PDA

View Full Version : Stream via Rolling Stone!

Britpunk
06-19-2012, 09:11 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/album-premiere-the-offspring-stretch-out-on-days-go-by-20120619

Yay!

mrconeman
06-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Cool, thanks! *listens*

Britpunk
06-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Oh wow. TFIN is amazing. Secrets from the Underground is amazing. DGB is...well, Turning Into You is amazing...that's as far as I got so far.

Britpunk
06-19-2012, 09:18 AM
ZOMG Hurting as One's chorus is immense. </gushing>

ThunderPX
06-19-2012, 09:18 AM
... eeeeeeeeeee <3

_Lost_
06-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Fabulous! The Future Is Now is totally AWESOME! Listening to Secrets from the Underground now. I like it too. :D

SåS
06-19-2012, 09:25 AM
I WANT TO SO BAD BUT I CAN'T FIND GOOD HEADPHONES AND I WANT TO LISTEN TO IT IN ALL IT'S GLORRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

I can't believe this! Fuck it, YOLO.

brothadave79
06-19-2012, 09:25 AM
"Hurting as One" definitely has a "Something to Believe In" vibe with the backing vocals. I like it a lot.

offspringiztheshit
06-19-2012, 09:26 AM
secrets from underground is my favorite so far. havent finished listening yet.

RonWelty
06-19-2012, 09:26 AM
TFIN; HURTING AS ONE; DIRTY MAGIC ... jesus!

I just don't like CC and All I have left is you.

Britpunk
06-19-2012, 09:29 AM
TFIN; HURTING AS ONE; DIRTY MAGIC ... jesus!

I just don't like CC and All I have left is you.

Am on ALHLIY now. Certainly prefer it over Denial, Revisited. I like the slide guitar thingie, if thats the right thingie

Dexter_italy
06-19-2012, 09:29 AM
I like every second on this album! perfect, such a magnificent cure for detail and cool songs!

RonWelty
06-19-2012, 09:31 AM
SECRET FAMILY >100x CC

Actually i Like the song. IT should be first single instead of CC, if Label really wanted a commercial single. ass holes

Chainsaw
06-19-2012, 09:32 AM
I freakin love this album, overall.

DGB, CC (don't hate it, it's just weak compared to the other stuff) and All I have Left is You (this one I don't like at all) hold it back a bit. And I finally like Dirty Magic, the added little touches make it so much better.

SåS
Only heard first song YET TO HEAR SECOND, it makes me love you all!!!! I'm so happy to share this experience with other offspringers!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO GLAD I STAYED AWAKE!!

ppronni
My congratulations to the band. Totally fucking awesome set of songs. Future is Now, Secrets from the Underground, Hurting as One, Dirty Magic, Dividing by Zero and, especially, my favorite, Slim Pickens are fantastic tracks. I have even enjoyed the ballad and the joke songs (especially Secret Family). To me it sounds like an Americana II, because of its diversity and quality. Great job!!

_Lost_
06-19-2012, 09:35 AM
the jury is out on all i have left is you. i like the chorus... meh

the jury came back... i don't really like it.

Britpunk
06-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Holy crap. was trying to resist posting a running commentary, but Dirty Magic sounds far better than I could have even begun to imagine. I love all the vocal harmonies.

And OC Guns is a triumph :)

brothadave79
06-19-2012, 09:36 AM
I got chills from the electronic breakup in Dexter's voice during the bridge in TFIN. Very dystopian!

Chainsaw
06-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Holy crap. was trying to resist posting a running commentary, but Dirty Magic sounds far better than I could have even begun to imagine. I love all the vocal harmonies.

The moment the distorted guitars come in the intro you know it's gonna be awesome!

RonWelty
06-19-2012, 09:37 AM
slim pickens very very nice. Since Pay the man they haven't had a closing song so good

I'm actually impressed and very pleased.
Not the greatest album ever, not even of them, but since 1998 they haven't had one with so much potential.
COOL!

killboybowerhead
06-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Yea this album is really good. Best since Americana Id say. Really love it.

Count Orlok
especially love turning into you :-)

the first 5 tracks in are generally very strong, so far...very excited for the rest!

oh, & thanks for posting this ;)

offspringiztheshit
im liking everything except all i have left is you which isnt even bad im just not diggin the ballad

Lupin
gahhhhhhhhhhh!!! What an opening to an album!! and OC Guns?? I knew it was coming, but whhaaaaat!! hahaha!! I imagine a Gorillaz-esque version of the band playing it whilst strolling through the streets...followed by a Mariachi band who are actually all owls!!

It's nice to have new Offspring tunes to kick back to.

killboybowerhead
06-19-2012, 09:40 AM
i like all i have left a lot actually. OC Guns in my favorite. Its way too bad ass.

keonii7
06-19-2012, 09:44 AM
This album... is GODLIKE. Waaaaaaay better than RAFRAG!

Yeah, CC is kinda wack, but I love OC Guns!! It's funny!

Lupin
06-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Anyone know why Rolling Stone are celebrating 20 Years of The Offspring?? wouldn't 28 years be closer...?

Britpunk
06-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Anyone know why Rolling Stone are celebrating 20 Years of The Offspring?? wouldn't 28 years be closer...?

That's Music Journalism! Fair play though, I can forgive that this once :)

killboybowerhead
06-19-2012, 09:50 AM
I think its fucking weird Rolling Stone has anything to do with them right now.. thought they turned their backs on the offspring after splinter.

offspringiztheshit
06-19-2012, 09:53 AM
i wanna secret family has to much resemblence to rise and fall but still good.

SåS
06-19-2012, 09:54 AM
I basically fucking exploded all over my walls with euphoric laughter and happiness when I heard 0:22 of Dirty Magic.

