PDA

View Full Version : THE OFFSPRING is in an article by FORBES because of .... CRUISIN CALIFORNIA.

RonWelty
06-13-2012, 03:46 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/leorgalil/2012/06/13/on-the-offspring-and-chasing-trends-in-pop-music/

KennedyDK
06-13-2012, 03:57 PM
This song deserves ALL the negativity it gets. Its not HORRIBLE, but it wasnt a cool move. The Autotune is the worst part, it still makes me sad that they did that. Fucking Alice Cooper pulled the same crap. ALICE COOPER.

http://www.itemvn.com/song/Alice-Cooper-What-Baby-Wants-Welcome-2-My-Nightmare/F6BB5135E5

I dont like this new trend. Its like rappers sampling Rock songs. Now its just getting retarted.

Llamas
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Hot damn, that journalist has horrible grammar. And while I agree with many of his points about CC, he's dissecting it wayyyy too much. It's a dumb, kinda shitty song. Not enough there for a two-page article.

RonWelty
06-13-2012, 04:01 PM
well but for FORBES be doing an article, one thing is undeniable: this song is getting a lot of buzz.

nightvision
06-13-2012, 04:04 PM
well but for FORBES be doing an article, one thing is undeniable: this song is getting a lot of buzz.

Yeah I think it's kinda cool :)

GamerKT
06-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Ugh. I don't mind that the band did CC -- I really don't -- but why did the label (or whoever) want it as a single? Now, every idiot gonna assume that the entire album will sound like CC when it won't. Wait till the album comes out, you hacks.

0r4ng3
06-13-2012, 04:13 PM
While the article does have a point, the writer comes off as incredibly pretentious. It's like he typed this up in Microsoft word and then right-clicked on every other word to look up synonyms.

On the topic at hand, it is said that there's no such thing as bad publicity...

Dexter_italy
06-13-2012, 04:13 PM
the more these discussions go on the more I want the album and enjoy it in spite all this shit. I like punk rock stuff, but I like different songs too. So welcome days go by. I understand people not liking CC, but I cannot but laugh reading that the other songs are "enemies"..... the offspring haven't done an entire punk rock album since ignition really, all the others got some different stuff, so nobody can expect an album full of rock songs. Everybody complained about joke songs, they did rafrag and people complained about kristy, fix you, the track order and whatever they could think about. So really, I welcome them doing what they want, because nobody will ever be completely satisfied.

RonWelty
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
the more these discussions go on the more I want the album and enjoy it in spite all this shit. I like punk rock stuff, but I like different songs too. So welcome days go by. I understand people not liking CC, but I cannot but laugh reading that the other songs are "enemies"..... the offspring haven't done an entire punk rock album since ignition really, all the others got some different stuff, so nobody can expect an album full of rock songs. Everybody complained about joke songs, they did rafrag and people complained about kristy, fix you, the track order and whatever they could think about. So really, I welcome them doing what they want, because nobody will ever be completely satisfied.

you're a sucker!

The Search Button
06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
The Offspring have never fooled me!

I always thought they were a bunch of trend chasers!!

How dare them follow the Ramones with that punk thing!!!

Dexter_italy
06-13-2012, 04:28 PM
you're a sucker!

You just wanted me to watch your weak team today :D that's why you're pissed :D fuck ronaldo ahaha

brothadave79
06-13-2012, 04:31 PM
I welcome them doing what they want, because nobody will ever be completely satisfied.

I agree with this. Though I do kinda like CC, I like it more that the band is still into writing songs and performing, and that they're actually having fun doing it. Even if you don't like CC, it's coming out just as the band is performing all of Ignition live and rotating their setlists on a level they haven't done in about 7 years (Warped Tour 2005). If this is the "price" fans have to pay for new albums, shows, and maybe a Smash anniversary in a couple years, I think most of us can manage to live with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_GxXRbSFDg

Britpunk
06-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Well of course music journalists will be sneering assholes about it. That's their job.

