PDA

View Full Version : Dividing by Zero + Slim Pickens

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 08:18 AM
That "journalist" was talking shit! The songs blend perfectly into each other, even better than the "flow into" songs from before like Have You Ever + Staring At The Sun and Never Gonna Find Me + Lightning Rod. In fact, I'd rather these songs would be released as just one, but I think for marketing reasons (11 songs as opposed to 12) they had to split them.
Anyway, DGB has one of the strongest finishers of any Offspring album and I'm soooo glad and relieved about that. These songs are the definition of EPIC. It's true, I checked it out in a Dictionary:

EPIC:
ep·ic
   [ep-ik] Show IPA

adjective Also, ep·i·cal.
noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.

resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.

Days Go By album finisher combo: Dividing By Zero and Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell

Youtube link for those that have not heard it yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lvM30oTm3Y

Llamas
06-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Dividing By Zero sounds like it could've been on ST. Holy. Shit. My excitement for this album just doubled. This pretty much makes up for CC and DGB being crappy songs. STOKED FOR THIS ALBUM.

Slim Pickens reminds me of DUI. So awesome.

holland25
06-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Holy motherfucking shit. Those songs are fucking great.

effreyj
06-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Yeah these songs are awesome. I'm glad the album finishes strongly, unlike RFRG.

On a side note, is dexter saying "Dance Fucker Dance" in slim pickins?

ppronni
06-18-2012, 08:27 AM
I agree with you, the songs are EPIC. They sound better than almost anything the band has released in the last 3 albums, what makes DGB my favorite album ending so far, way better than Americana + Pay the Man. Combined with The Future is Now it seems that the 4 years wait has been worth it.

Now I hope the rest of the album won't disappoint. I don't expect more punk rock anthems (maybe Secrets from the Underground could be close to that) but at least no more CC or joke songs everywhere.

Dirty Magic
06-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Completely agree with you. I have a feeling this album will be their best work since Americana (strong words, I know). I can't wait to hear the rest of it.

DMelges
06-18-2012, 08:29 AM
YES! These songs are really great. Surely will shut up all ye unfaithful who got mad about CC.

Microwave Jellyfish
06-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Days Go By album finisher combo: Dividing By Zero and Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell
Yep, I've got a feeling it's going to make it up for RAFRAG's closing. Aaaah, fuck yes! This is The Offspring we love! :eek:

Right now my excitement for this album has jumped so high it trashed my fucking roof into splinters, cold British rain is pouring down on me, computer's getting all wet, I see sparkles, but I cannot stop listening to it, I ca

Dexter_italy
06-18-2012, 08:34 AM
I was so stoked yesterday! this is such a great memory with such great songs!!

DMelges
06-18-2012, 08:39 AM
into splinters,

I see what you did there.

You know, what get's me really excited is that there are always songs on the upcoming album that gets no propaganda at all, but turn out to be one of the best songs ever, ie. Lightning Rod, Have You Ever and etc.

So right now we have Divide and Slim Pickens and Future Is Now which we know will blow us away, but we still have all the other secrets of the album awaiting.

Damn there is one little part of Divide By Zero that I fell in love with, right after the guitar solo when Dexter sings alone for 3 seconds. Epic.

Greekoldfan
06-18-2012, 08:40 AM
I agree with you, the songs are EPIC. They sound better than almost anything the band has released in the last 3 albums, what makes DGB my favorite album ending so far, way better than Americana + Pay the Man. Combined with The Future is Now it seems that the 4 years wait has been worth it.

Now I hope the rest of the album won't disappoint. I don't expect more punk rock anthems (maybe Secrets from the Underground could be close to that) but at least no more CC or joke songs everywhere.

hurting as one is also a pure punk song...

samseby
06-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Nice :) Like them both.

The guitar solo of DBZ? Anyone?

dff_punk
06-18-2012, 08:45 AM
secrets of the album awaiting.

Still didn't listen to it. Fuck you all! My ejaculation tomorrow will be better!

jsmak84
06-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Poetry and energy come together .....

These two tracks make me crazy, the more I listen to them and love them most.

I look forward to hearing how they sound on the disc

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Alright, so far we've heard
1- The Future Is Now
2-
3- Days Go By
4-
5-
6- Cruisin' California
7-
8-
9-
10-
11- Dividing By Zero
12- Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell

So, that makes 3 awesome punk rock songs, a great rockin tune and a pop gem (for me, anyway). Shit just keeps getting better and better!

Llamas
06-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Alright, so far we've heard
1- The Future Is Now
2-
3- Days Go By
4-
5-
6- Cruisin' California
7-
8-
9-
10-
11- Dividing By Zero
12- Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell

So, that makes 3 awesome punk rock songs, a great rockin tune and a pop gem (for me, anyway). Shit just keeps getting better and better!

We've heard Dirty Magic, too. The album version of DM will surely be about as different from what we've heard, as the album versions of TFIN, DBZ and Slim Pickens will be different from what we've heard. So we've heard half the album. Just a few days left til we get the other half!

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 09:00 AM
I have not heard the new dirty magic. would someone be kind and share the link?

jsmak84
06-18-2012, 09:01 AM

:D yea ye ya . I aGree

Llamas
06-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Read my post again ;) We've heard Dirty Magic just as much as we've heard TFIN, DBZ, and Slim Pickens - as in, we've heard the song, but we haven't heard the exact studio version that will be on the album. The only two songs we've truly heard as they will be are CC and DGB.

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 09:04 AM
ah, that doesn't count. I've seen some people say that they heard the new dirty magic live and it's "punchier" and "ballsier". so yeah, as far as I'm concerned, I have yet to hear it.

