PDA

View Full Version : Questions to ask the Offspring

dexter85
05-27-2012, 02:08 AM
My dear fellow fans

I'm going to interview the band after their concert at Skive Festival in Denmark on wednesday, and I would like to give you guys the opportunity to suggest some questions. Not that I don't have any questions myself (I have tons), but I thought it'd be a good idea to hear what someone besides myself would like to know about either their new album or the ongoing Ignition-tour.

GamerKT
05-27-2012, 02:27 AM
"If you couldn't pick Dirty Magic, which song from Ignition would you have chosen?"

nightvision
05-27-2012, 02:34 AM
"Will you EVER come to Sweden again?"

Oxygene
05-27-2012, 02:57 AM

It boggles the mind, how ... never mind.

RonWelty
05-27-2012, 03:12 AM
"Why Cruising California as first single in most European countries?" or "why two first singles?"

TheNooseIsFalling
05-27-2012, 03:13 AM
"Are you guys gonna play Cruising California live anytime soon?" That would be fun

GamerKT
05-27-2012, 03:53 AM
"Are you guys gonna play Cruising California live anytime soon?" That would be fun

Yeah, as polarizing as that song is, it would definitely be fun at a concert.

Sara MZK
05-27-2012, 04:16 AM
My question to the band is this:

"Do you ever tire of constantly playing the same songs (the "hits") all the time, when you have such a vast catalogue of amazing songs, some of which you have very rarely played, or even never played live?"

Yeah, as polarizing as that song is, it would definitely be fun at a concert.

Just so long as it doesn't become a setlist staple... it certainly isn't worthy of that!

GamerKT
05-27-2012, 04:27 AM
My question to the band is this:

"Do you ever tire of constantly playing the same songs (the "hits") all the time, when you have such a vast catalogue of amazing songs, some of which you have very rarely played, or even never played live?"

Just so long as it doesn't become a setlist staple... it certainly isn't worthy of that!

They've answered this in a recent video. They said that it does kind of get annoying, but they keep playing them and it gets past that to a point where the songs become a part of them. Also, positive crowd reactions help.

TripleDK
05-27-2012, 04:32 AM
How come it took you so long to get back to Denmark?

Sara MZK
05-27-2012, 04:35 AM
They've answered this in a recent video. They said that it does kind of get annoying, but they keep playing them and it gets past that to a point where the songs become a part of them. Also, positive crowd reactions help.

Hmm... I'll need to think of another question then... haha

I think the true Offspring fans do want to hear a lot more songs than just "the hits", and I think the band should be thinking about that portion of their fanbase more. I can see why they play the same songs constantly... it's just frustrating because they have so many great songs in their discography that never get an airing... in that regard, I think they should take a leaf out of Metallica's book. They've been able to find a good balance between playing expected "standards", and playing the lesser known "album tracks". I'd love it if The Offspring could do the same. :)

randman21
05-27-2012, 04:56 AM
I've been wondering this the whole time and before it's said and done, I will NEED to know.

"You guys said that you were looking at old demos to possibly include them in Days Go By. How many made it to the album?"

Sara MZK
05-27-2012, 05:18 AM
I've been wondering this the whole time and before it's said and done, I will NEED to know.

"You guys said that you were looking at old demos to possibly include them in Days Go By. How many made it to the album?"

Awesome question, and I was just about to ask the same thing! lol

Okay, here is my new question to the band, which perhaps each member will give a different answer to: :)

"What is your favourite track on Days Go By, and why is it your favourite?"

Jojan
05-27-2012, 05:40 AM
"Are you happy?"

Mr.Nobody
05-27-2012, 05:59 AM
My question is about CC:
" is the melody of the ocarina or whatever it is of CC a rip off of another song"
We heard one EXACT RIFF one week ago in other thread, that is a interesting point. :cool:

dff_punk
05-27-2012, 08:56 AM
My question is about CC:
" is the melody of the ocarina or whatever it is of CC a rip off of another song"
We heard one EXACT RIFF one week ago in other thread, that is a interesant point. :cool:

Am I the only one who thinks that discussing an questioning these "rip-off" matters are a bit annoying?

Anyway, if I'd be there, I would ask: "Would any of you guys jam with me on guitar, perhaps sing a song?" (<-- that's my dream :o). But since I'm not there, one of the questions I might ask would be: "Dexter, can you decribe your most typical songwriting process?"

martin_theoffspring
05-27-2012, 09:08 AM
why they make songs like CC when punk made ​​them great?