Still, Forbes and LA Times in the space of a few days... At least people are paying attention to this one, unlike DGB.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-13-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't get it. If it were a, shit, I don't know who's "in" these days, you crazy kids, Katy Perry song, every single critic would be fapping all over it. Why does the backround of the artist matter so much, as long as the song is enjoyable? And yeah, I think it is a good song. And it's not really that far off from the band's usual business.

DMelges
06-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Funny how if The Offspring had released the most amazing song in the world, no one would be writing about that.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Funny how if The Offspring had released the most amazing song in the world, no one would be writing about that.

Yeah, that's the fucked up fact of the last 3 years in the music industry. The more shit you get the more succesful you become.

DMelges
06-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah, that's the fucked up fact of the last 3 years in the music industry. The more shit you get the more succesful you become.

That's what pisses me off about this whole CC thing. So it's a crappy pop song, so what? Does it really destroy your life and your love for the band?

Seriously, they should be getting credit for the awesome songs they write, and the amazing shows they have been giving us this tour. Not destroy their entire reputation because of one song.

They have made it clear that this is a silly and fun song. They know it's dumb but it's still a fun song. They had fun writing it, so let it be.

Angelo
06-13-2012, 05:12 PM
While the article does have a point, the writer comes off as incredibly pretentious.

Pretentious is right! All these lame motherfuckers need to get over themselves, and fast!

When will people get it? Dexter just writes shit that he enjoys in one way or another. He digs fast, in your face punk. He likes a lot of pop. He's been influenced by middle eastern musical sensibilities. How anything he writes is a surprise to anyone (particularly fans) just shows how out of touch they are with this fact. Not to mention how much they project their own wants and desires on to him.

The dude flies a jet for fun: He no need yo' monies!

The dude wrote THE best selling indie record of all time, without even trying: He no need yo' approval!

The dude could write "Cruisin'..." all day long - IF he wanted to: Get over yourselves and move on to the next track!

I wuv you Dexter!! :D

This rant wasn't intended for (or at) anyone in particular. Just touching on the idea that people don't seem to get Dexter as a song-writer, yet claim to be "in the know" in one way or another.

Llamas
06-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Are you guys seriously complaining about journalists doing their job? "omg they don't write about my favorite band the way I want them to! THEY'RE SO STUPID!" This is what they're paid to do. You rarely see articles about how great a new song is by credible sources. We're not talking TMZ here.

Wait for the album reviews before you start blowing your whistles. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSnkWzZ7ZAA)

TheNooseIsFalling
06-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Wait for the album reviews before you start blowing your whistles. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSnkWzZ7ZAA)

Ouch. Does he have any songs that are not about blowjobs?

Angelo
06-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Ouch. Does he have any songs that are not about blowjobs?

You know what they say, "Write what ya' know!"

Camila
06-13-2012, 06:10 PM
That's what pisses me off about this whole CC thing. So it's a crappy pop song, so what? Does it really destroy your life and your love for the band?

No, it doesn't; but the thing is when it's your favorite band they're talking about it's natural to get upset specially when A LOT of us saw this coming.

Seriously, they should be getting credit for the awesome songs they write... Not destroy their entire reputation because of one song.

Bingo. That is what a lot of us have been trying to point out. We always hope that the new stuff is going to be as good as the previous ones. I know everybody moves on, life goes, days go by what have you, but it's just hard to break away from the past and you can see that reflected on the audience. Everybody is just loving the new vibe with the band bringing old stuff. Fans always hope that the next records will be as awesome.

They have made it clear that this is a silly and fun song. They know it's dumb but it's still a fun song. They had fun writing it, so let it be.

Why let it be? If we loved the song we could go on forever? This is something that is bothering me - and a lot of other members for that matter - because it did not happen when RAFRAG came out; people would go on and on about Fix You and Kristy. For some reason, CC is bringing the best - and the worst - in people.