Llamas
06-18-2012, 09:11 AM
I also expect the live songs we've heard to kick way more ass on the record, too... like Half Truism was way different on the record than in the first live videos we saw. But we know what kind of song DM is - it's not a silly pop tune, it's not a stadium rocker, it's not a joke... it's a slow-tempo grunge-punk bit. We pretty much all know that we're gonna like DM, and we know what to generally expect from it, save for a few changes.

paul
06-18-2012, 09:26 AM
all new songs i have heard are great. especially slim pickens :cool:

mat.kc.
06-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Oh my god. Dividing by Zero and Slim Pickens sound phenomenal live! Holy crap! I'm pretty shocked to be honest. This makes me even more excited to hear an album we've all been waiting four years for. :eek:

There's a few lines in Slim Pickens..."dance fucker dance, let the mother fucker burn"! Awesome!

Dragnet
06-18-2012, 09:31 AM
I just noticed Dexter has like ten sheets of paper with lyrics lying in front of him. I don't blame him, he has LOTS of words to remember.

Cool songs by the way.

DMelges
06-18-2012, 09:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lvM30oTm3Y&feature=youtu.be

This video is even better! No pete though...

DMelges
06-18-2012, 09:38 AM
There's a few lines in Slim Pickens..."dance fucker dance, let the mother fucker burn"! Awesome!

THIS THIS THIS! So fucking epic!

Dragnet
06-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Does anyone understand what Dexter is singing in the chorus of DBZ?

DMelges
06-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Divide By Zero

Come take me higher
All the way to the sun
Down to the wire
The fight's only begun

It's closing in on you, closing in on you

Gonna make it through, gonna make it through
Divide by zero like a wrecking crew

that's all I understood

Dexter_italy
06-18-2012, 09:49 AM

no song is called dbz..... there's dividing by zero, /0 or db0 ... as it has already been said...leave dragonball alone :D

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 09:59 AM
no song is called dbz..... there's dividing by zero, /0 or db0 ... as it has already been said...leave dragonball alone :D

yes, please, dbz fucking sucks while divide by zero fucking shines

these songs already are in The Offspring's hall of best songs ever... but if they were released as a single song it'd contend with TKAA, Gone Away, YGGFK, Lightning Rod and Dirty Magic as Offspring's greatest achievement in music. it's a shame they're divided in two, really.

offspringiztheshit
06-18-2012, 10:04 AM
HOLY FUCK. SLIM PICKINS IS TIGHT AS FUCK. so fucking good. sorry for al the cursing its just so damn good

offspringiztheshit
06-18-2012, 10:06 AM
does anyone have lyrics?

Lupin
06-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Holy shit balls, that's an incendary finish to an album...am like the balls to the walls power the band are kicking out. It's the musical equivelent of the four horsemen of the apocalyspe...and they're late for armageddon!!!
Touch over the top in my single line review, but yeah, some fucking awesome sounds right there!!

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Dexter, post the lyrics, pretty please?

DMelges
06-18-2012, 10:09 AM
shame they're divided in two, really.

It's really a shame that it's more the music industry that choose the singles, and not the band themselves. Dividing By Zero or Slim Pickens as a single would be fucking amazing. Screw the little girls who don't think it's pop enough.

Releasing one of these songs as the single would've avoided the CC scandal.

tylercosgrove1989
06-18-2012, 10:16 AM
I didn't see this coming. Did any of you see this coming? This is the best thing they have done in a long time. I hope they play both songs together like this every time they perform them live.

wrc307
06-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Nice combo, very strong chord progression. And both songs are very simple, i mean they dont sounds over-worked
Cool stuff

Rafa88offspring
06-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Oh... I'm so fucking happy! :') My faith in this new album is completely restored, these songs kick soooooo much ass. I have goosebumps. <3

killboybowerhead
06-18-2012, 10:23 AM

I think it's something like

Lean on you and I'll lean on you
Fight by fire well make it through
Pull me out

Second time is dividing by zero like a wrecking crew

brothadave79
06-18-2012, 10:25 AM
I think it's something like

Fight by fire well make it through
Pull me out

Second time is dividing by zero like a wrecking crew

Sounds more like "It's closing in on you" not "lean on you." And "Gonna make it through, gonna make it through" in the second half of the chorus.

Degstur Lolland
06-18-2012, 10:28 AM
DBZ:
- Bloodstains
- Viva Death's Broken Nose riffs from side to side or I Got Right. Maybe, Take It Like a Man. Similar to The Meaning of Life.
- the solo I'm not sure, it's like Tehran background and the solo from S/T or first three albums.

Slim Pickens:
- Gotta Get Away/Bad Religion or is it Pennywise's song where they sing can't believe, Alien? Probably influenced by BR too.
- maybe a bit of Head Around You
- Dance Fucker Dance

But, there is also something new in them, can't wait to hear them on the CD. Vocals seems to be cool too. Cool DBZ intro, friggin' freight train.

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 10:30 AM
and i think it's "no way out" ibstead of pull me out.

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 10:41 AM
i can hear a bit of pennywise's alien in slim pickens, yes.

keonii7
06-18-2012, 10:48 AM
That was.... amazing.

I mean, Dividing By Zero is REALLY GOOD. Just like old times.

Thank you, Offspring.

GamerKT
06-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Slim Pickens reminds me of DUI. So awesome.

That would make sense because Noodles mentioned on Twitter that a song would sound like DUI.

Biggest offspring fan
06-18-2012, 10:57 AM
This is, legen..wait for it..dary!

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 11:11 AM
alright, after listening to it 50 times, the song sounds a bit like aliens the same way tfin sounds like saviour. no prob.

Degstur Lolland
06-18-2012, 11:15 AM
We had those epic ending polls. I'd put them quite high, but I'm not sure they can ever beat Americana/Ixnay/Smash for me.

I'm sure people will love them more than Splinter or RFRG ending.

I'd compare them to Never Gonna Find Me/Lightning Rod. Well connected songs, but they stand on its own with own guitar solos or music.

killboybowerhead
06-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Yea I was way off on those lyrics.. was listening on my iPhone. Slim pickens doesn't remind me of alien. Not starting a debate here it doesn't sound technically similar to Zero Down, but it reminded me of a really great band I had forgotten of.

