PDA

View Full Version : Best albums so far of 2012

Llamas
05-30-2012, 02:28 PM
2012 has already been a damn good year for new records, I must say. A lot of great stuff has been released just within the first five months, and I think it's time for one of these threads where we talk about what we've listened to.

So far this year, I've heard the following new albums:

Santigold - Master of my Make Believe
Fun. - Some Nights
Garbage - Not Your Kind of People
Regina Spektor - What We Saw from the Cheap Seats
Eve 6 - Speak in Code
The Used - Vulnerable
Tennis - Young and Old

And a few I've downloaded but haven't really given a chance to yet:
Kimbra - Vows
Yann Tiersen - Skyline

The best I've listened to so far, though, is Regina Spektor's. Holy shit. Not only is it her best work to date, but it's one of the best albums I've ever heard. I downloaded it three days ago and I already know all the songs and most of the lyrics. I can't stop listening to it. She re-discovered the balance between quirky and gorgeous, and it's perfect here. The dark songs are simply incredible, and the quirky songs aren't TOO quirky but just the right amount of fun (the last album was way too silly, she seemed to have lost the balance and just went overboard).

Otherwise, Santigold's album is pretty killer, and I dig Garbage's and The Used's and Tennis's outings. Eve 6's album is pretty god-awful. Very disappointing.

cool 2 hate 681
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
so far new albums i heard this year are

Eve 6 - Speak in Code
Anti-Flag - The General Strike
Pennywise - All or Nothing
Matt Skiba And The Sekrets - Babylon
theHELL EP

if i had to pick a favorite it would probably be pennywise

Llamas
05-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Ooh, what, what, what is this?? What is Matt up to? Any good?

Little_Miss_1565
05-30-2012, 04:42 PM

It's *dope*

cool 2 hate 681
05-30-2012, 04:45 PM

it's a project with hunter burgan from afi on bass and the new drummer for my chemical romance it's ok but i think his project with atom willard is better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHurwF3hd_A

Llamas
05-30-2012, 06:03 PM
it's a project with hunter burgan from afi on bass and the new drummer for my chemical romance it's ok but i think his project with atom willard is better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHurwF3hd_A

Which band is the link? What are the names of each band?

jacknife737
05-30-2012, 06:31 PM
My clear front runner for album of the year (so far):
-The Menzingers - On the Impossible Past

Stuff that has a good chance of making it into my yearly top 10:

Brendan Kelly and the Wandering Birds - I'd Rather Die than Live Forever
Cheap Girls - Giant Orange
John K Sampson - Provincial
The Real Mckenzies - WestWinds
Joyce Manor - Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired
The Sidekicks - Awkward Breeds
Hot Water Music - Exister

Honorable mentions:

theHELL -- Self Titled EP

cool 2 hate 681
05-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Which band is the link? What are the names of each band?

the one in the link is the project with atom willard it's called the hell

his other project is called matt skiba and the sekrets that's the one with hunter from afi and the drummer from my chemical romance

so far the hell only have 1 ep but are working on a full album

and matt skiba and the sekrets put out a album and matt said there would be a second one in the future:)

Gregmau5
05-31-2012, 12:29 AM
Last Dinosaurs - In A Million Years

I only checked this band out because two of the members used to go to my school, and one of my friends who graduated a couple of years ago used to hang out with one of them. But I've gotta say, they're pretty good.

Defender
05-31-2012, 02:05 AM
The only 2012-album I have heard till now is "Garbage-Not your kind of people" and is very good. I have spent my time listening to older albums (Cure,Ramones,Doors,Offspring etc) since January but I think it's time to start looking for new ones. I am taking a look at your lists and reviews right now;)

Llamas
05-31-2012, 04:04 AM
the one in the link is the project with atom willard it's called the hell

his other project is called matt skiba and the sekrets that's the one with hunter from afi and the drummer from my chemical romance

so far the hell only have 1 ep but are working on a full album

and matt skiba and the sekrets put out a album and matt said there would be a second one in the future:)

Great, thanks for the info! I'm gonna check out both... I'm often not a fan of Matt's side projects, but I enjoyed Heavens and I like some of his solo work. So we'll see! And working with dudes like Atom, Hunter, and the MCR drummer sounds pretty awesome.

Edit: I found Matt Skiba and the Sekrets' album, but I can't find theHELL's. Anyone kind enough to share? :)

I think it's time to start looking for new ones. I am taking a look at your lists and reviews right now;)

That's pretty much the point of this thread! That's why I made it... I usually check for album releases on metacritic, but they don't tell you about everything, and people here often know about some other cool stuff :)

RageAndLov
05-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Classics of Love - S/T
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

That's it.

huckit
05-31-2012, 01:54 PM
SOUNDFUCKINGARDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wake up ppl:cool:

Outerspaceman21
06-01-2012, 01:33 AM
So far, I've been satisfied with whats been coming down the pike. At the moment, my favorites so far are No Trigger's "Tycoon" and Anti-Flag's "The General Strike". Pennywise's new album is alright, haven't really been listening to it that much. Cancer Bats just released a new album, but I have yet to check that out. I've been going back and catching onto music that came out in the last 2-3 years and listening to that, as well as even older stuff, like Misfits. I never realized how much I like the Misfits. Anyways, I have a lot to look forward too, like Days Go By and the new A Wilhelm Scream rumored to be coming out this year (haven't been hearing a lot from them, their site is down :()

TheJakes84
06-01-2012, 03:16 AM
The Offspring - DGB :eek:

Retard
06-18-2012, 12:08 PM
New Bouncing Souls is really good. That Santigold album is pretty chill, along with the new Beach House. I honestly can't think think of anything else but I know there's been a shit load. I just don't have the best memory.

