PDA

View Full Version : The band is trying to kill negative things that happen to them....

Degstur Lolland
05-31-2012, 08:27 AM
...and I think that we should support them.

It's like 3 things "recently":
- tight bbs rules (if you post something that shitty newspapers could make news of, then it's not desired)
- chrisdude or alex101 stuff (I guess it was alex who did news out of anything here, related to number 1)
- and now photographers. (they couldn't take "undesired" photos of them)

http://www.metal-hammer.de/magazin/meinung/article298301/the-offspring-knebelvertraege-fuer-konzert-fotografen.html (google translate)
"This is really embarrassing. Man .. The Offspring! When Madonna and Co. - clearly undesirable wrinkles or double chins. But a vain, "punk" band, the freedom of the press has trampled on? Uncool. "

They can get easily attacked with freedom arguments, and the first impression is like that, but you shouldn't believe it so easily. Now it's like they will take an undesirable pic of you or write a shitty article about you, so the other side is not really nice.

However, now I kinda question if they should bother with it because they get negative reactions anyway.

I guess photographers have done some photos of Dexter's beer belly recently. I didn't think he looked fat if that helps. ;)

So, your homework is to defend them! Go to the German site and tell them that they should have taken only nice pics of them.

Dragnet
05-31-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm sure some fanboys will support you here. But it's pretty pathetic. Journalists on a live concert aren't there to promote the band afterwards but to report it to others. If the management wants to select which photos are okay and which are not then it's simply censorship.

HOWEVER, since it's the Offspring's concert, they can tell what they want or not. That's why most journalists chose not to take photos. Result: No one wins, no media coverage.

Why you're trying to defend them on this is really beyond me, though.

Dexter_italy
05-31-2012, 09:43 AM
it was already pointed out in the thread this journalists thing :)

Degstur Lolland
05-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Journalists on a live concert aren't there to promote the band afterwards but to report it to others.

Why you're trying to defend them on this is really beyond me, though.
What does it mean that they are not there to promote them? Whatever, but, ok, let's take the word report. So, they are going to report shitty and inappropriate pics. They could do coverage, but with serious pics. I guess you don't support professional photographers, only some crazy paparazzi...

Because they are a great band and they stand for good things.

Dragnet
05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
I mean that journalists don't work for the band and it's not their duty to make anyone look good but write objectively about the show. Same goes for the pictures they may take.

Jesus
05-31-2012, 10:50 AM
This is pretty standard policy, just as only allowing photographers in front of the stage during the first 3 songs. During the last tour there was also a magazine complaining about it. I think it was also a German one back then.

samseby
05-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Still it would have been nice & more positive to have had some pics with the reports ;)

P.S. Wasn't there some discussion prior to RaR 2008 too as to wether broadcasting should be allowed or not and if to what extent? Not about to start a thing here but I'm pretty sure I read something somewhere regarding this ... (I could be wrong though :confused:).

Jesus
05-31-2012, 10:54 AM
I mean that journalists don't work for the band and it's not their duty to make anyone look good but write objectively about the show. Same goes for the pictures they may take.
They can take as many pictures as they want, aslong as they stand in the crowd...

Dragnet
05-31-2012, 11:02 AM
:rolleyes:

Defender
05-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Journalists are like spambots... Everybody ignores them. So there is no problem;)

Degstur Lolland
05-31-2012, 11:12 AM
So that's what you call objective. I call it very low to photo naked belly. Did they write objectively that he had a naked belly for a moment?

Those photographers are Germans like you I guess, so you are kinda biased. I'm biased too, I'm a fan of The Offspring. :d

Journalists are like spambots... Everybody ignores them. So there is no problem;)
False. The Offspring are trying to own them, so they don't ignore them. ;)

Little_Miss_1565
05-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Point of order: I've had several conversations with management and the band about this, and they are not trying to kill negative comments. What they are trying to do is keep this forum as non-hostile as possible. Journalists can write whatever they want about the band; that's their remit as journalists. However, here, in their house and on their servers, they deserve some respect.

TheNooseIsFalling
05-31-2012, 11:22 AM
I call it very low to photo naked belly.