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 11:27 AM
We had those epic ending polls. I'd put them quite high, but I'm not sure they can ever beat Americana/Ixnay/Smash for me.

I'm sure people will love them more than Splinter or RFRG ending.

I'd compare them to Never Gonna Find Me/Lightning Rod. Well connected songs, but they stand on its own with own guitar solos or music.

only none of them sound fillerish at all *cough* nevergonnafindme *cough*

GamerKT
06-18-2012, 11:30 AM
alright, after listening to it 50 times, the song sounds a bit like aliens the same way tfin sounds like saviour. no prob.

No. Don't start with that shit.

keithur
06-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Both songs are great, but I like "Slim Pickens" much more. It has so many awesome parts. Though it kind of reminds me of Bad Religion's "Infected". Can't wait to check out the album version!

DMelges
06-18-2012, 11:32 AM
How would you guy describe the sound of these new songs? Mix between Americana and RFRG maybe.

Funny how CC and Days Go By really don't fit in with these huh? But that's okay, I actually enjoy seeing the band try diferent things, but having them come back to their roots like this is always best.

tylercosgrove1989
06-18-2012, 11:36 AM
How would you guy describe the sound of these new songs? Mix between Americana and RFRG maybe.

Funny how CC and Days Go By really don't fit in with these huh? But that's okay, I actually enjoy seeing the band try diferent things, but having them come back to their roots like this is always best.

Thankfully, they sound nothing like anything from RAFRAG to me.

Biggest offspring fan
06-18-2012, 11:37 AM
I just noticed Dexter has like ten sheets of paper with lyrics lying in front of him. I don't blame him, he has LOTS of words to remember.

Looks more like one sheet taped too the floor, noodles has one too. Probably a setlist.

cool 2 hate 681
06-18-2012, 11:40 AM
wow thanks

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I'd say /0 sounds like a S/T song and spdtrtartbth sounds like an americana song.

Rafa88offspring
06-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Both songs are great, but I like "Slim Pickens" much more. It has so many awesome parts. Though it kind of reminds me of Bad Religion's "Infected". Can't wait to check out the album version!

It does have an Infected kind of vibe in the chorus, but it's no detraction for me. It's just Offspringy Bad Religionlike punk, it's bound to sound similar to something.

keonii7
06-18-2012, 11:52 AM
They both sound Americana to me, which is a fantastic thing.

The transition kinda reminds me of the end part of Have You Ever.

samseby
Not sure which one I prefer ... will have to listen again & again & again :)

Dexter_italy
Looks more like one sheet taped too the floor, noodles has one too. Probably a setlist.

you obviously didn't notice the whole set of papers behind the monitors :) he has the first lines of the ignition songs, and probably of nitro\ meaning of life, /0 and slim pickens

TheJakes84
06-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Thank you, TeddyBear_Army. That was great what ya did there.

brothadave79
Sounds more like "It's closing in on you" not "lean on you." And "Gonna make it through, gonna make it through" in the second half of the chorus.

Gonna make it through
Gonna make it through
Divide by Zero like a wrecking crew

samseby
I'd say /0 sounds like a S/T song

Agreed ;).

The Search Button
06-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Noodles totally messed up the ending of Slim Pickens solo.

He's all like: :o

psimate
06-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Finally, this is The Offspring I love. I have that strange feeling in my stomach while I am listening to these songs. I hope you feel the same. :cool:

brothadave79
06-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Beginning of Dividing by Zero reminds me a lot of Tehran. Except Db0 is a lot better in my opinion.

samseby
06-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Same for the guitar solo ... So it's not just me ;)

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Same for the guitar solo ... So it's not just me ;)

yep, pretty much.

Ansem
06-18-2012, 12:55 PM
There were definitely lyrics sheets aswel. I'm sure there was one for The Meaning of Life, but for some other songs too.
I can see why since there are many songs this tour. Different songs each clubgig and their festival set has a lot of other songs too.

manu85xxx
06-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Fantastic songs.

I knew the Off by americana's pretty fly, falling in love for Have you ever and staring at the sun having the cd.

Now i got the same sensation that i had when i was 12.Great!

Just great.

RonWelty
06-18-2012, 01:48 PM
I love both but I'm more of a slim pickens kind of fan

Unnatural Disaster
06-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Both songs were amazing, but I think I liked Slim Pickens better.

Britpunk
06-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Crikey. Those are fantastic. Thanks uploaders!

cool 2 hate 681
06-18-2012, 02:56 PM
I love both but I'm more of a slim pickens kind of fan

Both songs were amazing, but I think I liked Slim Pickens better.

same here:)

the hitcher
06-18-2012, 02:57 PM
excelent songs this albums gonna be excelent:cool:

enyone notice that deviding by zero is a bit like theran/bagdad

NoGuessing
06-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah just came in to post that I thought about it overnight and the /0 intro is a very similar riff to Tehran.

Except it's way better (I don't like Tehran much).

PetePirata
06-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Song Rate
1 - Days Go By 7,5
2 - The Future Is Now 8
3 - Cruising California 6
4 - Dividing by Zero 9
5 - Slim Pickens 9
-------------------------
Mean = 8,0

cool 2 hate 681
06-18-2012, 03:13 PM
i can't rate them until i hear the studio versions

disclaimer_07
06-18-2012, 03:15 PM
excelent songs this albums gonna be excelent:cool:

enyone notice that deviding by zero is a bit like theran/bagdad

The verse kinda made me think of the breakdown in A Thousand Days ("forever we've been trapped by our hearts...") and the solo too.

Awesome songs. :)

PetePirata
06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
i can't rate them until i hear the studio versions

I'm sure after I hear the studio versions the rate will increase.