Llamas
06-18-2012, 12:26 PM
The Linkin Park album is pretty damn good upon first listens. If you liked A Thousand Suns, this one is definitely worth checking out - I'd say it's a bit better than that one.

Defender
06-18-2012, 11:07 PM
The Linkin Park album is pretty damn good upon first listens. If you liked A Thousand Suns, this one is definitely worth checking out - I'd say it's a bit better than that one.

I am curious about it. I am gonna listen to it today and I 'll make a review:)

disclaimer_07
06-19-2012, 04:29 PM
In chronological order:

Safety - "Night Lights"
The Offspring - "Days Go By"

dorkrockcorkrod
06-19-2012, 05:11 PM
So far...

Classics of Love - S/T
House Boat - 21st Century Breakroom
Municipal Waste - The Fatal Feast
Ceremony - Zoo
Mixtapes - Somewhere in Trinsic EP (I'm sure their full-length will be here too!)
The Hextalls - Rock You To Sleep
Fear of Lipstick - Seasons
Lemuria - Varoom Allure 7"
The Fake Boys - Pig Factory
No Trigger - Tycoon
The Thing That Ate Larry Livermore compilation

And The Offspring's Days Go By seems to be pretty good too. ;)

Outerspaceman21
06-19-2012, 08:38 PM
so, fucking love Day's Go By. That's definitely my favorite album so far. I hate to say it in this thread because I know after today there is gonna be a ton of people saying it's their favorite album of the year and it feels cheap for me to say that right on the band's forum like a mindless fanboy.

MAXTER
06-20-2012, 02:29 AM
Days Go By Rules!!! :)

Tomo
06-20-2012, 04:42 AM
Days Go by and Linkin Park's Living Things both share my top spot so far, and let me tell you, it'll take an effort to top these two albums!

Llamas
06-20-2012, 05:13 AM
so, fucking love Day's Go By. That's definitely my favorite album so far. I hate to say it in this thread because I know after today there is gonna be a ton of people saying it's their favorite album of the year and it feels cheap for me to say that right on the band's forum like a mindless fanboy.

It's a good album, though. I'd nominate it, though it's not the best I've heard this year... it's up there, though.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-22-2012, 03:37 PM
So, With Lions' EP Equipo is pretty fantastic, even if their singer is Thom Yorke's vocal doppelganger.

Rooster
06-24-2012, 02:17 AM
So far for me:

1. The Offspring - Days Go By
2. Anti-Flag - The General Strike
3. Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral

This also is the only NEW music I bought so far this year (I also bought a couple of oldies, Bad Religion's Suffer and Soundgarden's Classic Albums Selection box set, but these don't count)

But there's still a lot to look forward to - new Soundgarden album coming out in the fall, POSSIBLY a new Alice in Chains album, but I'm not sure about that one, could come out next year...

Defender
06-24-2012, 09:17 AM
I listened to the new Linkin Park's album "Living Things" and is very good. Their best album since "Meteora". I like very much the tracks "Burn It down" & "Lost In The Echo". I also accidentally listened to Cranberries' "Roses" but I disappointed. It's full of slow tracks. I never liked the Cranberries much but there always were some tracks I liked. I am waiting for the new ones by Aerosmith, Muse and Killers. I am especially curious about Aerosmith's because they have not released an album since 2004

jacknife737
07-02-2012, 11:39 AM
http://www.the1stfive.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/makedo.jpg

Most likely going to be in my top 10 of the year.

The production is very "big", particularly when it comes to the drums when compared to their debut. But i think the change was for the better; very Hot Water Music-like.

TheJakes84
07-02-2012, 09:26 PM
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/RocKnocks/2012%20Pictures/daysgoby.jpg

Outerspaceman21
07-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Just downloaded the new Smashing Pumpkins, Silversun Pickups and Cancer Bats. Going to post later what I think of them after I'm done listening to them.

Outerspaceman21
07-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Done listening to them, and the verdict is: they are alright. Nothing spectacular. I gave each one a couple good listen through's and, while I liked some songs, nothing seemed to really grasp me. They are worthy of a listen if you are curious.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Days Go By gets my vote

Retard
07-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Zoo by Ceremony is definitely on there.
Comet by the Bouncing Souls
On Mars by Mean Jeans(Sucha fucking fun album.)
Along with the other stuff I've talked about so far. I honestly don't remember what else has come out.

Tiny Vessels
07-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Days Go By best album of 2012 easily.

