PDA

View Full Version : Favorite moments in Offspring songs

Hey Man Where's Everybody
06-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Not necessarily favorite songs, but favorite moments from the songs. Little touches that make the songs special.

I really dig the background vocals at the end of "Kick Him When He's Down" (my favorite Offspring song)-- the "t'salright! t'salright!". It's wonderful in that it injects a little hope into an otherwise pretty bleak song.

Similarly, "my life is for me" at the very end of "Pay the Man". Offspring are pretty good at bringing these despondent, borderline nihilistic songs to an uplifting resolution.

"GOD HELP ME" from "Special Delivery". A crowning moment of awesome in CO1.

When the vocals kick in on "Lightning Rod". It just sounds absolutely badass.

The way "Hypodermic" just kind of falls apart at the end.

What are your favorites?

Dragnet
06-13-2012, 08:27 PM
The intro of Change The World is outstanding. One of the best album closers ever.

"Something To Believe In": Where they lead you will follow...

GamerKT
06-13-2012, 08:29 PM
The intro of Change The World is outstanding. One of the best album closers ever.

I love that intro, too.

My vote would have to be the end of Million Miles Away, where every previous vocal track plays at the same time. So amazing.

06-13-2012, 08:31 PM

I really love that. Gosh... they need to go back to writing these big, menacing, lumbering middle 8s. "Genocide" also has a great one.

06-13-2012, 08:32 PM
My vote would have to be the end of Million Miles Away, where every previous vocal track plays at the same time. So amazing.
Yup. Similarly, I really like the entire end section to "The End of the Line", where they do a similar thing.

GamerKT
06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Yup. Similarly, I really like the entire end section to "The End of the Line", where they do a similar thing.

I was gonna add that one, too, but I wanted it limit it to one. :p

XYlophonetreeZ
06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
I might think of more later, but I love the way they completely change songs like "It'll Be a Long Time" and "Have You Ever" in the middle and then return to the original theme.

Ristifer
06-13-2012, 08:55 PM
The part in Demons when Dexter sings "But in your linen robes, oh, we want you now..." and then the tempo picks right up again after that verse. Gets the blood pumping.

Similar to the OP, I love the part right before the "GOD HELP ME!" in Special Delivery when Dex repeats, "You can't kill a man when he's got no hope."

The "falling" part in Living in Chaos where Dex just belts it out.

The clean strumming part after the solo in Blackball.

I also love how Dex says "yeah" after every line in the chorus of Nothing From Something.

randman21
06-13-2012, 09:05 PM
I'll keep chiming in as I think of them, but right now I'm thinking of the solo from I Choose. I fits the song so well.

My favorite at the moment is that fantastic drum fill that leads into the solo of Forever and a Day. Not even the best drummer could top Ron's sloppy style right there.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Three words.

Bump.

That.

Trunk.

gabrielsouz
06-13-2012, 09:49 PM
-The intro of Kill The President

-The chorus of Forever and a Day

Puschka
06-13-2012, 11:01 PM
* Hammerherad: When Dexter says:"and you can all hide behind your desks now and you can cry teacher come help me"
* Jennifer Lost The War: When it starts
* What Happened to you?: The solo and the last "What in the world happened to you?"
* We Are One: The way it stops and then continues
* Pay The Man: The Intro
* Me And My Old Lady: The chorus
* Days Go By: 2:55 until 3:07

TheNooseIsFalling
06-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Wow, there's so many...
-Can't Repeat riff
-the way Pay The Man gets agressive (damn that clean guitar tone is unbelievable)
-the part right before the 3rd chorus comes in in Long Way Home
-CGMHAU intro
and many many more...

Defender
06-14-2012, 01:19 AM
I love the way they completely change songs like "It'll Be a Long Time" and "Have You Ever" in the middle and then return to the original theme.

This. These "changes" of the rhythm in the middle of the songs are what I really love. This characteristic made me fall in love with the Offspring when I listened to them for the first time.