I doubt Dexter gives a fuck that somebody took a picture of his belly, especially since he's not even chubby. He probably had his shirt like that on purpose (if you mean one of the RiR photos). The journalists are probably bitching about something that's absolutely not unheard of at shows like that and it's not really a big deal, so why even bother discussing it?

However, here, in their house and on their servers, they deserve some respect.
Fuck. Yeah.

Degstur Lolland
05-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Point of order: I've had several conversations with management and the band about this, and they are not trying to kill negative comments. What they are trying to do is keep this forum as non-hostile as possible. Journalists can write whatever they want about the band; that's their remit as journalists. However, here, in their house and on their servers, they deserve some respect.
I support. I guess journalists talked with or quoted photographers. Not sure, google translate is not perfect. So, how do you explain The Offspring's move to restrict photographers, they must have done something bad to them, right?

I doubt Dexter gives a fuck that somebody took a picture of his belly, especially since he's not even chubby. He probably had his shirt like that on purpose (if you mean one of the RiR photos). The journalists are probably bitching about something that's absolutely not unheard of at shows like that and it's not really a big deal, so why even bother discussing it?
I discuss it because I don't really understand it.

The thing is:
1. We have a negative article here.
2. We have a fan who supports negative article.

I don't know, I don't get it.

Dexter_italy
05-31-2012, 11:41 AM
I can understand the journalists point of view, but at the same time I understand the band's... If there's something of me, of the stage, of the fuck I want that I don't want to appear I deny taking pics of it. And it has got to be forbidden, because you know, you can't ask a journalist "hey please, do me a favour, don't take a picture of this and that" so they have to be the "bad guys". this is one of those "gossipy" things I don't really give importance.

samseby
05-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Not sure how this usually works ... seriously. Maybe it's standard procedure that pics have to be shown to someone prior to getting published and maybe there are some other regulations regarding the way pictures have to be taken as well and maybe no one just talks about it?

Thing is there is not a single pic :( and they're talking about "adhesion contracts" in the article (don't know how trustworthy Metal-Hammer as a source is though) but what they also say is that these kind of contracs also exist for acts like Rammstein and Iron Maiden so ...

TheNooseIsFalling
05-31-2012, 11:57 AM
If there's something of me, of the stage, of the fuck I want that I don't want to appear I deny taking pics of it.

I haven't been following on what's been going on in the Hamburg show's media thread so sorry if I'm missing something here but I don't think that's what this was about. Jesus' explanation, that this is something pretty standard, seems a lot more reasonable

Little_Miss_1565
05-31-2012, 12:23 PM
I support. I guess journalists talked with or quoted photographers. Not sure, google translate is not perfect. So, how do you explain The Offspring's move to restrict photographers, they must have done something bad to them, right?

It's 100% common to make photographers sign a release form before being allowed to take photos, and to only allow photography for the first three or so songs. Is that what you're referring to? I don't know the details of the Offspring's release form, though I had to sign one once (this was a few years ago, on the RAFRAG tour) to take photos for the website.

It's also 100% common to make photographers submit photos for approval by management before publication. You wouldn't believe the ridiculous shit that gets sent to me when people take photos of another band I work with. It's all I can do not to write them back to ask if they were dropped on their head as a child, or if they ate paint chips. Some bands like Coldplay actually require photographers to turn over the copyright to their images, which I personally think is ridiculous. Approvals is a dumb thing for them to whine about.

Dexter_italy
05-31-2012, 12:23 PM
I haven't been following on what's been going on in the Hamburg show's media thread so sorry if I'm missing something here but I don't think that's what this was about. Jesus' explanation, that this is something pretty standard, seems a lot more reasonable

the fact that is standard agrees with my theory... they wanna decide what's got to be in the pic and how it has to come out. nothing wrong with it. then we don't know the exact rules but we don't have to either... I'm a fan of their music not of their bellies, their pics or their rules...
I understand the interest an article like that can make but it's nothing that deserves a million pages thread :D

TheNooseIsFalling
05-31-2012, 12:39 PM
I understand the interest an article like that can make but it's nothing that deserves a million pages thread :D

Agreed!
That's all, folks?

killboybowerhead
05-31-2012, 12:39 PM
I didnt get past the first sentence.

Dragnet
05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Yup.

Thats its. Gotta find a better place for my 300th post.