Now concerning the article:

The song (Pretty fly) also doesn’t stray too far from the group’s well-established sonic sensibilities, keeping the work in line with The Offspring’s well-established vision. It helped re-establish The Offspring as a powerful voice in alternative rock a little more than four years after the group’s breakthrough album, Smash...

There. A pop song? Certainly, but still within the scope of what the band has always done meaning the band didn't need to record a song resembling for instance Vanilla Ice (or Eminem) songs. Perhaps that is not what CC was meant to be. If so, I still cannot comprehend its purpose (should there be one). If it is a joke, I still think it is a bad one - not lyrically. Now, if it's not a joke, what in this world is it?

I sure hope the intention of CC, song and video, is to flop to exactly get the media attention artists like Gaga, Kate Perry or totally absurd Minaj because seriously how can Kate Perry be as successful as Michael Jackson single-wise?

Degstur Lolland
06-13-2012, 06:34 PM
There. A pop song? Certainly, but still within the scope of what the band has always done meaning the band didn't need to record a song resembling for instance Vanilla Ice (or Eminem) songs. Perhaps that is not what CC was meant to be. If so, I still cannot comprehend its purpose (should there be one). If it is a joke, I still think it is a bad one - not lyrically. Now, if it's not a joke, what in this world is it?
But, the thing is that if they did Pretty Fly again they would repeat themselves. Even the video is not as exclusive as PF because it wouldn't be very punk today. You're not punk enough, Camila. :D

Alien Invader
06-13-2012, 06:38 PM
A LOT of us saw this coming.

Exactly. So..um..keeping that in mind, why are people getting so upset?

offsrx
06-13-2012, 06:38 PM
this:
" Perhaps the track had been intended as a joke, something akin to “ Pretty Fly,” but there’s a big difference between intent and execution, and it’s difficult to think the band has become the thing it once lampooned—a group of clueless trend-chasers."
I'm so sorry but - this is impression which CC left on me after listening to it for 1st time.. And It still kinda is :(
I knew that other people were gonna bash the song.. Offspring you've shouldn't done this song! :(

Camila
06-13-2012, 06:39 PM
But, the thing is that if they did Pretty Fly again they would repeat themselves. Even the video is not as exclusive as PF because it wouldn't be very punk today. You're not punk enough, Camila. :D

Oh... So now being punk nowadays is actually not being punk? Well, it makes sense because that's what Dexter and Noodles said on that interview right?!

Now I see it hahaha

Britpunk
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Camila,

I just don't see why its worth getting all stressed over. The band presumably thought it was a good idea to record and release the song. I trust their judgement in this (I also genuinely like the song, joke or not, but each to their own, eh? ;) ).

As for reviews - they're not worth bothering with, and certainly not worth worrying about. Hell I remember when Ixnay came out and NME utterly slated it, saying that the only saving grace was that Gone Away sorta sounded like a U2 b-side. And yet Ixnay consistently appears near the top of most fan's Offsrping album-rank (at least on the message board).

It is also worth reading this article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2012/may/27/bad-critical-reviews-jay-rayner?INTCMP=SRCH). It's about food criticism, but it speaks volumes about why critics will often write comically bad reviews, when a simple 'i don't like this song', or simply ignoring it will do - people remember bad reviews - they share them around - they get the website a whole bunch of hits, which == more advertising revenue.

Back to your post, you talk about how people 'went on and on about Fix You and Kristy' after RAFRAG - but it sounds like that kinda annoyed you. Assuming it did, do you not think that going on and on about CC isn't gonna get annoying, especially for those fans who either like it or are fairly ambivalent towards it? (i know there's plenty who are guilty of this, so please don't feel i'm picking on you - i've responded to other CC posts in the past).

Finally I just think everybody just needs to relax a bit. The album is out in 8 days in a few places so most of us will hear it by then or shortly after - if not on the bands soundcloud, then at least on youtube (i assume nobody torrents anymore since its damned easier just to buy music nowadays), and I think then we'll be able to listen to CC in the context of the album. It may be jarring and horrible, but we'll see....