Some of my faves :
(Chronological order)
Demons
Beheaded
It'll be a long time
Something to believe in
Cool to hate
Have you ever
The end of the line
Special delivery
Long way home

and

Defy you

Gregmau5
06-14-2012, 01:22 AM
- Long Way Home drum solo
- Ah! Fuck! Fuck Fuck! Fuck!
- Change The World intro
- Greg's bass solo in Have You Ever
- Stupid dumbshit goddamn motherfucker!
- I Choose solo
- Defy You, Something To Believe In and The Future Is Now bridges*
- GOD HELP ME!

Among many others.

Dexter_italy
06-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Long way home drum solo;
change the world intro\breakdown
crossroads bass intro
get it right breakdown and re-start
staring at the sun drum roll before the fast part
all bass breakdowns XD

all this: intro, verse, chorus, breakdown, solo and lyrics
Things are coming down on me
They never seem to let it be
It seems like everything I say just starts another fight
The pressure's building up inside
I gotta let it out tonight
Shattered glass will cure my ills and make me feel alright

Gonna break it
And never stop running
Making nothing from something
Making nothing from something

Cut me for the lion's share
It's mindless, but I don't care
'Cause no matter what I say
I'm in another fight
Take more shit, I've had enough
Tonight I'm gonna rip it up
Broken windows cure my ills and make me feel alright

Martin_200
06-14-2012, 06:59 AM
The middle of Have you Ever with Bass solo

Bad Habit beginning and Stupid Dumbshit bit

Pay the Man - "Come down to sorry and sable, it's always the man!"

Beginning of crossroads.

I also like the opening tracks to a number of Offspring records as they start with that pure energy I love, i.e. Meaning of Life, Have you Ever, Come out and swinging, Half-truism!

Kickdrum
06-14-2012, 07:20 AM
The syncopated drum fills in MAMOL
The tempo change kicked off by Greg K's fat bass-line in Have You Ever
The Session Intro (vocal & drumbeat)
The 4-measure solos in Smash
Intro to Kill the President
"Ya, Ya, Ya, Ya, Ya"
"Open up the fridge and have a tall boy, yeaaaa"

_Way_Down_the_Line_
06-14-2012, 07:47 AM
One fine day: When he sings " I believe is my god-given right, to destroy everything in my sight "

Way down the Line: The first " It all just happens agaiaaaaaaan Way down the lineeeee nananan tatatat nanana " XD

Mota: Oh Fuck I got a Baggy of Oregano ! all the song is awesome but this part I always sing it dunno why xD

Walla Walla: "Hey man this is bullshit! he gave it to me it was a present ! aha

Angelo
06-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Self Esteem: Every single time Dexter sings "I know..."

Trust In You: The harmonies during each chorus.

The Kids Aren't Alright: The counterpart harmony during the second and third chorus'.

Probably a lot more but those are the first that come to mind, particularly the Self Esteem one.

TheJakes84
06-14-2012, 08:51 AM
shut up you talk to much - pay the man

artificial joys for you girls and boys - oc life

i'll save you're soul - gone away

she sees a million stars like holes in the sky
all gods tears for her they cry and i am in her rain - fix you

how did you know how did you know how did you know finally - denial, revisited

the things you say games you play - dirty magic

complicated x rated - want you bad

all my will all my strengh rip it out start again - defy you

flasback 1984 - the future is now

noodles solo riff on - the kid's aren't alright

my girlfriend my dumb donut - spare me the details

and dexter rappin' on the cruisin' cali4nia

BagOfShenanigans
06-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I like the bridge on Beheaded. "All my collection, adorns my room on bamboo poles..."

I like the additional syllable in Kick Him When He's Down. "How come-a they're so lame.."

I like the sheer enthusiastic tone that Dexter has when singing Get it Right. Especially the '91 version. Fuckin' soul, man.

The opening of Burn it up where Dexter sings, then the guitar plays a riff, then Dexter sings, then the guitar plays another riff. I also like the 4 strum bass line that plays during the opening vocal lines. Then the whole song explodes into a glorious ballad about arson.

Hypodermic had some great moments.
"Can't you see like you saw anymore?
Can't you feel like you felt before?
Can't you face anything anymore?"

Those high notes that are played in Dirty magic just before the drums kick in.