This album is amazing.

EDIT:

Pete and Josh both did really well!
I'm intrigued to see who did what songs, but some of them are obvious.

KTILLA23
06-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Thank you very much for the heads up! I'm loving it!

killboybowerhead
06-19-2012, 09:58 AM
ha so I'm the only one listening to the stream?

brothadave79
i wanna secret family has too much resemblence to Weird Al Yankovic but still good.

Fixed that for you.

Dragnet
I think I like this record much more then RAFRAG. Still, CC is the worst Offspring song ever. All I Have Left Is You comes along with major pitch correction in the beginning and it's kinda monotone. The rest is cool with me. All in all it's not so bad.

Tijs
This is really one of the best albums I've heard in the past few years. It's SO Offspring, everything about it. Sounds like a great follow-up of RAFRAG, but at the same time completely new. Love every song on it, especially Slim Pickens and all the other ones!

XYlophonetreeZ
06-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I can't be the only one who really likes All I Have Left is You, right? Secret Family is also good, but it makes me kind of even more mad that Cruising California exists. They already had such a great pop song on the album, CC was totally unnecessary.

offspringiztheshit
06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
who else wants slim pickens to be number one on the charts?... of all time

Britpunk
06-19-2012, 10:03 AM
ha so I'm the only one listening to the stream?

Nah. On second playthrough via the stream (and I will only be listening to the stream, until Monday, when I will go to the record store and buy it at 9am when they open). After waiting 4 years, 4 hours was nothing.

Lupin
06-19-2012, 10:04 AM
It's SO Offspring, everything about it. Sounds like a great follow-up of RAFRAG, but at the same time completely new.

Indeedy!!

Am I the only person who still gets taken aback when The Brain looks at them...?

brothadave79
06-19-2012, 10:05 AM

Slim Pickens sounds incredible and the lyrics are fantastic. I need to put on a sweater, too many chills in here.

Virtuoso
Nice, really nice.
I still need to listen to the whole thing at least one more time to form an accurate opinion.

SåS
FUCK THIS ALBUM IS GREAT.
Even the mixing/mastering of this album shits over RAFRAG.
I am just, so happy, absolutely over the moon.
I don't even care about CC, never did.

This album is definitely bumpin' in my trunk/10.

Dexter_italy
06-19-2012, 10:06 AM
the intro of dirty magic is like "1st guitar so you think it's gonna be the same, 2nd guitar and blow your mind fucking away!"
I love how it's pumped and the backvocal!

Little_Miss_1565
06-19-2012, 10:08 AM
the intro of dirty magic is like "1st guitar so you think it's gonna be the same, 2nd guitar and blow your mind fucking away!"
I love how it's pumped and the backvocal!

Honestly, I was pretty scared how Dirty Magic would turn out, but they couldn't have done it better. They kept what matters about the song the same and gave everything else a really thoughtful update. I love it.

ppronni
06-19-2012, 10:09 AM

Its my favorite song on the album and i think it MUST be a single, its awesome

the_real_potomek
I love the album! Especially OC Guns:D And Turning Into You, I think those two are my favourite songs from the new album for now, OC Guns slightly more probably:)
Studio versions of The Future Is Now, Dividing By Zero and Slim Pickens sound so good, and new version of Dirty Magic is so awesome, so powerful.
The whole album is amazing, the band totally wasn't lying when they said it's gonna be a cool album:)

Dexter_italy
Honestly, I was pretty scared how Dirty Magic would turn out, but they couldn't have done it better. They kept what matters about the song the same and gave everything else a really thoughtful update. I love it.

I'm in a fucking love mood, first sunday show, then this. I love the band, I love all you here, even the ones I hate now!! :D

no_hero,no_saviour
06-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Secrets from the underground, OC guns and Slim Pickens are my favourites so far.

Chainsaw
06-19-2012, 10:14 AM
I can't even pick favorites. With RAFRAG I knew right away. This time it's just three songs I don't enjoy that much and nine full of awesomeness.

Count Orlok
06-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I can't be the only one who really likes All I Have Left is You, right? Secret Family is also good, but it makes me kind of even more mad that Cruising California exists. They already had such a great pop song on the album, CC was totally unnecessary.

Nope, not the only one ;)

Maybe it's because i'm way more open for different genres than punk or rock than i was 4 years ago, but i really dig the broad range present on this record, even the straight pop songs.

On Conspiracy or RAFRAG they also tried to do different stuff, but this time they really succeed at this. I'm really not a friend of comparisons, but Days Go By kinda reminds me of London Calling in terms of maintaining a punk-vibe while incorporating many songs which definitely aren't punk.

Kinda looks like The Offspring finally didn't give a shit about the "We want Smash back"-Faction (Also i love Smash, too, for sure).

Peace!

_Way_Down_the_Line_
06-19-2012, 10:26 AM
I can't even pick favorites. With RAFRAG I knew right away. This time it's just three songs I don't enjoy that much and nine full of awesomeness.

I can !

Slim Pickens and Secrets from the Underground, are rocking my ass out

but I like them all, turning into you, the future is now, dividing by zero, new dirty magic all excellent songs this is amazing !!

brothadave79
06-19-2012, 10:27 AM
I really wasn't a fan of Fix You, but I'm grooving on All I Have Left. This album is amazing indeed.

Edit: The structure of the two songs is similar, but I feel the emotion in All I Have Left to be more "real" and believable. I can relate to it.

_Lost_
06-19-2012, 10:30 AM
UPDATE:

This album is so awesome that it makes iGustavo want to take all his clothes off!!

