PDA

View Full Version : Linkin Park - Living Things

Degstur Lolland
06-16-2012, 07:57 AM
It's out. It's 20th for Russia and 21st for Japan, then lots of countries on 22nd. Damn offspring, but I expected 17-19th. :d

Sounds great so far. Seems to be a good album.

dff_punk
06-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Listening to it now, actually expected it to be worse. Castle Of Glass has a really good melodic chorus, the type that I like. Although I could do with a little less electronic arrangements and weird breakdowns that are not that much LP to me, the album has got a sense of melody, It's definitely better than the atrocity that was called A Thousand Suns.

...but I'm sure Days Go By will be much better, just leak the goddamn thing already!

Degstur Lolland
06-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Yeah, Castle Of Glass, I loved that one. I could listen to the album over and over.

ATS was experimental and now they have gone a bit back, but still you can see the last 2 albums on it a little bit--something like What I've Done and then some quick political intro.

There is also a good screaming on the record.

Still haven't picked the key tracks...

TheJakes84
06-16-2012, 12:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdYcQ_k0zyE

TheNooseIsFalling
06-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Listening to the first song right now. I loved Burn It Down and this is kinda what I expected. If this is the new/old LP then bring it on!
EDIT: Holy shit did they impress me. This is easily their best album since Hybrid Theory. I'll Be Gone RULES!

Degstur Lolland
06-17-2012, 08:38 AM
The first one Lost in the Echo reminds me of AFI. Both, music and vocals.

ThunderPX
06-17-2012, 09:07 AM
I gave it a listen... kind of bland, but probably their most cohesive album since HT for what it's worth.

And yeah, the first track sounds like AFI.

Degstur Lolland
06-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Not sure if bland. It's pretty interesting, lots of precious and fascinating sounds. It's very accessible and maybe I wish it was more expansive, they don't go above 4 minutes per song. The front cover reminds me of Splinter. It flows well with just enough of variety. They have it all calculated.

Llamas
06-17-2012, 10:08 AM
I liked A Thousand Suns - was so much better than Minutes to Midnight (awful album). Living Things sounds very much like A Thousand Suns. It's every bit as experimental, but they've tried some new stuff here even.

I like Linkin Park a lot more since they changed, honestly. I like Hybrid Theory and Meteora as novelties - catchy, ridiculously immature songs that are fun to rock out to. MTM was awful and I removed it from my computer ages ago. A Thousand Suns is my favorite LP album, though, and this one could vie for that title. What I like about this one is that you don't have to listen to it from beginning to end. I mean, I loved how ambitious and conceptual ATS was, but with all the segue tracks and such, it's really hard to just listen to the songs on their own. This album breaks up better. But ATS definitely had a much better album flow. I love how that album peaks with Waiting For the End/Blackout/Wretches and Kings.

ThunderPX
06-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Not sure if bland. It's pretty interesting, lots of precious and fascinating sounds. It's very accessible and maybe I wish it was more expansive, they don't go above 4 minutes per song. The front cover reminds me of Splinter. It flows well with just enough of variety. They have it all calculated.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the soundscape is pretty cool. The vocals aren't interesting at all, though. Chester Bennington is more grating than ever since he barely gets any good hooks and every Mike Shinoda rap since M2M sounds exactly the same. That's what really turns me off; the instrumentation is great and I do have to applaud the band for getting a sound this solid.

Eskimo
06-18-2012, 02:29 AM
Their post-Meteora stuff is really weird to me, it somehow doesn't feel "right". :P

Like, they're one of those bands to me who admittedly suck, but I wish they kept on sucking. It's kind of just what I associate with them, early-2000s angsty bullshit screaming and suburban white kid depression.

I guess it's similar to how I feel about Green Day doing the political stuff. I always liked Green Day, fun melodic stuff, and I don't mind politics in bands. Green Day to me just has no place doing it, it's impossible to take seriously.

Like, Linkin aren't Linkin to me if they're not ridiculously cheesy yelling dudes with dyed hair and hiphop clothes, makin' millions off pissed off 8th grade boys.

Tomo
06-20-2012, 05:37 AM
I honestly think Living Things is Linkin Park's second best album ever, right after Hybrid Theory. I've been listening to it since the leak for three days now non-stop and I just can't believe just how good it is! Especially after that awful abomination called A Thousand Suns. I definitely reccomend songs Lost in the Echo, Burn It Down, I'll Be Gone, Castle of Glass... Lost in the Echo actually made me pre-oder the damned album and that says a lot!

Llamas
06-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Their post-Meteora stuff is really weird to me, it somehow doesn't feel "right". :P

Like, they're one of those bands to me who admittedly suck, but I wish they kept on sucking. It's kind of just what I associate with them, early-2000s angsty bullshit screaming and suburban white kid depression.

I guess it's similar to how I feel about Green Day doing the political stuff. I always liked Green Day, fun melodic stuff, and I don't mind politics in bands. Green Day to me just has no place doing it, it's impossible to take seriously.

