.