PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't Dexter have enough money?

Dexter_H
05-24-2012, 06:10 PM
So Dexter and the rest of the band are obviously loaded. Why then, does Dexter go out and say bullshit like "fans change, we just write music that we think people want to hear"? Is he a pin head?

The Offspring had a chance to be a classic band, that in 20 or 30 years people would listen to and think "wow these guys were good". But Dexter's hunger for more money and to please the masses, rather than himself and the rest of the band got in the way. The Offspring is now a joke band.

I was reading a book that had the best and most influential albums of all time, and Smash was included. The spiel about the band described how they went on to become something of a novelty act and a joke. That's before they even heard this cruising california crap.

People will obviously say that the song is a joke and a parody of the music industry or whatever other excuses help them sleep at night. For someone who listens to that song on the radio they will think it sounds the same as everything else and probably buy it, without having the slightest idea that the song is a "joke". Most of the lyrics of pop music these days is just random words thrown in with autotune and some beat that comes preset into a keyboard.

Surely, after you've achieved as much as the Offspring have, can't you just stop trying to please prepubescent teens like some school child? Dexter needs to give the other members some say in what happens, not just dictate. We have seen the consequences of this; first Ron and them Atom. From the stuff Noodles keeps posting he still thinks he's "punk", well then why not tell Dexter to stop being a dick. I guess this "punk" attitude is coming from the man who has said every upcoming album since Americana will sound like Smash.

Pull your heads in.

jacknife737
05-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Stop being an idiot.

DMelges
05-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Do this. Start a band. Do better.

dff_punk
05-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Not gonna react to everything, but:

But Dexter's hunger for more money and to please the masses, rather than himself and the rest of the band got in the way.

How does this sentence even make sense? You really think he doesn't enjoy what he's doing and he's just doing it for the masses and money. NOT HIMSELF? :D Of course he's doing it for himself, he said a billion times how he loves to play music and make something great. No matter how many of it actually sells.

And another point. I'm really tired of people saying that after Smash or Ixnay, The Offspring changed their style, are a joke band, etc. This is imho total bullcrap and people who say that don't listen properly and deep enough to their newer work. While they added the elements of poppier stuff and tend to experiment with multiple genres now, on EACH new album, at least half of the songs there is, are classic Offspring punkrock numbers, of which some of it hypothetically would be on Smash(but with Smash production maybe, musically still the same song), it would fit in there like a butt on the toilet seat. People just always close-mindedly hear the hits while not paying attention nor to the music or the lyrics to all the later stuff. The spirit is still there. Maybe just the nostalgic value isn't, and you're perceiving the new material as something poppier and not Offspring.

I'm a really calm person btw. Just needed to vent this out. What was I going for again?

TeddyBear_Army
05-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Do this. Start a band. Do better.

THIS!

Also, you're entitled to have your opinion, but don't state it as fact, for fuck's sake.

brothadave79
05-24-2012, 07:01 PM
"I know no one's gonna buy our album, but I still spend two years trying to make a great record. . . If you're in a band, if it's really what you care about, then that stuff isn't what's important."

Your point is invalid.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Are you ashamed of your username now? :)

GamerKT
05-24-2012, 07:57 PM
You're dumb.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-24-2012, 07:59 PM
You're dumb.
I hope you meant Dexter_H, and not me.

Little_Miss_1565
05-24-2012, 08:46 PM
For fuck's sake, dude. Your point is invalid. You're trying to hold Dexter responsible for you not liking some of the songs they've done for this album, which isn't fair.

You always know how a Bad Religion or Pennywise album is going to sound. It's rad, but predictable. The Offspring have never been a band like that, and it's ridiculous for them to start in on that now.

And seriously, if you're going to rip Dexter a new one for something he said, quote him accurately when you do.

/thread