Slim Pickens itīs a brilliant song!
And Dividing By Zero explain why i love Offspring!

KHWHD
06-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Love them! Can't wait till the release!! :cool:

randman21
06-18-2012, 03:46 PM
I wasn't too moved on the first listen. But I'm listening again now, and I'm PUMPED. What's the first one, Slim Pickens? That one's pretty damn good, but Dividing by Zero is faaaaantastic. That chorus is just awesome. Gonna listen again. Very interesting melodies in both.

It's exactly what I've been expecting based on Noodles's description of the album, way back on Loveline in 2010. Whenever someone talks about the album, someone says "that's what they always say/don't get your hopes up". Wrong! It's Offspring, but it's modern. As rocking as anything from any album. Just like they said.

Btw, what part of Tehran does Slim Pickens sound like? I'm not hearing it at all. Oh, wait. I hear it now, but that riff is common when you're going with that Eastern kind of thing. Sounds more like a part in Pay the Man to me.

DMelges
06-18-2012, 03:51 PM
I wasn't too moved on the first listen. But I'm listening again now, and I'm PUMPED. What's the first one, Slim Pickens?

Dude the first one is Dividing by Zero, and the second one is Slim Pickens.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-18-2012, 03:55 PM
With /0 I hear S/T, Ixnay, and Americana. And the woes during the chorus remind me of Forever and A Day. Actually, maybe this song is just classic Offspring

With Slim Pickins Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell sounds like Gotta Get Away/Americana, and some Bad Religion influence. But it doesn't matter because all punk is BOUND to sound similar.

randman21
06-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Dude the first one is Dividing by Zero, and the second one is Slim Pickens.

Summa bitch. Haha. Thanks. I don't listen to lyrics, so I was bound to mess that one up.

pieniol(PL)
06-18-2012, 04:02 PM
I've just heard those songs and they're sooo amazing to me! And the other great news is that Dexter's voice sound just perfect:D Can't wait for te new album!

Titus
06-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Bah, I didnīt resist and had to listen... been listening at work for like 4 hours o.o.
Loved both! Slim pickens surprised me and I think it is a little better than dividing by zero, just a little! And it reminds me of Gotta get away! People please donīt call dividing by zero as DBZ! DBZ means other thing :p

PAC90
06-18-2012, 04:16 PM
With /0 I hear S/T, Ixnay, and Americana. And the woes during the chorus remind me of Forever and A Day. Actually, maybe this song is just classic Offspring

With Slim Pickins Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell sounds like Gotta Get Away/Americana, and some Bad Religion influence. But it doesn't matter because all punk is BOUND to sound similar.

I also thought that slim pickins sounded a bit like gotta get away, maybe the chorus of the song. loved both of the songs, Glad to see the new album is gonna have some classic offspring in it afterall :)

DMelges
06-18-2012, 04:16 PM
The new song Slim Pickens inspired me to make this! Just finished. :D

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/5213/slimpickens.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/slimpickens.jpg/)

sneedo83
06-18-2012, 04:30 PM
That looks like official art for the song man great job!

DMelges
06-18-2012, 04:36 PM
That looks like official art for the song man great job!

Thanks man!

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
awesome dude! slap the new logo on that and you're set! fucking amazing job!

Mr.Nobody
06-18-2012, 04:51 PM
For first time in a long time, I CAN imagine Dexter with his dreadlocks singing these songs... Simply The Offspring. But Greg K Kontinues really quiet :D

Britpunk
06-18-2012, 04:58 PM
even Dying Scene (http://dyingscene.com/news/video-the-offspring-play-new-songs-dividing-by-zero-and-slim-pickens-live-in-belgium/) likes these...

Juzio _PL
06-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Slim Pickens verse reminds me a bit of Genocide bridge part :)

Little_Miss_1565
06-18-2012, 05:13 PM
even Dying Scene (http://dyingscene.com/news/video-the-offspring-play-new-songs-dividing-by-zero-and-slim-pickens-live-in-belgium/) likes these...

Still can't believe Dying Scene stalks the forums :)

Britpunk
06-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Still can't believe Dying Scene stalks the forums :)

Oh yeah I forgot about that little drama. Whatever happened to that guy? (this is rhetorical - I don't actually care)

mrconeman
06-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Now that is what I'm fucking talking about.

Dividing by Zero became my favourite track on the album as soon as Noodles kicked in his wah pedal. Even though Dexter's vocals are never perfect live, you can still tell the vocal melody in that song kicks ass. Nothing makes up for Cruisin' California, but at least we know the new album has two solid songs on it.

Llamas
06-18-2012, 05:35 PM

It's really a shame that it's more the music industry that choose the singles, and not the band themselves. Dividing By Zero or Slim Pickens as a single would be fucking amazing. Screw the little girls who don't think it's pop enough.

Releasing one of these songs as the single would've avoided the CC scandal.

Who says the band would've chosen a song like this? They wanted Days Go By as the lead single... how do you know they wouldn't have chosen CC as the second single?

Dividing by Zero became my favourite track on the album as soon as Noodles kicked in his wah pedal. Even though Dexter's vocals are never perfect live, you can still tell the vocal melody in that song kicks ass. Nothing makes up for Cruisin' California, but at least we know the new album has two solid songs on it.

I'd say three solid songs... I really like The Future Is Now, too. Heard that one yet?

mrconeman
06-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah, whoops, forgot about that!
Yeah that's a good song too. Three solid originals, and a fourth solid song in Dirty Magic.

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 05:37 PM

what about tfin? that makes three. learn to count, beeotch.

mrconeman
06-18-2012, 05:40 PM
What about the post above yours? Learn to read, beeotchh.

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 05:43 PM
dividing by zero and slim pickens are two tracks + the future is now=3.
learn your offspring, beeotch!