Jakebert
07-23-2012, 01:53 PM
How? Did you only listen to three albums this year?

jacknife737
07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Be nice Jakebert.

http://fakewalls.com/storage/Gaslight-Anthem-The-Handwritten.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1342506 536042

Lyrically, its incredibly romantic/sentimental, but that's forgivable: its the type of stuff that makes you fall in love with rock'n'roll again. I've liked everything they've done so far, but this record sounds like it really should have been the follow up to the 59' Sound: since its a perfect blend of that album and their debut (Sink or Swim). The first two tracks still send shivers down my spine after repeated listens. This may be the closest thing an album comes to challenging the Menzinger's On the Impossible past for my album of the year.

The title track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-rEslupnY

Jakebert
07-24-2012, 04:05 PM
I try but sometimes I just gotta let go and do what feels right.

RageAndLov
07-24-2012, 04:25 PM
How? Did you only listen to three albums this year?

He might have just listened to three albums released in 2012, but might have listened to a bunch of older albums. I do the same thing, because I feel that there are a lot of albums I need to catch up with, although I think this year will be a record for listening to new albums, because there are a lot of them released this year which I look forward to.

Llamas
07-24-2012, 04:53 PM
All the new albums I've listened to for 2012 so far, in order from favorite to least favorite.

1. Regina Spektor - What We Saw from the Cheap Seats
2. Serj Tankian - Harakiri
3. Santigold - Master of my Make Believe
4. Offspring - Days Go By
5. Garbage - Not Your Kind of People

Okay albums that I've enjoyed but don't love:
Fun. - Some Nights
Tennis - Young and Old
The Used - Vulnerable
Kimbra - Vows

Ones that I just can't get into/don't like:
Linkin Park - Living Things
Eve 6 - Speak in Code

Have yet to listen to:
The Walkmen - Heaven

RageAndLov
07-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Summary so far this year:

1st place Classics of Love - S/T
2nd place Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory
3rd place Offspring - Days Go By. It was fine.

Other albums I've listened to:
Pennywise - All or Nothing. Didn't care for it
Linkin Park -Living Things. Nope, didn't care for it either.
Prawn - Ships EP. Yuck...
Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten. Boring, but okay I guess.
Cancer Bats - Dead Set on Living. Ugh no thank you.
Binary Heart - At Your Lowest. Uninspiring and too poppy.

dorkrockcorkrod
07-26-2012, 09:30 PM
So far...

Classics of Love - S/T
House Boat - 21st Century Breakroom
Ceremony - Zoo
Mixtapes - Somewhere in Trinsic EP (I'm sure their full-length will be here too!)
The Hextalls - Rock You To Sleep
Fear of Lipstick - Seasons
Lemuria - Varoom Allure 7"
The Fake Boys - Pig Factory
No Trigger - Tycoon
The Thing That Ate Larry Livermore compilation

And The Offspring's Days Go By seems to be pretty good too. ;)
I am going to add the following to my listie-thingie:

The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
Mixtapes - Even on the Worst Nights
Teenage Bottlerocket - Freak Out!
Hold Tight! - Blizzard of '96

cool 2 hate 681
07-26-2012, 10:20 PM

i tried to listen to that but could not get passed the first song

Outerspaceman21
08-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Just downloaded Misadventures by Such Gold. Good solid punk if anyone is interested. I really like it. I also downloaded the new album by the Melvins which I haven't gotten to yet.

Making a list on this post to keep track because I'm losing track

What I've Listened To:
The Offspring - Days Go By
Such Gold - Misadventures
No Trigger - Tycoon
The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania
Cancer Bats - Dead Set on Living
Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods

Albums I would like check up when they come out/haven't gotten to yet:
Melvins - Freak Puke
A Wilhelm Scream - TBA
Toys that Kill - Fambly 42

cool 2 hate 681
08-15-2012, 12:29 PM
2012 hasn't really been a good year in music for me i haven't heard any album's that i will still be listening to in 5 years or even in 1 year other then offspring

jacknife737
08-16-2012, 08:40 PM
2012 has been a pretty good year for me: that Menzinger's album alone has become one of my favorite releases of the past few years.

A couple albums I picked up recently that i've really liked:

http://www.idioteq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Masked-Intruder.jpg

This album is rediculous amounts of fun. Four dudes singing about holding people at knife point and breaking into girl's houses to serrenade them; what's not to love? I think we all just need to Give a lonely masked man a chance! is my favorite line from any song this year.

http://www.altpress.com/images/uploads/news/The-Holy-Mess-Cande-Ru-240.jpg

Solid album, though probably won't be in my top 10. The band embracing mid-tempo stuff is absolutely the right direction that they needed to be heading in.