GamerKT
05-27-2012, 11:14 AM
why they make songs like CC when punk made ​​them great?

Probably because they think it's fun/hilarious.

martin_theoffspring
05-27-2012, 11:50 AM
alright... it's funny?
track 12, like when you're in prison. so is funny

but why single?

what are you thinking people who do not listen offspring for years?
....hey guys the offspring are back, their first single is CC. oh fuck! the offspring has not back...

I think people listen to this single is going to disappoint, I do not think they understand the "joke"
with a history of change in Pretty Fly... why this time is a joke?

if the disc has 8-10 songs of punk rock. why CC is single?

cool 2 hate 681
05-27-2012, 11:52 AM

i think that's a great question:)

Llamas
05-27-2012, 12:10 PM
"why two first singles?"
Best question so far. I'm very curious about this, and whether or not the band had any say in this. Also, if they know, what influenced the decision of which song would be released where?

How come it took you so long to get back to Denmark?

My god, with people like you guys asking the questions, this interview would be a real snoozefest. Let's ask them about EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY they haven't been to in a while or have never been to! That sounds exciting! :P

I like this question, too. For some reason, I have a feeling they'd answer it sarcastically or indirectly, though :P

Possible answers:
1) They tried it before and it was successful (Pretty Fly, and even Original Pranksters, were silly non-punk singles...)
2) They didn't feel like any of the other songs on the album would be as good of singles as CC or DGB.
3) They didn't have much say over it, and the record company made the exec decision.
4) Some people like making money, and CC is probably a bigger money-maker than 99.99% of "punk" songs.

RageAndLov
05-27-2012, 12:22 PM
My question:
"Will Pass Me By be on the next album then?"

Jojan
05-27-2012, 01:06 PM
I would ask Pete "What do you have, tough guy?"

Degstur Lolland
05-27-2012, 01:07 PM
"What is your favourite track on Days Go By, and why is it your favourite?"
My question is about CC:
We heard one EXACT RIFF one week ago in other thread, that is a interesant point. :cool:
I like those questions.

As for me, I watch closely all the info about the new album and they haven't touched 2 songs at all:
All I Have Left Is You
I Wanna Secret Family (With You)

If you don't want to ask about a specific song, I'm curious what topic is their favourite in any of the new songs. Maybe we will get lucky and find out which one is Death, Superhero movie or My gf is a bitch song.

Then, which song they did with Ronnie King.

Or, in which one does Noodles play a guitar solo.

Japanese DVD.

Japanese bonus tracks.

Also, how many additional demos came out of Days Go By album.

Llamas
05-27-2012, 01:37 PM
"Dexter, this is a direct question to settle debates on the BBS: would you call Cruisin' California a joke song, or is it just a fun song?"

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-27-2012, 01:47 PM
"Dexter, this is a direct question to settle debates on the BBS: would you call Cruisin' California a joke song, or is it just a fun song?"

This and ron's question are probably the best

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-27-2012, 01:55 PM
alright... it's funny?
track 12, like when you're in prison. so is funny

but why single?

what are you thinking people who do not listen offspring for years?
....hey guys the offspring are back, their first single is CC. oh fuck! the offspring has not back...

I think people listen to this single is going to disappoint, I do not think they understand the "joke"
with a history of change in Pretty Fly... why this time is a joke?

I don't like this song at all, but the constant negativity eventually becomes annoying. Let's keep it in the proper thread.

CC is probably a bigger money-maker than 99.99% of "punk" songs.
That's depressing.

Llamas
05-27-2012, 02:07 PM
That's depressing.

