PDA

View Full Version : Days Go By expectations?

bigd994
06-01-2012, 09:59 PM
I just want to know what everyone's expectations are for the new album, now that we are less than a month away from the release.

I'm frankly hoping for the best, but I feel it's going to sound pretty similar to Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. Not that sounding similar is necessarily a bad thing, because RaFRaG had some good stuff, but I'd like a more old school, more punk sound (although considering what I've heard in Days Go By and Cruising California, that doesn't seem likely).

Other thoughts?

(Also, anyone going to see them at Riot Fest in Chicago? Going to be crazy)

TheJakes84
06-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Well, just hoping this new album will sound so diverse and complex with dynamics and originality.

GamerKT
06-01-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm impatient.

cool 2 hate 681
06-01-2012, 10:43 PM
very low maybe 4 or 5 good songs

i think it's best to aim low so i don't get disappointed

bouncingcoles
06-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Im not getting my hopes up too much. Days go by is good but cruising california is a little much for me. RAFRAG had a few really good songs on it but the rest were pretty mediocre. But im still excited!!

Degstur Lolland
06-02-2012, 01:09 AM
I expect something that could go platinum, but it would be great if they regained gold in the USA. Though, it's about singles these days, CC could conquer YGGFK.

So far, DGB, CC and TFIN, I could give them all 10/10 (we will see) because I see that a lot of work went into it and I really like them. TFIN is obviously great. DGB, you need to give it a chance, it's a good and nice song with some goodies. And CC has lots of different genres hidden in it.

I'm digging the artwork, one of the best.

It's going to be a diverse record and everyone will find something great there. It looks like it's going to beat RFRG and Splinter, possibly reaching CO1 or Ixnay level (I think Ignition is that level too but older, Ixnay seems to be the best of them). Smash or Americana explosion is not expected, but there is a small chance. Not sure how it would look like, maybe one or two of its singles selling around 5 000 000.

samseby
06-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Dunno torn actually! I like surprises - kind of that is - but with songs like CC well ... I wonder how it's all gonna work together with the rest of the album!

TheNooseIsFalling
06-02-2012, 02:10 AM
I don't have any expectations, I'm just getting more and more impatient with every new interview and video and stuff. I really, really hope that CC or some other song turns out to be a massive hit, that would be really cool

NoGuessing
06-02-2012, 02:51 AM
I'm pretty optimistic. My only concern is the songs that you could consider "riskier" for The Offspring dominate the back end of the album, judging by the snippets we've heard from the band on how they sound.

Cruising California - fun song
All I Have Left Is You - likely the ballad
OC Guns - ska/reggae/mariachi
Dirty Magic - safe staple you would think
I Wanna Family (With You) - fun song

I like most of their catalogue so I'll probably like those songs regardless, but hopefully if those songs aren't well received by a large number of fans then the back end of the record is "saved" for them by the final two tracks, because they sound like classic Offspring.

Personally, I found the closures to Splinter and RAFRAG disappointing. The last tracks on both aren't to my taste (well Rise and Fall is but it sounds too familiar to another famous song for me) and Da Hui/Lets Hear It For Rock Bottom aren't really ending songs.

I think the album will be sweet though. The only thing that worries me is if the fun songs will fit in context with the album. Days Go By (the song) at first glance seems very early in the tracklist as well considering the thematic context. It's the "we're gonna be all good one day peeps" song which I would have thought would naturally fall into place towards the end of the album. But as I said we don't know jack about the album yet and I don't want to be that guy who reads so far into every little thing I get in a grammar argument with Greg's bass guitar.

/overanalysisftw

Degstur Lolland
06-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Yeah, it seems like it gets mid tempo or slower from CC to DM and then it should pick up. First half of the album seems very punkrocking and the second half is with some fun songs, with some exceptions.

jacknife737
06-02-2012, 03:36 AM
I expect this to be the number 1 album of all time that changes the state of music forever.

Dexter_italy
06-02-2012, 03:57 AM
I expect this album to save the world from war and famine!

wait...aren't we all saying absurd things? :D

Dragnet
06-02-2012, 04:11 AM
I expect the record to make the martian's heads explode.

NoGuessing
06-02-2012, 04:29 AM
I thought this record changing the face of music forever and exploding martians was a given that almost didn't need to be said. A half truism perhaps?

I'll see myself out.

Llamas
06-02-2012, 04:40 AM
I honestly have no expectations for this album. I've been a fan since Americana came out, so I've been around for now 4 album releases, and I have to say - this is the one I'm the least excited about. I like The Future is Now enough, but not enough to make up for my "meh" feelings about Days Go By and my "ugh" feelings about Cruisin' California. Basically, I expect there to be a few new songs on this album that I dig. And I also expect Dirty Magic to be cool. And I also expect there to be some songs I can't stand (like CC). So that's that. :P

Microwave Jellyfish
06-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Pretty much the same with me. I don't expect them sounding like their old self again, but at least they should go back to the generic pop-rock style of RAFRAG. No more CC-like autotune efforts and I'll be pleased.