Degstur Lolland
06-13-2012, 07:06 PM
this:
" Perhaps the track had been intended as a joke, something akin to “ Pretty Fly,” but there’s a big difference between intent and execution, and it’s difficult to think the band has become the thing it once lampooned—a group of clueless trend-chasers."
I'm so sorry but - this is impression which CC left on me after listening to it for 1st time.. And It still kinda is :(
I knew that other people were gonna bash the song.. Offspring you've shouldn't done this song! :(
It's not punk to repeat yourself. Only Bad Religion repeat themselves, but they are retarded anyway. It's punk to imitate once lampooned shit now. Clueless? They have just made modern shiz into punk.

_Lost_
06-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Hot damn, that journalist has horrible grammar.

It's like he typed this up in Microsoft word and then right-clicked on every other word to look up synonyms.
This article was a little painful to read...

Is it just me or did he actually talk about the song very little in this article? It is like... "ramble ramble ramble song sucks ramble about other songs"

Hey Man Where's Everybody
06-13-2012, 07:54 PM
It's an okay piece. I don't think it's any more flowery or longwinded than most music journalists, and I seriously doubt a thesaurus was needed for most of it. But his observations are kind of obvious and on-the-nose, and he could've taken it some interesting places. A missed opportunity, but all in all I liked the article better than I like the song.

06-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Really wonder if this gamble will pay off. It might be a huge song for them on the radio, or it might end up just fizzling out like Pearl Jam's pop single (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj-sFIHQWLY) did a couple of years ago. That said, PJ's vie for relevance was hardly as egregious as The Offspring's. The stakes seem to be higher for them. If they end up alienating a big portion of their fanbase with this release, and the general public still doesn't care, that would really suck for them.

Jesus
06-14-2012, 12:35 AM
This song/video gets more reviews in the US compared to DGB vid while not even being released in the US. Maybe they should put the video as unavailable from a US ip adress to get even more reviews ;)

XYlophonetreeZ
06-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Really wonder if this gamble will pay off. It might be a huge song for them on the radio, or it might end up just fizzling out like Pearl Jam's pop single (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj-sFIHQWLY) did a couple of years ago. That said, PJ's vie for relevance was hardly as egregious as The Offspring's. The stakes seem to be higher for them. If they end up alienating a big portion of their fanbase with this release, and the general public still doesn't care, that would really suck for them.
Yeah, that PJ song is definitely an attempt to alter their style, but a whole different ballpark from Crusing California. Chris Cornell came close with that horrible song he did with Timbaland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OgwDVaCiSw). The one that sounded like Britney Spears' "I'm a Slave 4 U" in the verse and Marc Anthony's "I Need to Know" in the chorus. Although I guess it wasn't the same because he was already somewhat relevant after doing that James Bond song and all the Audioslave stuff.

I think the viral factor alone will propel CC at least somewhere. I doubt it will be a durable mainstream hit though. I expect to hear it primarily in cheap public high school hangouts that are run by foreigners who just take a wild guess as to what "the kids" like. I used to frequent this sushi place that played "Friday" twice in 30-minute periods. Often.

findout5
06-14-2012, 02:33 AM
We should have one thread just for the bad reviews CC is going to get.
The reporter is right...they are trying to follow the trend and getting slammed in the process. Why can't they just....delay the record and delete the song? We could pretend we never heard it! Everyone would go on with their lives...

Also, what the fuck are you guys calling autotune??? What is that?

Defender
06-14-2012, 02:46 AM
I wonder... how the band feels about all this shit thrown by the media and their fans.

I welcome them doing what they want, because nobody will ever be completely satisfied.

Exactly... Welcome to reality!