Like, Linkin aren't Linkin to me if they're not ridiculously cheesy yelling dudes with dyed hair and hiphop clothes, makin' millions off pissed off 8th grade boys.

I totally see your point, but unlike Green Day, I think Linkin Park does a pretty bang-up job of doing this deeper, more complex shit. I dunno, maybe it's simply because they don't act nearly as arrogant or obnoxious about how great they are? But I also think A Thousand Suns was a better concept than American Idiot, and the album flowed better. Living Things is also a thousand times better than 21st Century Breakdown. But I do see your point... I kinda miss the cheesy, shitty LP ;)

Eskimo
06-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Admittedly, I've only heard their album immediately after Meteora and nothing since aside from those Transformers movie sequels which were overplayed to the point of wanting to punch kittens in their throats.

It's not that they're bad now or anything, or, well...worse. It'd just be like Sum 41 completely morphing into a hiphop band or something. Weirdness.

Llamas
06-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Admittedly, I've only heard their album immediately after Meteora and nothing since aside from those Transformers movie sequels which were overplayed to the point of wanting to punch kittens in their throats.

It's not that they're bad now or anything, or, well...worse. It'd just be like Sum 41 completely morphing into a hiphop band or something. Weirdness.

That album (I think it's called "Minutes to Midnight") was HORRIBLE and it's the only LP album that's not on my computer. That crap is so bland and generic, I can't stand it. But like Splinter was for the Offspring, I think it was their necessary first big step toward something pretty cool. Big change in sound and style, didn't work out too well, but led to some rather awesome stuff.

0r4ng3
06-22-2012, 09:22 AM
I didn't think that album was so bad. I liked In Pieces, and probably a couple of others.

NoGuessing
06-22-2012, 05:38 PM
I liked MtM way more than that rap rock misery lyrics stuff.

Defender
06-24-2012, 12:11 PM
As I have said in another thread "Living Things" is their best album since "Meteora". Of course they could have made it better but it's actually better than "Minutes to midnight" and the horrible "A thousand suns".

Omni
06-24-2012, 02:23 PM
I liked all of the singles on Minutes to Midnight, but I didn't listen any deeper. The only album of theirs I actually own is Meteora. I think musically and especially vocally, Linkin Park is a pretty damn good band. Their lyrics are usually just horrible. In fact, I think their lyrics are really the only skill of the band to ever truly come into question. Rock-rap/Nu metal/what have you is not inherently crappy or something, it can be done right. If they wanted to truly improve, I think the songwriting is the only question mark.

Omni
06-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Er, the lyrics* are the only question mark.Not the songwriting in general. Sorry, I still can't edit my psts for some reason.

Eskimo
06-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Shinoda and Mistah Hahnz are really the only guys in the band worth a damn. The rest are just run of the mill nu-metal dudes.

MillionMiles
06-25-2012, 02:38 PM
I dunno, I dont like Living things at all. Burn it Down had me excited, loved the sound of it, had sounds of vintage LP, Chester sounds great, but the rest to me is a disapointment. MTM grew on me, Given Up, Bleed it out and In Pieces were pretty good of that album...A thousand Suns was just plain horrible...

_Way_Down_the_Line_
06-26-2012, 08:55 AM
The album has some boring ass songs, but I save from it this:

I liked Lost in the Echoes, I''l be gone, Victimized, Lies Greed Misery and In my Remains, even though the I don't like the slow songs they have gotten on me somehow..

skrillex
07-02-2012, 11:02 PM
How much is Mike on the album? I hate Minutes to Midnight with the exception of Bleed it Out (I know he was on one other song but Bleed it Out just dwarfs that shit). He makes every song he's in and I wouldn't care for Hybrid Theory or Meteora anywhere near as much without him. I just skimmed Burn it Down and he had four bars. FOUR BARS. What the fuck is that shit?

0r4ng3
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Mike has a lot more presence on this album. At least three songs (Lost In The Echo, Lies Greed Misery, and Until It Breaks) he's doing entire verses. I know there's a few more but my memory's a bit fuzzy. He's also getting pretty good at background singing vocals on a few too (In My Remains and Castle of Glass, for example)

TMDGJ
07-04-2012, 10:24 PM
This band is dead to me.

I listened to this album because of one reviewer said they went back to their roots, but that was not true at all.

Why the hell are LP sounding like a techno band, there are more synthesizers than guitars nowadays.

Minutes to midnight was experimental but still good, then things just got too far. Just my opinion of course.

Eskimo
07-05-2012, 09:49 AM
'Cause, like, Linkin fuckin' Park have always been a traditional guitars-bass-and-drums band and everything.

They've always had a shitload of electronics, at least on their earlier stuff. Hardly some new angle they're taking.

Forza
07-08-2012, 04:27 AM
This band is dead to me.

I listened to this album because of one reviewer said they went back to their roots, but that was not true at all.

Even their 'roots' have become boring to me. It's really hard to connect to this type of music when you're growing older. Can't believe how I ever was a fan of Linkin Park, it's unbearable now.