I dunno, is it? It's depressing when stuff that hurts people makes money, when it makes money to be racist or sexist or homophobic or something... but a lot of people liking music I don't like isn't really depressing to me. A great, great amount of music I love or like would never show up on one of those "charts"... I like artists who aren't even signed, and don't even WANT to be signed. I like artists that have actually turned down major label offers. I kinda dig the fact that when the average person scrolls through my Zune, they don't know who 75% of the artists are. I'm not opposed at all to liking super famous stuff, as well, but I can't imagine finding it depressing that the music I love isn't the kind that makes a ton of money, because the business side of music isn't what I love about it. :)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-27-2012, 02:19 PM
but a lot of people liking music I don't like isn't really depressing to me. A great, great amount of music I love or like would never show up on one of those "charts"... I like artists who aren't even signed, and don't even WANT to be signed. I like artists that have actually turned down major label offers. I kinda dig the fact that when the average person scrolls through my Zune, they don't know who 75% of the artists are. I'm not opposed at all to liking super famous stuff, as well, but I can't imagine finding it depressing that the music I love isn't the kind that makes a ton of money, because the business side of music isn't what I love about it. :)
You changed my opinion. I agree. As a kid, 99% of my friends are into the top ten pop artists at all times. I love the expression on my friends' faces when they realize I listen to albums, not just singles. I also like that half the bands I like were/are successful, but not successful enough for most people to know about them. It's fun not listening to what the majority listens to. You're right.

I suppose I just thought that it is depressing that good music doesn't get as much fame as the synthetic stuff.

Llamas
05-27-2012, 02:22 PM
You changed my opinion. I agree. As a kid, 99% of my friends are into the top ten pop artists at all times. I love the expression on my friends' faces when they realize I listen to albums, not just singles. I also like that half the bands I like were/are successful, but not successful enough for most people to know about them. It's fun not listening to what the majority listens to. You're right.
Yeah, and it's fun to show people music they've never heard before. :)

I suppose I just thought that it is depressing that good music doesn't get as much fame as the synthetic stuff.
Well, I see what you're saying, but by that logic, the music we like (like the Offspring) is synthetic and it's depressing that stuff like that gets more fame than "raw" music like classical and jazz... I don't agree with that view, but I'm just saying it's the same idea.

Sara MZK
05-27-2012, 02:24 PM

That's a good question! As a joke song, it is palatable. As a fun song... well let's just say I think they've done far better ones in the past.

TheJakes84
05-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Ask them if they are ever going to retired any time soon. Or what are their plans for the future. Any side alone projects have in stored. Or a tenth record and tours.

samseby
05-27-2012, 11:41 PM
"Are you happy?"
Like that ;)

Slightly OT:

... why this time is a joke?

When - if ever - will people eventually get that it is just a fun song and not a joke song ... (no hidden messages, no deeper meaning, no sarcasm, no mocking)?

- Do you have a message for your fans? :D
- I'm running out of GB - would you trade a bottle of it for a bottle of Jaegermeister? :p

On a more serious note:
Is there any chance you might play "Dirty Magic" acoustic live or "Gone away" in the piano version (again)?

TripleDK
05-28-2012, 01:03 AM
My god, with people like you guys asking the questions, this interview would be a real snoozefest. Let's ask them about EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY they haven't been to in a while or have never been to! That sounds exciting! :P

To justify my question:p

If they're being interviewed at Skive Festival, then they actually are in Denmark :D

And they haven't been here since I was 4 or something.

BagOfShenanigans
05-28-2012, 06:15 AM
- Do you have a message for your fans? :D

Didn't they talk about this question in a podcast?

samseby
05-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Yep they did ;)

Dexter_italy
05-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Question to Dexter: How do you train your voice? what's your warm up like?

to noodles: You've been arrested and condamned to death, what's your last desire, a cigarette or a beer? :D

_Way_Down_the_Line_
05-28-2012, 01:35 PM
dexter did u take a "baggy of Oregano" to the studio while making cruising californa? cause that would make sense and it will make most of us happy :D

XYlophonetreeZ
05-28-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm interested in a couple of things.

Ask Dexter if he can still play the drums (like in the "Garage Days" video) and if that helps him write drum parts. Also it would be interesting to ask him to describe the process after he writes songs and brings them to studio. I'm curious how he tells/shows the other guys what to play, and if the songs often get changed around after that.

Also: Which song was the most unexpected hit, and which song should have been a hit that wasn't?

gabrielsouz
05-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Ask them if they gonna release a DVD from these concerts they are doing to celebrate the 20th aniversary of IGNITION.

and PLEASE, Aky them Why they have never played She's Got Issues in their shows.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-28-2012, 05:09 PM
dexter did u take a "baggy of Oregano" to the studio while making cruising californa? cause that would make sense and it will make most of us happy :D
That would help explain it.

samseby
05-29-2012, 05:15 AM
What about something completely unrelated? :p
Guess it might be a little unnerving to have to answer the same questions in various phrasings in various interviews over and over again ...

