PDA

View Full Version : Vocalist equipment

TheNooseIsFalling
06-14-2012, 08:40 AM
I started singing very recently, and I have absolutely no idea where to start with gear. Basically, the band I'm in right now (strictly as a guitarist) is kind of falling apart because we can't find a drummer who's good enough (etc., etc.), so the bassist and I decided that we're gonna start a more punk oriented band because we love that stuff too and it doesn't require that much skill, thus came the idea of me taking over the mic. Apart from the personal problem that I don't know how to tell the singer, who's also a friend, that we should call it quits and that he's not gonna be in this new band (because we don't really need him and he has another band anyway), we have a place to rehearse but I don't have a mic or a speaker and I don't even know basically anything about that stuff, not to mention I'm on a limited budget right now. So, anyone know a cheap way (something DIY, maybe) how I could get started with my gear? Thanks in advance.

coke_a_holic
06-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Here's everything you need for live vocals: PA (mixing board), microphone, XLR cables (one connects mic to PA, one from PA to speakers), and speakers.

It's gonna cost you a bit: you're looking at probably about $100 for a decent microphone (I use a Shure SM-58, it's an industry standard, nothing too crazy), $30 for the XLR cables, and then the PA is all dependent on what you want. My band and I shelled out a total of $700 for the PA system (two $300 Mackie Thump power amps, $100 Peavey PA). You could get a decent PA system for about $300 if you wanted to, it just might not get loud enough for you.

But please do it... I'm sick of lending my personal mic out to bands who can afford $2000 guitar rigs, but can't seem to find the time to buy a $100 microphone.

killboybowerhead
06-14-2012, 12:22 PM
When I started singing this is what I wish I knew right away interns of gear. The best semi affordable mics for punk singing are definitely the shure sm58 and the audix om-2. Audix is much more directional, meaning you have to really put it straight towards your singing.. shure pics up on the sides.. Shure beta 58 is the best mic I have owned. Audix om-2 I think are better than the regular 58s.. but like i said its directional.. which is nice because less feedback and your vocals really cut through the monitor. With the beta its the best of both worlds.. ebay.. 70 bucks.
Get garageband or something if you have a mac and just keep practicing recording your vocals after you write the songs.. I find it tough to write in front of a mic.. But thats the best advice to sound good. Interms of pas.. Just get one that works.. If you're one vocalist and its just for practice. Mic is gonna count a lot. Id chince on everything else but get the mic and bring it everywhere you go.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-16-2012, 03:55 AM
Thank you guys!
So I'm looking at about a thousand bucks. I guess I better get a job.

Little_Miss_1565
06-16-2012, 03:11 PM
For rehearsals, a lot of practice spaces have PAs already. I never had to have my own PA -- just a mic and whatever guitar or bass gear I was using at the time.

mrconeman
06-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Yeah, only one band I've ever been in has had it's own P.A. It was *very* advantageous because we could practice for free at the singers house and thus we practiced most days out of the week, but any other bands I've been in just rented practice spaces once or twice a week.

Even gigging most places have all that stuff, you just need to bring your own instrument gear usually.

Manic subsidal
06-17-2012, 08:30 AM
So, anyone know a cheap way (something DIY, maybe) how I could get started with my gear? Thanks in advance.

Keyboard amp for vocals