Gustavo
06-19-2012, 10:32 AM
UPDATE:

This album is so awesome that it makes iGustavo want to take all his clothes off!!

Hey, you got me there!

mrconeman
06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
So yeah, apart from CC this album is pretty great. Days Go By is still really generic and generally on the side of bad, but I do feel it growing on me, just a little.

I actually really dig OC Guns, and I was scared about it from it's description, I think it's a really cool reggae jam. The tikki tikki vocals are a little cringey, but other than that it's great. The mariachi horns are awesome.

Updated Dirty Magic is amazing, they really could have fucked that one up, but it's really really fucking good. Jesus. I'm glad they'll play it live more often now.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Doot DOO-doo DOO-doo DOO-doo DOO!

The Search Button
06-19-2012, 10:37 AM
In my opinion, Dirty Magic got a penis enhancement.

Slim Pickens is single material because it makes me dance.

Jesus
06-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Love this album! Really shows that they put a lot of effort into it.

btw Dexter's voice sounds really great on All I Have Left is You which is why it's probably a zillion times better than fix you. Sounds more authentic. Overall the production sounds pretty good too, vocals on the future is now sound even quite rough (the way it should be!).

XYlophonetreeZ
06-19-2012, 10:38 AM
The tikki tikki vocals are a little cringey

I think the "shoot him in the back" voice is the cringy part.

Defender
06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Am I the only one who has not listened to the new album yet? I will not succumb to fucking temptation.

P.s I am listening to RAFRAG right now in order to forget the new album till the release.

SilentHunter(Spain)
06-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Tikki tikki are awesome man LOL

mrconeman
06-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I think the "shoot him in the back" voice is the cringy part.

Yeah from Tikki tikki right up through cabron, and ending at shoot him in the back is all pretty cringe. The rest of the song is great though. I think.

jacknife737
06-19-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm at work, and cannot listen to the stream for around four hours and fifteen minutes.

I hate all of you right now.

Chainsaw
06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Yeah from Tikki tikki right up through cabron, and ending at shoot him in the back is all pretty cringe. The rest of the song is great though. I think.

That part just brings a smile to my face, every time, can't help it.

Outerspaceman21
06-19-2012, 10:51 AM
half way though now. I dig Secrets, Turning Into You and Hurting As One, especially Hurting As One. Has a very classic Offspring feel to it, reminds me of something I would hear on Americana. On All I Have Left Is You. I like it.

_Way_Down_the_Line_
06-19-2012, 10:55 AM
finally they curse on spanish !! yeaaah !!

tiki tiki tiki que hijo de puta, pendejo cabron !! EPIC EPIC YOU GUYS !

TheJakes84
06-19-2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/album-premiere-the-offspring-stretch-out-on-days-go-by-20120619

Yay!

Thank you. :) All I Have Left Is You and Dirty Magic are my favorites. :D It's the clean/shitty version. Fuck it. I will purchase the explicit version.

SåS
06-19-2012, 10:57 AM
All I have is You is milestones above Fix You, tempo isn't such a huge deal if the song isn't boring, Fix You was kind of boring, I heard it once or twice and never really got into it, AIHIY on the other hand, I had to go back to it, the layering of guitar melodies and Dexter's vocals make that song, it's just generally more interesting, the whole album is.

Bumpin' in my trunk/10

Jaded skies
06-19-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm over in Ireland right now, why that matters i have no idea but i found it fitting to give in and give it a listen!

OC Guns is the best song on the album

Overall, the album is great and very diverse! Not a fan of DGB and All i have left is you. All the rest is top notch!

Isti
06-19-2012, 11:01 AM
I Wanna Secret Family (With You) - I just fell in love !!!!

commonrider5447
06-19-2012, 11:05 AM
ok, well done Offspring. I had lost faith after Splinter, even Co1 was not bad but didnt fit with Offspring for me. RAFRAG was a great album that restored my faith and this is a good follow up.

The punk songs are REALLY REALLY awesome here, which I thought they had kind of lost after Americana. I also really like DGB and I dig CC and All I Have Left Is You is a nice surprise (better than denial or fix you), I like Dexter's voice on it.

But I dunno if I can embrace OC guns like most of you seem to have.

Anyway, Ill preorder this now and see where on the list of Offspring albums this ends up falling after a few more listens.

momo91
06-19-2012, 11:05 AM
OH FUCK!!! It's great, so many fast-rocking songs! Slim pickens my favourite so far. I liked All I have left is you, not so much OC guns.

ThunderPX
06-19-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm still not a huge fan of the production, but it's definitely better than it was on RAFRAG.
The studio version of Future Is Now is pretty awesome though; the piano outro is cool and the digital stutter effect is pretty nifty considering the song's subject matter.
OC Guns really stood out; after only one listen of the album, it's definitely the one that struck me the most out of the songs I hadn't heard yet.
I'm not sure if I like Slim Pickens that much, honestly... I heard it last night in Amsterdam and even then I felt it was a bit too similar to old Offspring songs. I dunno, though. Needs a couple listens, I think.

Superdope
06-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Fuck yes, this is tits.

GamerKT
06-19-2012, 11:08 AM
As someone who mostly understand Spanish, O.C. Guns is the funniest shit on here.