XYlophonetreeZ
06-18-2012, 05:44 PM
/0 (I like that abbreviation) is a good song and it does indeed sound like their old stuff. Almost TOO much like their old stuff! I may be in the minority here, but I've always wanted to see the Offspring moving forward rather than retreading the past, and I think they accomplished that end beautifully on the first half of RFRG (the second half was slightly disappointing). That being said, I don't mind an old-sounding song here and there, and /0 was nice. The solo was a tad lazy-sounding- probably my least favorite Middle Eastern riff they've ever done- but the rest of the song kicks.

Slim Pickens sounds like a pretty good song but it doesn't really stick out. I'll have to wait until I hear the album version.

/0 sounds great, but I hope that other songs will evolve their existing sound into new directions. I think "The Future is Now" is a great example of that and it's still probably my favorite out of the ones we've heard.

mrconeman
06-18-2012, 05:47 PM
dividing by zero and slim pickens are two tracks + the future is now=3.
learn your offspring, beeotch!

Again see the post above your last one, you mind numbing gimp.

DMelges
06-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Who says the band would've chosen a song like this? They wanted Days Go By as the lead single... how do you know they wouldn't have chosen CC as the second single?

Well, consider RFRG. They chose Hammerhead and YGGFK has the first singles right? Those are heavy, fast punk songs. Days Go By is much calmer and easy, and CC is pop. My guess is this time around they went with a more "let's please the majority" approach, with songs that are between pop and rock.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-18-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm guessing TBA couldn't read the post because it was posted just seconds before his. But he still should have read it afterwards instead of trying and failing to be funny and calling you a beeeeeotch or whatever.

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Again see the post above your last one, you mind numbing gimp.

i wasn't gonna quote you, but i fucking loved the mind numbing gimp part.
i just cant believe you wouldnt love each of the three songs... you, specially.

mrconeman
06-18-2012, 05:54 PM
I do like the three songs. I'll just quote what I keep pointing you to and what you keep missing.

Oh yeah, whoops, forgot about that!
Yeah that's a good song too. Three solid originals, and a fourth solid song in Dirty Magic.

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 06:12 PM
I do like the three songs. I'll just quote what I keep pointing you to and what you keep missing.

oh, sorry, i was posting using my smartphone and must've missed it!

so you're not a beeotch, just a regular bitch!:p

Llamas
06-18-2012, 06:15 PM
I like it when people feel the need to point out that they posted from a SMARTphone... as though saying you posted from your phone isn't enough... lol.

jacknife737
06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
I've had a massive grin as soon as I hit play on that youtube video, holyfuck these two songs are awesome. Divided By Zero is quite literally the closest thing they've written to an Ignition type song in 15 years. But Slim Pickens has got to be my favorite, I particularly love Dexter's vocals on that one!

GamerKT
06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
oh, sorry, i was posting using my smartphone and must've missed it!

so you're not a beeotch, just a regular bitch!:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQSceJJ1Clc

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 06:38 PM
I like it when people feel the need to point out that they posted from a SMARTphone... as though saying you posted from your phone isn't enough... lol.

yeah, cause i am a huge dick and love to show everyone how much better i am because i have a smartphone. i just thought that's how you guys say it in the US. the cultural barrier is a bitch, sorry.

at least it's an android and not a douchey iphone.

DMelges
06-18-2012, 06:49 PM
at least it's an android and not a douchey iphone.

Oh yeah because androids are made by jesus and angels while the iphone is made with tears of unborn children by the devil.

Give me a break guys.

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Oh yeah because androids are made by jesus and angels while the iphone is made with tears of unborn children by the devil.

THIS!! thank you, Dan! Finally someone understands me! :p

DMelges
06-18-2012, 06:53 PM
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/077/c/3/The_Sarcasm_Misunderstanding_by_ThePlotThinnens.jp g

hahaha

XYlophonetreeZ
06-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Get the fuck back on topic, y'all.

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Get the fuck back on topic, y'all.

yeah, sorry!
anyway, now that we've heard the songs and how they blend into eachother, i'm willing to call bullshit on that "journalist"'s claims.

(i fucking hate big bang theory, btw.)

DMelges
06-18-2012, 07:02 PM
yeah, sorry!
anyway, now that we've heard the songs and how they blend into eachother, i'm willing to call bullshit on that "journalist"'s claims.

I never believed any of that, Offspring always pulls through.

That makes you quite a horrible person. :D

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 07:05 PM
I never believed any of that, Offspring always pulls through.

That makes you quite a horrible person. :D

well, i gotta say i believed him, specially after he presented that picture.

well, im more of a community type of guy... you know, intelligent and all :)

Rafa88offspring
06-18-2012, 07:22 PM
well, i gotta say i believed him, specially after he presented that picture.

well, im more of a community type of guy... you know, intelligent and all :)

I know I'm veering off-topic but, BBT sucks.

All hail Chang!

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 07:28 PM
I know I'm veering off-topic but, BBT sucks.

All hail Chang!

Chang-ing (;))the subject, im getting a good feeling about the new album!

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-18-2012, 07:52 PM
I like it when people start a sentence with "I like it" and then go on to complete the sentence complaining about something that irritates them. But wait..... I just........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQSceJJ1Clc
I just realized that I am more excited for Days Go By than I am for the fifth season of Breaking Bad, and that's saying a lot.

DeeThree
06-18-2012, 07:52 PM
holy cow, both songs blend so well... and slim pickens is just greeeat! cant wait damnit!!!

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-18-2012, 07:53 PM
I keep opening the video in a new tab and then closing the tab right away. My will power is wearing thin.

TeddyBear_Army
06-18-2012, 08:00 PM
I keep opening the video in a new tab and then closing the tab right away. My will power is wearing thin.

dood, give in and listen to it. it's frecken awesooooome!

cool 2 hate 681
06-18-2012, 08:12 PM

i do also that chuck lorre guy makes the worst sitcoms

Hey Man Where's Everybody
06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
These songs are okay. "Divided By Zero" is slightly better than the other one. They both sound like RAFRAG outtakes, musically.

