PDA

View Full Version : Your original exposure to The Offspring

cjbischoff
05-24-2012, 06:31 AM
When/how did you first "discover" the band? Guess I'll start:

When Smash came out, a co-worker asked if I knew the name of the song where the singer kept singing "A-ha, A-ha". I was clueless until it popped up on the radio, then bought the CD just for Pretty Fly. Loved the entire disk off the bat, it was my go-to music when I was on my bike, the high energy was perfect for climbing hills. Then came my three wonderful children, too busy to spend much time with music other then Barney tunes. Fast forward 18 years and I now have free time, back to biking, and The Offspring is still here. And still excellent.

Dexter_italy
05-24-2012, 06:38 AM
are you telling me that a radio passed pretty fly 4 years before it was released?

Lord Phidias
05-24-2012, 08:23 AM
This guy is from the future, he sent us this message from 2016.

effreyj
05-24-2012, 08:36 AM
The Future is Now!

jorikvandeven
05-24-2012, 08:42 AM
i saw a pingpong video on youtube once with TKAA in the background.
i looked through the reactions, and then i started listening punk.

Krojd
05-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Back in 1989 I heard Blackball on czech radio, I liked it. One month later I was born.

Britpunk
05-24-2012, 10:46 AM
COAP. '94. mtv.

BagOfShenanigans
05-24-2012, 10:54 AM
> 2001 or 2002
> Christmas day
> Had heard the song Pretty Fly and asked for an Offspring CD
> Last present - Small square package
> Conspiracy of One
> Shit bricks
> Listen to it in new MP3 CD player (Remember when they were considered high tech?)
> Favorite songs were tracks 2-6. I listened to the rest, but my immature brain kept bringing me back to Original Prankster.

Fast forward some years.

> Get a Playstation 2
> Play Crazy Taxi every damned day
> Hear about new album, 'Splinter'
> Never really got into it, but I saw the music video for Hit That a several times on MTV.

2 years later.

> Brother buys me the Greatest hits album
> Listen to why don't you get a job, come out and play, and all I want.

6 years later.

> On youtube
> Decide to look up Original Prankster for nostalgia's sake
> Expecting to hate the song, and laugh at my former immaturity.
> Song is more awesome than I remember
> Listen to every one of their albums, and begin to listen to the offspring radio widget thingy.

And a few months later I joined this forum.. So yeah.

GamerKT
05-24-2012, 10:54 AM
I don't remember exactly how or why, but I started listening to The Offspring like crazy when I started college two years ago.

Little_Miss_1565
05-24-2012, 11:00 AM
I heard "Gone Away" on the radio while I was waiting for my mom to pick me up from the school bus stop one day after school.

(Just read that over again and LOLed. So much LOL.)

XYlophonetreeZ
05-24-2012, 11:14 AM
I think I was in 7th grade in 1998-99. During homeroom, I think I went to go get help on a math assignment, so I went into the math teacher's classroom and all of the students she had for homeroom were listening to music (she was the "cool" homeroom teacher and let kids listen to music in her room and didn't even really care if words like "bitch" and "dick" were in the lyrics). That was a good thing, because everyone was listening to "Why Don't You Get a Job." I thought it was kind of a cool song, but I didn't love it or anything. I liked it enough to look up the Offspring, though, and I think I discovered Pretty Fly on some really early music download site (Audiofind maybe?). I was really uncool in those days and wasn't even aware of most mainstream music, and was totally unaware of Americana or anything they'd done previously. I didn't listen to the radio except in my carpool on the way to school, and that was more of an alternative 70s/80s/90s station and they just basically played anything contemporary and innocuous, like Sheryl Crow, Dave Matthews Band, Goo Goo Dolls, The Cure, and U2. They didn't play the Offspring.