Hurting As One seems like it could've been on Smash. In my opinion. Reminds me of Something To Believe In.

offspringfan01
06-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Slim Pickens is AWESOME! Also really like I wanna secret family with you! :D

XYlophonetreeZ
06-19-2012, 11:09 AM
At this point in time I am not an OC Guns fan. It might annoy me even more than CC. Waaaaaaay too repetitive.

psimate
06-19-2012, 11:10 AM
It's more like a rock album than punk. Really cool, I can't decide if I should listent to it again...
The best is Dividing by Zero, understood??? :cool:

Outerspaceman21
06-19-2012, 11:11 AM
okay, done with the album. Verdict: I love it. I enjoyed OC Guns, it's a very groovy song, All I Have Left is You is a pretty decent song. I think the only songs that I don't care for are, coincidentally, the lead singles of the album. Day's Go By is an alright song, I don't have any beef with it, but I just don't care for it and I just flat out don't like Cruising California. Aside from those two, this album is golden. Classic Offspring where is counts.

RedFox
06-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki ...! FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Da Hui
06-19-2012, 11:17 AM
the clipping is horrible, and theres an awful lot of auto tune.. good songs though

Da Hui
06-19-2012, 11:23 AM
it all sounds a bit weird..

Virtuoso
06-19-2012, 11:25 AM
the clipping is horrible, and theres an awful lot of auto tune.. good songs though
Yeah, I noticed that too. It's a shame 'cause I believe Dexter's raw vocals would have made the whole album sound more authentic. But I guess in today's music everything has to be polished like a dog's ballsack.
It's still great though.

Little_Miss_1565
06-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Where do you hear clipping? I hear a lot of compression on the vocals, but that's production.

GamerKT
06-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Shit, Hurting As One is fucking amazing.

Da Hui
haha OC Guns is beast..

Da Hui
Where do you hear clipping? I hear a lot of compression on the vocals, but that's production.

future is now a bit

Virtuoso
06-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I personally don't hear clipping. Just the effects on the vocals.

SuperKnux
06-19-2012, 11:30 AM
I've only listened to a minute of a OC Guns and already its FUCKING AMAZING!!

Virtuoso
06-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Shit, Hurting As One is fucking amazing.
Awesome song. The screaming in the chorus reminds me a lot of Something To Believe In.

Da Hui
06-19-2012, 11:34 AM
im pissed off.. i'm missing the build up to the england game to listen to this and i keep thinking i'll stop after the next track to watch it, but i cant!!

pretty good overall. the sound is a bit odd though..

Virtuoso
06-19-2012, 11:35 AM
im pissed off.. i'm missing the build up to the england game to listen to this and i keep thinking i'll stop after the next track to watch it, but i cant!!

pretty good overall. the sound is a bit odd though..
Odd in what way? The vocals?

hshduppsnt
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
ok well at this point I mentioned I would hold out until next week at this point... but I figured hey I've already heard TFIN... so I can listen to that one... now I'm seriously staring at my computer debating listening to the rest haha (I'm willing to bet I cave within the next 5 minutes... euro england game needs to hurry up and start to distract me)

0r4ng3
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not so much focused on the production values of an internet stream. I'll wait until I get the CD itself to judge that.

SåS
06-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Some of Dexter's parts are autotuned (choruses, main melodies) and in little parts all over the album, but you hear Dexter's raw voice in a lot of songs as well, especially the punkier ones (DB0, TFIN, HA1), at the end of OC guns is a good example as well (I'm going down, I'm going down town)

A lot of it could just be the double tracking, Rock's double tracking is more subtle (much like the pop radio standard) than for instance, Smash's double tracking.
It's just a standard technique that everybody uses to make the vocals stronger. Makes it sounder smoother and fuller, ya know?
Also, I would imagine Rock tuning the double tracks so they're absolutely perfect (or they're just auto double tracks?). 0:24 to 0:30 is a good example of natural double tracking in Hurting As One, CAN YOU HEAR IT?!?!?!

Autotune is such a standard in the music business anyway, it's not a huge deal, Dexter can sing, it's just a sound that people have become accustomed to, and if pop music is just evolution of consumer choice, than autotune is just something we'll have to live with for a long while.

Leave the angsty anti-establishment attitudes of no producing to the younger bands I guess...

Da Hui
06-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Odd in what way? The vocals?

yeah, i think some of the harmonies are a bit to autotuned, and some of the guitar sounds quite synthesized. it's a good album no doubt.

brendan o'brien doing CO1 sound for this album would've been awesome..

Leonardo
06-19-2012, 11:38 AM
I think turning into you is the best of the whole album :D!

SåS
06-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not so much focused on the production values of an internet stream. I'll wait until I get the CD itself to judge that.

This.
10 characters and bumpin' in my trunk

Da Hui
06-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Some of Dexter's parts are autotuned (choruses, main melodies) and in little parts all over the album, but you hear Dexter's raw voice in a lot of songs as well, especially the punkier ones (DB0, TFIN, HA1), at the end of OC guns is a good example as well (I'm going down, I'm going down town)

A lot of it could just be the double tracking, Rock's double tracking is more subtle (much like the pop radio standard) than for instance, Smash's double tracking.
It's just a standard technique that everybody uses to make the vocals stronger. Makes it sounder smoother and fuller, ya know?
Also, I would imagine Rock tuning the double tracks so they're absolutely perfect (or they're just auto double tracks?). 0:24 to 0:30 is a good example of natural double tracking in Hurting As One, CAN YOU HEAR IT?!?!?!

Autotune is such a standard in the music business anyway, it's not a huge deal, Dexter can sing, it's just a sound that people have become accustomed to, and if pop music is just evolution of consumer choice, than autotune is just something we'll have to live with for a long while.

Leave the angsty anti-establishment attitudes of no producing to the younger bands I guess...

there's plenty of singing without autotune and it sounds really good, i think they've just overdone it a little. offspring have always double tracked and i think dexters voice sounds so unique because sometimes he dips slightly flat but it works so well and with the autotuning it removes that a bit. he's clearly had some singing lessons based on his live performances recently and i think he should've been able to show that off a bit more on this album without being corrected on half of it..

good album though!