Still, I simply can't imagine CC and Dirty Magic being on the same album. I hope they won't change the latter one for the worst.

Puschka
06-02-2012, 05:25 AM
I think this album would be the album I'll like the most for these reasons:
* Days Go By: Can't stop listening over and over again.
* Cruising California: The first time it sounded very strange and not offspring but now I like it!
* Album Cover: For me the best album they have!
* The message of hope that Dexter and Noodles say.
* And also I like the new and the old stuff

BagOfShenanigans
06-02-2012, 05:43 AM
I expect nothing so that I have everything to gain.

Defender
06-02-2012, 05:48 AM
I am waiting for an album better than RAFRAG and this is enough for me. From what I 've seen/heard so far I can say that my expectations are on a high level;)

samseby
06-02-2012, 05:52 AM
I expect this to be the number 1 album of all time that changes the state of music forever.

LOL ;)

Still, I simply can't imagine CC and Dirty Magic being on the same album. I hope they won't change the latter one for the worst.

I agree to the first part of this and I'm really looking forward to hearing it and meanwhile I somehow have a good feeling about this one :)

Totally forgot / blocked out that there's gonna be something ska-ish too :p
All in all it's gonna be a wild mixture ;)

Llamas
06-02-2012, 06:48 AM
One thing I have to add is that Dexter's commentary regarding the album does give me a bit of hope (ooooh, he gave me hope by talking about how the album's about having hope!), because I really do think it could be a concept album. It's sounding more and more possible, and if it is, that could be way cool, even with lamer songs like CC and DGB. It does sound a lot like Dexter really cares about this album, which wasn't a feeling I got about CO1 or Splinter, and still not that much about RFRG. It really sounds like this album means a lot more to the band than those albums did, and that could make a huge difference. Plus it's the first album since CO1 (maybe even Americana... I have a feeling there were issues with Ron for a while before he actually left) where the band has a steady drummer and is connected. And if the most recent video of The Future is Now is any indication of the rest of the album, it could be incredible. It's just that CC and DGB have me worried...

RonWelty
06-02-2012, 06:57 AM
I expect this to be their 9th album and to have some Green Day ripoff. Without that it isn't an Offspring album of the new millennium.

_Way_Down_the_Line_
06-02-2012, 07:11 AM
I expect this album to be more comercial-wise than RAFRAG, and that it'll have more catchy songs too, I think those 2 things come hand by hand, but other than that, lets hope it rocks the hell out of us with some songs like Hammerhead and Million Miles Away.

killboybowerhead
06-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Maybe Im alone here in still being a big offspring fan, but not actually liking an entire album after americana. I have only liked about 4 or 5 songs on each album... but they're always really great songs and I still listen to smash, ignition etc all the time and go to shows.

really for me its i only liked
co1- damnit I changed, denial, want you bad
splinter- the noose, hit that, can't get my head, lightning rod
rafrag- half truism, trust in you, hammerhead, yggfk

so far i know i like the future is now.

Llamas
06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
I expect this to be their 9th album and to have some Green Day ripoff. Without that it isn't an Offspring album of the new millennium.

lol, but what songs did they rip from Green Day before RFRG?

Camilamazed
06-02-2012, 10:03 AM
I had high expectations for RFRG and got disappointed. I had higher expectations for Days go by, but after listening to Cruisin' California they left the building. The song is only acceptable to me because of the lyrics - I still cannot get my head around the Kate Perry rip off. The joke song had to sound like the band.

I like Days go by very much because, unlike what I've heard so far, it doesn't remind me of Foo Fighters as much as it did in concerts last year. However, it saddens me that the band has done a song with the same theme before, Can't Repeat.

I'm happy about The future is now. It sounds fantastic live and even though it doesn't remind me of anything that the band has done previously, it sounds like The Offspring. No, I still cannot hear Rise Against.

What hurt the most was expecting something that "sounds like Ignition", but getting something like Cruisin' California. :(

RonWelty
06-02-2012, 10:26 AM
lol, but what songs did they rip from Green Day before RFRG?

I don't know. Maybe none :D. It's just cool to mock Dexter.

GamerKT
06-02-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't know. Maybe none :D. It's just cool to mock Dexter.

Maybe that's why he hates you. :p

RonWelty
06-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Maybe that's why he hates you. :p
LOOOOOOL maybe maybe

DMelges
06-02-2012, 11:28 AM
You know one thing that I like about the band is how they experiment but always maintain their own style. Sure CC was a bit suprising, but honestly? It's not THAT different from Pretty Fly. Pretty Fly has a heavy guitar riff but that's about it.

The Future Is Now is really really cool, and can't wait to hear the studio version.

I think we all have to be very careful with what we say. We always dislike stuff in the beginning, but then we start viewing it differently and we enjoy it.

