View Full Version : Noodles radio interview

RonWelty
05-18-2012, 02:18 PM
http://neiltherockstar.blogspot.ca/2012/05/interview-with-offspring.html

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
secrets from the underground and dividing by zero are gonna be TRUPUNX songs

WOOOOOOO!! HELL YEAH

Edit: Now that I got my inner punk out, im still excited to hear the whole album with days go by and cc. I'm sure it is an interesting mix

randman21
05-18-2012, 04:17 PM
My thoughts exactly! Dividing by Zero is such an awesome title that it deserves a hard aggressive sound. Also, he forgot to mention Hurting As One. So that's at least three. :cool:

Degstur Lolland
05-18-2012, 04:24 PM
DBZ is fast and aggressive, does that go together with a funky style?

Little_Miss_1565
05-18-2012, 04:27 PM
DBZ is fast and aggressive, does that go together with a funky style?

Funky meaning funk? I wouldn't think so.

Degstur Lolland
05-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I see that it has the other non-musical meaning.

The Japanese guy said funky style and middle eastern solo. Looks like Da Hui.

cool 2 hate 681
05-18-2012, 06:34 PM
thanks for posting:)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-19-2012, 08:14 PM
I have higher hopes for this album than I originally did.

dff_punk
05-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Great interview, finally at least some insight on the other songs. I have a feeling this album will finally have a strong ending(for example RAFRAG had a really weak ending imho). Looking forward! :)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-20-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm really curious about Slim Pickens

dff_punk
05-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Well, Noodles said the song's got a nihilistic mood, or something like that, so we can maybe even expect a dark song at the end, with a bit of sarcasm maybe? Anyway, the song was mentioned in some interviews, and they only talked about the lyrics and the cultural reference... so musically, we can only guess in what style the song will be. It's a nice mystery that will probably be solved only after we will hear it.

cool 2 hate 681
05-20-2012, 06:40 PM
i think i heard it at the rehearsal from what i heard it sounds punk :)

dff_punk
05-20-2012, 06:45 PM
i think i heard it at the rehearsal from what i heard it sounds punk :)

Sounds cool, but how did you know it was this exact one?

05-20-2012, 06:59 PM
I think it migth have a ska feel to it. At least I'm hoping...

cool 2 hate 681
05-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Sounds cool, but how did you know it was this exact one?

i heard someone asking dexter what song it was and that's what he said

but im not sure if it was or not i think i heard him singing in spanish maybe oc guns:confused:

dff_punk
05-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Haha... guess we need to trust in Dexter. Hmm.. you said it was a punk song and from the interview OC Guns is a more slow-ish song, maybe he sings spanish in both? Or does OC Guns have a punk breakdown? OK I'm giving up, I'm starting to sound like HAU. Let us wait for the album.

Little_Miss_1565
05-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Haha... guess we need to trust in Dexter. Hmm.. you said it was a punk song and from the interview OC Guns is a more slow-ish song, maybe he sings spanish in both? Or does OC Guns have a punk breakdown? OK I'm giving up, I'm starting to sound like HAU. Let us wait for the album.

I think you're closer on the mark than HAU. If Dexter or Noodles haven't mentioned any punk rock elements to OC Guns, maybe there aren't any.

I think it migth have a ska feel to it. At least I'm hoping...

They haven't done a ska song in yeeeears, though. Why start again now, when ska is deader than ever?

GamerKT
05-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Well, Noodles said the song's got a nihilistic mood, or something like that, so we can maybe even expect a dark song at the end, with a bit of sarcasm maybe? Anyway, the song was mentioned in some interviews, and they only talked about the lyrics and the cultural reference... so musically, we can only guess in what style the song will be. It's a nice mystery that will probably be solved only after we will hear it.

Sounds like it'll be Stuff Is Messed Up Part 2, lyric-wise. Probably not sound-wise, though.

05-21-2012, 06:47 AM
They haven't done a ska song in yeeeears, though. Why start again now, when ska is deader than ever?

To bring it baaaack!

Jojan
05-21-2012, 07:20 AM

Don't pick it up, pick it up, pick it up, pick it up, pick it up!

Little_Miss_1565
05-21-2012, 08:37 AM
To bring it baaaack!

I know the Walking Dead is popular and all, but some things should stay dead. ;)

Dexter_italy
05-21-2012, 09:03 AM
I know the Walking Dead is popular and all, but some things should stay dead. ;)

If they would do a ska-core thing I'd be totally into it, but I think we all can relax about it... just a more month to know..

Microwave Jellyfish
05-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Wow, thanks so much for posting this!

