PDA

View Full Version : The strive for authenticity

killboybowerhead
06-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Its kind of cool how the Offspring don't bother to strive for authenticity. Most bands seem to. I love the foo fighters and what not.. but sometimes it irks me to hear Dave Grohl talk about electronic music and how they recorded in their garage.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah, that's one of the things I love about the band. They don't take public image too seriously

Mark Rooster
06-06-2012, 01:36 PM
They've never even tried to HAVE much of a public image. Even when Smash was super-popular, they weren't on TV all the time like Green Day (something which Noodles, I believe, pointed out in an interview at the time).

XYlophonetreeZ
06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
I love the foo fighters and what not.. but sometimes it irks me to hear Dave Grohl talk about electronic music and how they recorded in their garage.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Dave has a really pretentious attitude about rock music. If "Walk" hadn't been such a good song, I would have refused to buy Wasting Light because of the shitty way he promoted it (bragging about how they recorded in his garage and how there isn't an acoustic guitar on the record).

That being said, I think your use of the word "authenticity" is awkward. I think authenticity is always a good thing, but I'd argue that Dave Grohl's idea of authenticity isn't the only kind. There's also, you know, making the kind of music that you want to make. That's pretty cool too. In short, authenticity is doing what you want, doing what you feel like.

DMelges
06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
I couldn't agree more with this statement. Dave has a really pretentious attitude about rock music. If "Walk" hadn't been such a good song, I would have refused to buy Wasting Light because of the shitty way he promoted it (bragging about how they recorded in his garage and how there isn't an acoustic guitar on the record).

Be that as it may, Wasting Light is an amazing album from start to finish. And you actually can hear the difference in the sound that recording manually made in the album.

I also think it's really cool that the Offspring don't overexpose themselves in the spotlight, makes them one of those bands that keep to themselves but simply blow everyone away when they're on stage. I also love the fact that none of them have ever been involved with drugs ( not that I know of anyway, involved in drug scandals and addiction). They drink a couple beers and that's it. So even if they were to suddenly be super exposed in the midia, there wouldn't be anything bad to say about them, at all.

randman21
06-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Yeah, authenticity isn't the word. Is there a word for it?! I can't think of one, but in the Foo Fighters' case, I'd say "pretentious". When I saw them in concert, I thought Dave was saying that The Colour and the Shape was recorded in their garage. That would have been pretty cool. But I bet the garage for Wasting Light was nicer than most studios, and probably didn't have a car and power tools in it like a regular garage. But I guess I wasn't that bothered anyway, because the album actually did have a unique sound that I liked.

Back on topic, I totally agree with you. Offspring has never tried to be a representative for any agenda and haven't really taken many stands. That sounds like a weird thing to admire, but they've always been of the mindset of "shut up and let the music speak for itself". That's authenticity to the core.

killboybowerhead
06-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Id say echoes>wasting light. There are a few songs three quarters the way through of wasting light kinda get boring. My understanding of authenticity is being true to ones character or ideal.. "I record in a garage there for I am still a real rock band." But its bs because like someone said with the amount of money that guy threw into the garage it aint a garage anymore... he just doesn't even have to drive to a studio now.

Llamas
06-06-2012, 03:27 PM
It's not something I admire, but it's something I can respect. I'd rather a band who doesn't use their celebrity to push their beliefs, than one who can't shut up. However, I'm much more drawn to care about a band or singer if they promote or are activists for something I believe in. I really don't have a clue what the Offspring believes or not, what kind of people they are, and even their lyrics tell you nothing about them as people... which is part of why they're not one of my favorites anymore.

But again, I respect it.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-06-2012, 03:34 PM
doing what you want, doing what you feel like.
It's amazing how one can instantly get a song stuck in their head. I've had The Decline stuck in my head for most of today, and this fixed it.

killboybowerhead
06-06-2012, 03:45 PM
However, I'm much more drawn to care about a band or singer if they promote or are activists for something I believe in. I really don't have a clue what the Offspring believes or not, what kind of people they are, and even their lyrics tell you nothing about them as people... which is part of why they're not one of my favorites anymore.

But again, I respect it.

I am on the opposite side of things. I find the activists impersonal and I get burned out quick on bands like anti flag or rise against after siren. But sounds like you're more politically active so I guess you can relate better.

TheJakes84
06-06-2012, 09:47 PM
They've never even tried to HAVE much of a public image. Even when Smash was super-popular, they weren't on TV all the time like Green Day (something which Noodles, I believe, pointed out in an interview at the time).

They seem not to care about being seen in the spotlight or limelight or whatever stuff. The Offspring are such a rare band and the members are so down to earth and specially humble. The music is self explanatory and the fans are cool with it.

Eskimo
06-07-2012, 12:44 AM
To be fair though, weren't the last few Foo Fighters records recorded at Dave's home? I thought he's had his own studio for quite a few years?

And I think it's a little odd complaining about what he's saying, because that new Foo disc is the best-sounding album they've ever done, it sounds incredible. And Social Distortion's Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes was recorded the exact same way, using old amps from the 70s and totally analog and shit. Aside from the actual songs being great, it sounds fucking perfect.

In a world of records being produced like Death Magnetic and stuff, with that really irritating electronic digital clicking vibe, I'm siding with Dave here. Sure, maybe he could be a little less high-horsey about it, but his general point is a totally solid one.

Llamas
06-07-2012, 04:52 AM
I am on the opposite side of things. I find the activists impersonal and I get burned out quick on bands like anti flag or rise against after siren. But sounds like you're more politically active so I guess you can relate better.

It's probably true that I'm more politically active, but I'm not only talking politics here. But bands like Anti-Flag are way over-the-top for me... too much. It shouldn't be the first thing people know about the band!

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-08-2012, 01:32 PM
I love Anti-Flag!

except for their lyrics :)

Outerspaceman21
06-09-2012, 01:08 AM
I really admire The Offspring for their attitude towards fame and popularity. They don't overexpose themselves and get into interview after interview and brag about themselves like most mainstream musicians. They've always been very modest and down to earth despite their tremendous success and that's one of the reasons why they are one of my favorite band. They never let their money or fame go to their heads.