Outerspaceman21
09-08-2012, 08:15 PM
So, I just got the new Propagandhi album today, Failed States. I really liked Supporting Caste, so I had a lot of hope for this album. First listen though, I really enjoyed it.

oh, and I also downloaded the new album by Metric. Need to give that a listen, which I might do right now. I also downloaded a bunch of Hot Water Music, including their new album Exister. Gonna listen to that soon too. I'm also anxiously looking forward to the new Muse album. Really liked Madness and Survival.

cool 2 hate 681
09-09-2012, 09:54 PM
new bob mould album is pretty good thanks to noodles and jose freese for posting about it on facebook and twitter

going to listen to new billy talent now

Outerspaceman21
09-12-2012, 01:11 AM
So after seeing that Dead Sara was touring with the Offspring, I decided to check them out. Downloaded their debut album (came out this year) and damn, it is awesome.

cool 2 hate 681
09-12-2012, 01:47 PM
also new nofx album is pretty good for a nofx album

julabard
09-23-2012, 03:09 AM
New NOFX album is great, but it ranks 3rd to me so far this year behind the new albums from Morning Glory and Dan Vapid and the Cheats

cool 2 hate 681
09-23-2012, 12:24 PM
it's Pretty Fly (For a NOFX album)

Selena74
09-23-2012, 08:13 PM
I've been listening to the new Pennywise album & new Anti-Flag. Both are good albums. My favorite would have to be Days Go By. I haven't checked out Linkin Park yet. I have a hard time listening to their stuff, always sounds the same to me.

Selena

Dulce
09-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Days Go By. The Offspring men have been making great albums and playing for the awesome fans. :cool: ;) :D :p

charlesblg
09-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Best: Local H. Say what you will - theyre a damn good band. As Good As Dead, Here Comes the Zoo, What Ever Happened to PJ Soles....all great albums IMO.

Worst: Creed. I recently listened to their "Human Clay" album - because I realized hating something without fully giving it a chance is stupid. Now, I can say with certainty that I fucking HATE Creed.

cool 2 hate 681
09-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Worst: Creed. I recently listened to their "Human Clay" album - because I realized hating something without fully giving it a chance is stupid. Now, I can say with certainty that I fucking HATE Creed.

Human Clay came out in 1999

Best: Local H. Say what you will - theyre a damn good band. As Good As Dead, Here Comes the Zoo, What Ever Happened to PJ Soles....all great albums IMO.

i really like the song bound for the floor im glad anytime it comes on kroq

Llamas
10-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Update:

My top five favorites so far:

1. Regina Spektor - What We Saw from the Cheap Seats
2. Serj Tankian - Harakiri
3. Santigold - Master of my Make Believe
4. Toussaint Morrison - Is Not My Boyfriend
5. Pink - The Truth About Love

Runners up:
Offspring - Days Go By
Fun. - Some Nights
Green Day - Uno
No Doubt - Push and Shove
Tennis - Young and Old
The Used - Vulnerable
Kimbra - Vows
Alanis Morissette - Havoc and Bright Lights

Eve 6 - Speak in Code

I also like the Barenaked Ladies b-sides album, Stop Us If You've Heard This One Before!

It's been a pretty damn good year in music, and with Tegan and Sara slated to release their new album soon, there's still more goodness to come!

coke_a_holic
10-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Just this past week has been awesome for music:

Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-vZRGK4FbI)
Chaos embodied.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEsdiiYkhT8)
Go gorgeous.

Titus Andronicus - Local Business (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KgDBCvAPE)
A ton of fun! This one leaked, but I couldn't find the full album, so here's a song.

Death Grips - NO LOVE DEEP WEB (http://soundcloud.com/deathgrips/sets/no-love-deep-web)
Not as good as The Money Store or Ex-Military, but still fucking crazy experimental hip-hop.

Balmorhea - Stranger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzyf1tmFt5Q)
So fucking pretty.

And here's some punk bands that had new albums come out earlier that I think you guys would be really into. Check them out, they're pretty much all up-and-comers:

Glocca Morra - Just Married (http://gloccamorradied.bandcamp.com/album/just-married-2)
Real noodly stuff, recorded by the guy who recorded my band's album (out later this year/early next year!!!)

Joyce Manor - Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired (http://bsmrocks.bandcamp.com/album/of-all-things-i-will-soon-grow-tired)
The future of punk music as we know it? A lot of people seem to think so!

Joie De Vivre - We're All Better Than This (http://joiedevivreband.bandcamp.com/album/were-all-better-than-this)
Not really punk, but I think people here would really dig this.

John K. Samson - Provincial (http://soundcloud.com/exclaim/sets/john-k-samson-provincial/s-yPBmv)
Canadian and heartfelt and excellent.

Alison
10-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Wow, this thread has made me realise that I haven't even listened to any new albums in way too long.

I've only even listened to 2 songs off the new Offspring album :o:(

Gotta get back into music listening!!

XYlophonetreeZ
10-18-2012, 01:50 PM
http://www.rock104.com/rockblog/files/2012/06/MakeDoAndMend-EverythingYouEverLoved-300x300.jpg

I still have a lot of albums that I need to listen to this year, but this might be my favorite so far.