Virtuoso
06-19-2012, 11:44 AM
yeah, i think some of the harmonies are a bit to autotuned, and some of the guitar sounds quite synthesized. it's a good album no doubt.

brendan o'brien doing CO1 sound for this album would've been awesome..
Indeed. I guess the effects on the vocals are more noticeable than on RAFRAG.

Anyway, I should be studying and working hard but I'm just listening to the friggin' album. Why, Offspring, why do you keep distracting me?

SåS
06-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Well, I think that some things are out of their control.
It would be a lot better without it, but oh well, autotune would be the last thing to complain about if the album was shitty, but for some reason it's just fun to over-analyse the good things...

It's still a good album, and I will wait for the CD to judge the production values, the mixing sounds good but there's only so much you can hear with 128kbs MP3.
AT LEAST it doesn't sound like Death Magnetic or something.

cool 2 hate 681
06-19-2012, 11:52 AM
At this point in time I am not an OC Guns fan. It might annoy me even more than CC. Waaaaaaay too repetitive.

i agree with this

SåS
06-19-2012, 11:53 AM
IT'S HEAPS COOL TO H8, YOU GUIIEEESS!
srs

GamerKT
06-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Did you guys see that Greg K. commented on the stream? I mean, it could be fake, but...

Dexter_italy
06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
where? .....

F@ BANKZ
06-19-2012, 12:11 PM
i'm two songs in and it's already an AMAZING album.

Virtuoso
06-19-2012, 12:13 PM
where? .....
One of the posts on rollingstone.

F@ BANKZ
first three so far are beautifully and traditionally structured for the offspring, so much so im actually seriously enjoying days go by

Biggest offspring fan
This is awsome !!!! Really great album ! Dont know what to say. The only song im crtical to is oc guns.

Virtuoso
06-19-2012, 12:17 PM
first three so far are beautifully and traditionally structured for the offspring, so much so im actually seriously enjoying days go by
Ya, Days Go By blends well with the rest of the album. I didn't like it that much as a stand-alone song.

F@ BANKZ
06-19-2012, 12:20 PM
fucking hell the first four songs are almost perfect. exactly what they should be doing! and yeah i can't imagine greg k using a smiley like :-) for some reason :p

cool 2 hate 681
06-19-2012, 12:28 PM
my favorite songs on it are

The Future Is Now
Dirty Magic
Dividing by Zero
Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell

DeeThree
06-19-2012, 12:33 PM
i know OC guns is about the dangerous gangs in OC, but by the rythm and the mood in the song i think it can also relate to our actual situation in mexico with the narco war??

F@ BANKZ
06-19-2012, 12:38 PM
i'm a bit of a punk energy lover so i don't like the way after 5 AMAZING, A.MAZING songs they change the sound to a more varied rock without the punk and i'm sure a lot of classic offspring fans will feel the same. for example I wish OC Guns was speeded up a bit and had a fuckload of rhythm guitar in the background then it wouldve been orgasmic. all i have left is you i will probably learn to like but mainly cause it's an offspring song.

unfortunately i feel the chorus of dirty magic lost some of the pain of the original, the smoothness of the verses does the same but there wouldn't have been much point making it the same. Would again have rather had another song like the first 5 :p that's just me though, i don't think they can be blamed for bringing DM to a larger audience so they can play it more in all it's glory so doesn't receive harsh marking. overally, alright, could've done with some more punkish sound but that might've made it incompatible with the rest of the album.

now for track 10.

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
This is AMAZING !! Best album since conspiracy of one

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
06-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Dividing by zero is really amazing. I was there when they played it in Brussels and I instantly liked it

DeeThree
06-19-2012, 12:54 PM
My favorites are:
-The Future is Now
-Secrets from the Underground
-Dirty Magic
-Dividing by zero
-Slim Pickens

I like em all, but those are my 5 picks... truly amazing!

Tompo2000
06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Hm, I keep on noticing a similarity between the verse of Turning Into You and Rise Against's "Ready to Fall"

Da Hui
06-19-2012, 12:58 PM
don't like the new dirty magic much..

Da Hui
06-19-2012, 12:58 PM
slim pickens is pretty rad. i love bad religion..

RazielSR
06-19-2012, 12:59 PM
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS AWESOME. This album is A-W-E-S-O-M-E

MOTO13
06-19-2012, 01:01 PM
I gave a few songs, not all, a little snippet of a listen. I did not listen to any one song entirely, only a few seconds. I will say this...from what I heard, the album might just be pretty amazing.

DeeThree
06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
is it weird i really enjoyed all i have left is you? i feel it like a relaxing spot in the album, sort of like intermission on ixnay

Gustavo
06-19-2012, 01:09 PM
So, who else *kind of* hears the Japanese "hey, hey, hey" chant during The Future Is Now?

GamerKT
06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Hm, I keep on noticing a similarity between the verse of Turning Into You and Rise Against's "Ready to Fall"

No. Don't start with that.

manu85xxx
06-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Just fantastic!

Dividing is my favourite at the moment but all the album is great.

I wait for read on papers what will write the idiots about OC guns.

If nofx or rancid , or clash made it, it could be a breat ska song in an old school punkrock album.

I'm waiting for the writer's inventions this time :-)
----

About similarity between TFIN and savior , just hear the chords and not the chorus, the songs are totally different.
Rise against and OFfspring chorus are often similar for how that sounds.
---

I'm feeling more inlove with the offspring than yesterday :-)

Tompo2000
06-19-2012, 01:26 PM
So, who else *kind of* hears the Japanese "hey, hey, hey" chant during The Future Is Now?