06-18-2012, 08:39 PM
On second listen, I dig the unhinged energy coming off of them. Neither song is too different from anything they've done so far, and neither song is as good as something like "Lightning Rod", but I still dig them. I think I was put off by that pedestrian chord progression on "Slim Pickens Does the Thing With The Place and Because, The Car", but I like what they're going for.

GamerKT
06-18-2012, 08:41 PM
On second listen, I dig the unhinged energy coming off of them. Neither song is too different from anything they've done so far, and neither song is as good as something like "Lightning Rod", but I still dig them. I think I was put off by that pedestrian chord progression on "Slim Pickens Does the Thing With The Place and Because, The Car", but I dig what they're going for.

You dig too much.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-18-2012, 08:45 PM
They both sound like RAFRAG outtakes, musically.

/0 sounds a bit like Hammerhead, but other than that I don't think it's remotely like anything on RAFRAG. And as Hammerhead is by far my favorite song on RAFRAG, I'm cool with that.

Though I like the song, the line "divide by zero like a wrecking crew" irks me. You can't divide by zero "like" anything!

06-18-2012, 08:48 PM
You dig too much.

Yup. Fixed.

disclaimer_07
06-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Dividing By Zero is exactly the type of Offspring song I thoroughly enjoy. Slim Pickens is still good though.

Little_Miss_1565
06-18-2012, 08:52 PM
What the fuck journalist do you keep talking about?

I literally can't wait for you guys to hear the studio versions of these two. Do you have any idea how hard it was to keep to myself how fucking awesome they are?

tylercosgrove1989
06-18-2012, 08:53 PM
What the fuck journalist do you keep talking about?

I literally can't wait for you guys to hear the studio versions of these two. Do you have any idea how hard it was to keep to myself how fucking awesome they are?

Read the "Track Breakdown" thread

Stravis
06-18-2012, 09:23 PM
The Future is Now;Slim Pickens >>> all until now.

Little_Miss_1565
06-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah, well, considering that person didn't know well enough that an actual journalist doesn't get on a band's website to talk shit about a new album after they get their hands on an advance stream, I don't think it's safe to say that person was an actual journalist. :)

killboybowerhead
06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
I know im a severe minority when I say... Lightning rod is a mediocre song to me. I already like both these more than lighting rod. Would anyone pick lightning rod over the noose?

ppronni
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
yeah, sorry!

I dont want to cause trouble, but i honestly don't see how well they blend into each other apart from the fact that when they stopped playing the first one they started immediately with the second one. I might be wrong saying there is no connexion, but i dont see an obvious connexion. There is no similar noise like between the ending of Never Gonna Find Me and the beginning of Lightning Rod, for example.

And the "journalist" only wanted to be polite and wasted his time answering questions to us so we could temper our nerves about the next album. I personally thank him for answering some things and i wouldn't blame him for giving his personal opinion.

Having said that, I agree with you (and with everyone else) that his opinions are just his, and that we should take them only as a reference. In any case, he said we would love tracks 1, 2, 11 and 12. And so far he has not been wrong.

06-18-2012, 09:29 PM
What Pete is doing with the hi-hat on the verses of "Dividing By Zero" really reminds me of Ignition.

mrconeman
06-18-2012, 09:36 PM
I must have watched this video 10 times tonight. That's probably more than I've heard Cruising California in the weeks since we first heard it.

Great couple of tracks. It genuinely does sound like S/T and Ignition era Offspring.

DividingByZero71
06-18-2012, 10:03 PM
one of these two song would have been a much better second single then cruising california. And thats my opinion from hearing the studio version of CC, and only a low quality live version of these two

JMO

malepunker
06-18-2012, 10:08 PM
This is what they're great at. I know they like to try different things but they are only good with them. And I only want great! :D

I liked "The future is now" too but this is a lot better. Don't think I've heard anything as cool from them since Americana.

Little_Miss_1565
06-18-2012, 10:34 PM
And the "journalist" only wanted to be polite and wasted his time answering questions to us so we could temper our nerves about the next album. I personally thank him for answering some things and i wouldn't blame him for giving his personal opinion.

...except politeness doesn't make you create an account on a band's forum, then tell everyone you have the record, and expect people to ask you questions about it. I thought it was, frankly, bizarre behavior.

killboybowerhead
06-18-2012, 10:59 PM
The dude seemed like a fan. I think a lot of people visit the boards that aren't actually members.. actually i know that because I once had the lead singer of the Deviates hit me up on aim a long time ago to call me out on talking shit on them for breaking up. haha that was fun.

Outerspaceman21
06-18-2012, 11:25 PM
so

yeah

I'm fucking in love with these songs. I cannot wait for this new album.

ppronni
06-18-2012, 11:46 PM
...except politeness doesn't make you create an account on a band's forum, then tell everyone you have the record, and expect people to ask you questions about it. I thought it was, frankly, bizarre behavior.

You could be right, i dont really care, to be honest. He anwered my questions and im grateful to him. Beyond that, its none of my business. ;)

killboybowerhead
06-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Have you heard the whole record little miss?

SMASHedTHEignition
06-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Fuck yeah! I Still think TFN is the best song ive heard, followed by DGB(i know it gets some criticism, but it has a kickass chorus)

SeanAshmore
06-19-2012, 01:11 AM
You dig too much.

I lol'd :D

SeanAshmore
06-19-2012, 01:14 AM
/0 sounds a bit like Hammerhead, but other than that I don't think it's remotely like anything on RAFRAG. And as Hammerhead is by far my favorite song on RAFRAG, I'm cool with that.

Though I like the song, the line "divide by zero like a wrecking crew" irks me. You can't divide by zero "like" anything!

