PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Burn It Up called Ignition?

GamerKT
06-06-2012, 01:33 AM
I mean, it's about fire, ignition is mentioned, and it's bitchin'. Why wasn't this just called Ignition and made the title track? I don't get it.

Dexter_italy
06-06-2012, 02:03 AM
why long way home wasn't called splinter?

Eskimo
06-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Why wasn't Jamie Hyneman called Walrus?

Why wasn't Gilbert Gottfried called Awesome?

Why are bananas yellow?

Meep meep.

jsmak84
06-06-2012, 03:44 AM
No bananas are born yellow rind is green, then turns yellow when ripe, then there is browning. First green then yellow then brown up to the black color of many a banana. But the banana is yellow when ripe.

Instead, the oranges are not only orange but there are also blood oranges from Sicily.

Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

And what the hell

It 's one thing seems fairly logical to me.

However, the Sicilian blood oranges are always the best

Seeing is believing

Eskimo
06-06-2012, 03:45 AM
...Shut your fucking mouth. :p

jsmak84
06-06-2012, 03:49 AM
I closed my mouth, I'm using the keyboard!

Hhahahahahahahahahah XD

dff_punk
06-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

I actually haven't laughed in a long time on something on this BBS. Do I smell a new sig?

TheJakes84
06-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Why Wasn't The New One Called Chinese Democracy? :rolleyes:

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-08-2012, 01:26 PM
No bananas are born yellow rind is green, then turns yellow when ripe, then there is browning. First green then yellow then brown up to the black color of many a banana. But the banana is yellow when ripe.

Instead, the oranges are not only orange but there are also blood oranges from Sicily.

And what the hell

Seeing is believing

I closed my mouth, I'm using the keyboard!

Hhahahahahahahahahah XD

I love you <3 (no homo)

GamerKT
06-08-2012, 01:42 PM
So, no actually answers, then? Hm. :/

TheJakes84
06-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Try asking some one who actually knows for sure. For instance with accurate use of knowledge.

GamerKT
06-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Try asking some one who actually knows for sure. For instance with accurate use of knowledge.

Is there such a thing as an inaccurate use of knowledge? wat.

There are a lot of people on this forum who have a buttload of knowledge about the band and whatnot. Since I don't have Dexter's number, this is the best way of finding out. Please don't be rude.

TheJakes84
06-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Is there such a thing as an inaccurate use of knowledge? wat.

There are a lot of people on this forum who have a buttload of knowledge about the band and whatnot. Since I don't have Dexter's number, this is the best way of finding out. Please don't be rude.

I do apologize for being rude. Next time I will mind my own business.

GamerKT
06-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I do apologize for being rude. Next time I will mind my own business.

Be in my business. Just don't be rude.

DarrellOCguy
06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Why wasnt cruising california called "fuck our fans"?

Britpunk
06-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Funny, as a fan I don't recall asking you to speak for me on this subject. You don't like the song - this is fine, but there are ways to express that without being a disrespectful douchehole. Still your favorite band, huh?

Back to topic: I think Burn It up works better as a song title than Ignition would, but I think as an album title Ignition really captures the feel of the record as a whole.

DarrellOCguy
06-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Funny, as a fan I don't recall asking you to speak for me on this subject. You don't like the song - this is fine, but there are ways to express that without being a disrespectful douchehole. Still your favorite band, huh?

Back to topic: I think Burn It up works better as a song title than Ignition would, but I think as an album title Ignition really captures the feel of the record as a whole.

They ARE my favorite group. Doesnt mean i like EVERYTHING. I can do or say whatever the hell i want. Im not a fan that is a total fucking ass kisser, Sorry.

Lord Phidias
06-11-2012, 09:44 AM

And what the hell

Seeing is believing

This, full of win. Jsmak for King of the BBS.

Ristifer
06-11-2012, 10:22 AM
They ARE my favorite group. Doesnt mean i like EVERYTHING. I can do or say whatever the hell i want. Im not a fan that is a total fucking ass kisser, Sorry.
You need to calm down, brah.

chris9012
06-11-2012, 01:38 PM
As long as we're nominating songs that need a title-change, lets change "Come out and play" into "Keep 'm separated". It's just easier that way.

For Burn it Up/Ignition:
Burn it Up is just a Bitchin' title. So the real question should be: Why wasn't Ignition called Burn It Up?
Burn It Up is more instructional and destructive, Ignition more campfires and candles.

On CC(BIMT):
You don't have to listen to it, and you don't have spam your opinion on it in every thread.

cool 2 hate 681
06-11-2012, 03:41 PM

because they can't put fuck on the tracklisting;)

DarrellOCguy
06-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Good call. Maybe it should have been "stuff is messed up (no really, listen to this)"

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-11-2012, 05:49 PM
As long as we're nominating songs that need a title-change, lets change "Come out and play" into "Keep 'm separated". It's just easier that way.

Keep m separated?
Keep m separated!
nn <- I separated it

They can't? Is it illegal or something?

SåS
06-12-2012, 05:09 AM
I would like to think that Burn It Up wasn't called Ignition because BIU is an upbeat song with a less serious side of writing, Ignition the album is actually a pretty dark album and the band probably didn't want to associate Ignition with that kind of subject/theme.