Well, anyway, I shortly thereafter discovered that other radio stations existed and started listening to 96Rock, the local rock station. One day I heard "Come Out and Play," and it became my favorite song instantly. I still thought the Offspring were a new band, though, and so I went to a store and looked for their album. Of course, Americana was the one out on display. Didn't bother looking at the track listing on the back, I just excitedly went up and bought it. I quickly discovered that they'd had several albums and COAP was not on Americana, but no matter, it became my favorite album anyway. And it didn't take me long before I got Smash and Ixnay, having discovered some Ixnay songs via the DVD extra on Americana. Shortly after that, I got S/T and Ignition, and then shortly after that, CO1 came out. Ixnay and Americana are my two favorites to this day, though.

Also, when I heard that the Offspring were rockin' up MTV (inb4sk8erboi), I started watching MTV and instantly became a way cooler young person. Nah, I was still lame. But I knew what people around me were talking about way more often after that.

holland25
05-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Self Esteem
VIVA II (the German one)

TheOldMark
05-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Z100 radio in New York, early-mid 94.

DarrellOCguy
05-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Heard Bad habit when i was 15 and Stupid dumbshit goddamn motherfucker had me hooked for life. Smash is definetly the album i have played the most and will always be my favorite

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-24-2012, 07:10 PM
This guy is from the future, he sent us this message from 2016.

are you telling me that a radio passed pretty fly 4 years before it was released?

The Future is Now!

Back in 1989 I heard Blackball on czech radio, I liked it. One month later I was born.
I've read so many funny things so far today, but these four posts are definitely the funniest (in context with the conversation).

aintnoballnchain
05-24-2012, 07:38 PM
I was 10 years old back in 1999 and saw the video for Why dont you get a job on TRL...then i bought Americana...then listened to all their other stuff as time went on and the rest is history...been a fan for 13 years :cool:

cjbischoff
05-24-2012, 08:58 PM

My bad, album dyslexia. There goes my street cred. Yo.

Defender
05-24-2012, 11:54 PM
I heard "Pretty Fly" on MTV in 1998(I was 15) and something made me wanna hear more & more & more... I said to myself: this style sounds sooo good!
Then "The Kids Aren't Allright"-video came out and that's it... I fell in love with them! I liked "Why don't you get a job" and started to search for their songs on my friends' music collections! "Self esteem" & "Come Out & Play" came into my collection. Then I borrowed "Americana" from a friend. The first album I bought was "Conspiracy Of One" in 2000 and I became an Offspring fan officially! I got all of their albums in a few months. "Smash" was the second, "Ixnay On The Hombre", "Americana", "Ignition" and 'S/T". Memories....

TheJakes84
05-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Americana era 1998.
The Kids Aren't Alright.
The Offspring fan for life.
:cool:

Jojan
05-25-2012, 03:25 PM
I have a vague memory of hearing Self Esteem when I was about six years old, which was in the year 1994. But it could, of course, have been a year or so later. The intro stayed with me for a while.

But being aware of them was first in 1998 when Pretty Fly (for a White Guy) came and my brother downloaded it. I listened to it a lot. Then in 1999 when my sister said that she was going to see them, I asked if I could go with her and we did.

A couple of weeks before the show, my sister and I went to a record store and I bought Americana and she bought Smash.

Outerspaceman21
05-25-2012, 04:35 PM
1998, MTV, Pretty Fly

the hitcher
05-25-2012, 06:06 PM
1994 keep em seperated
ahh days go by, dont they (sorry had to say it):o

sneedo83
05-26-2012, 07:12 AM
^ same, I remember hearing COAP in 94 and thinking what in the fuck is this, it's amazing, then it didn't really gel until '99 when I was old enough to start buying CDs and stuff for my self, ever since then I'm a crazed Offspring fan.

Camilamazed
05-26-2012, 02:09 PM
1994. My puppy woke up in the middle of night so I had to let her eat and play for a little while. Turned the radio on to keep me awake, and there Come Out and Play - I was awake all right.

Miss the golden age of radio stations that played more music than commercials. =/

MAXTER
05-26-2012, 02:13 PM
97 or 98 GONE AWAY on MTV

AD90
05-29-2012, 02:33 AM
Heard Come Out And Play a fair bit when I was younger (probably 6 or 7), loved it, and when I was 8, I bought Americana. Have been hooked ever since.