That's not technically true, you can attempt to divide by zero in code. Most languages will throw and exception/crash etc. But you can still do it.

This is actually what I think the line is getting at; You know dividing by zero will crash the program but you do it anyway 'like a wrecking crew'. It's a nihilistic urge to just destroy everything.

Britpunk
06-19-2012, 01:32 AM
That's not technically true, you can attempt to divide by zero in code. Most languages will throw and exception/crash etc. But you can still do it.

This is actually what I think the line is getting at; You know dividing by zero will crash the program but you do it anyway 'like a wrecking crew'. It's a nihilistic urge to just destroy everything.

Yeah its that old thing about how if anybody successfully divided by zero, the universe would end.

danitanev
06-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Oh, man this really rocks! I'm so fuckin' excited! The Offspring are Great!

commonrider5447
06-19-2012, 02:10 AM
wow, Dividing by Zero seriously sounds like an Ignition song, and Slim Pickens sounds like a bad@$$ Americana era song. These are great head banging tunes!

I'm so happy the Offspring got their swagger back. Co1 and Splinter had some fine songs but they didnt have the same swagger / attitude and didn't feel like Offspring to me. I think Splinter felt really forced.

I was really happy with the last album, they just did whatever they wanted. This album sounds like it will be like Americana. Some awesome punk rock, some solid rock tunes, and a fun goofy track or two.

Awesome!!!!!!

Defender
06-19-2012, 02:12 AM
As it seems Noodles was right when he said that the new album includes old school-songs. I listened to them just once and I am not gonna listen to them again till the album be in my hands. Both plus TFIN are great! I am of those who like CC,too! I don't like pop music at all but this one is something different. "Days go by" is the only song I haven't warm up to but the lyrics make it sound a really good song.The new album seems to have many possibilities for "climbing" high on my ranking list.

Budzy
06-19-2012, 02:19 AM
Just listened to these two gems, very impressed. Things are looking up!

It will be interesting to hear the studio recording, I hope they keep it raw like in the video!

weezly
06-19-2012, 02:22 AM
great two songs, particularly DBZ - dragon ball z lol

RazielSR
06-19-2012, 03:23 AM
GREAT songs. Slim Pickens sounds to me like Gotta Get Away in some parts.

Let's see if some haters stops bashing the band and understand that this album is going to be fantastic having old school songs and a bit of fun songs.

Degstur Lolland
06-19-2012, 04:19 AM
It will be interesting to hear the studio recording, I hope they keep it raw like in the video!
I actually hope not. I hope it's cool and fits the album, but I'll take it anyway.

I like the perfect version of Days Go By too so I'm in such a mood.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-19-2012, 04:25 AM
Nope, couldn't resist. On the other hand HOLYFUCKHOLYFUCKHOLYFUCK :eek::eek::eek: I'm still looking for my jaw. And these two weren't even the songs I was most excited to hear. Man, this album is gonna be something special.

Chainsaw
06-19-2012, 04:29 AM
So, the reactions to these two songs are amazing. Can't wait to hear them. It's so hard not to give in and listen to the live versions :p.

TeddyBear_Army
06-19-2012, 04:44 AM
i know im a severe minority when i say... Lightning rod is a mediocre song to me. I already like both these more than lighting rod. Would anyone pick lightning rod over the noose?

this!!!!!! Holy shit, i love you!!

Degstur Lolland
06-19-2012, 04:44 AM

Have you heard the whole record little miss?

Now play the journalist guy please. :D

TheNooseIsFalling
06-19-2012, 05:00 AM
So, the reactions to these two songs are amazing. Can't wait to hear them. It's so hard not to give in and listen to the live versions :p.

Oh man you have no idea. I don't mean to tempt a man of principle but goddamn it's worth it. And the quality is great too.

dff_punk
06-19-2012, 05:05 AM
I too did resist till now. But if the fucker isn't leaked today, I'm gonna listen to this awesomeness as you people describe it.

Llamas
06-19-2012, 05:38 AM
To all those who are saying that these songs better shut up the CC haters - I'm a CC hater, and that hasn't changed. I'm annoyed and a little pissed that they made CC (especially that video), and it totally does change my opinion of the band a little. But at the same time, I'm glad they can still produce some good shit, as well. If this new album was gonna be primarily CC-type songs, I wouldn't check it out and I'd no longer care about the Offspring. I'll probably delete CC from my computer as soon as I have this album, or at least move it to a different folder so it doesn't play when I put on the album...

Fans have a right to hate a song. It's a bunch of BS that people are acting like because we're fans, we have to like every song. However, the people who were saying the Offspring is over, they're saying "fuck our fans!" and crap like that... well those people were just uncalled for and way over the top.

But these songs - Slim Pickens and Dividing by Zero - have at least distracted me, and given me some hope for this album. At least I know there are 4 songs (Slim Pickens, Dividing, The Future is Now, and Dirty Magic) which I'll really enjoy. :)

Llamas
06-19-2012, 05:58 AM
PS: I am officially stoked for this album. Mostly because I need to hear the studio versions of these two songs. I really can't believe they pulled off such old school-sounding jams!!! Going off the system I saw some other people do,

My excitement levels:

After hearing DGB: 40
After hearing DGB and TFIN: 65
DGB TFIN + CC: 30
DGB, TFIN, CC + Slim Pickens and Dividing: 90

And my song ratings, from worst to best:

Cruising California: 20 (I give it some points because I've definitely heard much worse shit...)
Days Go By: 30
The Future is Now: 85
Slim Pickens: 90
Dividing by Zero: 100

Puschka
06-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Now I'm reading all this comments about Dividing By Zero and Slim Pickens I want to hear them more :D! But I have to wait until 26th June

TeddyBear_Army
06-19-2012, 06:18 AM
PS: I am officially stoked for this album. Mostly because I need to hear the studio versions of these two songs. I really can't believe they pulled off such old school-sounding jams!!! Going off the system I saw some other people do,

My excitement levels:

After hearing DGB: 40
After hearing DGB and TFIN: 65
DGB TFIN + CC: 30
DGB, TFIN, CC + Slim Pickens and Dividing: 90

And my song ratings, from worst to best:

Cruising California: 20 (I give it some points because I've definitely heard much worse shit...)
Days Go By: 30
The Future is Now: 85
Slim Pickens: 90
Dividing by Zero: 100

Well, going by your rating system, I'd rate them as follows:

Days Go By: 80
CC: 85
TFIN: 90
/0: 95
SPDTRTARTBTH: 95

If /0 and SPDTRTARTBTH were condensed into a single song, i'd give them 99999

AD90
06-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Dividing By Zero was fantastic and Slim Pickens was pretty good, but anything that gets close to super old Offspring is a gigantic winner in my book.