Llamas
06-14-2012, 05:48 AM

This is more like the time Jewel made a crappy pop album (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5Wg25NAt8), which was even worse cause it was an entire album. Her diehard fans held on to the notion that "OMG she's making fun of pop music! Of course!!!" but that was very quickly disproven when Jewel kept saying in interviews that she wanted to try making pop music and she worked with Shakira on it... Well, after that album, she went back to dark, serious folk music, and even tried to go "country". But her credibility was gone by then, and she kinda fell off the face of the earth... could happen to the Offspring, too, but you never know.

Also, what the fuck are you guys calling autotune??? What is that?

You're not sure what autotune is? It's software that alters the pitch of your voice. You can sing (or even talk) into a microphone, record it, and then with the software, you can basically make the sounds match certain notes - you can turn speech into a melody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBb4cjjj1gI). It gives the singing a weird electronic effect, but if you don't use too much of it, it's harder to notice. It's either used for its sound effect in modern pop music (T-Pain is known for using it), or to adjust for people who aren't very good singers and can't hit notes on their own.

There's autotune in CC, during the chorus, when it goes "Turn up the beat yeah, I wanna feel it, California" That "California" is heavily autotuned.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-14-2012, 06:17 AM
You're not sure what autotune is? It's software that alters the pitch of your voice. You can sing (or even talk) into a microphone, record it, and then with the software, you can basically make the sounds match certain notes - you can turn speech into a melody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBb4cjjj1gI). It gives the singing a weird electronic effect, but if you don't use too much of it, it's harder to notice. It's either used for its sound effect in modern pop music (T-Pain is known for using it), or to adjust for people who aren't very good singers and can't hit notes on their own.

There's autotune in CC, during the chorus, when it goes "Turn up the beat yeah, I wanna feel it, California" That "California" is heavily autotuned.

I think most professional singers use some kind of autotune on their albums, I've been told it's virtually impossible to hit all the exact, perfect notes in a single take. It's just very very hard to notice because they're so close.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZz8X8Un5Dg he's talking about it at 3:22 and I think that's what they're doing at 1:22. And this guy is a great singer.

samseby
06-14-2012, 06:18 AM
We should have one thread just for the bad reviews CC is going to get.
Yes please. Before we waste some more precious space :p

The reporter is right...they are trying to follow the trend and getting slammed in the process.
Don't really think so, my guess is: It was just a try ... maybe to see how far they could presumably go ;) I also agree with the statement that after all these years as a band it's kind of easy to write the same stuff over and over again (but maybe not really that fulfilling). Some "change" or "following trends" doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing (if it's moderate and credible that is). Personally I'd prefer a distinctive sound though :p

Why can't they just....delay the record and delete the song? We could pretend we never heard it! Everyone would go on with their lives...
:D Gotta admit, that made me laugh!

EDIT:
I actually wonder if this was a one-off or if it marks the beginning of a new era. Yeah, I know Pretty fly and the like were songs "like" this ... but I got the feeling this one is different.

Llamas
06-14-2012, 06:30 AM
I think most professional singers use some kind of autotune on their albums, I've been told it's virtually impossible to hit all the exact, perfect notes in a single take. It's just very very hard to notice because they're so close.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZz8X8Un5Dg he's talking about it at 3:22 and I think that's what they're doing at 1:22. And this guy is a great singer.

It's not almost impossible; I've done it, and I'm not even that good of a singer. Honest singers record take after take til they get it right. I listen to a lot of artists that refuse to use any "studio magic" and some/many hit every pitch live, even. Autotune is cheating, in my opinion, unless you're using it for creativity/style purposes.

findout5
06-14-2012, 07:06 AM
This is more like the time Jewel made a crappy pop album (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5Wg25NAt8), which was even worse cause it was an entire album. Her diehard fans held on to the notion that "OMG she's making fun of pop music! Of course!!!" but that was very quickly disproven when Jewel kept saying in interviews that she wanted to try making pop music and she worked with Shakira on it... Well, after that album, she went back to dark, serious folk music, and even tried to go "country". But her credibility was gone by then, and she kinda fell off the face of the earth... could happen to the Offspring, too, but you never know.

