PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new work/references

Llamas
05-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone here has searched for a new job in a case where they don't want their current boss to know they're looking, but they kinda need the reference because it's the only place they've been working for the last year. I moved to Slovenia a year ago, and I hate my boss. He's an ultra-capitalist douchebag who has the American dream in every sense and truly doesn't care about anyone (including his girlfriend and children - I teach his girlfriend, and it's very clear that their relationship is in shambles... but that's another story). He makes empty promises constantly and manipulates everyone he comes into contact with. So I'm starting to look for new work for the fall, but in the event that I don't find a new job, I'm going to need to still work for him. I'm afraid that if I list him as a reference, he'll get a call, figure I'm leaving, and give all my classes away to other teachers.

Anyone ever been in this position? Any thoughts?

Static_Martyr
05-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I actually just got out of a similar situation (this week would've been my last week, but they took me off the schedule early so I could go full-time at my new job). I had similar concerns about letting my boss know I was quitting until I had my new job set up and ready to go....but I imagine it would be a different experience for you, since you have a teaching job. With my line of work, they don't usually even contact my references, so I didn't really have that problem.

I guess I would say, just try to apply somewhere where you know you have a really good shot at getting the job, or maybe apply at multiple locations to improve your odds. That way, if and when the current boss gets that call, you'll be that much more likely to be on your way out the door. Other than that, I don't really know....I don't have much experience job-hunting, to be perfectly honest.

Harleyquiiinn
05-22-2012, 03:25 AM
I think you need to be honest with your potential new employer. He's probably going to ask you why you want to leave anyway. so you don't say "well, my employer is a douchebag" but you say "I have difficulties with my employer and I think I need to leave. The problem is I also need a job so I don't want him to know right now..."

Funny you ask this now, because that happened to me well... yesterday. I had an interview with a new firm. It was easy though because the reason I want to leave my current firm is because I am paid a month late. So I have a fairly good reason.

Llamas
05-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the responses, you two. It seems like such a simple problem, but I just couldn't think of any solutions.

I actually just got out of a similar situation (this week would've been my last week, but they took me off the schedule early so I could go full-time at my new job). I had similar concerns about letting my boss know I was quitting until I had my new job set up and ready to go....but I imagine it would be a different experience for you, since you have a teaching job. With my line of work, they don't usually even contact my references, so I didn't really have that problem.
Hey I'm glad it worked out for you - so you're not at that place with the bitches anymore?

Yeah, in Slovenia, it's hard because everyone knows everyone, and I didn't realize it was a threat at the time, but when I first was hired, my boss told me that all the private language school teachers in Slovenia know each other, so if someone slips up, everyone knows. That was definitely a threat. Plus there's the fact that, yeah, teachers don't work in the summer, so the boss has a couple months to replace someone, and he can even just give my classes to other teachers without hiring anybody new. So I could be really screwed if he found out and I needed the job in the fall.

I guess I would say, just try to apply somewhere where you know you have a really good shot at getting the job, or maybe apply at multiple locations to improve your odds. That way, if and when the current boss gets that call, you'll be that much more likely to be on your way out the door. Other than that, I don't really know....I don't have much experience job-hunting, to be perfectly honest.
Yeah, I'm sending my CV to a ton of public schools and even private ones, as well. I'm really hoping to find something else for next year, and I think my chances are good.

I think you need to be honest with your potential new employer. He's probably going to ask you why you want to leave anyway. so you don't say "well, my employer is a douchebag" but you say "I have difficulties with my employer and I think I need to leave. The problem is I also need a job so I don't want him to know right now..."
This is kinda great advice. I don't know why I didn't think of it. It also helps that I'm trying to find work in a public school, and as we all know, public and private sectors don't really get along with each other... so they'd probably be pretty sympathetic if I simply told them I had issues with the filthy capitalist owner of my school and that I need to leave and work somewhere that actually cares about the students, and not about capital growth ;) ;)

Funny you ask this now, because that happened to me well... yesterday. I had an interview with a new firm. It was easy though because the reason I want to leave my current firm is because I am paid a month late. So I have a fairly good reason.
Guh! A month late! My boss has been pulling that kind of crap lately, too, but I wouldn't have expected that from a law firm! So did you get the job?

Little_Miss_1565
05-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Is there anyone else at the school that has been having problems with the boss that would serve as your reference? I've had co-workers or other higher-ups that didn't directly supervise me be my references in cases where I was trying to find another job without having to notify him that I was looking.

Llamas
05-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Is there anyone else at the school that has been having problems with the boss that would serve as your reference? I've had co-workers or other higher-ups that didn't directly supervise me be my references in cases where I was trying to find another job without having to notify him that I was looking.

All the teachers hate him, but the thing is that teachers can't give other teachers references because we don't actually "work" together. A teacher doesn't really know how someone else teaches. It's a very small business, with only the owner, his assistant (who is also a teacher), and several teachers. So I don't really have any coworkers or any other higher-ups. The assistant has known my boss since childhood. She's a sweetheart to a point where she never speaks up no matter how he treats her. She makes 4 euros an hour to do everything he needs and wants, and is basically on call 24 hours a day (when he goes to the US, he'll call at like 4am and she has to answer). But if she found out I was looking for other work, she'd definitely tell him. Not because she'd want to get me in trouble, but because she'd feel it was her duty and she'd probably end up tasked with the job of finding a replacement for me because my boss delegates as much work as possible to his drones.