Tiny Vessels
10-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Other than Days Go By I found myself really enjoying

Billy Talent-Dead Silence

The Lumineers (self titled)

P!nk- The Truth About Love ( Don't judge)

Lana Del Rey- Born To Die

I'm gonna probably check out Edward Shape And The Magnetic Zeros cd called Here

I can't wait to listen to Taylor Swift's new ablum when it comes on next week (once again don't judge me)

Outerspaceman21
10-19-2012, 02:59 AM
List so far

Favorites:
No Trigger - Tycoon
Propagandhi - Failed States
Metric - Synthetica
Dead Sara - Dead Sara
Bob Mould - Silver Age

What I listened to and didn't like/thought was okay/nothing special
Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
The Mars Volta - Nocturniquet

Melvins - Freak Puke
Muse - The 2nd Law
Matt Skiba and the Sekrets - Babylon
Soundgarden - King Animal
Bad Brains - Into the Future

Defender
10-21-2012, 11:59 PM
I listened to the new Killers' album "Battle born". It is not so ...rock as their previous ones but I like the melodies. There are 4 songs(out of 12) that I liked upon first listen. In general I am disappointed a little bit.

RageAndLov
10-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Matt & Kim - Lightning
The duo is back! This is one of my favourite bands and they have made yet a great album. It sounds like classic Matt and Kim, but the music is still fresh and new. One of their songs, Now, sounds like they tried to make a dubstep song without the wub wub. The music is lighthearted and it puts me in a great mood.

holland25
10-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Half of the people in here will hate me for some albums on the list, but I don't give a shit.

Bridgit Mendler - Hello My Name Is...
Enslaved - RIITTIIR
Enter Shikari - A Flash Flood of Colour
Melanie C - Stages
Liv Kristine - Libertine
Billy Talent - Dead Silence
Korpiklaani - Manala
D.O.A. - We Come in Peace
Fear Factory - The Industrialist
Cannibal Corpse - Torture
Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
Azaghal - Nemesis
Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
Biohazard - Reborn in Defiance
Taylor Swift - Red
Stone Sour - House of Gold and Bones Part 1
Papa Roach - The Connection
Therion - Les Fleurs du Mal
The Casualties - Resistance
P!nk - The Truth About Love
NOFX - Self Entitled
Oi Polloi - Duisg
Serj Tankian - Harakiri
Nile - At the Gates of Sethu
Turbonegro - Sexual Harassment
The Bouncing Souls - Comet
Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix
Pennywise - All Or Nothing
Soulfly - Enslaved
Terrorizer - Hordes of Zombies
Napalm Death - Utilitarian
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Out of Frequency

samseby
10-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Woah, that's quite a list ;)
I'm still blown away by 'All or Nothing' :) but to be honest I haven't listened to quite as many albums as you obviously have so ... 'The General Strike' is a solid album too as are some albums by German bands/singers.

Outerspaceman21
10-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Listening to Muse's "The 2nd Law". Verdict: It has it's ups and downs. I like it a lot more than I liked their last album. Some of the songs are pretty awesome, like Supremacy and Liquid State (which is sung by Chris rather than Matt, and it's awesome). Panic Station has an 80's pop rock feel to it in a good way. I like Madness, Animals and Survival, but I'm not blown away by them. The album really only has two Electronica tracks on it and I don't really care for either of them. To sum it up, there are some things to like on this album, but nothing will top Black Holes & Revelations.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Songs of the Year thus far (in no order and incomplete):

Make Do and Mend - Disassemble
Yeasayer - Fingers Never Bleed
Sleigh Bells - Crush
Super Happy Fun Club - Way Back (The Conflict)
The Menzingers - Burn After Writing
Grizzly Bear - gun-shy
Minus the Bear - Lonely Gun

Also, Fiona Apple's new album is amazing. Not too many albums are good enough to make me totally engaged with a genre that I'm not generally too into.

jacknife737
11-05-2012, 07:35 PM
My top 10 songs of the year (as of this moment) are in no particular order:

Teenage Bottlerocket - Maverick
Skinny Lister - If the Gaff Don't Let Us Down
Masked Intruder - Will You Be Mine
The Menzingers - Casey
Gaslight Anthem - 45
John K Sampson - When I Write My Master's Thesis
Japandroids - The House That Heaven Built
The Offspring - Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb Straight to Hell
Nofx - I've Got One Jealous Again
The Sidekicks - DMT

Dulce
11-05-2012, 08:03 PM
The Offspring and Young The Giant.

cool 2 hate 681
11-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Gaslight Anthem - 45

that's a pretty good song im glad it's getting a lot of radio play

jacknife737
11-05-2012, 09:55 PM
that's a pretty good song im glad it's getting a lot of radio play

My day gets better everytime i hear it!

RageAndLov
11-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Death Grips - No Love Deep Web. It is brilliant if you like someone screaming into your ears constantly for 45 mins over a heavy techno beat, all accompanied with a picture of an erected penis.
http://cdn.pitchfork.com/albums/18397/homepage_large.6698e088.jpg

personal_loans_1
11-09-2012, 11:30 AM
So, did you like it RageAndLov? I've only heard World of Dogs by accident. Catchy and disturbing, so alright all in all.

Songs that I like, come to my mind now, and I'm sure were released in 2012:

Regina Spektor - Oh Marcello!
-----//----- - Small Town Moon
Bob Dylan - Scarlet Town
Atoms For Peace - Default
Goran Bregovic - Be That Man
Electric Guest - American Daydream

Music video for the last one is cool.

coke_a_holic
11-09-2012, 01:15 PM
The best song on the new Death Grips is NO LOVE. Rageandlov, you listen to their earlier stuff at all? The Money Store and Ex-Military are boss.