I have higher hopes for this album than I originally did.
Me too, I'm really getting eager to hear it. Fingers crossed for CC being one of a kind, huh? :cool:

_Way_Down_the_Line_
05-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Yeah nice interview, he said Diving by Zero and Secrets of the Underground are gonna be fast songs, and add to that The future is now, man the hopes of a good album are coming back as we hear this things :cool:

LIGHTING ROD
05-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Yeah nice interview, he said Diving by Zero and Secrets of the Underground are gonna be fast songs, and add to that The future is now, man the hopes of a good album are coming back as we hear this things :cool:

yeah!!! i want an album more cool and fast than rise and fall!!! of the other songs, no one knows anything?

05-21-2012, 11:20 AM

Idk but i really think the world needs more this without the SO fast rapping/singing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIlOB1BJJzA

But like one of the users said, they should incorporate a more hard aspect to it since today it's all about heavy and hard drums/drums

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I would not be opposed to a ska-punk track. I've really been into some of Rancid's stuff over the past month.

samseby
05-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Nice interview ;)
As for the new album I'm kind of torn actually (don't like ska, don't like Cruising California at all, Days go by is "ok") ...
So we'll see what it's gonna be like in the end and how all this is gonna work out. Could be great though ...

Edit:
Totally forgot about The future is now ... it's "ok" too. My hopes are still on Dirty Magic & the other (hopefully not too skaish) songs I guess ;)

mrconeman
05-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Idk but i really think the world needs more this without the SO fast rapping/singing

But like one of the users said, they should incorporate a more hard aspect to it since today it's all about heavy and hard drums/drums

Thanks for reminding me why I absolutely cannot stand third wave ska.
The only modern ska band that doesn't make me want to saw off my ears is The Slackers (who are awesome) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d35nhhrgumk&feature=related

So no, The Offspring probably shouldn't do ska.

Rooster
05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
My thoughts exactly! Dividing by Zero is such an awesome title that it deserves a hard aggressive sound. Also, he forgot to mention Hurting As One. So that's at least three. :cool:

Wait, who said that Hurting As One is a fast song? I'm not really following these interivews close enough.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, Noodles said that there's a lot of fast stuff on the new album, stuff that fans will instantly recognise, stuff like Dividing By Zero and Sounds From The Underground...

I hope that "like" means there are more than just 3/4 fast songs on the album. If that's really the case CC will bother me even less.

My expectations got higher. So stoked! :D

jacknife737
05-21-2012, 02:02 PM

Somewhere, a single tear just rolled down Dicky Barrett's face.

Llamas
05-21-2012, 02:21 PM

Yuck, that was painfully awful. Please, Offspring. Don't do anything like that.

Thanks for reminding me why I absolutely cannot stand third wave ska.
The only modern ska band that doesn't make me want to saw off my ears is The Slackers (who are awesome) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d35nhhrgumk&feature=related

This is better... more reggae-ish than ska, I'd say. I might have to check out more from them if this is typical. But still wouldn't wanna hear the Offspring attempt this... god, no.

The only ska band I'm really into is Streetlight Manifesto. Their song structures and horn parts are almost too good to get the label "ska".

randman21
05-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Wait, who said that Hurting As One is a fast song? I'm not really following these interivews close enough.

Hmm, I should probably stop talking about Niz's tweets...it's a pain looking for the old ones. :o

New song title: "Hurting As One." It sounds emo, but its not. Its punk. Kinda like "Something To Believe In." -Niz

So I guess he didn't say it's fast, but "Something to Believe In" is pretty fast. :D

05-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Okay, let me redeem myself. Maybe something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEJEpUOkgKM

TheNooseIsFalling
05-21-2012, 04:15 PM
I think ..Rock Bottom did have some (very, very tiny little) ska influence in it, and in that one it sounded really cool, but the overall feel of the song was more hopeful, and I guess that's why I love it that much. Also, now I really hope that the hopefullnes of the new album that Dexter talked about will be something like Rock Bottom

Mark Rooster
05-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Rock Bottom reminds me a little bit of Goldfinger, who were a not-quite-ska band. So that makes sense.

Degstur Lolland
05-21-2012, 07:13 PM
I think you're closer on the mark than HAU.
How? (pun intended) If we talk about OC Guns, that's a slower spanish ska. If Slim Pickens, I say it's anti-war, so is it not? It could still be a darkly sarcastic punk.

---

Fast/Punk stuff:

4 songs:
DBZ & SFTU, fast punk; and TFIN & HAO seems more like a bit faster punkrock, not really No Brakes, Da Hui or All Along.
4 songs:
CC, DGB, DM, OCG, mid tempo, singles or slow
4 songs:
Slimp Pickens already discussed, still very curious about it, let's say it's some darkly funny punk and then there are 3 big ???
I wanna Secret Family (with you)
All I Have Left Is You
Turning Into You
The Japanese guy heard TIY, he said half of it was faster, he knew about CC, SFTU, OCG and TIY, even if it's not true one song could be faster out of 4, that'd make it 5. Then, maybe some mid tempo and something slower. If you want to be very optimistic, then 8 faster songs. Probably 6.

dff_punk
05-21-2012, 08:25 PM
The title "All I Have Left Is You" is giving me a weird Backstreet Boys vibe. It's probably going to be a slow song, even though after Cruising California I would be rather expecting some punkish song. God I'm starting to be impatient.