Degstur Lolland
05-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Alright guys, Dragnet and TheNooseIsFalling, I see you are uncomfortable and you are running like a chicken, but let me tell you something:

Yeah, taking belly pics is objective.

I doubt Dexter gives a fuck that somebody took a picture of his belly.
So that's why his management wants to check out photographers' pics. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Run chicken run or dance chicken dance,
man you never had a chance,
that's it folks!

You can close it now, because it seems like fans in this community don't want to support the band. We don't need more than 3 pages, maybe give them a chance for a couple posts...let them have the last word...

GamerKT
05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Alright guys, Dragnet and TheNooseIsFalling, I see you are uncomfortable and you are running like a chicken, but let me tell you something:

So that's why his management wants to check out photographers' pics. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

that's it folks!

You can close it now, because it seems like fans in this community don't want to support the band. We don't need more than 3 pages, maybe give them a chance for a couple posts...let them have the last word...

Relax. You might get banned again.

Dragnet
05-31-2012, 01:21 PM
This Degstur-Dude is kinda obsessed with Dexters belly.

Now excuse me, I've gotta run like a chicken...

TheNooseIsFalling
05-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Um...What the fuck just happened?

Krojd
05-31-2012, 01:43 PM
I think you are arguing about nothing here.

Now excuse me, I've gotta run like a chicken...

And this made my day.

Dexter_italy
05-31-2012, 01:46 PM
I thought supporting the band meant buying their music, going to shows etc... I gotta write down "don't take a pic of dex's belly" as golden rule or I won't be a true fan! :D
btw.. yggfk video would have been more successful with chickens in it! :D:D

Little_Miss_1565
05-31-2012, 01:54 PM

that's it folks!

HAU, what are you even talking about?

Llamas
05-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Um...What the fuck just happened?

HAU, what are you even talking about?
I support these comments fully.

I thought supporting the band meant buying their musing, going to shows etc... I gotta write down "don't take a pic of dex's belly" as golden rule or I won't be a true fan! :D
btw.. yggfk video would have been more successful with chickens in it! :D:D

This was funny ;)

jacknife737
05-31-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm a bit perplexed why this would interest anyone other than the band/journalists.

TheOldMark
05-31-2012, 05:59 PM
and we're not allowed to discuss their personal lives. which i respect to an extent, nobody should be talking about yknow, someones kids or wives. but when major major things happen that would be worth discussing, especially when theyre reflected in song lyrics, and many of us relate to, then we ought to be allowed to say, "i heard this happened".

without being too specific.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Yeah. I feel bad when people only say negative things about them on their own website. I'm being a bit of a hypocrite because I am guilty of hating on Cruising California, but I support them in almost every other way :)

especially since he's not even chubby.

I disagree. He is rather chubby. That's fine though. We shouldn't let physical appearances be a factor in our enjoyment of their awesome music.

Jesus' explanation seems a lot more reasonable
Jesus always has the best explanations ;)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-31-2012, 06:49 PM
You can close it now, because it seems like fans in this community don't want to support the band.
I support the band. That doesn't mean I have to worship them.

TheJakes84
05-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Ah, the shady media and the lousy critics, write about gossip, lies, rumors of the rich and famous bands/artists. For profit or out of self jealousy? Banned 'em.

Little_Miss_1565
05-31-2012, 11:54 PM
and we're not allowed to discuss their personal lives. which i respect to an extent, nobody should be talking about yknow, someones kids or wives. but when major major things happen that would be worth discussing, especially when theyre reflected in song lyrics, and many of us relate to, then we ought to be allowed to say, "i heard this happened".

without being too specific.

You can't baselessly and wildly speculate about the band's personal lives, things that may or may not have gone into songs, etc., because that's frankly creepy. This isn't an issue of US Weekly or Star or some shit. If we allowed every "I heard this happened" you could say "I heard Dexter punched a baby koala bear in the face," "I heard Dexter has a secret baby with Eva Longoria," "Someone told me that Dexter loves hookers and drugs and parties with Mylie Cyrus," and it should be obvious why that's not allowed.

Besides, the rumor that we've spent years not allowing on this forum that you're using as an example of how we're crushing your freedom is about a band member's family, which you just said no one should be discussing. So I guess there's that.