RageAndLov
11-10-2012, 06:54 AM
So, did you like it RageAndLov? I've only heard World of Dogs by accident. Catchy and disturbing, so alright all in all.

Yeah, it is awesome. I love the song Deep Web. I am amazed by how productive the group is, but how they still manage to keep the quality at a very high level. Not many artists or bands manage to make three great albums in 2 years.

The best song on the new Death Grips is NO LOVE. Rageandlov, you listen to their earlier stuff at all? The Money Store and Ex-Military are boss.

Of course I do. I cranked up Exmilitary on my sound system yesterday to the point of neighbours complaining. I love how they sampled Black Flag's Rise Above on Klink.

Rooster
11-10-2012, 09:05 AM
My list is still rather short:

1. Soundgarden - King Animal. Album of the year for me. It's not just a great comeback album, it's a genuinely great record. It probably won't appeal to those who wanted Badmotorfinger II, but if you liked the more experimental side of the band you might like this too.

2. The Offspring - Days Go By

Then the rest of the albums follow in no particular order: Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral, Anti-Flag: The General Strike. And I think I can count NOFX: Self-Entitled too, but I only listened to it a few times. It's a good NOFX album for sure.

Defender
11-16-2012, 12:25 AM
I finally listened to the new Muse album "The 2nd Law". The same old good Muse..! Nothing new or different in their sound.

7,5/10

dorkrockcorkrod
11-17-2012, 08:31 AM
More stuff to add to my list:

Title Fight - Floral Green
Masked Intruder - Masked Intruder
NOFX - Self-Entitled
The Mixtapes/Broadway Calls split
Saves the Day - Daybreak
Dan Vapid and the Cheats - Dan Vapid and the Cheats
Trash Talk - 119
Shook Ones - MerriWeatherPostPavillion single

jacknife737
11-22-2012, 03:42 PM
^ I'm a big fan of Self-Entitled: still haven't heard that Title Fight record yet, nor the Shook Ones EP: should get on that this week.

Outerspaceman21
11-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Got the new Bad Brains. It's pretty good, though not quite on par with Build A Nation. It's got some good ones on it though and I enjoy it.

dorkrockcorkrod
11-30-2012, 01:28 PM
^ I'm a big fan of Self-Entitled: still haven't heard that Title Fight record yet, nor the Shook Ones EP: should get on that this week.

Self Entitled is indeed awesome!
And the new TF and Shook Ones releases are great too - listen to 'em as soon as you can. :D

Also...more to add!
MXPX - Plans Within Plans
Basement - Colourmeinkindness

Outerspaceman21
12-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Here is my final list of the year. Not much else for me to look forward too right now, but if something comes up I'll add it.

What I really liked/loved/can't stop listening to:
No Trigger - Tycoon
Metric - Synthetica
Dead Sara - Dead Sara
Bob Mould - Silver Age
Soundgarden - King Animal
Bad Brains - Into The Future

What I thought was okay/wasn't that great:
Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
The Mars Volta - Nocturniquet
Muse - The 2nd Law

Melvins - Freak Puke

I wanted to get these last three out of the way, but I just got a job and I've been working like crazy.

cool 2 hate 681
12-02-2012, 11:09 AM
New Less Than Jake album is good but they should have waited to release those songs instead of putting them on 2 EP's last year

I thought that album had some good songs on it I like the music video where they are tortured by muppets haha

RageAndLov
12-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Heard NOFX - Self Entitled. While listening I thought "Huh, this was a decent song, when will the shitty ones come?". But there weren't any shitty ones. I was very surprised. Not all the songs were great, but they were all at least okay. This was better than Coaster, which had three great songs and a lot of shit. Self Entitled is more darker than most NOFX albums, and I like them that way. That's why Wolves in Wolves' Clothing was one of the better NOFX albums.

Self Entitled is a bit short in regards of NOFX standard, which usually is about 45 mins. If Fat Mike didn't think he had good enough material to have a 45 min long album, I am glad he cut it down to 30. All in all, this will probably be one of the better albums I've heard this year, if only because of the fact that NOFX didn't produce any shit like they usually do.

SapoCocas
12-11-2012, 03:27 PM
I can't even make a top 5 of albums I listened this year, but here's my top 4 plus Pennywise's new album:

1-The Offspring - Days Go By (Very solid album made with completely different types of songs. 6-7 awsome songs, three of them that reminded me of the of Ignition/Smash times, which is great, and two of the new era punk rock/alternative type with big intensity and meaning.

2-Serj Tankian - Harakiri (After the snooze of Imperfect harmonies, this album is a complete wake up call. Good melodys, 4 or 5 great songs and the others were also good. On the other hand, Serj experiments too much, and sometimes it goes well, sometimes it doesn't. Meaningfull lyrics, as always.)

3-NOFX - Self Entitled (Prefer the 00's NOFX to the 90's NOFX. Solid album with 2-3 very good songs. Still, lyrics are just completely loonatic and weird sometimes.)