Me :D
I shouldn't have listened to that crappy live recording^^

_Way_Down_the_Line_
06-19-2012, 01:26 PM
O.C guns is exactly what Dexters thinks about gringo bandito sauce, mota, why don't you get a job? and what in the world happened to you? all together. When I hear the song makes me think of the Gringo Banditos Sauce Picture with Dexter and the Pistols :D

Thomas
06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm writing this as I listen to the album for the first time.

So far this is very reminiscent of Americana. The two opening tracks are killer! Secrets from the Underground reminded me of older AFI, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I like the contrast in the title track compared to the first two. I've always liked this song since I first heard it, anyway.

Turning into you actually reminds me a lot of Rise Against, just like The Future is Now. It seems to me like the band is starting to get more rhythmically intricate with their approach to punk music, and I like it.

I like the way Hurting as One still has a hard punk sound while still sounding COMPLETELY different than the first few tracks. The drumming in the bridge is fun! I bet Pete recorded this one.

Ugh. The CC completely throws off the awesome vibe this album had going. I feel like they could have completely scrapped this song and the album would flow even better.

Hearing All I Have Left is You, I know they could have gotten rid of CC and it would have been fine. This song isn't really clicking with me on my first listen, either. Maybe once I read the lyrics it'll be better. It builds nicely, but I guess it just ain't my style. It might grow on me, though.

OC Guns is neat so far, but I feel like Dexter's spanish is a bit forced. The music is cool, though, but his accent is just off. I'm also a Spanish minor, so that could be just me. The reggae mix with the "mariachi" trumpets is pretty cool, though. I feel like this would be an awesome instrumental track, actually. haha. The little "boing" sound seemed a bit out of place, though.

Ooh. The guitar intro to Dirty Magic is cleaned up, but still sounds gritty. Whoa. Distortion. Cool! I like how high-energy it is at the chorus! It's weird saying this, but this updated version almost sounds like a Metallica song. I like it.

I Wanna Secret Family (With You) definitely reminds me of Americana for some reason. Maybe it's the lyric content. It's definitely better than what I was expecting, though.

Dividing by Zero sounds SO AWESOME. It sounded fantastic live, but with an actual studio recording, I can actually hear everything the cheap live shot couldn't capture. I love it. Sounds just like something from their first album.

Slim Pickens is a nice transition to their more modern sound. It's like the perfect blend of old school styles while still updating their sound. Excellent closer to the album.

Overall, not bad. The album seemed to get a little iffy for me in the middle, but the first five songs are fantastic and the last few are phenomenal. Maybe it'll grow on me, but I still think RafRag was better. I hope they pick one of the harder tunes for the next single because I think that would give a better representation of the album as a whole. I definitely think it's their heaviest album in a very very long time.

vionline
06-19-2012, 01:32 PM
uashuashsaushuashusahusahuas

This is the Offsprings worst album ive ever listened! hahahha
Future is now and Divided By Zero are great songs!

But why re-record Dirty Magic???????

"OC guns" is ridiculous.. uahuaha Can u imagine this song in a live concert??
Better not imagine.. uhashuashuashua

"All i have left" makes me laugh so much.. this squishy voice doesnt make me feel anything, Dexter! uhasuhashuas sounds like Wallflowers or sth... uhsahusa

Days go By is that shit... foo fighters stuff

But thanks for THE FUTURE IS NOW, DIVIDED BY ZERO and TURNING INTO YOU!

More 3 songs on my Ipod..

KHWHD
06-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Oh yeah, LOVING it!! :D

Chestbrah
06-19-2012, 01:49 PM
I get tears in my eyes of the relieve that this album is not like rfrg or splinter... great job offspring. This is more, much more than I expected.

BigFish
06-19-2012, 02:02 PM
The album is fucking incredible. I just think it's funny that Dexter decided to reuse "dance fucker dance" in Slim Pickens, but it works. I would write a more in depth post, but right now I'm just in shock.

danitanev
06-19-2012, 02:03 PM
I'll say it again - very nice album with some really great songs - like The Future Is Now, Secrets From The Underground, Dividing By Zero, Dirty Magic, Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell and the others are very good too - I love the Album and The Offspring - they never dissapoint me!

ultimodiablo
06-19-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't post on here nearly often enough but I'm loving the new album. Role on the 26th!!

Da Hui
06-19-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't post on here nearly often enough but I'm loving the new album. Role on the 26th!!

haha understatement of the millenium..

YourKing
06-19-2012, 02:18 PM
I've just heard the whole album and I really like it.
Dividing By Zero and Slim Pickens are my favorites.

ultimodiablo
06-19-2012, 02:25 PM
haha understatement of the millenium..

Too true. Too true.

Outerspaceman21
06-19-2012, 02:55 PM
was looking though the comment section of the stream and found this comment left my Greg K.

"It's nice to see you guys like the album.

About "The Future Is Now", we wrote this back in march 2009, before the Rise Against album came out.I can only say, great minds think alike! :-)"

Now, I'm not entirely certain if this is real or not, it could be some random person making stuff. Just thought I'd share it with everybody.

_Lost_
06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
was looking though the comment section of the stream and found this comment left my Greg K.

About "The Future Is Now", we wrote this back in march 2009, before the Rise Against album came out.I can only say, great minds think alike! :-)"

Now, I'm not entirely certain if this is real or not, it could be some random person making stuff. Just thought I'd share it with everybody.

i was just talking about this. I wonder if it really was him... It'd be out of character for the dude, but super cool.