What do you know about Denmark? ;)

dexter85
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi guys

Did the interview with Dexter and Noodles right before their show at Skive Festival in Denmark on wednesday.
First of all I wanna thank you for your suggestions. I wrote some of them down and got some time to ask the band a couple of them.

One of you asked if there were any songs that the band had expected to be bigger, and Noodles said that he thought Dirty Magic and Amazed could've been bigger. On behalf of all the Amazed-fans I replied that they should play it live sometime.
Dexter said that Want You Bad didn't get as big as he'd expected.
They also said that they always hope their songs become monster hits but they never expect them to. Here they mentioned Come Out And Play and Self Esteem.

Regarding two first singles: The band wanted Days Go By to be the first single, but the record label wanted Bumpin in My Trunk so they made a deal which is why there are two first singles from the upcoming album. But as Noodles said, they want all of the songs on the album to become monster hits.
They said that Days Go By is a "straightforward rock song" and that Bumpin' is a fun song about a day at the beach and that they put a lot of effort in the music.

One of you asked about the songwriting process. Well, usually the band members meet up in the studio and work together on the songs from scratch so they all contribute from the beginning to the end of the writing process and they try out different ideas.

For those of you who understand Danish, here's the article: http://gaffa.dk/artikel/61221

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi guys

On behalf of all the Amazed-fans I replied that they should play it live sometime.

You are awesome.

cool 2 hate 681
06-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Hi guys

Did the interview with Dexter and Noodles right before their show at Skive Festival in Denmark on wednesday.
First of all I wanna thank you for your suggestions. I wrote some of them down and got some time to ask the band a couple of them.

One of you asked if there were any songs that the band had expected to be bigger, and Noodles said that he thought Dirty Magic and Amazed could've been bigger. On behalf of all the Amazed-fans I replied that they should play it live sometime.
Dexter said that Want You Bad didn't get as big as he'd expected.
They also said that they always hope their songs become monster hits but they never expect them to. Here they mentioned Come Out And Play and Self Esteem.

Regarding two first singles: The band wanted Days Go By to be the first single, but the record label wanted Bumpin in My Trunk so they made a deal which is why there are two first singles from the upcoming album. But as Noodles said, they want all of the songs on the album to become monster hits.
They said that Days Go By is a "straightforward rock song" and that Bumpin' is a fun song about a day at the beach and that they put a lot of effort in the music.

One of you asked about the songwriting process. Well, usually the band members meet up in the studio and work together on the songs from scratch so they all contribute from the beginning to the end of the writing process and they try out different ideas.

For those of you who understand Danish, here's the article: http://gaffa.dk/artikel/61221

cool thanks for the info:)

samseby
06-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Yeah thanks a lot :)

Krojd
06-02-2012, 01:12 AM
So I put it in the Google translator (not so bad translation for this thing!). Nice interview, cant find the Amazed part tho, is it there? :o

dexter85
06-02-2012, 02:05 AM
So I put it in the Google translator (not so bad translation for this thing!). Nice interview, cant find the Amazed part tho, is is there? :o

Unfortunately not. Some of the Q&A's wasn't used in the article because of the article angle which was primarily about being nostalgic/looking back at your career now with the Ignition-tour & re-recording of Dirty Magic, and of course the new album.

By the way, I also wanted to ask them if they are still in touch with Ron but I totally forgot! Do any of you know anything about this?

Degstur Lolland
06-02-2012, 03:29 AM
I don't think we know anything about Ron, recently. His band went nowhere and now I guess he helps new bands.

The article was really cool and extensive, but I'd still like to know more facts about the record. :d

dexter85
06-02-2012, 03:54 AM
Regarding the new album, they said that we can expect songs from different spectras. You know, a little bit of the experimental/fun style and also songs that sounds like the "old offspring punk" or how you would say it.

We also asked them if the development in the sound from Ignition to Days Go By reflect their own personal development or the development in music itself, and here's what Noodles said:
"As we’ve done this more and more, we’ve tried to experiment a little bit more with different musical styles and take what is good about The Offspring and add them to different musical styles. That’s kept it interesting for us, we hope that the fans enjoy that as well and so far it seems to have worked for us so we’re not afraid to take chances in that regard. And I think we’ve become better players, we’ve learned a lot from all of the different producers that we’ve worked with, the technology that’s available now is amazing compared to what we had."

Sara MZK
06-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Damn, my question didn't get asked! lol :(

Still nice to read their answers to those questions though. xD