TheNooseIsFalling
05-29-2012, 02:38 AM
That's a very good question...TKAA was the first Offspring song I heard when I was a kid, through my brother I think, but at the time I didn't really realise that there were bands behind the songs that I'd heard (the songs that my brother was listening to), so a couple of years had to pass before I could really become a "fan" of the band.

-Ignition-
05-29-2012, 04:06 AM
I saw the Pretty Fly music video on tv and thought it was funny. Then Americana came out and a friend brought it to school and I liked it. I bought Americana and within a year I had bought all the earlier CDs too. The Offspring was my first favorite band and has been ever since.

julabard
06-03-2012, 02:41 AM
Come Out and Play was Raven's music in ECW back in the 90's. I asked my friends what the hell this music was, and when I found out, I checked out Smash. That's what happened.

Krojd
06-06-2012, 11:21 AM

Alright, since that's not true (wow, what a shock!) I come clean. I remember seeing All I Want on tv back in 1997, I was 8 years old it was little bit strange and heavy for me but I liked it My first favourite artist/band or even contact with music! Couldnt find/buy Ixnay, then Americana came and that was it - first record I bought ever. So I started listening to music with The Offspring, they've been, are and will be always my numero uno, I owe them they brought me to rock music.

_Lost_
06-06-2012, 12:22 PM
The big hits would always get played on the radio stations my mom listened to. Much like Basket Case, the singles from Smash kind of got ingrained in the background of my childhood. Then, my brother bought Americana on cassette when Pretty Fly got really popular. So he started buying other cds and I was like "OH I know these songs!" By 2001, I was waaayyy too into them. EVERYONE knew who my favorite band was and all about their history.

_Way_Down_the_Line_
06-06-2012, 01:29 PM
All I want, in the Video Game Crazy Taxi, you hear this one already right? :D

then i search the band and found ixnay on the hombre, I loved way down the line, mota, meaning of life, so i searched more and bought a friend of mine said he had an offspring cd, yeah it was Americana, I borrowed it but he never go it back xD he ended up giving it to me for a birthday present or something like that.

Lets say I liked the offspring for the style of those songs which are my favs, along with one fine day for an example, and that's why I decided to go this way, I think since then I started to really realize what kind of music I liked.

snapsleftguitar
06-07-2012, 06:39 PM
i was in a grocery store in 1999 when I was 12 and The Kids Arent Alright started playing on in-store radio. I asked an employee what it was and he told me it was The Offspring. I asked for a guitar that christmas and I started playing guitar and listening to The Offspring.

its now 2012 and I'm nearly 26, been playing guitar nearly 13 years, played in many bands, played countless live gigs, been led on to other bands such as Billy Talent, The Used, Rise Against, Green Day, Nirvana, Rise Against, All American Rejects, Simple Plan, Pennywise.....and it all started with The Offspring.....

.....still my favourite band, that I was lucky enough to be introduced to by that nameless grocery store employee.

tylercosgrove1989
06-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Back in 1998 or 99 my sister went on an 8th grade Washington D.C. field trip and bought Americana from a mall. When she got it home she started listening to it and I remember wanting to be in the room with her just because I loved whatever it was she was listening to. My conservative parents didn't think it was suitable for an 8th grader to listen to so they confiscated it from her. I went on a mission from god and stole it out of their room because I needed to hear that sweet music. I would secretly listen to it all the time. Americana was the only album I would listen to until 2004 when I was on vacation and I heard Self Esteem on the radio. Once I got home I got every Offspring album in existence and soon realized I loved every song they ever made. The rest is history.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-08-2012, 01:57 PM
its now 2012 and I'm nearly 26, been playing guitar nearly 13 years, played in many bands, played countless live gigs, been led on to other bands such as Billy Talent, The Used, Rise Against, Green Day, Nirvana, Rise Against, All American Rejects, Simple Plan, Pennywise.....and it all started with The Offspring.....

I also like Rise Against. And Rise Against!