GamerKT
06-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Guys, I heard that Dexter punched a baby koala in the face.

Dexter_italy
06-01-2012, 12:29 AM

Oh gosh! that's horrible! I'd never expected something like this from him. but did the koala start first? like he bite him or what? did the koala say that dex has a big belly and then he punched him? there must be a reason.. oh god please give us a reason

lol

TheNooseIsFalling
06-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Jesus always has the best explanations ;)

Hallelujah!

TheJakes84
06-01-2012, 05:47 AM

Hilarious.

Oh gosh! that's horrible! I'd never expected something like this from him. but did the koala start first? like he bite him or what? did the koala say that dex has a big belly and then he punched him? there must be a reason.. oh god please give us a reason

lol

Gosh, just imagine that's the worst case of scenario.

Hallelujah!

Amen.

samseby
06-01-2012, 06:40 AM
I support the band. That doesn't mean I have to worship them.

Exactly. ;)

ad8
06-01-2012, 07:22 AM
I'm sure some fanboys will support you here. But it's pretty pathetic. Journalists on a live concert aren't there to promote the band afterwards but to report it to others. If the management wants to select which photos are okay and which are not then it's simply censorship.

HOWEVER, since it's the Offspring's concert, they can tell what they want or not. That's why most journalists chose not to take photos. Result: No one wins, no media coverage.
I am still sort of confused why this happened, but I am pretty sure that one should not blame the band for this. They are playing so many concerts with photographers that take all sorts of pictures without restrictions, why should they personally care about this one? I guess that this was more about some decision of the management.

Dexter_italy
06-01-2012, 07:30 AM
I am still sort of confused why this happened, but I am pretty sure that one should not blame the band for this. They are playing so many concerts with photographers that take all sorts of pictures without restrictions, why should they personally care about this one? I guess that this was more about some decision of the management.

Management do what the band decides mostly, even not always maybe. It may be that those rules are imposed at all the shows but no one complained before.

Camilamazed
06-01-2012, 08:12 AM
All I have to say about the subject is that I kind of agree with the policy of not allowing many pictures or videos from the show because for a while now concerts are not a surprise anymore. We go to concerts knowing exactly how things are going to happen. If that's the purpose of the release form rules, I agree instead of calling it censorship.

Now, when it comes to talking about the band's work I think everything said here is valid be it good or bad. I thinks as fans we are entitled to criticism; the journalists taking information from here to use in articles is understandable because they know it's where everything about the band is. In addition, they find out how the band influences the fans and the other way around. Negative or positive insights it's us fans that are going to read and care about anyways. A lot of artists choose not to care about reviews. If the guys trust their work and read fans opinions I think that is what matters because they know a lot of people here have been supporting them heaven or hell for the most part of their lives.

Little_Miss_1565
06-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Management do what the band decides mostly, even not always maybe. It may be that those rules are imposed at all the shows but no one complained before.

You are correct. This is how it's been for every Offspring show for years upon years, and Metal Hammer is only complaining now to draw attention to themselves.

All I have to say about the subject is that I kind of agree with the policy of not allowing many pictures or videos from the show because for a while now concerts are not a surprise anymore. We go to concerts knowing exactly how things are going to happen. If that's the purpose of the release form rules, I agree instead of calling it censorship.

I think you're right on the money, except the policy isn't restricting the amount of photos and videos, it's approval of the photos that the professional photographers are allowed to take from the photo pit.

Now, when it comes to talking about the band's work I think everything said here is valid be it good or bad. I thinks as fans we are entitled to criticism; the journalists taking information from here to use in articles is understandable because they know it's where everything about the band is. In addition, they find out how the band influences the fans and the other way around. Negative or positive insights it's us fans that are going to read and care about anyways. A lot of artists choose not to care about reviews. If the guys trust their work and read fans opinions I think that is what matters because they know a lot of people here have been supporting them heaven or hell for the most part of their lives.

Of course. The key for the forums is being respectful with criticism, like "I don't like this song because (sane reason)," and not "OH FUX THE BAND'S CAREER IS OVER, I'LL NEVER POST HERE AGAIN BECAUSE THIS SONG IS TERRIBLE." The only time this is ever a problem is when it's the latter.