Krojd
06-02-2012, 11:47 AM
History of my expectations and enthusiasm for this record from 0(fish) to 100(through the roof)

goes like this:

2009 - 0
2010 - first version of You Will Find a Way: first 50, then 65
2011 - second version of You Will Find a Way: 50

Days Go By - 40
Days Go By with The Future Is Now - 85
Days Go By with The Future Is Now and CC - 60

Degstur Lolland
06-02-2012, 01:35 PM
One thing I have to add is that Dexter's commentary regarding the album does give me a bit of hope (ooooh, he gave me hope by talking about how the album's about having hope!), because I really do think it could be a concept album. It's sounding more and more possible, and if it is, that could be way cool, even with lamer songs like CC and DGB. It does sound a lot like Dexter really cares about this album, which wasn't a feeling I got about CO1 or Splinter, and still not that much about RFRG. It really sounds like this album means a lot more to the band than those albums did, and that could make a huge difference. Plus it's the first album since CO1 (maybe even Americana... I have a feeling there were issues with Ron for a while before he actually left) where the band has a steady drummer and is connected. And if the most recent video of The Future is Now is any indication of the rest of the album, it could be incredible. It's just that CC and DGB have me worried...
It doesn't look like a concept album. TFIN and DGB touch the economical crisis, but that will be all. They revealed themes and it's pretty much about anything, diverse and universal.

Pfff, lamer songs, RFRG didn't have them and kinda failed.

He cares about the album, they worked on it a looot and it will be better than the last two for sure. Fans could simply pinpoint things that were wrong.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Americana or CO1 drums. Having Josh Freese problem is more than welcome. :D Pete is another professional, but could be more fitting for some songs and they have them both anyway.

It seems like Dexter dominated last records or at some point here, it was accepted that he does it all. Now, they say that everyone contributes, but how much, god knows. The last Garbage record went through 4 brains and it's amazing.

Not sure what your problem is with DGB or CC, you are not a newbie listener and lots of work went into those songs. But, I somehow don't see them doing CC song again, they will probably need to be more funny and without trashy whores, if CC fails then they are still a step back behind Foo Fighters or Linking Park.

Outerspaceman21
06-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm really looking forward to this new album. My expectations are pretty high, though that bothers me because I don't want to get them too high. From reading about it, I'm really anxious to hear it, especially "Dividing by Zero", "Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell" and "Hurting as One". Also excited for the Dirty Magic remake, as well as the more diverse songs on the new album, like OC Guns (reggae inspired with a mariachi breakdown, sounds wicked)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-02-2012, 03:43 PM
i think it's best to aim low so i don't get disappointed
That's wise

Little_Miss_1565
06-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I expect something that could go platinum, but it would be great if they regained gold in the USA. Though, it's about singles these days, CC could conquer YGGFK.

I'm not sure I can accurate portray to people outside the US how difficult it is to sell 100,000 albums, let alone 500K, let alone a million.

I don't think it's realistic to expect platinum from any album these days except for Bieber or Gaga.

Degstur Lolland
06-03-2012, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure I can accurate portray to people outside the US how difficult it is to sell 100,000 albums, let alone 500K, let alone a million.

I don't think it's realistic to expect platinum from any album these days except for Bieber or Gaga.
I see, that's why I said something that could go. RFRG is at around 300K (in the USA) and YGGFK 1.6M (maybe worldwide) so that's the realistic measure. Gold 500K would be great at this point, but I think that if the shit is good, it's good and it will sell anytime.

What about Linking Park, Foo Fighters, Blink-182 or Nickelback? How much do they sell?

Little_Miss_1565
06-03-2012, 09:34 AM
What about Linking Park, Foo Fighters, Blink-182 or Nickelback? How much do they sell?

Totally different situation for Nickelback / LP. Can't compare. I can't imagine Blink sells anything much now tho.

Dexter_italy
06-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Totally different situation for Nickelback / LP. Can't compare. I can't imagine Blink sells anything much now tho.

I think the only who may do that are LP and the Foo's. no nickelback. They could sell a lot doing a soundtrack for a big marvel movie for example, that could help :D

Degstur Lolland
06-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Linkin Park is just under Platinum with the last one.

Nickelback is Gold with the last one so far...all previous albums are multi-platinum.

Foos, the last one was very successful album, only Gold. :D

It doesn't go further than gold. :d The Offspring is destined to 200 000-300 000. No more hope for better dayz.

Blink the last one 259 000, not Gold yet.

Coldplay the last one is Platinum with 1.4M.

Gregmau5
06-04-2012, 04:30 AM
History of my expectations and enthusiasm for this record from 0(fish) to 100(through the roof)

goes like this:

2009 - 0
2010 - first version of You Will Find a Way: first 50, then 65
2011 - second version of You Will Find a Way: 50

Days Go By - 40
Days Go By with The Future Is Now - 85
Days Go By with The Future Is Now and CC - 60

You Will Find A Way (2010) - 55
You Will Find A Way (2011) - 65
Days Go By - 70
The Future Is Now - 90
Cruising California - 70

GamerKT
06-04-2012, 04:58 AM
I don't know if I can wait another three weeks, guys. Probably gonna kill myself.