Though I still think I like The Future Is Now the best. And Cruising California will always be a disasterpiece.

Degstur Lolland
06-19-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't know if I'll be able to rate them. It seems like I could give 10 to everything. Maybe I'll add some plus signs or something.

Anything seems inferior to TFIN. I respect DGB a lot. CC is such an undefined success. :d DBZ+SP, not sure how to describe it, old school fun or olds cool jerkoffs? :D Where is the goddamned stream!?

DMelges
06-19-2012, 07:27 AM
I would choose /0 and Slim Pickens over TFIN, don't know why, guess the other two are more my style.

AD90
06-19-2012, 07:36 AM
I would choose /0 and Slim Pickens over TFIN, don't know why, guess the other two are more my style.

They're definitely both more my style than TFIN, but TFIN just seems perfect to me. Dividing By Zero is close and Slim Pickens is a bit off that.

DMelges
06-19-2012, 07:43 AM
They're definitely both more my style than TFIN, but TFIN just seems perfect to me. Dividing By Zero is close and Slim Pickens is a bit off that.

TFIN is a much longer song, and it has the break and all the screams so I guess it's a more powerful song. But I really love the melodies of /0 and Slim Pickens :)

AD90
06-19-2012, 07:59 AM
In saying all that, I still wish there was a version of TFIN akin to /0 & Slim Pickens.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-19-2012, 08:31 AM
These two songs are now two of my favorite songs ever, but if I hadn't heard TFIN before them, I'm not sure which one I'd like most.

ppronni
06-19-2012, 10:19 AM
SLIM PICKENS for single, please. It is awesome.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-19-2012, 04:55 PM
dood, give in and listen to it. it's frecken awesooooome!
Okay, I give up I'm going to listen. I'll post my opinions later.

Sara MZK
06-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Both songs are awesome, but Dividing By Zero left my jaw on the floor when I first heard it, so it has to be that one for me! lol :)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-19-2012, 07:26 PM
THEY'RE AMAZING! They blew me away. I can't wait to listen to the studio versions. I love them. Wow. Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell is my favorite right now. Yes! I love them.

Stylie
06-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Wow, that was AWESOME! I guess most have been said here, this is pure Offspring-punk that's back. Dividing by Zero's rad chorus got stuck in my head, but I like Slim Pickens even better. I think btw it was right of them to seperate them as two songs, and not have it as one as someone here said would be better. I don't think it would, this is two rad songs, so glad :)

Ansem
06-20-2012, 05:46 AM
^Agreed, they are 2 different songs so I don't see why they shouldn't split them. Sure they follow up great but that's not a reason to make it 1 song. :p
Unlike Sum 41, on their latest album they decided to split 1 long song in 3 different songs which kinda sucks. When you play the album on shuffle on your iPod it doesn't play in the right order.

xLevante
06-20-2012, 06:47 AM
I literally just signed up, and I'm sad that so many people think RaFRaG ended badly - I loved the album ending with Rise and Fall, I thought it was very fitting.

That said, Dividing By Zero followed by Slim Pickens is probably the best ending to any album I've heard in the past few years. What a fucking tune.

Stylie
06-20-2012, 07:10 AM
^Agreed, they are 2 different songs so I don't see why they shouldn't split them. Sure they follow up great but that's not a reason to make it 1 song. :p
Unlike Sum 41, on their latest album they decided to split 1 long song in 3 different songs which kinda sucks. When you play the album on shuffle on your iPod it doesn't play in the right order.

Yup. Those two songs are okay to shuffle, but also works great together. Which Sum songs are you talking about, btw? I'm a fan of Screaming Bloody Murder :)

And welcome to the boards, xLevante! You're right, this is a really strong ending. Good first post - approved! theheh, kidding. Welcome!

Little_Miss_1565
06-20-2012, 08:15 AM
That said, Dividing By Zero followed by Slim Pickens is probably the best ending to any album I've heard in the past few years. What a fucking tune.

Welcome to the forums! Totally agreed with you on the last two songs.

Ansem
06-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Which Sum songs are you talking about, btw? I'm a fan of Screaming Bloody Murder :)
A Dark Road Out of Hell. It's split in Holy Images of Lies, Sick of Everyone and Happiness Machine. ;)

Llamas
06-20-2012, 11:08 AM
I literally just signed up, and I'm sad that so many people think RaFRaG ended badly - I loved the album ending with Rise and Fall, I thought it was very fitting.

Welcome! Personally, the last two albums ended badly, imo. RFRG didn't end as badly as Splinter, at least... but with Splinter, I never listen past track 9 (Lightning Rod), because I don't like Spare Me the Details and I hate When You're in Prison... and Da Hui's only average, so it's not worth sticking around for. RFRG I often turn off after SIMU... the songs that come after it are mediocre to me, so I turn it off.

I have to say that starting and ending the album strong and leaving weaker tracks in the middle is the best way to go, because I'm more likely to listen all the way through. I've even been listening to Cruising California and Days Go By, which are some of my least favorite songs, because they're surrounded by really good songs!