Outerspaceman21
06-19-2012, 03:29 PM
i was just talking about this. I wonder if it really was him... It'd be out of character for the dude, but super cool.

that's why I'm a little skeptical. It's usually Dex or Noodles that talks about that stuff. Still, that would be something really cool for them to confirm, not that I want to stick it to people bitching about it sounding like Savior, but because I'm interested in the recording process of the album. They (supposedly) wrote it back while I was in my second semester of college, while I was worrying about my midterms and music theory homework, and I'm finally hearing it now. I was 19 then, almost 23 now. I don't know why, but I find those little bits of info fascinating.

Bazza
06-19-2012, 04:12 PM
bllaahhh!!1!!!

Yeh so it's past midnight, I should be up in ~6 hours, but I've just noticed this and am listening now!!

This is so awesome!!

Sara MZK
06-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Turning Into You absolutely should have been the first single.... that chorus is just immense! Shame that a song like CC will become better known... :(

The album definitely surpassed my expectations. :)

GamerKT
06-19-2012, 04:19 PM

The thing is that the album Savior is from, Appeal to Reason, came out in '08.

They still didn't rip it off, though.

DarrellOCguy
06-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Take away Cruising California and this album KICKS SO MUCH ASS!!!

I cant wait to blast this shit cruising around.

Perfection. I was worried and not too exited till i finally got to hear. Holy Shitballs. They stepped up BIG TIME.

I cant even say my favorites, i like all of them. I wont listen again until i get it next tuesday :D

I'm prepared to ignore any and ALL comparisons to other bands or production bitching. Best album in YEARS :eek:

cool 2 hate 681
06-19-2012, 06:22 PM

yeah i don't think the future is now sounds like rise against but i think turning into you kinda does

aintnoballnchain
06-19-2012, 06:44 PM
just finished listening to the stream...i would give it a 4/5. cruising California and all i have left is you are the only songs i didn't like...not really a big fan of the more pop-like songs but i understand they gotta do them to appeal to the casual listeners. i thought i wanna a secret family was pretty cool though even though it was kind of a more pop song...and the dirty magic remake was dope as hell...i really hope it becomes a single so that song can get the recognition it deserves after 20 years. definitely gonna buy it the day it comes out :cool:

offsrx
06-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Aaaa! FUUUCK!
Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man!!
O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy, O boy,!!!
IT FUCKING OWNS !!! YEEEEEEEEEESSS!!!

TFIN.. :OOOOOOOOOOOO JAW DROPPED!!!

Dirty MAgic... I'm in love again! IN THAT SONG! Like this melancholic heart started to tingle... I jizzed officialy XDDDDDDDDDDDD

Those are only 2 songs that I'm now raping on - repeat button.:D As for the rest of the album - It fucking owns! Although - I still think Cruising California ruins the impact of album, and for that ballad "all I have.."... Nah, I still think Denial Revisited is the best one they put out in that "romantic" emotion.. Fix you is the worst :P But All I have is somewhere in between, it's not so - winy and cheesy, so it can go.. And I don't like that much O.C. guns, but it's funny as hell! XD Now THAT is a joke song.. Need to listen more other songs lol:D

NoGuessing
06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Is it just me or do the two current singles sound really weird in context of the album?

aintnoballnchain
06-19-2012, 07:31 PM
does anyone know if you can stream it on the rollingstone website on your smartphone? they songs don't show up when i go to the link on my phone, or is it supposed to be that way?

effreyj
06-19-2012, 07:33 PM
It works on my Android Phone. You have to have flash enabled, so it won't work on iPhones. Droids are superior, THE FUTURE IS NOW!!

aintnoballnchain
06-19-2012, 07:47 PM
i do have a droid

how do i enable flash?

aintnoballnchain
06-19-2012, 07:56 PM
i tried on the Dolphin Browser too...it just says "Click to listen to the Offspring's 'Days Go By:" and then nothing... :mad: i'd love to be able to listen to the album on my phone at work tomorrow...

Outerspaceman21
06-19-2012, 08:28 PM

yeah, it did, but the song wasn't released as a single until June 2009 and that's when it became popular. To be honest, though, Savior was the only song from that record I remember being worth listening too.

hshduppsnt
06-19-2012, 08:30 PM
It works on my Android Phone. You have to have flash enabled, so it won't work on iPhones. Droids are superior, THE FUTURE IS NOW!!

actually if you go to bottom of rolling stone page (assuming you got mobile website) just hit "full site" and it will reload the page after trying to load an add then you can play the songs. Even on an iphone ;)

cool 2 hate 681
06-19-2012, 08:30 PM
yeah, it did, but the song wasn't released as a single until June 2009 and that's when it became popular. To be honest, though, Savior was the only song from that record I remember being worth listening too.

i really liked it i think it's the best rise against album

Outerspaceman21
06-19-2012, 08:34 PM

I disagree. Their last good album for me was The Sufferer & the Witness and that's all I'm gonna say about that. I don't want to derail the thread more than I have already.

Gregmau5
06-19-2012, 10:54 PM
I disagree. Their last good album for me was The Sufferer & the Witness and that's all I'm gonna say about that. I don't want to derail the thread more than I have already.

Agreed. Back on topic, I've only listened to TFIN so far, and it sounds great. I do agree the vocals are a bit too polished, but there is a great sound to it nevertheless. Not sure whether to finish my science assignment or to listen to the whole album. Hmm...

KyleW
06-19-2012, 11:11 PM
My iTunes could consist of the first 30 seconds of the new Dirty Magic and I would be content. My jaw is still at my ankles. Fucking amazing!

DividingByZero71
06-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Agreed. Back on topic, I've only listened to TFIN so far, and it sounds great. I do agree the vocals are a bit too polished, but there is a great sound to it nevertheless. Not sure whether to finish my science assignment or to listen to the whole album. Hmm...

