PDA

View Full Version : "Clean" version

chris9012
05-29-2012, 01:30 PM
I only resently found out about these "clean" albums. I don't really get that censorship, so I've got a few questions.

Would anyone (on the board) actualy buy a clean album? Or would someone not buy it if it wasn't clean? Is it just beeped/blacked on the disk, or is it also in the inlay book? Is this just an USofA thing, or do they also have them in europe/somewhere else?

BagOfShenanigans
05-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Would not buy a clean album.

If I couldn't find the explicit version, I'd just steal the songs off of the interwebs, and buy the album when the explicit version became available.

Llamas
05-29-2012, 02:03 PM
When I pre-ordered Splinter in 2003 from Offspring.com, they sent me the Clean version. It sucks. Where there's a cuss, it's just silent. "I won't with Da Hui!" The booklet is marked out, too. I never repurchased it because the band already got my money for it, so I just downloaded the normal versions.

cool 2 hate 681
05-29-2012, 02:20 PM
i bought splinter from wal mart not knowing their were 2 versions so i got the stupid edited one :mad: eventually i had to re buy the album

Mark Rooster
05-29-2012, 03:32 PM
No one who's a music fan should ever shop at a Walmart. That company is more responsible for music censorship than any other corporation.

I know amazon listed a "clean" version of the new album, but their listing for the regular version doesn't indicate a Parental Advisory. If the record doesn't get a PA warning, then a clean version won't be made.

the hitcher
05-29-2012, 03:38 PM
surely we will be abel to coose between the two. aventualy.

BagOfShenanigans
05-29-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm only buying it from Target because I have a gift card, and I never, ever, ever shop there.

Also, I don't know about any music stores nearby. Probably because I've never looked on account of rarely ever buying CDs.

Ristifer
05-29-2012, 03:52 PM
No one who's a music fan should ever shop at a Walmart. That company is more responsible for music censorship than any other corporation.

I know amazon listed a "clean" version of the new album, but their listing for the regular version doesn't indicate a Parental Advisory. If the record doesn't get a PA warning, then a clean version won't be made.
It must be just a US thing, because Wal-Mart in Canada doesn't censor its records. At least, they don't where I live.

Also, DGB has a PA logo on it if you click on the link to pre-order it on offspring.com. If you click the 'explicit' link for iTunes, there's a PA logo on the cover.

Mark Rooster
05-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Oh really? Huh. It doesn't seem to take an awful lot to get PA label these days. Albums like Ixnay or Dookie would never get away without one, if they were released nowadays.

Little_Miss_1565
05-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh really? Huh. It doesn't seem to take an awful lot to get PA label these days. Albums like Ixnay or Dookie would never get away without one, if they were released nowadays.

A little knowledge from my days in the music industry: Ixnay and Dookie would get them for the same reasons they would have gotten them at any other point - you can cuss in passing and not get a PA sticker, like saying "shit" or "fuck" a couple times on the whole album. But as soon as it becomes an action or description, like "fuck you" or discussion of pissing/shitting or graphic sexual language, it gets the PA.

Wal-Mart only requires clean versions of albums with PA stickers.

sneedo83
05-29-2012, 04:43 PM
One thing that I have never been able to figure out is why in YGGFK Dexter didn't just record Dance Punker Dance for the radio version, the silence in the fucker part is a mood killer.

Mark Rooster
05-29-2012, 04:50 PM
"You know one thing punkers don't do?"
"What?"
"Call themselves punkers."

-- dialogue from Freaks and Geeks

sneedo83
05-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Luckily he wouldn't be referring to himself in the context, also he probably wasn't one of the 4 people that watched Freaks and Geeks.

BagOfShenanigans
05-29-2012, 05:44 PM
One thing that I have never been able to figure out is why in YGGFK Dexter didn't just record Dance Punker Dance for the radio version, the silence in the fucker part is a mood killer.

I've heard many alterations of 'fucker' for that song.
Lover
Brother
Sucker
Bleeper
Mutha
So far they all suck. Especially this one, as it espouses the idea that everyone listening to the song is a 'punker' - which is already a stupid word, and should be discarded as a word.

No offense, of course.

Llamas
05-29-2012, 05:47 PM
It's also been subbed with "baby", which was dumb. I'm cool with "sucker," actually.

Little_Miss_1565
05-29-2012, 05:54 PM
I think it's lame to change lyrics to make them more palatable. "Fucker" or nothin, y'all.

BagOfShenanigans
05-29-2012, 06:00 PM
It's also been subbed with "baby", which was dumb. I'm cool with "sucker," actually.

I just frown upon censorship in general, it seems to only serve to slander the original purpose that the author intended; while protecting the eyes, and minds of hyper-sensitive soccer moms and their ugly children.

What is the purpose in censorship anyways? Like anyone will live their entire life without hearing the word 'fuck'. And what's so wrong with these words anyways? They aren't bad words. They're just misused and misrepresented.

And maybe it's just me, but it seems to be encroaching on my freedom of speech. Or maybe I've misinterpreted the US constitution. Or perhaps; just perhaps; I haven't read the double asterisked fine print at the bottom of the amendment that reads '** We reserve the right to thoughtlessly ban legitimate words from usage in mass electronic communication at any time. **'

Anyways, yeah. Censorship is dumb.

AD90
05-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Fuck censorship and Gore's whore.

Llamas
05-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Definitely agree with the last two - Edit: three - posts. I remember when Alanis was forced to change "I can be an asshole of the grandest kind" to "I can be a nightmare of the grandest kind." That doesn't even carry the same meaning, and she called herself an asshole... how is that even possibly offensive? People are dumb.

brothadave79
05-29-2012, 06:15 PM
I've heard many alterations of 'fucker' for that song.
Lover
Brother
Sucker
Bleeper
Mutha
So far they all suck. Especially this one, as it espouses the idea that everyone listening to the song is a 'punker' - which is already a stupid word, and should be discarded as a word.

No offense, of course.

I always liked "Puppet."

jacknife737
05-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Come on guys, somebody please just think of the children!

Llamas
05-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Come on guys, somebody please just think of the children!

Fuck the children! Stupid little shits!

Supa
05-29-2012, 08:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEBi3ie9brw

TheJakes84
05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Oh, hail to the motherfucking NO. :mad: The clean version it will sound awfully shitty. :( *ugh*

The Offspring New Album Pre-Order
Hey Fans,
The Offspring's new album Days Go By is now available for pre-order on iTunes in the United States and includes an exclusive live bonus recording of "The Kids Aren't Alright" only available through iTunes during the pre-order period. The album, featuring "Days Go By" and "Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk)" will be released on June 26.

Pre-order Days Go By on iTunes NOW!
Explicit: http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/days-go-by/id529598203
Clean: http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/days-go-by/id529598326

The Offspring
Days Go By

1 The Future Is Now
2 Secrets From The Underground
3 Days Go By
4 Turning Into You
5 Hurting As One
6 Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk)
7 All I Have Left Is You
8 OC Guns
9 Dirty Magic
10 I Wanna Secret Family (With You)
11 Dividing By Zero
12 Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell
13 The Kids Aren't Alright (Pre-Order Only) (Live)

Offspring.com

julabard
06-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Just the fact that 'clean' versions exist make me sick. It makes the music less genuine and more sucky.

Little_Miss_1565
06-03-2012, 10:36 AM
No one is forcing you to buy the clean version. If you don't support it, don't buy it. The explicit version will be widely available.