PDA

View Full Version : Million Miles Away

OffspringDude
05-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Why is this song never played live? To me it is a typical Offspring style song and is just basically pretty rockin!

I think it was played at Wembley 2001 and at MuchMusic 2001 but that was it?

Is it boring for them to play live, vocals, or is it one of them songs that just doesnt play well live ?

dff_punk
05-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Well as you can see from the videos, the chorus is pretty hard to sing, Dexter struggles a lot. But maybe with the new gained energy and stuff like that, they might be able to pull it off quite nicely. More likely it's just a forgotten song in their tremendously big catalogue.

Krojd
05-28-2012, 07:38 AM
They play it in the UK. For instance Download 2008, Brixton 09, Leeds 11... I wouldnt be surprised if they played it at the Ignition show in London.

OffspringDude
05-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Ok, this has now turned in to an official request for them to play Million Miles Away at London! :D

So if they are reading this.... ;):D

Sara MZK
05-28-2012, 08:04 AM
They did play it when I saw them in 2001. I think it was a regular fixture of setlists during the Conspiracy Of One tour, but since then, it has been rarely played. Which is a shame, as it is one their best songs... :(

TheNooseIsFalling
05-28-2012, 08:19 AM
I think it's one of their most underrated songs, it has everything I love about the offspring, it might have been one of the first songs that really got me hooked to them. I really don't get why they play those Americana songs so much, and I don't mean just the more popular ones like Pretty Fly. Dexter said in an interview that lately Staring at the Sun is especially fun for him to play, but I'd rather hear any newer song live, from TFIN or CC to Takes Me Nowhere than Walla Walla or Americana again.

Defender
05-28-2012, 08:40 AM
It's not the only song that they don't play live. They don't play many others,too. That's a good question to ask them. I am sure they have some reason.

P.s "Million Miles Away" is one of my favorites of all time and the best track on "Conspiracy Of One"

OffspringDude
05-28-2012, 08:43 AM
YeaH I guess to be fair there are "fun songs" to play live, I guess SatS is just Dexter's favourite and he has always said that Americana is an album that he is proud of so fair play :)

BagOfShenanigans
05-28-2012, 09:20 AM
So many choices; so little time.

With over 100 songs to choose from, some songs - albeit great songs - are simply lost.

Degstur Lolland
05-28-2012, 10:40 AM
The best one on CO1. They should play Amazed too!

RonWelty
05-28-2012, 10:47 AM

the best one is Vultures.

Tommyboy
05-28-2012, 10:47 AM

A great suggestion of Amazed. That song is def near the top of my list.

Krojd
05-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Hell yea, Amazed is the very top of all songs.

OffspringDude
05-28-2012, 11:24 AM
I will just leave this here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbQYPhXmU1U&feature=related

Puschka
05-28-2012, 11:33 AM
I think the same but also with She's Got Issues! I've herd they only played She's got Issues once but I never found it! Offspring please play She's Got Issues, Million Miles Away and Amazed! :D

Sara MZK
05-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I think it's one of their most underrated songs, it has everything I love about the offspring, it might have been one of the first songs that really got me hooked to them. I really don't get why they play those Americana songs so much, and I don't mean just the more popular ones like Pretty Fly. Dexter said in an interview that lately Staring at the Sun is especially fun for him to play, but I'd rather hear any newer song live, from TFIN or CC to Takes Me Nowhere than Walla Walla or Americana again.

Yep... Even Americana, which is usually the album where most of the band's setlists draw on most heavily, features 4 songs that have either never been played live, or very rarely played live. It's the same songs from Americana that get played over and over again.

Staring At The Sun is a great song, as is Walla Walla and Americana, but for sure, I wouldn't mind those songs not being played for a while, to give more neglected, very underrated tracks their chance to be played.

Talking of Takes Me Nowhere, that is perhaps my very favourite song from RAFRAG, and yet it has been completely ignored by the band... how? It's a fantastic song! Certainly far better than YGGFK which has hogged most of the glory from that album...

KTILLA23
05-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Talking of Takes Me Nowhere, that is perhaps my very favourite song from RAFRAG, and yet it has been completely ignored by the band... how? It's a fantastic song!

I thought i was the only who thought that Takes me Nowhere was one of the best song from RAFRAG. I think they only played it once live. :( I hope one day we can get a pro shot of it.

