PDA

View Full Version : 12 year old song

SMASHedTHEignition
06-10-2012, 07:52 AM
There are those unused songs laying around?

Thereís a song and I donít want to get into it but weíve been holding it back for probably 12 years. I think itís such a great strong song but we just havenít figured out how to make it sound worthy of an Offspring record and fit somehow.

Sorry if this has been posted before, i just read the interview then and i thought this was kinda cool, curious will they ever release it

Dexter_italy
06-10-2012, 07:54 AM
it can be pass me by...or not

SMASHedTHEignition
06-10-2012, 08:07 AM
i spose it could be, they didnt use it on splinter because it was to heavy and didnt fit the album

TeddyBear_Army
06-10-2012, 08:07 AM
i think this mos def is pass me by. Splinter is 9 years old by now (which would kinda fit into this song's "timeline") and that's when we learned about Pass Me By. Noodles stated that they've been working on AIHLIY since the last album, so I'm afraid we won't be hearing Pass Me By anytime soon.

_Lost_
06-10-2012, 09:03 AM
In 20 years of recording, I'm sure they have an entire backlog of song ideas and even songs nearly finished. I know the Used said when they were brainstorming for their new album, they had like 60 song ideas that they worked on.

DarrellOCguy
06-10-2012, 09:04 AM
There are those unused songs laying around?

Thereís a song and I donít want to get into it but weíve been holding it back for probably 12 years. I think itís such a great strong song but we just havenít figured out how to make it sound worthy of an Offspring record and fit somehow.

Sorry if this has been posted before, i just read the interview then and i thought this was kinda cool, curious will they ever release it

Worthy of an Offspring record??? And FIT SOMEHOW? Seriously???
What are they worried about? Theres nothing they could release that would surprise me anymore. Id take Country, Jazz, Classical or even Doo wop over cruising california.

Tijs
06-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Wow 12 years? They've had a great song for 12 years and haven't released it yet? I want. I must have. B-side? Bonus? In any way?

Degstur Lolland
06-10-2012, 11:01 AM
12 years seems like CO1 demo.

They could have PMB since 2000, but I think AIHLIY is PMB, he said at least the last album, but could be sooner. PMB was considered for RFRG so it's not clear.

But, it could be the other way around, AIHLIY would be one of RFRG's 24 demos and PMB would be even CO1 demo or early Splinter demo.

Also, I remember some interview with Dexter and he said that there were not many additional demos in 90s. They had always gone for around 12 songs and worked on them hard.

TheJakes84
06-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Pass Me By 10101010

Britpunk
06-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Back in '98/99 a board member (who'll remain nameless unless he wants to be revealed) told me that there existed a song from the Ignition sessions. I'd never heard of this before (and I was a pretty damn hardcore fan back then), and it just seemed much too good to be true. After a bit of pestering, he suggested the song title - Mission From God.

Imagine my glee when the song finally came out, especially given how good it was.

Anyway, if I have a point, it's that I really hope this 12 year old song, and any others they might have tucked away, make it out. I'm sure it will!

Omni
06-13-2012, 03:05 PM
In 20 years of recording, I'm sure they have an entire backlog of song ideas and even songs nearly finished. I know the Used said when they were brainstorming for their new album, they had like 60 song ideas that they worked on.

Linkin Park said they demoed like 120 songs or something ridiculous for Minutes to Midnight. Somewhere during promotion for the last album, Dexter said that the Offspring have never been a band with a lot of leftover songs; like two per album or so. But he also said they demoed 20 or 24 for the last album, so they definitely have at least a couple albums worth just laying around somewhere.

But when a band says they demo 60 or 120 for one album, I know immediately that 98% of those songs are probably complete shit and weren't released for a reason, and I have no interest in hearing them. But just a few outtakes makes me feel a little better, like they honestly just had a couple too many to fit onto the record, or they got a wild hair up their ass and wrote a weird (but good) song on the side that just didn't fit in with the rest. That's just not possible with 100+.

I am definitely interested in hearing any outtakes from Ignition or beyond. It was cool to get that six song demo tape out, just for the history, but those songs were all crappy quality and really kind of sucked - but I feel that way because I really didn't care for the first album very much. Pretty much every outtake I've heard besides those I have liked.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-14-2012, 06:37 PM
You know what would be awesome to hear? An Outtake from Smash. I suppose most of them would have been modified for Ixnay though.