STUPID DUMB-SHIT GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKER!

The drum and bass intro to Gotta Get Away. Actually, the whole damned song is awesome.

That goofy little Arabian guitar part of Come out and play

Laaalaalalalalalaalaaalaalalalala!

"I'm not a trendy asshole
I Do what I want
I Do what I feel like
I'm not a trendy asshole
Don't give a fuck
If it's good enough for you
Cause I am alive"

The drums in the beginning of Gone Away. Instantly recognizable.

Okay YAYAYAYAYA!

I choose: "Look at me I'm falling off of a cliff now. You can still hear my mamma yellin' 'no no no'"
I still don't know what a banana fish is.
"If I wasn't such a weenie do ya think you'd still love me. Pretendin' I'm an airplane on the living room floor." The bass line that plays during this line is kick ass.

The part in Have you Ever when the whole song seems to break down, then slowly build up to the last part.

The chorus in The Kids Aren't Alright.

"Don't blame me I just work here but I still want to fuck it up!"

The first guitar riffs right after the drums start in Pay the Man. Though, that whole song is an eargasm.

3 minutes into Original prankster. Cowbell.

You're Gonna Go Far Kid: Maybe it's just an immature infatuation with obscenities but the 'Dance fucker dance' line is awesome.
I also like how they extended the chorus at the end "No more alibis, lord of the flies, hit him right between the eyes..."
Right after the guitar solo, the bass line that plays behind the chorus. (I really seem to like the bass guitar.. hmm.)

"Now you see me, now you don't. No vow to break, no string of hope. My hero, your pariah. They're coming after me-e-e."

Is that enough? Yes. Yes it is.

wrc307
06-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Have you ever:
- First "falling, I'm falling"
- Bassline outro

Da Hui's tremolo solo

Why don't you get a job:
The backing vocals in the chorus

Meaning of life:
The guitar part on the verse

Something to believe in:
"Where they lead
You will follow
Well I guess that's just the way it goes"

Lord Phidias
06-14-2012, 10:12 AM
-The intro of Kill The President

-The chorus of Forever and a Day

Yeah, those drums are baddass, and actually the last chorus of Forever and a day, where they merge the whooooooas, the words and the 2 guitars.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-14-2012, 08:12 PM
the end of Million Miles Away, where every previous vocal track plays at the same time.

I love both of these.

Three words.

Bump.

That.

Trunk.
No.

One of my personal favorites is the intro to Have You Ever? "Faaaalllliiing, I'm faaalllliiing!" That's such a killer opening to an album.

I also love the "Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!" at around the 3 minute mark in Hammerhead.

The vocal intro to Self Esteem will always remain a favorite.

In Americana, I like the suspense built up by the soft "aaaaahhaaaaahhaaaaaahah" in the intro. I also love the "Well fuck you." I may share the immature infatuation with obscenities that BagOfShenanigans has, even though I don't actually cuss myself (except for quoting things because I hate censorship).

And finally, like many others mentioned, the entire song of Pay The Man (excluding the silence, that's kinda boring).

joshgenis
06-14-2012, 11:20 PM
in have you ever, where he starts singing about "felt like there was more" and "what can make you whole was simply out of reach" i remember being depressed and being emotional at that part because i seriously felt like they were singing to me and i thought they understood what i was going through, and while i was feeling that i had a chill down my spine when it was almost like they answered me with "well i knooooooooow". so good

dff_punk
06-15-2012, 03:38 AM
Ok, one old and one new that maybe weren't mentioned:

The "I won't calm down" breakdown in Half-Truism.

The Arabic guitar in the bridge of Blackball(really fun to play btw).

Those I really like.

-Ignition-
06-15-2012, 04:09 AM
I still don't know what a banana fish is.