I can't find a recording of Million Miles Away being played live in 2011, does anyone have it?

Sara MZK
05-28-2012, 12:39 PM
I thought i was the only who thought that Takes me Nowhere was one of the best song from RAFRAG. I think they only played it once live. :( I hope one day we can get a pro shot of it.

I can't find a recording of Million Miles Away being played live in 2011, does anyone have it?

They've played it only once? That doesn't surprise me, I wasn't even aware they'd played it at all... lol :( Yep, I really hope that they start giving that song more live outings. It's one of my fave Offspring songs!

All I can find of Million Miles Away in 2011, is a 30 second fan flimed clip from the Leeds Festival...

jsmak84
05-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Spacca! Spakka!

SeanAshmore
05-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Great song! They played it live in Glasgow during the CO1 tour :)

Sara MZK
05-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Great song! They played it live in Glasgow during the CO1 tour :)

They did indeed, and I was actually at that show! :)

TheJakes84
05-28-2012, 01:05 PM
I will just leave this here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbQYPhXmU1U&feature=related

Request it! :) MMA, just like that one dude with the MOTA sign. One of my favorite songs live. Totally rocks my world!

OffspringDude
05-28-2012, 01:06 PM
I just hope they reading this, that song rockssssss

Come on, ill even play the rhythm guitar on stage if Dexter doesn't wanna do it :P (he can sing) :D

Degstur Lolland
05-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Vultures is great too, but I think MMA is more natural for them, Vultures is Nirvanish.

I'd like to see them play:
- Something to believe in
- Amazed
- No brakes
- Million miles away (Come out swinging, Living in chaos)
- Spare me the details
- A lot like me

TheJakes84
05-28-2012, 01:17 PM
@ OffspringDude: Yep, that'd be so rad, indeed. :D So down to go, if it ever happens. :D Heck, I'll even stage dive and stuff. :)

KTILLA23
05-28-2012, 01:17 PM
They've played it only once? That doesn't surprise me, I wasn't even aware they'd played it at all... lol :( Yep, I really hope that they start giving that song more live outings. It's one of my fave Offspring songs!

All I can find of Million Miles Away in 2011, is a 30 second fan flimed clip from the Leeds Festival...

That's all i could find too. :( Anyways here's the link to i believe the only recording of Takes Me Nowhere, there's even a download link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOeEJmiJdww

Sara MZK
05-28-2012, 01:18 PM
I'd offer to play the lead guitar, but that role is already filled by Noodles... :p

Though that is a good point... someone mentioned a possible reason for the song not being played often, is that it's difficult for Dexter to sing. Surely if that is the case, he should just not play guitar during that song, which would make the job of singing it a lot easier. There's already certain songs where he just sings and doesn't play guitar, so why not do that for Million Miles Away too, if he finds singing it difficult.

As someone who plays guitar and also sings, I can vouch for the fact that singing is more difficult if you're playing guitar at the same time.

dff_punk
05-28-2012, 01:26 PM
I'd offer to play the lead guitar, but that role is already filled by Noodles... :p

Though that is a good point... someone mentioned a possible reason for the song not being played often, is that it's difficult for Dexter to sing. Surely if that is the case, he should just not play guitar during that song, which would make the job of singing it a lot easier. There's already certain songs where he just sings and doesn't play guitar, so why not do that for Million Miles Away too, if he finds singing it difficult.

As someone who plays guitar and also sings, I can vouch for the fact that singing is more difficult if you're playing guitar at the same time.

While I completely understand and as a musician with the same abilities as you, I kinda agree, the possible reason why they wouldn't play Million Miles Away with one guitar might be that there are two guitars used with different riffs and such, the song might feel empty when they play it with just one guitar(what a long sentence, whew). Anyway this argument may be invalid since they are already playing with Todd on 3rd guitar so the harmonies might still be there. Anyway, just a speculation.

TheNooseIsFalling
05-28-2012, 01:29 PM
That's all i could find too. :( Anyways here's the link to i believe the only recording of Takes Me Nowhere, there's even a download link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOeEJmiJdww

Wow, I actually searched for this yesterday because I knew they played it once or twice in Japan, but I couldn't find it, thanks a lot! And if I'm not mistaken they also played Rock Bottom at one of those shows, and on the US tour in '10 they played A Lot Like Me and Fix You, right?