It's like how they didn't put Mission From God on Ignition because they didn't want people to think they're associated with religion.
The band really seemed to care what people thought..

Eskimo
06-13-2012, 04:25 AM

Blow yourself.

It's no more 180-degree-turn-from-their-usual-sound than "Why Don't You Get A Job?" They've been doing this for years. Like it or don't, personally WDYGAJ has always bugged me (despite being fun), just quit'cher'bitchin', son.

That's right, I said "son". I'm a fucker.

Llamas
06-13-2012, 04:41 AM
Blow yourself.

It's no more 180-degree-turn-from-their-usual-sound than "Why Don't You Get A Job?" They've been doing this for years. Like it or don't, personally WDYGAJ has always bugged me (despite being fun), just quit'cher'bitchin', son.

That's right, I said "son". I'm a fucker.

I doubt anyone this is directed at will read this post, but I'm gonna write it anyway. First off, I don't like CC. Let's just say that it's one of the worst songs they've ever done (I'd also put songs like Worst Hangover, Spare Me the Details, Kristy, When You're in Prison, and Want You Bad around the same level... but I like WDYGAJ?, Pretty Fly, Hit That, and hell even Original Prankster more than this one), and I know I will skip over this track every time I listen to the album. It's worse. It really is. However...

The Offspring HAS been writing shitty songs like this for the last 14 years. Even though I like it less than many of them, this is not out of left field. To say that the band is saying "Fuck our fans!" is ridiculous, obnoxious, and uncalled for. (If any band ever wrote a song that could be called "Fuck our fans!", it would be Against Me!'s "Stop", and that shit's legit. The band would probably even agree with you there.) This is who the Offspring is. I'm convinced that this is the stuff Dexter loves writing, but he keeps churning out harder rock songs to keep the old fans happy. If anything, he's doing the opposite of saying "Fuck our fans!" Musically, though, this song is not worse than stuff they've done before. The reason I hate it is because it's just completely vapid and void of anything interesting. The lyrics are generic, boring, and annoying; the music is generic and boring; the video is horrible; and even Greg K seems annoyed in the video. ;) But it's still not at all a far cry from some of the crap they've produced in the past. This is not a 180. They didn't just suddenly wake up and stop writing rock, and pull this out of their asses.

All that said, I am looking forward to this album. Even though CC kinda pisses me off, and I've said some pretty harsh things about it and how it makes me view the band (kinda sexist, kinda vapid), I still can't let go of the fact that I thoroughly enjoy a lot of their music. I've been checking every single day to see if the album has leaked, and I already have plans to put it on my mp3 player and listen the shit out of it everywhere I go. Some of the songs sound genuinely intriguing and interesting, and I love how invested Dexter is in this album. Despite the negative feelings I have toward CC, toward maybe Dexter as a person, toward the band's general lack of innovation in their music, Dexter's and Noodles' attitude toward this album is INCREDIBLE. They haven't been this excited about a release since I've been a fan (Splinter was probably the most excited they were, and they sure as hell weren't as invested in that as they are in this one).

NoGuessing
06-13-2012, 05:02 AM
I don't think The Offspring would rather write pop songs as such, but rather they (at least Dexter and Noodles - Greg doesn't seem too enthused) like pop and they like punk and this results in albums with multiple personality disorder.

This is the furtherest they have gone in the pop direction, either because they wanted to stretch the boundaries for the first time or because they haven't dared to on previous albums. A lot of their fanbase tends to like one genre or the other, not both.

Eskimo
06-13-2012, 05:33 AM
I think if a good portion of the album as a whole sounded this way, the whiners would have a case. I mean, seriously, I love 50% of RAFRAG and the other I personally think is dog balls. I'm not raving about how they screwed us all over by jumping onto the success of American Idiot with a bunch of songs sounding like it.

But one track, on an album that is at least seemingly going to be a bit more intense, and (dare I use such a shitty term) "darker" than the last two, the fact there's one dorky goofing-around "more Katy Perry than Dexter" song on there doesn't mean dick to me. If the other songs (at least a majority) have an "Offspring" Offspring and not "Let's Try Something Different" Offspring sound, I'm totally cool with it.

Again, whether it be a Ska track on Smash, or the other various "haha, the Offspring is doing a "_____" song?" instances over the years, they've always done it. Admittedly, like Llamas said, this is my least favorite one, but so what? It's dumb, but hearing it once or twice in a while isn't going to kill anyone, it's fun on a superficial level, I can deal with it for the three minutes or whatever it takes.

And, if not? You know, skip the track. Easy. I do it with Prankster and Want You Bad all the time on Co1. But I don't hate them either.

Hey Man Where's Everybody
06-13-2012, 05:37 AM
I kinda feel like "CC" was written after Dexter and Noodles saw this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I). "Hey, let's try one of those."

Eskimo
06-13-2012, 05:40 AM
That song isn't referring to this type of thing at all.

At least not specifically. It's radio songs in general. Like, going back two or three decades before this type of autotune/Katy Perry/Flo Rida type of stuff existed.