I do have two references from students in CZ, and I could possibly get references from some of my current students. They wouldn't tell him, as they have nothing to do with the school. However, usually references from students aren't enough because they don't know how a teacher is in terms of working with the school.

Harleyquiiinn
05-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Guh! A month late! My boss has been pulling that kind of crap lately, too, but I wouldn't have expected that from a law firm! So did you get the job?

We have that saying in french that says "les cordonniers sont toujours les plus mal chaussÚs". Litterally, that means "The shoemakers always have the worst shoes".

Basically, that means that even if you are good at something, you don't do it for yourself.

Well, that exactly what it is. If a friend of mine was working for a company that wouldn't pay him, I would yell for him untill he was paid.

For me ? well, I'm a coward.

But I guess you meant that as lawyers, they should respect our contract, which is a good point but no. They consider that we have a lot to learn from them and therefore, we should just accept and not complain. That is a very common thing in small/middle firms. Of course, you don't have these problems in huge law firms cause it works like a company... but the work is also less interesting...

Anyway, I might get the job. The partner really liked me but we are negociating the price so it is not sure yet.

Good luck on your research. I always feel it's really not easy to change your job...

Justinebradshaw
05-23-2012, 02:14 PM
yeah id be honest

killer_queen
05-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Get yourself a rich and old husband. Or find a young one and prepare a clever plan to murder him. Even that would be easier than dealing with a douchebag as a boss.

Llamas
05-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I'd really love to screw him over sometime... get him in trouble with the law, because he breaks several... but the problem is that he never gave me a contract (none of the teachers have contracts), and he pays us in cash - also meaning he doesn't pay taxes on our salaries - so he's basically off the books and I'd have no proof that I ever taught for him or anything. My fault for taking the job... somehow I stupidly trusted him. He's got great psychology and manipulation skills. He does it to all of us. The best way for me to hurt him is to find another job, and then quit a week before classes start in the fall. The problem with being a teacher, though, is that doing that also hurts the students. But at this point, I see it as it'd probably cause some of the students to quit taking lessons at his school and he'd lose business. Plus I could email all my students at the same time as I email my boss, and explain to them why I'm leaving. I dunno, I'm pretty serious about this. I've never, ever wanted to get back at ANYONE like this - especially not a boss. But this guy is hurting many people, and he's got the parents manipulated into thinking he's doing something great for their kids, while he pushes us teachers to give them the answers to their homework and help them on the exams so that they look like they've made huge progress and learned a ton.

Beaker
05-24-2012, 01:28 AM
I had this problem and put the job in my previous work but used other references from other work and the university i attended.

I now have the best job for my qualififcations and the best boss and i work for a great company. Basically i lucked out.

my sisters are both teachers, older is primary and twin is secondary. My twin was recently diagnosed with temperal lobe epilepsy and tumours at the brain stem. Her boss has threatened to fire her because she misses days to see her neurologist. It just shows most bosses are arse holes. you may even have the same problem at your next job, and teaching is so competative (in Aus it is). Just give it your best shot and show off your experience, qualifications and skills.

Llamas
05-24-2012, 05:23 AM
My twin was recently diagnosed with temperal lobe epilepsy and tumours at the brain stem. Her boss has threatened to fire her because she misses days to see her neurologist. It just shows most bosses are arse holes.

Holy shit. One of the teachers where I work actually told me a few months ago that she got hired because a teacher disappeared. Like, literally. She stopped showing up to work one day, when they called her phone it was turned off, and they never heard from her again. And apparently my boss's reaction was to get super mad, and "fire" her in case she came back. He kept trying to call her to tell her she was fired... When I heard this, it put a pit in my stomach and was the first sign maybe my boss isn't such a great guy.

I've never worked for anyone this douchey before, and I've taught in 6 different "schools" (since I teach for private companies, it's normal to teach a few lessons for different schools - divide your work up). This is the first time I worked for someone with zero empathy. I think if I find work in a public school, it'll be different.

Duskygrin
05-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Totally off-topic. Are you bilingual in Czech, by now? Was it easy to pick up? And why the Czech Republic?

Llamas
05-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Totally off-topic. Are you bilingual in Czech, by now? Was it easy to pick up? And why the Czech Republic?

Oh, I don't live in Czech anymore. I moved last summer, and I guess I've been too lazy to change where I am on here. I picked up some Czech in the two years I was there, enough to get around and ask/answer direct questions. But no, it was never a fluent thing. I'm bilingual in German, though. And now I live in Slovenia and would like to learn the language, but it's very hard here because literally everyone can and wants to speak English.

Duskygrin
05-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Ah, those silly foreigners!
And thanks for the info.

Harleyquiiinn
06-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Oh, I quit my job last wesneday by the way. Still there for a little while. I normally have to do 3 months but I won't so I don't know when they will let me leave.

And I also got a new job in another law firm. Hope it will be better...

Edit : I know know, it's not livejournal and all, but I felt like saying it here. So fuck you.

Llamas
06-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh, I quit my job last wesneday by the way. Still there for a little while. I normally have to do 3 months but I won't so I don't know when they will let me leave.

And I also got a new job in another law firm. Hope it will be better...

Edit : I know know, it's not livejournal and all, but I felt like saying it here. So fuck you.

Good for you! I also hope the new job is better :) :)

I'm sending my CV out this week, and for my references, I listed my landlord, a former boss in CZ, and one of my current students (not a child/teen; she's a doctor). That way I do have a boss, even if it's a former boss, so they can make sure I'm responsible for the admin work and that I'm not a problem on that level, but they can also check on my current work - all without dealing with my current boss :)