PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I lack common sense

bighead384
06-11-2012, 08:20 PM
You know those people that just can't think on the spot and often lack common sense? Ever ordered a sandwich from some kid, and he just keeps fucking up, forgetting things, and getting flustered? That's me.

I guess I'm bringing up two different things (getting flustered and lacking common sense), but the mistakes I make in situations that require problem solving are likely due to both.

Can anyone relate to this?

What does it mean to lack common sense on a psychological level? Is it literally the same as being unintelligent in an certain aspect of problem solving? Or is it just a result of other pressures such as anxiety, or being overly prone to getting flustered?

Lord Phidias
06-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Most of my fuck ups in life are due to unconsious self sabotage, maybe you fuck up on the things you don't care or don't really like.

ad8
06-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Common sense hasn't been that clearly defined in psychology. Mostly common sense reasoning is just contrasted with scientific reasoning, where common sense is the kind of hypothesis-testing and explaining that the layperson uses for him/herself whereas scientific reasoning is more reliant on theory and controlled research, etc.

BagOfShenanigans
06-12-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm not very orally literate. I don't think quickly enough to expel a full sentence containing all of the big words that I enjoy using. I usually just end up sounding like a tard, save for the few occasions that I just happen to luck out and find every word I want.

bighead384
06-12-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm not very orally literate. I don't think quickly enough to expel a full sentence containing all of the big words that I enjoy using. I usually just end up sounding like a tard, save for the few occasions that I just happen to luck out and find every word I want.

Totally man. I wanted to bring up this exact same thing with that very example because I feel it's related to my fuck ups, but I thought I'd be bringing up too much all at once.

It's literally like I think too slowly for conversations, and sometimes, for life in general. I have these spells in situations where I need to think on the spot in which I just black out with unproductive thoughts. I know everyone experiences this from time to time, but it's a constant thing with me.

Is it really "slow" thinking, as in, thoughts that literally process slowly? Or is it more about an inability to have focused, productive thoughts the way most people do.

If a person thinks slowly, is there a test that might expose this? Perhaps trying to sight read music?

Jojan
06-12-2012, 09:55 AM
I have never ordered a sandwich.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-12-2012, 06:58 PM
I have never ordered a sandwich.
Fascinating.

findout5
06-14-2012, 08:45 AM
You know those people that just can't think on the spot and often lack common sense? Ever ordered a sandwich from some kid, and he just keeps fucking up, forgetting things, and getting flustered? That's me.

I guess I'm bringing up two different things (getting flustered and lacking common sense), but the mistakes I make in situations that require problem solving are likely due to both.

Can anyone relate to this?

What does it mean to lack common sense on a psychological level? Is it literally the same as being unintelligent in an certain aspect of problem solving? Or is it just a result of other pressures such as anxiety, or being overly prone to getting flustered?

Being aware and accepting there is a problem is halfway to resolving it.
Not being capable of responding on the fly doesn't mean anything. It's something you need to work on until it becomes 2nd nature. Then you don't think it, you do it.
Needless to say, I hope you don't become a homicidal maniac thanks to this advice!