PDA

View Full Version : Ray Bradbury is DEAD.

WebDudette
06-06-2012, 08:16 AM
This shit is getting out of hand. I'll be honest, I thought Ray Bradbury had been dead for a while, then was surprised when I found out he wasn't, then sad when I realized he just died. I need to sleep.

Anyway, everyone's read Fahrenheit 451, like it or hate it you probably understand its significance.

Outerspaceman21
06-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Bummer. Great author. I remember going to a High School that didn't require you to read Fahrenheit 451 (or maybe it was, and the teachers just didn't care enough to make us read it). I had to seek it out on my own after I graduated. Good book. My favorite work of Bradbury, though, was the short story "There Will Come Soft Rains". He will be missed.

Godxilla
06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Man, this famous-people-dying thing really is getting old!
I didn't care for Whitney Houston, nor Michael Jackson, nor Donna Summers, or even Dick Clark, but Ray Bradbury? Geez!
Loved the Martian Chronicles. I'll be reading it and Fahrenheit 451 over the summer in his memory. RIP, Ray, you will be missed. :(

jacknife737
06-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Didn't know he was still alive.

Loved his work though. I was talking with some friends the other day about book to film adaptations we'd like to see, and Fahrenheit 451 was right at the top of my list.

Thomas
06-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Didn't know he was still alive.

Loved his work though. I was talking with some friends the other day about book to film adaptations we'd like to see, and Fahrenheit 451 was right at the top of my list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060390/

But yes, this is sad indeed. I don't read a lot of books, but I've actually read several of his. The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit is a wonderful story, so I'll have to pick up the actual written book somewhere.

TheJakes84
06-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Youtube has a disturbing music video dedicated to him but saw it and how nasty and disgusting that Rachel Bloom while wearing a wannabe Britney Spears school outfit.

jacknife737
06-07-2012, 04:39 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060390/

I've seen that, it's good but I wouldn't mind seeing an updated version, especially given the massive advancements in visual effects since the 1960s

WebDudette
06-08-2012, 01:52 AM
This is what a guy I graduated with had to say about it:

http://i.imgur.com/aBqen.png

T-6005
06-08-2012, 02:35 PM
This bums me out pretty fucking hard, I have to admit.

Of the authors who really kind of shaped what I read and how I read, I'd have to give the nod to Ray Bradbury. Fahrenheit 451 sucked me in from "It was a pleasure to burn" and didn't let up from that point. That it's a phenomenal critique of contemporary society (as much now as then) only heightens the fact that each sentence is beautifully constructed.

Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Martian Chronicles, even his short story collections like The Illustrated Man - they are phenomenal books, and even if his detours into neo-noir mystery like Death Is a Lonely Business never really appealed to me despite my love of noir, for me he stands as one of the writers with the most developed individual voices of the last hundred years.