Thanks for the explanation.
Although, I'm pretty sure that the effect on the "California" part is called vocoder.

Dexter_italy
06-14-2012, 07:10 AM
this is the best usage of autotune ever made XD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5d858rrxpE

06-14-2012, 07:29 AM

Yup, and much like Pearl Jam (and, similarly, Liz Phair), it didn't really pan out as the move wasn't much of a hit (I remember "Intuition" being on the charts for a bit, and the rest of the album sinking catastrophically). If a gamble like that doesn't pay off, what does one do? One either goes back to the well, or an entirely different direction altogether. If the gamble does pay off, it could either earn them the commercial/artistic license to do whatever they want, or it could further constrict them to that novelty-pop genre. I guess what I'm saying is anything could happen, and it's going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

disclaimer_07
06-14-2012, 07:31 AM
this is the best usage of autotune ever made XD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5d858rrxpE

Obviously you never heard the auto-tuned version of SunnyD and Rum. :D

06-14-2012, 07:39 AM
It's not almost impossible; I've done it, and I'm not even that good of a singer. Honest singers record take after take til they get it right. I listen to a lot of artists that refuse to use any "studio magic" and some/many hit every pitch live, even. Autotune is cheating, in my opinion, unless you're using it for creativity/style purposes.

Honestly, I'm fine with autotune as a corrective measure. Studio time is really expensive and sometimes you can't afford that many hours to get the best possible take, and minor tweaking is needed.

In fact, autotune is a lot less conspicuous than most people realize-- it's probably in a lot of the records you listen to. It's not usually as obvious as the "californiaaa" bit in CC. In fact, there have been instances of autotune in at least the last three Offspring records, but they're there for correction.

The "Californiaaaa" bit on CC is an aesthetic decision based on the current trend of using auto tune as a vocoder rather than a functional tool for restorative purposes. That I'm not crazy about, and it's a really annoying sound.

Little_Miss_1565
06-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OgwDVaCiSw

Wasn't the end of his world.

06-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Anyone remember this?

It was the end of my man-crush on Chris Cornell.
Man, "Euphoria Morning" was so good. I think it was better than anything Soundgarden ever recorded.

findout5
06-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Man, "Euphoria Morning" was so good. I think it was better than anything Soundgarden ever recorded.

I wouldn't say better. I'd say as good as Soundgarden, but in a different way!
My "mancrush" on him ended with Carry On...too bland and boring, not good enough...3 solo records and all going downhill (the last one really was hideous and for collecting purposes I had to buy the fucking thing - it goes without saying that as much as I hate CC I will buy it if it gets a physical single release).
Ah...sweet euphoria...

Little_Miss_1565
06-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Well yeah, it was a superbummer to learn that he might exchange his northwestern sensibilities for a quasi-misogynistic Timbaland pop song, but still. He learned and moved on and got back to his shit.

findout5
06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Well yeah, it was a superbummer to learn that he might exchange his northwestern sensibilities for a quasi-misogynistic Timbaland pop song, but still. He learned and moved on and got back to his shit.

I think he went back to doing decent things for financial reasons. If that Scream record had done well I'm afraid he'd be a lost soul now!
And, so that you know, he got divorced from his 1st wife (soundgarden's former manager) and she left him on a bad financial situation (rumors are she even took his grammy). This is when he started asking more money from Audioslave which lead to their break-up as a band. Then Carry On...etc. So, I think he just reunited Soungarden for an easy payday...but I love'em still!

Little_Miss_1565
06-14-2012, 09:02 AM
I think he went back to doing decent things for financial reasons. If that Scream record had done well I'm afraid he'd be a lost soul now!
And, so that you know, he got divorced from his 1st wife (soundgarden's former manager) and she left him on a bad financial situation (rumors are she even took his grammy). This is when he started asking more money from Audioslave which lead to their break-up as a band. Then Carry On...etc. So, I think he just reunited Soungarden for an easy payday...but I love'em still!