SeanAshmore
05-28-2012, 01:35 PM
They did indeed, and I was actually at that show! :)

At the SECC? Awesome! Was a great show! Saw them again in the same place during Splinter tour. Atom was drumming for them at the time, not sure how popular this comment will make me but I really preferred his drumming live, so much more power to it than Ron.

Lord_Gabo
05-28-2012, 01:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9f4xUHy-3w

live in brixton, Was There

Sara MZK
05-28-2012, 01:42 PM
While I completely understand and as a musician with the same abilities as you, I kinda agree, the possible reason why they wouldn't play Million Miles Away with one guitar might be that there are two guitars used with different riffs and such, the song might feel empty when they play it with just one guitar(what a long sentence, whew). Anyway this argument may be invalid since they are already playing with Todd on 3rd guitar so the harmonies might still be there. Anyway, just a speculation.

I would say that Million Miles Away would sound empty with only one guitar, but for a few years now they have been playing with a 3rd back-up guitarist live. And from the Rock In Rio footage at the weekend, it looks like they've gotten Ben Stiller (or is it Eli Roth? lol) as their new back-up guitarist! :p

If they didn't have the added live guitarist, I could see the problem with Dexter dropping the guitar for that song, but really, what's the point of having an extra live guitarist, if not to help out in situations like that? It is just speculation, as nobody knows for sure if it's not played live often due to Dexter finding it hard to sing it, it's only an assumption...

@KTILLA23: Thank you for that live recording of Takes Me Nowhere! Even with poor audio quality, it sounded amazing!

OffspringDude
05-28-2012, 01:46 PM

Thats rad! Thanks!

Dexter_italy
05-28-2012, 01:55 PM

we were so happy listening to it!!! :D

dff_punk
05-28-2012, 02:05 PM
If they didn't have the added live guitarist, I could see the problem with Dexter dropping the guitar for that song, but really, what's the point of having an extra live guitarist, if not to help out in situations like that? It is just speculation, as nobody knows for sure if it's not played live often due to Dexter finding it hard to sing it, it's only an assumption...

This question has boggled my mind too for some times, why do they have him when for most Offspring songs two guitars are more than sufficient. I believe it might have been discussed here numerous times, just don't recall the most adequate and reliable answer. My guess is that since they don't have Higgins anymore, they really need that "fifth guy" on stage, not only to play guitar, but also to help with vocals(he sings a lot of gang vocals and also harmonies from what I saw) and mabye to make the sound of the whole performance more... massive? Can't come up with a good word for what I want to describe now :D

As for the topic, there is a ton of Offspring songs that would sound awesome live. Literally a hundred of songs.

Krojd
05-28-2012, 02:11 PM
they've gotten Ben Stiller (or is it Eli Roth? lol) as their new back-up guitarist! :p

Naaah, thats Todd. He's with The Offspring since 2009.

Dexter_italy
05-28-2012, 02:12 PM
well Dexter plays guitar on half set... the other half would sound empty without the second guitar, and in studio they use 3 guitar parts in some songs, tkaa for example. and yes he does hell of backing vocals! Higgins used to play guitar, backings and effects, now there's todd to play and the effects (give it to me baby, and one and two and three and four... etc) are done in the backstage.

@gabo, here's a better version of that night :D you can see us too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzVW-6ZiKRs&feature=related

Degstur Lolland
05-28-2012, 02:13 PM
One of the unusual reasons for a 5th guy is his visibility. To help him find a job or whatever.

Dexter_italy
05-28-2012, 02:17 PM
One of the unusual reasons for a 5th guy is his visibility. To help him find a job or whatever.

he doesn't need it.... he's in H20, was in Juliette and the Licks, and he is in operation md.... he is THE TODD goddamnit!

Sara MZK
05-28-2012, 03:47 PM
At the SECC? Awesome! Was a great show! Saw them again in the same place during Splinter tour. Atom was drumming for them at the time, not sure how popular this comment will make me but I really preferred his drumming live, so much more power to it than Ron.

Yep, I was at that very same show! And yep it was great! :) I was also at that show during the Splinter tour at the SECC! lol

To be honest, I can't remember much about the drumming during that show (the Splinter one), but I do remember the drumming during The Noose at that show which was awesome I have to say!