06-13-2012, 05:43 AM
That song isn't referring to this type of thing at all.

At least not specifically. It's radio songs in general. Like, going back two or three decades before this type of autotune/Katy Perry/Flo Rida type of stuff existed.

It's referring to exactly this type of thing, since it's the same note progression. I realize it's a musical trope that's been around forever, going all the way back to Pachelbel's Canon, but The Offspring takes it to a whole new level in "CC" by not deviating from the change at all throughout the entire song. Not even a two-note lift during the middle 8. It's remarkable, actually.

I think it's funny that they're already in that video twice ("Self Esteem" and "You're Gonna Go Far Kid" are both parts of the medley) but this is by far their most flagrant use of the progression.

Llamas
06-13-2012, 05:49 AM
I kinda feel like "CC" was written after Dexter and Noodles saw this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I). "Hey, let's try one of those."

Dude, all of their songs fit that. Basic four chords. And they have several that are those particular chords.

06-13-2012, 05:53 AM
Dude, all of their songs fit that. Basic four chords. And they have several that are those particular chords.

See my post above

Eskimo
06-13-2012, 05:56 AM
She obviously did read it, before telling you you're wrong.

CC doesn't use it any "more" or "less", it's just brighter and more unconventional for them, so it's jumped over as a departure.

06-13-2012, 06:04 AM
She obviously did read it, before telling you you're wrong.

CC doesn't use it any "more" or "less", it's just brighter and more unconventional for them, so it's jumped over as a departure.

I'm sure I'm wrong in that I don't honestly think the band watched that video and thought "let's make one of those". But it's clear that this song does match that trope more than any other they ever made before. Like I said before, it doesn't deviate from that progression at any moment-- every other time the band has made songs that fit that type, there's either a verse/chorus differentiation or a middle 8 in which they move away from it. This song is just the same progression repeated throughout. What other Offspring song is there where it's these same 4 chords throughout the entire thing, with no variation whatsoever? I can't think of any.

I realize your point and I agree, it's myopic to see this as that much of a departure for the band. But the point I'm trying to make is not about production, or how "bright" it is, it's about the harmonic structure of the track.

Llamas
06-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Hit That uses exactly three chords (E, G, A). Very, VERY simplistic song when it comes to chords and structure. Rise and Fall only uses 4 chords over and over without a variation in chords. Worst offender of them all is Gone Away. E G D A, over and over, no variation, for the entire song.

Point is, they have a lot of songs like this.

06-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Hit That uses exactly three chords (E, G, A). Very, VERY simplistic song when it comes to chords and structure. Rise and Fall only uses 4 chords over and over without a variation in chords. Worst offender of them all is Gone Away. E G D A, over and over, no variation, for the entire song.

Point is, they have a lot of songs like this.

They do. And I don't want to get needlessly fastidious about it. But they're not these same four chords, are they?

So my point that this song sticks to the "four chords of pop" template closer than anything they've done before still stands. Surely, we agree that this is their most flagrant use of the trope?

Eskimo
06-13-2012, 06:52 AM

...Nein.

06-13-2012, 06:53 AM

...Nein.

Well then. You're a good debater.

Eskimo
06-13-2012, 07:03 AM
It's already been explained to you why your argument is more or less dumb. Why play your game?

Nazi says "nein". Go home.

06-13-2012, 07:37 AM
It's already been explained to you why your argument is more or less dumb. Why play your game?

Because it's what people do on internet message boards. Desultory conversation on rock-music minutiae.

"My argument" is not so much an argument as a statement of fact. I've been pretty cordial throughout, and have backed my opinions. ilovellamas has done the same. You've offered little more than "yeah, what she said!".

I love how this ultimately becomes the last refuge of everyone who's been backed into a corner. "Why play your game?". Why indeed.

Eskimo
06-13-2012, 08:31 AM
If you read back a few posts, you'll see my backing of my points.

Useless bitching at each other is petty dickery and there's not much point in engaging in it.

TheJakes84
06-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Be in my business. Just don't be rude.

How kind of you, will do.

KennedyDK
06-13-2012, 02:48 PM
might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-14-2012, 05:51 PM
First off, I don't like CC. Let's just say that it's one of the worst songs they've ever done (I'd also put songs like Worst Hangover, Spare Me the Details, Kristy, When You're in Prison, and Want You Bad around the same level... but I like WDYGAJ?, Pretty Fly, Hit That, and hell even Original Prankster more than this one)

I thought almost everyone here loved Want You Bad. I've heard nothing but positive remarks about it but I don't really like it that much. It's one of my least favorite tracks on CO1.

I agree with most of what you said. I'll be your own personal Eskimo.

GamerKT
06-14-2012, 05:59 PM
How the fuck did my thread about Ignition turn into yet another "bitch about Cruising Californa" thread? Holy shit, people.

SåS pretty much answered me well enough.

This new album needs to come out, like, now. You people are insane.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-14-2012, 08:23 PM
How the fuck did my thread about Ignition turn into yet another "bitch about Cruising Californa" thread? Holy shit, people.

SåS pretty much answered me well enough.

This new album needs to come out, like, now. You people are insane.
Yeah, sorry about that.