Mike Patton got Faith No More back together for the payday following his very expensive Italian divorce. I say do it for the money so long as the ends justify the means. I got to see FNM twice when I thought I'd never get to see them ever!

findout5
06-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Mike Patton got Faith No More back together for the payday following his very expensive Italian divorce. I say do it for the money so long as the ends justify the means. I got to see FNM twice when I thought I'd never get to see them ever!

I'm still dreaming of seeing Soundgarden live...on a semi-related note I got to see bands I thought I'd never see live (Kyuss and RATM come to mind).
Singers and their divorces lol

Camila
06-14-2012, 10:52 AM

Agreed.

I got to see FNM twice when I thought I'd never get to see them ever!

Lucky you. I cannot leave this life without seeing Faith no More. :(

TheJakes84
06-14-2012, 11:30 AM
What Baby Wants
[feat. Ke$ha]

She gonna come for you
And you can try to run and hide
No matter what you do
She gonna take it deep inside
You're thinking this could be a dream come true
But you don't really understand
She feeds on flesh and blood and boys like you
She gonna make you be a man

She'll take your bleeding heart and your soul, no regrets
Coz what baby wants (What baby wants wants wants)
Baby gets (She's gonna gonna gonna get)
What baby wants (What baby wants wants wants)

[The Devil:] I gotta pretty face
[Steven:] Yeah but I've seen what's hiding underneath
[The Devil:] You like my pretty mouth
[Steven:] But you got razor blades instead of teeth
[The Devil:] And now its too too late for you
[Steven:] Oh yeah tell me what you gonna do
[The Devil:] I'm gonna drain your veins and bathe in your blood
[Steven:] Honey I seen worse then you
[The Devil:] I'll make you sit, beg, roll over, play dead
[Steven:] Ain't gonna be your little pet
[The Devil:] Oh really...

What baby wants (What baby wants wants wants)
Yeah what baby wants (What baby wants wants wants)

Bay tells lies, Baby looks you in the eyes
It's her aphrodisiac, when she stabs you in the back
She comes on like a saint but that's exactly what she ain't
Not a damsel in distress, she's the devil in a dress
She's gonna stay with you
She's gonna play with you
It's one thing you can bet

[The Devil/Steven:] I'll make you sit, beg, roll over, play dead. I'm gonna be your little pet

What baby wants, baby gets

Oxygene
06-14-2012, 01:40 PM

I used 0 autotune, it wasnt even really that wide spread when we recorded... Feel free to find anything off key on our album.

Oh yeah, I am a shitty singer! Not even mediocre... But bad.

DarrellOCguy
06-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Anyone remember this?

No but it could part of the end of the world soundtrack. God thats awful. Never liked soundgarden alot but that is really bad

Llamas
06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Honestly, I'm fine with autotune as a corrective measure. Studio time is really expensive and sometimes you can't afford that many hours to get the best possible take, and minor tweaking is needed.

In fact, autotune is a lot less conspicuous than most people realize-- it's probably in a lot of the records you listen to. It's not usually as obvious as the "californiaaa" bit in CC. In fact, there have been instances of autotune in at least the last three Offspring records, but they're there for correction.

The "Californiaaaa" bit on CC is an aesthetic decision based on the current trend of using auto tune as a vocoder rather than a functional tool for restorative purposes. That I'm not crazy about, and it's a really annoying sound.

I know the Offspring has used it on previous records; it's very obvious on songs like Fix You and Kristy. I can recognize it pretty easily, actually, even when it's not intentionally obvious. Again, quite a lot of the musicians I listen to do not use autotune.

Studio time is expensive, yes. That's why you practice like crazy before entering the studio so that you can record in less time, and that's why signed musicians make more money than most of us. If I'm paying 40 euros for your concert and another 15 for each CD, then use that money to create honest music, please. I really like how Cake made their last album with equipment that was entirely run on solar power, in a little cabin in the middle of nowhere :D That shit's badass.