This question has boggled my mind too for some times, why do they have him when for most Offspring songs two guitars are more than sufficient. I believe it might have been discussed here numerous times, just don't recall the most adequate and reliable answer. My guess is that since they don't have Higgins anymore, they really need that "fifth guy" on stage, not only to play guitar, but also to help with vocals(he sings a lot of gang vocals and also harmonies from what I saw) and mabye to make the sound of the whole performance more... massive? Can't come up with a good word for what I want to describe now :D

As for the topic, there is a ton of Offspring songs that would sound awesome live. Literally a hundred of songs.

I have wondered that myself... why would they spend money on a 3rd guitarist for live situations, when two guitars are more than sufficient. But then again, as we all know, Dexter doesn't play guitar during every song, so that could be part of the reason why they feel another guitarist is needed. I see what you mean about the vocals, but would Greg and Noodles not be sufficient enough for the backing vocals role? And I know what you mean... hehe :)

Yes, there is a shedload of Offspring songs that would sound amazing live, that have been lying dormant for years, or never even played outside of the studio... Hopefully we'll get to hear at least some of them in the future.. with any luck, Dexter reads these forums from time to time! lol

@Degstur Lolland: Does that mean when they play Why Don't You Get A Job? They're playing it for Todd? :p

TheJakes84
05-28-2012, 03:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQowimgt3Y

KTILLA23
05-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Wow, I actually searched for this yesterday because I knew they played it once or twice in Japan, but I couldn't find it, thanks a lot! And if I'm not mistaken they also played Rock Bottom at one of those shows, and on the US tour in '10 they played A Lot Like Me and Fix You, right?

No problem, I don't remember them ever playing Rock Bottom but i'm probably wrong. But yes they played A Lot Like me in 09 in Texas twice on back to back nights, but somebody took down the only recoding of it on youtube. :( And i don't think anyone has it for download. And i think Fix You was only played once in 09 in Sioux City, Iowa. But Dexter messed it up he says "I wish could heal you" twice, not "I wish i could Fix You". Anyways here's the link to i think the only recording of Fix You. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf-ME-D4erQ

Degstur Lolland
05-28-2012, 05:05 PM
I guess it's just fun to have him then.

he doesn't need it.... he's in H20, was in Juliette and the Licks, and he is in operation md.... he is THE TODD goddamnit!
Yeah, you are right, but I guess a lot of Offspring fans will check them out because of it...

cool 2 hate 681
05-28-2012, 05:23 PM
No problem, I don't remember them ever playing Rock Bottom but i'm probably wrong.

they played it once in japan in 2008

i think it is the best song on rafrag and if it would have been the 3rd single it would have done much much better then kristy

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-28-2012, 05:48 PM
They should play Amazed too!
Yes! Definitely. That's one of my all time favorite songs by them.

I'd like to see them play:
- Something to believe in
- Amazed
- No brakes
- Million miles away (Come out swinging, Living in chaos)
- Spare me the details
- A lot like me
I agree with all of those except SMTD. I like that song, but for some reason I'd rather not see it live.

BigFish
05-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Takes Me Nowhere is probably my favorite song from Rise and Fall. Rock Bottom is up there too. It always pisses me off so much because my favorite songs on almost every record are the ones that never get played live. I'll Be Waiting, Race Against Myself, Takes Me Nowhere, The End of the Line, She's Got Issues, Denial, Revisited, and Rock Bottom are some of the best songs they have IMO and NEVER get played. Race Against Myself is the one that bugs the most I'll probably never hear live. I don't even think they ever did play it.

Degstur Lolland
05-29-2012, 05:23 AM
Race Against Myself, I had it with Spare me the details, but I reduced it...it's a different kind of rock for them, but I love it.

keonii7
05-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Million Miles Away is by far my favorite Offspring song. Guitars, and the overlapping vocals at the end are awesome.

Lord_Gabo
05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
@gabo, here's a better version of that night :D you can see us too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzVW-6ZiKRs&feature=related

I remebered that there was a better version, but i put the first one that i've found on the tube :D (Little bit lazy!)
..and..in ALL that video u can see... and REMEMBER THE FLAG!

Mark Rooster
06-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Conspiracy of One has so many great songs, it's hard for me to say which is my favorite. Million Miles Away is up there, but I think Come Out Swinging might be my favorite track on that album.

TheJakes84
06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Every single album has a bunch of great songs. I dunno, like I seem to dug 'em all. Ya'll dig it! :o