4-Green Day - Uno (Surprised me. Wasn't expecting much from it but they decided to do some things they haven't done in a long time. It's not great, though.)

9464135212564961351- Pennywise - All or Nothing (I chose nothing. Boring as always, every song sounds the same. It's like listening to AC/DC, but in this case, every song is bad.)

jacknife737
12-11-2012, 09:41 PM
My final lists, in no particular order. Was a great year for folkish stuff.

Top 10 Albums

The Menzingers – On the Impossible Past
Gaslight Anthem – Handwritten
The Offspring – Days Go By
Masked Intruder – S/T
The Sidekicks – Awkward Breeds
Teenage Bottlerocket – Freak Out
NOFX – Self Entitled
The Holy Mess – Cande Ru Las Degas
Real Mckenzies – Westwinds
John K Samson – Provincial

Honorable Mentions
Skinny Lister – Forge and Flagon
The Dopamines – Vices
Forgetters – S/T
Make Do and Mend – Everything You’ve Ever Loved
Japandroids – Celebration Rock
Of Monsters and Men – My Head is an Animal

Favorite Eps
Elway – Hence my Optimism
Old Man Malarkey – Blood on my Hands
Shook Ones – MerriweatherPostPavilion
The Sidekicks - Grace

cool 2 hate 681
12-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Eve 6 - Speak in Code
Lit - The View from the Bottom
Bob Mould - Silver Age
No Trigger - Tycoon
Matt Skiba and the Sekrets - Babylon
Hotel Diablo - The Return To Psycho, California
Less Than Jake - Greetings and Salutations from Less Than Jake

Biggest disappointments

Reel Big Fish - Candy Coated Fury

favorite EP's
The Hell - Sauve Les Requins
Mercy Street EP

Albums where I could not get past the first song

Everclear - Invisible Stars

Favorite singles from albums I didn't hear

Gaslight Anthem - 45
Soundgarden - Been Away Too Long

Honorable Mentions

Teenage Bottlerocket - Freak Out!
The Bouncing Souls - Comet
NOFX - Self Entitled
Propagandhi - Failed States (only liked 2 or 3 songs)

Vera
12-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Lupe Fiasco's latest.

jacknife737
12-14-2012, 01:26 PM
I'd also like to give an "honorable mention" to Cheap Girls - Giant Orange.

Fantastic record.

holland25
12-14-2012, 11:50 PM
I would like to add these albums into my list:

Destruction - Spiritual Genocide
Bad Brains - Into the Future
All That Remains - A War You Cannot Win
Cradle of Filth - Manticore and Other Horrors
Rihanna - Unapologetic
Nightwish - Imaginareum: The Score
Pain - We Come in Peace
Scooter - Music for the Big Night Out

XYlophonetreeZ
12-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Bill Fay- Life is People
http://cdn3.pitchfork.com/albums/18186/homepage_large.fbb63cd8.jpg

Just heard, and it definitely makes my top 5. This guy is 69 years old and hasn't released and album since 1971. It's singer-songwriter type music, but extremely well-produced and he's obviously well versed on today's studio conventions. None of it sounds dated whatsoever. Reminds me of Jeff Buckley at times. Great record.

Jaded skies
12-27-2012, 06:55 PM
I didn't see anything about Koi No Yokan. No love for the new Deftones CD? I thought it was fantastic!

MAXTER
12-28-2012, 04:18 AM
My Top 15 Album 0f 2012:

01- The Offspring - Days Go By
02- Blink 182 - Dogs Eating Dogs (EP)
03- Die Toten Hosen - Ballast Der Republik
04- Shinedown - Amaryllis
05- The Rasmus - The Rasmus
06- Ania Wyszkoni - Zycie Jest W Porzadku
07- Pennywise - All Or Nothing
08- Blaqk Audio - Bright Black Haven
09- Wilki - Swiatlo i Mrok
10- Green Day - Uno!
11- The Killers - Battle Born
12- Dead Sara - Dead Sara
13- Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
14- Green Day - Tre!
15- NOFX - Self Titled

RageAndLov
12-31-2012, 04:31 PM
So the year came and went. Some great things this year, but a lot of disappointments.

Albums I liked:
Classics of Love - S/T
Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory
Matt and Kim - Lightning
Death Grips - The Money Store
Death Grips - No Love Deep Web
Mischief Brew - Rhapsody For Knives EP
NOFX - Self Entitled

Honourable mentions:
Kishi Bashi - 151a
The Offspring - Days Go By.
Green Day - Uno
Green Day - Dos
Green Day - Tre

Other albums I've listened to and I didn't care for:
The Adicts - All the Young Droogs
Pennywise - All or Nothing.
Linkin Park -Living Things.
Prawn - Ships EP.
Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten.
Cancer Bats - Dead Set on Living.
Binary Heart - At Your Lowest.
John Cale - Shifty Adventures in Nookie Wood
The Killers - Battle Born
forgetters – S/T

StayInTheHouseCarl
01-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Some of my favorites from this year: Tenacious D, Muse, Teenage Bottlerocket, Neon Trees, Jack White, Garbage

jacknife737
01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
I should check out that new Cancer Bats record.