Little_Miss_1565
06-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Studio time is expensive, yes. That's why you practice like crazy before entering the studio so that you can record in less time, and that's why signed musicians make more money than most of us.

Have you ever made a record? I've had my vocals fixed with autotune or manual tuning because we just didn't have time to have me sit there for however long it was going to take to get a good take, or I'd blow out my voice in the process.

I really like how Cake made their last album with equipment that was entirely run on solar power, in a little cabin in the middle of nowhere :D That shit's badass.

Goddamn hippies! :mad: :mad: :mad:

06-14-2012, 04:00 PM
I know the Offspring has used it on previous records; it's very obvious on songs like Fix You and Kristy. I can recognize it pretty easily, actually, even when it's not intentionally obvious. Again, quite a lot of the musicians I listen to do not use autotune.

Studio time is expensive, yes. That's why you practice like crazy before entering the studio so that you can record in less time, and that's why signed musicians make more money than most of us. If I'm paying 40 euros for your concert and another 15 for each CD, then use that money to create honest music, please. I really like how Cake made their last album with equipment that was entirely run on solar power, in a little cabin in the middle of nowhere :D That shit's badass.

That is pretty cool. A bare-bones approach to recording can yield some really good results, like the first Bon Iver album. But I just can't bring myself to be bothered by the use of autotune as a corrective too-- I guess I don't see how tuning a singer's voice is any different from editing the timing (which is standard practice), double tracking to fatten up vocal lines or EQ trickery during mixing. The end result is sound over time. There's a million lies in a recording, why tuning a singer's voice is such a taboo, I don't understand.

Dexter_italy
06-14-2012, 04:06 PM
I record myself without autotune 'cause I still have to learn to use it...but I'm more punk if I shound shitty....or at least it's a good excuse :)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-14-2012, 09:20 PM
On the topic at hand, it is said that there's no such thing as bad publicity...
I disagree

It's not punk to repeat yourself. Only Bad Religion repeat themselves, but they are retarded anyway. It's punk to imitate once lampooned shit now. Clueless? They have just made modern shiz into punk.
I strongly disagree

NoGuessing
06-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Can we dispel the myth Bad Religion recycle the same album again and again please?

The only copies I can think of are Sanity/Infected and the intro for I Want to Conquer the World/Wrong Way Kids.

Suffer and The Dissent of Man are worlds apart.

Dexter_italy
06-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Can we dispel the myth Bad Religion recycle the same album again and again please?

no sorry..it's the truth... I like them, but you could put almost every song in every album and it would fit.

NoGuessing
06-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Nah. The Devil In Stitches would sound completely out of place in their earlier albums.

Dexter_italy
06-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Nah. The Devil In Stitches would sound completely out of place in their earlier albums.

did you read the word "almost" I used?

NoGuessing
06-15-2012, 01:34 AM
Only Meeting of the Minds would fit on Suffer. I'll grant you the Suffer/No Control/ATG years were pretty similar, but apart from that each album sounds distinct to me.

Llamas
06-15-2012, 06:19 AM
Why is HAU so obsessed with what is and isn't punk? This guy has serious identity issues :P

TheOldMark
06-16-2012, 12:38 PM
jesus christ... give the PR girl at Sony a raise!

Dexter_italy
06-16-2012, 12:55 PM
jesus christ... give the PR girl at Sony a raise!

They've got all the copies in some kind of buker... it will open itself on the 26th

jacknife737
06-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Only Meeting of the Minds would fit on Suffer. I'll grant you the Suffer/No Control/ATG years were pretty similar, but apart from that each album sounds distinct to me.

Bad Religion manages to make a little changes with each album that allow them to remain fresh and unique, but nevertheless, i can pretty much tell you how each album from them will sound; its not as if they reinvent themselves. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.