Well, then I can tell you.. A bananafish is a fish that swims into banana holes where they eat so much bananas that they get fat and when they're gonna swim out of the hole they get stuck. And then they die. It's from J.D. Salingers short-story "A perfect day for bananafish"

in have you ever, where he starts singing about "felt like there was more" and "what can make you whole was simply out of reach" i remember being depressed and being emotional at that part because i seriously felt like they were singing to me and i thought they understood what i was going through, and while i was feeling that i had a chill down my spine when it was almost like they answered me with "well i knooooooooow". so good

What a great description of Have you ever! They asking questions and then understans you, "well I know". My favorite part is the second verse:

"Have you ever been at some place recognizing everybody's face until you realized that there was no one there you knew?"

and

"Have you ever buried your face in your hands cause no one around you understands or has the slightest idea what it is that makes you be?"

"Well I know"

That's comforting:)

Microwave Jellyfish
06-15-2012, 07:52 AM
OMG yeah, every single person can relate to Have You Ever, such awesome lyrics.

Some stuff I can think of right now:

Damnit, I Changed Again: the last chorus

Defy You: Dexter's whoooooaaaa before the chorus kicks in (I think it's only on the single/music video version though)

The transition between Have You Ever and Staring At the Sun

The Noose: the "Well our" parts and the last lines in the second verse: ...and blow the candles out, whoa! Gives me chills every time :)

findout5
06-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Here's a few musical bits that come to my mind (in disco-graphical order):

- The guitar intro to Dirty Magic;
- The breakdown in Smash (using 3rds instead of 5ths);
- The lick on My and My Old Lady;
- All of Pay The Man (my life is for me oh oh oh.);
- Denial Revisited's drumming;
- The 3 part vocal harmony at the end of A Lot Like Me;
- Nothingtown's basslines and Noodles rockabilly solo.

06-15-2012, 01:14 PM
"And if they could just teach my dark heart to feel" from "Lightning Rod". Not the lyrics themselves (they're a little dramatic for my tastes) but Dexter's delivery and the accompanying music. It's wonderful.

Tijs
06-15-2012, 02:32 PM
In 'I Choose':

The part that begins with "Now if I wasn't such a weenie.." where Dexter just sings over the bass and drums, and the guitar kicks in again. Pure joy.

And "Shopping sprees, RPG's, ecstasy..."

Camila
06-15-2012, 04:03 PM
- The intro of Gotta Get Away and also the "Whoa oh oh" part followed by the chorus.

- Definitely the transition from Never Gonna Find me and Lightning Rod; for me one cannot be played without the other. It's the Offspring's masterpiece.

- The intro of Kill the President and LAPD.

Mission from God
06-16-2012, 03:47 AM
My favorite is Living In Chaos: "Got a song song, man it goes like this!" :cool:

Degstur Lolland
06-16-2012, 08:25 AM
My favorite is Living In Chaos: "Got a song song, man it goes like this!" :cool:
We had a thread about it or something, but it's "Got my own psalm, (man or and) it goes like this". Maybe even Dexter posted it.

Tijs
06-16-2012, 08:32 AM
We had a thread about it or something, but it's "Got my own psalm, (man or and) it goes like this". Maybe even Dexter posted it.

Yeah he did, he said it was "Got a lil' something something and it goes like this"

edit:

Most creative answer:

"Got his own psalm and it goes like this"

Guys, I appreciate your attention to detail!

The actual line is

Got a little sum'n sum'n and it goes like this!

Degstur Lolland
06-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Oh, I remember the wrong one. Good job.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-16-2012, 12:07 PM
- The intro of Gotta Get Away and also the "Whoa oh oh" part followed by the chorus.

I completely forgot to include this in my list. I love that part.

Mission from God
06-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Yeah he did, he said it was "Got a lil' something something and it goes like this"

edit:

Thanks for the correction :)

06-17-2012, 03:38 AM
"I would be patient, but it takes so long" from "Forever and a Day". Great melodic turn.

GamerKT
06-17-2012, 03:50 AM
The pre-choruses from Amazed. The "yeah" mixed with the guitar sounds so good.

samseby
06-17-2012, 04:16 AM
Hammerhead - intro :)
Head around you - 1:19 - 1:32 :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiwwhLYAvWA&feature=relmfu

GamerKT
06-17-2012, 04:26 AM
Hammerhead - intro :)
Head around you - 1:19 - 1:32 :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiwwhLYAvWA&feature=relmfu

Really? I love the part right after that.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

Mr.Nobody
06-17-2012, 06:07 AM
I love two parts of songs in splinter:
- The part in Race against myself "I run as fast as I can Run/I pushed as hard as anyone"
-The "OOOhhhhh, oooohhhh, ooohhh/Never gonna find me" at the end of Never gonna find me (Obviously :D)

Titus
06-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Fun thing about this thread is that we all have different favorite songs, but we all seem to agree on our favorite parts on mostly of their songs!

