PDA

View Full Version : Album was mastered by Ted Jensen

RonWelty
05-18-2012, 12:55 PM
He's the head guy from Sterling Sounds. He mastered American Idiot.

Rooster
05-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Oh god no :(

Why am I sad? Well that's why: Death Magnetic, Black Gives Way to Blue. Both albums ruined by being compressed to death (although in case of BGWTB I can look past the brick walled sound, because it's a brilliant album), both by the same guy. Ted Jensen.

Ristifer
05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Jensen has gone on record plenty of times to say that when he receives the original tracks for many albums, they're already brickwalled.

disclaimer_07
05-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Days Go By is already heavily compressed and it's a relatively "calm" song. It's probably louder than any track off RAFRAG.

Lord_Gabo
05-18-2012, 02:04 PM
well .. we should wait before tell something.. the only thing important is that the song in new album are awesome..

Rooster
05-18-2012, 02:11 PM
I know he says that, but I'm not sure if I entirely believe him, it happens too often. I mean, producers are supposed to know their jobs, surely they wouldn't butcher the recordings before the final stage? Mastering is supposed to give the tracks the final polish, and if I'm right this includes the dynamic range compression, too (and yes, I do realise that DRC can be or is usually applied to individual tracks during recording process itself).

So while it is possible that he (that goes for other mastering engineers, too) gets recordings that have already been brickwalled I just find that a bit hard to believe, it happens too many times. It's more likely that mastering engineers are forced to brickwall everything. Which sucks just as much.

RonWelty
05-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Jensen has gone on record plenty of times to say that when he receives the original tracks for many albums, they're already brickwalled.

If that's true why someone needs to pay thousands of dollars for a dude to do the masterization?

Dragnet
05-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Heavily compressed records are industry standard (sadly) so the one who is willing to do that to a record is going to get the job. Can't really blame the people who have to do this to get their money in. But you can blame the bands who made millions of money and still don't give a shit about the way their records are butchered (RHCP, Metallica).

Until now Offspring records were always in the red soundwise but nowhere near those permanent clipping Rick Rubin productions and acceptable to me. But we won't know what's up until we got the compact disc playing on our home stereo...
RAFRAG's production albeit sounded pretty blurry to me already and lacked some dynamics. Ixnay to me probably had the best mix/mastering.

Degstur Lolland
05-18-2012, 03:39 PM
If that's true why someone needs to pay thousands of dollars for a dude to do the masterization?
Maybe, for his name? Plus some minor tweaks?

I've read something about it too. I don't know why bands do it. Maybe, it's easier for them to create songs or maybe they are just dumb?

RonWelty
05-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Maybe, for his name? Plus some minor tweaks?

I've read something about it too. I don't know why bands do it. Maybe, it's easier for them to create songs or maybe they are just dumb?

Shouldn't producers know how to do that?

killboybowerhead
05-18-2012, 03:54 PM
If the songs are good its not gonna matter...

ThunderPX
05-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Oh god no :(

Why am I sad? Well that's why: Death Magnetic, Californication, Black Gives Way to Blue. All ruined by being compressed to death (although in case of BGWTB I can look past the brick walled sound, because it's a brilliant album), all by the same guy. Ted Jensen.

Californication was mastered by Vlado Meller.

Little_Miss_1565
05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Ted Jensen is one of the greats, but he can't control everything y'all.

Ristifer
05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
I know he says that, but I'm not sure if I entirely believe him, it happens too often. I mean, producers are supposed to know their jobs, surely they wouldn't butcher the recordings before the final stage? Mastering is supposed to give the tracks the final polish, and if I'm right this includes the dynamic range compression, too (and yes, I do realise that DRC can be or is usually applied to individual tracks during recording process itself).

So while it is possible that he (that goes for other mastering engineers, too) gets recordings that have already been brickwalled I just find that a bit hard to believe, it happens too many times. It's more likely that mastering engineers are forced to brickwall everything. Which sucks just as much.
Yeah, but you can't believe producers and then not believe engineers just because one guy's name is attached to them.

I read Jensen's comments on Death Magnetic's sound and he seemed genuinely disappointed with what he received. He called them a lost cause. I kinda felt bad for him because he is the one who gets lambasted for the mastering job, but he seemed pretty down about all the comments since there was pretty much nothing that could be done to save them.

And to answer RonWelty, they pay these guys to polish off the album.

Little_Miss_1565
05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
If you don't pay for the mastering, you will metaphorically pay for it later.

Ristifer
05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
If you don't pay for the mastering, you will metaphorically pay for it later.
Yup, exactly.

RageAndLov
05-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Well, I'm sure this Ted Jensen won't screw up mastering the album as much as Butch Vig fucked up mastering Against Me!'s White People for Peace.

If the songs are good its not gonna matter...

Then you haven't heard White People for Peace. It is really a decent song, but completely ruined by the mixing.

Little_Miss_1565
05-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Then you haven't heard White People for Peace. It is really a decent song, but completely ruined by the mixing.

Mixing is very different from mastering, though - which did he do?

Degstur Lolland
05-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Shouldn't producers know how to do that?
Maybe, there are producers and masterers who won't brickwall it, but bands demand it and/or do it on their own.

Rooster
05-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Californication was mastered by Vlado Meller.

True, my bad. I knew there was some connection between Californication and Death Magnetic. I knew Rubin produced both and I thought the second man that worked on both records was Ted Jensen, but it was Greg Fidelman, and he was involved in mixing. My mistake. Perhaps this makes Jensen's claim more likely? I mean, these two albums are often cited as two of the worst examples of clipping, and both were mixed by the same guy?

But it's probably more likely that whoever overcompressed the records was basically forced to do it. If he wouldn't want to, they'd get another man for the job. It's sad, really. There are bands that pay attention about the final product, but it seems like some just don't care much. And then there's the whole industry standard of the whole loudness thing. Bitch please, I have a volume knob, I'm not too dumb to turn it up myself. Soon you won't even have to turn it up all the way to 11, you'll turn the knob to 2 and your stereo will blow up in a huge fireball, infesting your face with CD shrapnels.

Yeah, but you can't believe producers and then not believe engineers just because one guy's name is attached to them.

I read Jensen's comments on Death Magnetic's sound and he seemed genuinely disappointed with what he received. He called them a lost cause. I kinda felt bad for him because he is the one who gets lambasted for the mastering job, but he seemed pretty down about all the comments since there was pretty much nothing that could be done to save them.

Yeah, I've read that too. My first reaction was kinda unfair. I mean, it's not like Ted Jensen is the only guy that is responsible for brickwalled records, it's pretty much a standard for the last decade or so.

jacknife737
05-18-2012, 05:05 PM

Huh?

Really don't hear what you're getting at.... granted it sounds pretty "clean".

cool 2 hate 681
05-18-2012, 06:20 PM
im sure he will do a good job:)

Gregmau5
05-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Where does this info come from?

Dexter_italy
05-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Ron Welty....that shoul be enough :D

Little_Miss_1565
05-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Where does this info come from?

Ron Welty....that shoul be enough :D

LOL. Almost forgot to remind RW that you have to cite sources for this stuff. Thanks guys.

RonWelty
05-19-2012, 03:46 AM
LOL. Almost forgot to remind RW that you have to cite sources for this stuff. Thanks guys.

He is in the credits for both new singles so I guess it's obvious (IMO) that he did the mastering on this record.

Little_Miss_1565
05-19-2012, 11:29 AM
In that case I'd say it's likely but not confirmed.