Little_Miss_1565
05-21-2012, 09:56 PM
How? (pun intended) If we talk about OC Guns, that's a slower spanish ska. If Slim Pickens, I say it's anti-war, so is it not? It could still be a darkly sarcastic punk.

If you're only basing your ideas on what you think it could be based on the song title alone, then the song could just as well be about unicorns and kittens. S'all I'm saying.

Also - where does anyone say it's "spanish ska"?!

XYlophonetreeZ
05-21-2012, 11:32 PM
If you're only basing your ideas on what you think it could be based on the song title alone, then the song could just as well be about unicorns and kittens. S'all I'm saying.

Also - where does anyone say it's "spanish ska"?!
Lost cause, yo. Lost cause.

Degstur Lolland
05-22-2012, 12:45 PM
OC Guns: Spanish tinged--lyrics, slow Mariachi (I think so far Rolling Stone article) Ska-reggae song. (Japanese article described a song as Ska-reggae)

I'm like 99% on this one, but I meshed 2 articles, so let's find them again if it makes sense.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-offsprings-dexter-holland-new-album-is-a-message-of-hope-20120511
Spanish-tinged "O.C. Guns,"
http://www.offspring.com/community/showpost.php?p=1462375&postcount=31
Noodles mentioned about some new songs in Japanese magazine's interview.
He said, "OC Guns" is like a Mariachi reggae song.
http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/International/Arch/ES/TheOffspring/
With DVD and with bonus tracks.
Melodic core, Ska-reggae approach, Dance pop sound. We took a more polished by the playful melodic line. Never before such innovative American rock royal road. Colorful pop album.
http://www.offspring.com/community/showpost.php?p=1462253&postcount=27
"OC Guns" is slow, Mexican sound, with some Spanish lyrics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4vsvLIr-UM video description:
"OC Guns"(slow, Mexican sound, with some Spanish lyrics.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnoM67WaWf0
Shazaam and Niz, ska-reggae mariachi song.

Rooster
05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Hmm, I should probably stop talking about Niz's tweets...it's a pain looking for the old ones. :o

So I guess he didn't say it's fast, but "Something to Believe In" is pretty fast. :D

Ha, nice! I have a feeling this album could be better than RAFRAG. I loved that album, but the second half was a bit lackluster. The first half is brilliant though, and Half-Truism is still one of my favorite Offspring songs.

This time I'll try not to listen any leaks or anything (other than the 3 songs we heard so far, one of which is a live song) until I buy the album. I know that every time I set out to do so I failed, the curiosity always weakened me so I gave in and checked the leak (or in RAFRAG's case, the official streams of the songs). But this time I think I can make it. The thing is, I want to be surprised for the first time I listen to the album. It's just a month from now :)

05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
OMG yes they're doing SKA!!!!!!!

dff_punk
05-22-2012, 08:08 PM
This time I'll try not to listen any leaks or anything (other than the 3 songs we heard so far, one of which is a live song) until I buy the album. I know that every time I set out to do so I failed, the curiosity always weakened me so I gave in and checked the leak (or in RAFRAG's case, the official streams of the songs). But this time I think I can make it. The thing is, I want to be surprised for the first time I listen to the album. It's just a month from now :)

Funny, for me, I'm planning the complete opposite. For the last few albums by The Offspring, I have been resisting leaks and only listened to a few songs before I had the album in my hands, THEN I listened to the whole thing. Now, in the total modern technology age, I don't really care and I'm deliberately planning to not resist the leak. I better enjoy the first listen of a new Offspring album while walking somewhere outside with headphones on anyway, not hearing every song in the same place(for example home), you know? And now, when the era of discmans is definitely over(I actually popped RAFRAG to my portable cd player when walking home from the shop in 2008, lol), I'm just going to download the thing, put it to my player, go somewhere for a walk, put my headphones on and enjoy the hell out of the new album. It's gonna be an awesome feeling.

Why am I writing all this? I really have no idea.

Mark Rooster
05-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Headphones and a walk sound like a great way to listen to a new album for the first time. I usually just listen to it in my room, play the first few songs, then start looking over the booklet. But I like your idea; I think I might listen to Days Go By while taking a nice walk around the neighborhood.

dff_punk
05-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Headphones and a walk sound like a great way to listen to a new album for the first time. I usually just listen to it in my room, play the first few songs, then start looking over the booklet. But I like your idea; I think I might listen to Days Go By while taking a nice walk around the neighborhood.

I do that thing with the booklet too, but maybe when I listen to it for the third time or so. Glad I inspired you anyway, unexpected!