If I could pick only one favorite part it would be No hero, from 1:35 to 2:27.
There are like 30 differents parts that I always go back and listen to them again!

Unnatural Disaster
06-17-2012, 08:53 AM
I love the part in "I Choose" where he says - If words were wisdom I'd be talking even more.

"Have You Ever" - The truth about the world is the crime does pay.

"Burn It Up" - Tonight there's gonna be a pyre. We're gonna set your house on fire. and I'm gonna make a tiki torch. I'm gonna throw it on your porch. Just ridiculous lyrics, but so awesome at the same time!

"Cool To Hate" - I don't like nothing and I like that fine.

Britpunk
06-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Will you ever wonder/If the man that's in your sights/Ever kissed his girl goodbye.

Once I found a love I had to know/Now we might know each other just too well/ Cause when we're together we just can't enough/Or is it we just can't get what we want?

The Blurb/Smash Outro/Change the World drum beat

The awesome guitar solos on the pre-S/T tracks.

Too many others.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Really? I love the part right after that.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH
I know. It's hard not to sing along for that part.

bighead384
06-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Right when Ron starts hitting the crash cymbal at the end of Million Miles Away.

Mission from God
06-18-2012, 02:39 AM
I also like Stuff Is Messed Up: "So please leave a message on my cell phone" :)

GamerKT
06-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Well, I've got a new one. In The Future Is Now, at around 2:27, when Dexter sings "the future is nooooooooooooow." When the drums kick in, Dexter's voice seems to shake (I know there's a better word, but I can't think of one right now) or something, like the drums are actually affecting his voice. I know it's an effect, but it's damn cool.

KyleW
06-20-2012, 12:36 AM
New Dirty Magic, 22 seconds in the two drum hits then the slide and the second guitar kicks in. The smile on my face was so big when that hit. Also the 'woaaahhh's' at the start of the chorus. Adds a new dimension to it without overdoing it. Perfect.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Turning Into You at around 2:35-2:50 when it goes to the quiet part and transitions back into the chorus. I love that!

offspringiztheshit
06-20-2012, 10:19 AM
definatly the pre-chorus in hurting as one.

Krojd
06-20-2012, 12:47 PM
This is the future, the future is nooooo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-w-w-w

XYlophonetreeZ
06-24-2012, 11:53 AM
I love how the first two verses in "Dividing By Zero" are completely different from each other, and then the third verse is composed of half of each of the first two.

Mechagodzilla2
06-24-2012, 01:39 PM
"We could torch a car or two"
One Fine Day

Coming_out_to_play
06-24-2012, 03:46 PM
2:35 in Secrets From the Underground. Just an epic drop into the final chorus.

Jason_Voorhees
06-24-2012, 04:05 PM
One of my all time favorite parts is in Half-Truism.

"The cuts in your heart, they show in your eyes" I love how his voice goes up when he sings "eyes"

Godxilla
06-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Any time they say 'whoa'
The solo in 'what happened to you'
The verses in 'million miles away'
'I believe it's my godgiven right to destroy everything in my sight'
'You disrespectin' me? Take 'im out!'
Lightning Rod riff
'Hoozhashaka hoozhashaka' from Special Delivery

The Search Button
06-25-2012, 02:58 AM
Try one out on your neighbor's car.

offspringfan01
06-25-2012, 11:22 AM
The ''Ooh wow wow wow'' part in I Choose

XYlophonetreeZ
06-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Try one out on your neighbor's car.

They have 3 different songs that in some way mention setting cars aflame. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's ever noticed this.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
They have 3 different songs that in some way mention setting cars aflame. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's ever noticed this.
You're not.