You haven't listened to the rest yet? are you going to, or are you going to wait untill the 26th? If you are then thats strong will power you have. When I first read it was streamed, I wanted to wait untill the 26th to listen to the whole thing, but that lasted 6 seconds untill I cracked

Stylie
06-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Haha folks, I really wanted to post here yesterday and share the happiness with ya, but I've just moved into a new place so I don't have network there yet, only a bit on my (smart)phone (hah, saw someone comment that once). I was blown away just like you guys by the live video of Dividing and Slim Pickens, it's awesome, raw Offspring punk at its best! Love it. Then the album previewing just one day after the live video, so excited! - waiting for those 30 seconds previews some time now. Oh this fun time before we get a new album!

But I almost banged my head in the wall yesterday, hah. As said, the only device with network was my phone, and of course that would be really slow at that time. When I finally got to RollingStones, the preview didn't show up! I tried to download another browser, and with my superfast net it took a good time.. Still didn't work. The phone also restarted a couple of times, how lovely at that time! Also, logging in to the boards and asking someone her to upload it was kinda, ehm, cumbersome, because I didn't have my regular password so I would've go to my hotmail. And with my fast net that would also take forever. So I thought maybe it was up on youtube - bingo! And full songs! :eek: I had in my mind only 30 seconds preview.

So I couldn't help myself, had to listen to most of them, like OC Guns which I was really curious and excited for. And the live ones that we've heard before. And Dirty Magic.. :o :rolleyes: I have three songs left though, Secrets From The Underground, Hurting As One and I Wanna Secret Family (With You), gonna wait for them 'til I got the album in my bare hands.

But of what I've heard, which is over the half album - DANG! I think this album is gonna be really great. I mean like really, really great! I love how diverse it is - a dash of things they never ever done before, and actually NAIL it (OC Guns, All I have Left Is You guitar parts and vocals), and those classic Offspring punker songs. Sounds like they've got a really modern, uhm, "grown-up" sound, but still 110% The Offspring.

OC Guns is fantastic! And they really got it. The spanish, the reggae. I was a bit concerned when that "journalist" said it was like Intermission, and I understand a little bit of that like it's in the middle and kinda "pauses"/slow down the album a bit - but it really totally isn't. This is one of the coolest songs on the album.

One of my current favorites (I like all of the current songs I've heard, I even dig CC!), and as I see maybe don't get as much love that it deserves is All I Have Left Is You. Bravo The Offspring! Listening to it the first time, when the piano came in and I heard the first two chords, I sat there really hoping the rest of the chord progression would be really good, and it was exactly like I hoped. Really beautiful. And the guitar parts in this one is SO nice. It's also something we've never heard by them before. Dexter's singing is perfect. Such a good song. And after the second chorus I really hoped there would be a soft part again and not just rocking out the rest of the song, and it was. The build-up of this song is great, 5 minutes of pure harmony.

As I haven't heard too much on the others yet, I'm not gonna write about them (yet?). But they're just as awesome too! Dividing By Zero and Slim Pickens is pure awesomeness. But I'm writing from work now and heading home, so c'ya folks, enjoy the album!

Llamas
06-20-2012, 10:45 AM
One of my current favorites (I like all of the current songs I've heard, I even dig CC!), and as I see maybe don't get as much love that it deserves is All I Have Left Is You. Bravo The Offspring! Listening to it the first time, when the piano came in and I heard the first two chords, I sat there really hoping the rest of the chord progression would be really good, and it was exactly like I hoped. Really beautiful. And the guitar parts in this one is SO nice. It's also something we've never heard by them before. Dexter's singing is perfect. Such a good song. And after the second chorus I really hoped there would be a soft part again and not just rocking out the rest of the song, and it was. The build-up of this song is great, 5 minutes of pure harmony.

I agree! I think a lot of people just don't like gentler songs from the Offspring, but this one (like Denial, Revisited) is just done well.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-22-2012, 09:19 PM
gahhhhhhhhhhh!!! What an opening to an album!! and OC Guns?? I knew it was coming, but whhaaaaat!! hahaha!! I imagine a Gorillaz-esque version of the band playing it whilst strolling through the streets...followed by a Mariachi band who are actually all owls!!

Do I sense a new music video idea?

uashuashsaushuashusahusahuas

This is the Offsprings worst album ive ever listened! hahahha
Future is now and Divided By Zero are great songs!

But why re-record Dirty Magic???????

"OC guns" is ridiculous.. uahuaha Can u imagine this song in a live concert??
Better not imagine.. uhashuashuashua

"All i have left" makes me laugh so much.. this squishy voice doesnt make me feel anything, Dexter! uhasuhashuas sounds like Wallflowers or sth... uhsahusa

Days go By is that shit... foo fighters stuff

But thanks for THE FUTURE IS NOW, DIVIDED BY ZERO and TURNING INTO YOU!

More 3 songs on my Ipod..
Am I experiencing deja vu, or did you post that identical comment in another thread?

I thought I was going crazy for a second 'cause I could have sworn that ATR came out in '08. I'm glad I'm not crazy.

1. The Sufferer And The Witness
2. Siren Song Of The Counter Culture
3. Appeal To Reason
4. Revolutions Per Minute
5. Endgame
6. The Unraveling
I love 1-4 almost equally, and I don't like 5 and 6 very much.

On topic, I am in love with this album. I've been playing it over and over for the past few days.

cool 2 hate 681
06-22-2012, 09:34 PM
1. The Sufferer And The Witness
2. Siren Song Of The Counter Culture
3. Appeal To Reason
4. Revolutions Per Minute
5. Endgame
6. The Unraveling
I love 1-4 almost equally, and I don't like 5 and 6 very much.

same here:)