I've never really given those dudes as hot yet.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
01-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Days Go By is still my favorite, but the new NOFX album is pretty rad too.

huckit
01-23-2013, 11:02 PM
North by MATCHBOX 20 has got a couple of half decent songs
NO DOUBT has one or one and a half good songs in there.
SOUNDGARDEN is solid kickass rock
DAYS GO BY is solid and I'm not being biased. BUt I can listen to the whole thing from start to end
LINKIN PARK has a couple of good songs too

Sell out artists who I will not ever buy any of their shit ever again, is Maroon 5 and probably TRAIN too. (Matchbox 20 getting real close to that section too)

coke_a_holic
01-23-2013, 11:23 PM
In alphabetical because I can't make decisions:

Arms Of Ra - Unnamed (sick french post-hardcore/black metal)
Caspian - Waking Season (instrumental, great stuff)
Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind (heavy as fuck punk)
DEATH GRIPS - The Money Store (punk as fuck rap music, holy shit this album)
Dodecahedron - Dodecahedron (pure evil)
Glocca Morra - Just Married (tons of fun! this is a great record)
Hop Along - Get Disowned (this is probably the sleeper hit you guys need to hear this record)
John K Samson - Provincial (obviously, a wonderful songwriter)
Vijay Ayer Trio - Ascension (great jazz record, tons of replay value, great trio)

So many albums I wanted to listen to but didn't get a chance to. Oh well. Music is awesome this year.

Retard
01-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Yea I can't decide the certain numbers this time either.
Other than number 1 being "Interstellar" by Frankie Rose

the rest in no particular order:
good kid, m.A.A.d. city by Kendrick Lamar
Comet by The Bouncing Souls
119 by Trash Talk
Zoo by Ceremony
Stoned Immaculate by Curren$y
Rebirth by Jimmy Cliff
Self-Entitled by NOFX
Failed States by Propagandhi
Forgetters LP by Forgetters
Masked Intruder by Masked Intruder
Freak Out! by Teenage Bottlerocket

Dulce
02-02-2013, 05:04 PM
the offspring
days go by
rise fall rage grace
ignition
smash
americana
splinter
ixnay
co1

XYlophonetreeZ
02-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Caspian - Waking Season (instrumental, great stuff)

I enjoyed this quite a bit too. Shit, almost everything that Matt Bayles touches is gold. Best producer around today, IMO.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-03-2013, 05:13 PM
My Top 5 (in no particular order):
NOFX - Self/Entitled
Pennywise - All Or Nothing
Anit-Flag - The General Strike

MaF
02-14-2013, 06:37 PM
In my opinion 2012 was a very good year for music that i like.

Pennywise surprised me with a new album, it was a fresh thing, i've been craving to hear from a group, that became kinda staled.

NOFX as usual produced high quality and fun album.

Antiflag – super

Rise Against – super

The Offspring – B+

Overall, it was a splendid harvest. I'm listening to these albums from 2012 constantly.

cool 2 hate 681
02-14-2013, 07:05 PM
In my opinion 2012 was a very good year for music that i like.

Pennywise surprised me with a new album, it was a fresh thing, i've been craving to hear from a group, that became kinda staled.

Antiflag – super

Rise Against – super

The Offspring – B+

Overall, it was a splendid harvest. I'm listening to these albums from 2012 constantly.

rise against was 2011

RageAndLov
02-16-2013, 12:06 PM

lol .

Retard
02-16-2013, 05:30 PM
lol .

Coaster is a great album. Wolves could have fared better with a little trimming only for length purposes, still a solid album.

I just got "sees the light" by La sera in the mail the other day. Great garage rock sung by a beautiful red head. Shouldve bought it a lot sooner, probably would have been in my top ten.

RageAndLov
02-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Coaster is a great album. Wolves could have fared better with a little trimming only for length purposes, still a solid album.

Coaster has three great songs, and the rest is shit. Wolves is probably one of the best NOFX albums and has some of the better NOFX songs, but there are a lot of shit on that record as well.
I think Self-Entitled is the first NOFX record that breaks the rule of 30% gold and 70% shit. The worst songs are okay, but not terrible.

Retard
02-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Which 3 songs would you say are great?

RageAndLov
02-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Which 3 songs would you say are great?

We Called it America, The Quitter and Blasphemy.

Retard
02-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Wow so you didn't even like "my orphan year"? That song is brutal. "I am an Alcoholic" is probably one of my favorite NOFX songs in their catalog. But whatever, I won't be able to convince you.

jacknife737
02-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Wolves is a decent record, but its probably the worst one they've released since 2000. I think Coaster is actually one of the bands stronger efforts, My Orphan Year is quite easily one of the best songs Fat Mike has ever written.

RageAndLov
02-17-2013, 03:02 PM
My Orphan Year is not bad lyrically. It shows a side to Fat Mike that we seldom see (or shall I say hear?), but it is mediocre musically I think.

Retard
02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I just re-listened to all of Coaster. Yea definitely one of the better NOFX albums probably top 5 in my opinion. Self-Entitled is pretty up there too.